Sign in to follow this  
mondkalb

ZEUS Nam

don't think we've ever run it with a VD greater than 1km, though I'm pretty sure it'd run ok above that.

Best taking that with a pinch of salt seeing as I've not actually tried running it under such conditions.

To repeat the praise others have already said: fantastic island Mondkalb, definitely a personal favourite :)

First of all, great job Mondkalb, you keep amazing with what you can do for this game.

My little suggestion/idea is maybe you could place some default roads along your trails which are just plain island textures, run Visitor's smoothing roads script and then delete the roads. I think this way the paths would look more natural, would have less edgy bumps (I don't know if that effect is desired).

Again, great work.

What do you guys normally have your view distance set to when you play on this island?

We usually run it at 600 meters, everything above that is kinda wasted anyways, and it looks very nice with the jungle and all. Another benefit is that it keeps the fighting nicely condensed into a tight area, just what you want for the Nam. Must be some kind of psychological effect: If you can't see it, it doesn't exist.

Hum...

Can't find the riddles, I'm running nowhere in the Jungle for 2 hours!

Nothin' in the ruins, nothin' near the LZ, nothin' near the towns...

What the Hell?

Hum...

Can't find the riddles, I'm running nowhere in the Jungle for 2 hours!

Nothin' in the ruins, nothin' near the LZ, nothin' near the towns...

What the Hell?

So your kinda ridd-less :D

Just stick near the ruins.

Regarding the update:

I'm currently fiddling around with the animations. So far I got everything ingame. Even moving around works, though no animations are shown.

I was wondering whether anyone has got an unbinarised .rtm I can grab, so I can figure out where the problem lies.

Well this is another really great map Mondkalb,

One thing ive noticed and it probably has nothing to do with the map and more my settings, but when im in jungle areas the jungle floor at times seems overly bright, the clutter at times look unnaturally bright green? or its like the contrast between shade and sun is sometimes non existent?

Actually when i think about it maybe all maps are like that in forested areas, it just stands out for me in this map cos its a jungle and feels like the contrast should be stronger.

Anyway awesome work, thank you!

Well this is another really great map Mondkalb,

One thing ive noticed and it probably has nothing to do with the map and more my settings, but when im in jungle areas the jungle floor at times seems overly bright, the clutter at times look unnaturally bright green? or its like the contrast between shade and sun is sometimes non existent?

Actually when i think about it maybe all maps are like that in forested areas, it just stands out for me in this map cos its a jungle and feels like the contrast should be stronger.

Anyway awesome work, thank you!

It's ArmA 2's amazing HDR FPDR

Sadly...It can't be fixed.

Yeah, it's the HDR and how aperture seems to work (like a camera). Because of the dense forest, you don't get to see much of the significantly brighter sky. When "sky pixels" aren't there, the engine opens up the aperture to cause a "correct exposure", which would be correct for indoors.

Look up "how to use exposure compensation". Photographing bright snowy scenes, you actually have to increase the exposure, since the camera thinks "this is too bright, so I'm gonna lower the exposure to a good middle gray". Or in dark scenes, we may have to decrease the exposure, since the camera thinks "this is too dark, so I'm gonna increase the exposure to a good middle gray". In real life, the snow issue is the more common one, as there are very often bright spots in a dark scene that the camera don't want to overexpose/burn out. But in Arma, as we can see, this is rather frequent for dark scenes.

Coming up with a solution, even a theoretical one, is not easy. Maybe decreasing the leaf density in tree crowns? Would allow more "sky pixels" brightening the analyzed picture, and causing the auto correction amount to decrease? Not perfect given the setting. A mission designer can also force an exposure setting (completely turning off HDR). But use with care. Mixing indoors and outdoors, varying light and weather conditions, can make a mess out of it.

It's ArmA 2's amazing HDR FPDR

Sadly...It can't be fixed.

To quote an afro-american who is now in dire need of support "Yes we can".

Try HeinBloed's GDT HDR mod.

It works wonders at reducing (not eliminating) HDR to the level that best suits you.

I toyed with the idea I outlined in my above post, and came up with this. It's a mission approach to the problem. Might be problematic with GTD HDR (since both sets aperture), however mine doesn't touch the night issue (because I prefer it that way since it becomes more difficult to use, and usually for the right reasons). Not perfect though, but should work on any island on any day of the year since it's based on sun elevation.

Since 1.55 I can't load this wonderful map.

arma2oa.rpt gets spammed with "Buffer to small - nowhere to write the data" literally to the hilt - last time I tried it wrote it over 70,000 times :o

Moin moin Mondkalb!

A really fantastic Map!!!

We want to add your amazing work on our clan server but it crashes sometimes. The "Reciving..." screen is freeze and game is not working. :computer:

tested on:

Arma2 ->OA -> BAF and without BAF-> and finally african foliage...

system:

QC6600

Ati HD5830 1GB

4GB Ram

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P

I hope you can fix it:dancehead:

Weiter so ;-) gruss DSO

Apparently the latest Beta-Patch seems to fix some issues introduced with 1.55.

Maybe that could help. Other than that: No idea.

Mondkalb, do you know if the version of Berghoffs plants used on Icebreakrs Lingor is different than the version your using? I ask because Lingor runs amazingly, but it's much bigger than this map, yet this map runs...well...bad. I remember Ice saying something about having very optimized vegetation and I was wondering if you're using the same thing as him.

Mondkalb, do you know if the version of Berghoffs plants used on Icebreakrs Lingor is different than the version your using?

Ask him, not me... :j:

MBG Nam is -as stated in the readme- using Berghoff's African Vegetation 1.20.

So basically to play this now one would have to also get the latest beta patch?

Based on what I've seen in the many threads complaining of the damage v1.55 has done, you may not have the same problems I did.

In fact if I still turn up the view distance past about 5km I get crashes not only on MBG_Nam but even on Chernarus and other BIS-made maps and that's with build 75666.

Mondkalb, do you know if the version of Berghoffs plants used on Icebreakrs Lingor is different than the version your using? I ask because Lingor runs amazingly, but it's much bigger than this map, yet this map runs...well...bad. I remember Ice saying something about having very optimized vegetation and I was wondering if you're using the same thing as him.

I just tried lingor with same settings as this map(VD@1200 no more is needed here) and lingor ran much much heavier than this map.

Try place yourself on lingor at say grid x31,y75 and feel how heavy it gets when your surrounded by "dense" vegitation.

I just tried lingor with same settings as this map(VD@1200 no more is needed here) and lingor ran much much heavier than this map.

Try place yourself on lingor at say grid x31,y75 and feel how heavy it gets when your surrounded by "dense" vegitation.

Yes it's a little heavy, I get around 30 FPS, but on the rest of the island its always above 45 FPS, even up to 75 FPS.

While on Nam I barely get more than 25 FPS even at 500 VD, I run Lingor at 3500 VD.

Disregard that, I just tested Nam after downloading Lingor 1.0 and it runs amazingly! It must of been the version of Berghoffs Plants bundled with Lingor that really improves FPS. FPS in the high 50's now. :yay:

Edited by Enad

Lingor uses the same Berghoff's as MBG Nam. ;)