Sign in to follow this  
mondkalb

ZEUS Nam

UPDATED 20th October, 2010

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There we go, I finished my Island: MBG NAM

rs3w.th.jpg rs2l.th.jpg rs1c.th.jpg

A Landlocked terrain set in Vietnam. Laid out for infantry missions/action.

• 5km x 5km High Detail
  • Custom Objects
  • Rice Paddies
  • Dozens of detailed tracks/paths connecting the villages around the area.
  • Varying terrain (Hills, Valleys, Rivers, Plains, Swamps)
  • Independent of all Vietnam-Mods
  • Over two dozen environmental sounds
  • A beautiful road that motorcyclists would love
  • Waterfalls (Just place the "MBG Nam Waterfall Plugin" found under Modules (F7)
  • Old castle ruins
  • A small Riddle

MBG Nam Readme:

ADDON : MBG Nam made by Mondkalb

Version : 1.0

Release Date: 20th October, 2010

======================

CONTACT INFORMATION :

======================

Mondkalb@vr-web.de

======================

REQUIRED ADDONS:

======================

African foliage for ArmA II (v 1.20) by Berghoff

Link: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8523

Alternative Link: http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=addons&id=1447

======================

DESCRIPTION :

======================

A Landlocked terrain set in Vietnam. Laid out for infantry missions/action.

An ancient saga sais that the one being able to find, decipher and understand the ancient inscriptions scattered around the insland may find a huge reward...

==============================

CONTENT/FEATURES/CHANGES/BUGS :

-5km x 5km High Detail

-Custom Objects

-Rice Paddies

-Dozens of detailed tracks/paths connecting the villiages around the area.

-Varying terrain (Hills, Valleys, Rivers, Plains, Swamps)

-Independent of all Vietnam-Mods

-Over two dozen environmental sounds

-A beautiful road that motorcyclists would love, if it would exist in real-life

-Waterfalls (Just place the "MBG Nam Waterfall Plugin" found under Mofules (F7)

-Old castle ruins

-A small Riddle

CHANGELOG/BUGS/KNOWN ISSUES:

V1.0 Release

Issue: Entering the trench is a bit dodgy.

Solution: Simply deal with it. Transition between actual terrain and the trench-object is really causing me a hissy fit. Sorry.

Issue: The island crashes when being opened ingame (MP/SP).

Solution: Install the latest Version of Berghoff's African Foliage (V1.2). (Links to that file can be found above)

Issue: The Rice Paddy Borders turn over when "destroyed".

Solution: Sorry, but dont driver over them with tanks. I tried everything to fix it. Seems to be a problem related to binarisation.

======================

INSTALLATION :

======================

The PBO and Sign files in the archive need to be extracted into your ArmA/Addons folder.

However the mod folder method is the better solution.

Copy the following URL into your browser to view a Mod Folder Tutorial : http://tinyurl.com/armamodfolder

======================

CREDITS AND THANKS :

======================

Especially Toadball and Hund

Freesoundarchive

CGTextures

Mikero's Tools

ArmA World Tools

http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/vietlan.htm

======================

DISCLAIMER :

======================

I take no responsibility for (im)possible damage to your game/system that may be caused

by installation of this Addon. This Addon is also prohibited to be used in any commercial product.

This readme has been made by using the ArmedAssault.info Readme Generator.

Check ArmedAssault.info to get the latest ArmA news !

An ancient saga says that the one being able to find, decipher and understand the ancient inscriptions scattered around the island may find a huge reward...

Download: (82MB)

MBG Nam Mirror #1

MBG Nam Mirror #2

MBG Nam Mirror #3

MBG Nam Mirror #4

Required Addon:

Berghoffs African Foliage

Mirror #1

Mirror #2

Missions

All missions require Unsung Mod and MBG Nam

UNS Co 06 Escape

On the trip to your FOB the helicopter you were aboard crashed. You survived the crash but lost all communications equipment and you don't have any maps of the area.

The only thing you know: The nearest LZ is north west. Reach it.

This mission is ideal for the first trip to the island. Explore the island whilst having a goal and facing some enemies.

Do not play the mission on any other difficulty than expert. Use ACRE for more immersion.

UNS Co 08 River Patrol

Two 4-man LRRP squads are sent by boat to gather intel from a Vietnamese village behind enemy lines.

The players are actually able to shoot out of the boat whilst driving.

Use your A and D keys to change the facing of your character. Setting a high floating zone for this mission is recommended.

UNS co 12 Hearts and Minds

A 12 man squad is being dropped into the jungle and tasked to check three local villages for VC.

UNS Co 06 Metal Men

Two Tanks were dispatched to a unit stationed 200km east. You are playing as these Tank Crews and need to cross the country occupied by large amounts of local guerilla.

UNS Co 24 LZ Certain Death

Hold the LZ until helicopters come and pick you up. This should happen in about 20 Minutes after the mission starts.

Use flares...

Download (400KB)

- - - - - - - - -

ZEUS Vietnam Mission Pack Mirror #1

ZEUS Vietnam Mission Pack Mirror #2

ZEUS Vietnam Mission Pack Mirror #3

Click here for the Original WIP Announcement.

Yep, yet another Vietnam Map...

Its a 5km X 5km Island, so supposedly not very big. But this Island has only one road, the rest are just foot-trails. So, when playing as an infantry squad, you're going to spend a lot of time in the area...

Intention of this project is to get an Vietnam Island being made for certain missions we have in mind.

Plus: I am fixing some issues that some good jungle islands currently have. For example AI seeing through the jungle.

Also I'm trying to maintain a decent standard of quality.

Currently the Project is just 100% me, so, if my fellow People of Zeus would bother helping me out... *HINT!*

But, as usual: Less talk, more pictures:

Prototype Rice Paddies - Closeup

A new Hut...

Trenches...

Around the "Sum Dum Phuc"-River.

A lovely footbridge over a stream

A waterfall...

Edited by Mondkalb
Released the Island + Added DL links

Great to see your making another map, can the AI use the footbridge out of curiosity?

Currently not, as I forgot to put the bridge as an LAND_ Object into cfgVehicles. Therefore the AI does not recognize it as anything but an obstacle. :rolleyes:

But when I'm re-binarizing the island the AI should dare across the rope-bridge.

But when I'm re-binarizing the island the AI should dare across the rope-bridge.

Well that would be a sight to see considering AIs current bridge crossing capability.

Be cool to see your version of a jungle as most jungle or heavy forest maps give a big performance hit for me therefore rendering them pretty much unplayable

Here's an update:

31131366.th.jpg 45374239.th.jpg

Currently I'm trying to figure out the best mix between density of jungle and framerate. So far I'm very confident that I've found a good solution. Framerate is good and steady on my "old" rig.

(Radeon 4870, 1GB VRam, 4Gb Ram, Q6600 @2.4 GHz)

Subject to change now is the grass-clutter in mid-jungle. Currently I'm using Berghoff's, which is giving everything an African touch. But that'll change.

Later the day I had changed the environmental sounds. 27 different sounds are used on the Island. And 17 of them (all kinds of different animals) will randomly play in the jungle.

All I'll now focus on is putting more detail into the little villages. Ricebags, wagons, clothes lines... All that sort of clutter to make it look nice and provide decent cover in a firefight.

Also I'm confident that the Island will be released next Wednesday. Maybe even earlier. It all depends on the mission makers at ZEUS. No point in releasing an Island without proper missions.

this looks good, and just as a suggestion, maby you and the Unsung Mod Team could work togather?? just a thought tho! also they got good quality trees and plants that im sure they may share if asked nicely!

Dave,

Edited by soldier2390

Awesome looking island, can't wait to see it finished.

this looks good, and just as a suggestion, maby you and the Unsung Mod Team could work togather?? just a thought tho! also they got good quality trees and plants that im sure they may share if asked nicely!

Dave,

I don't know, but I think Mr. Mondkalb is trying to keep this project independent, so any fan of vietnam era warfare can enjoy his island, no matter what 'nam mod they use.

Just got a question for you Mondkalb, what CAN'T you do? :p

Finally all the Environment Sounds have been sorted out, so I started on putting in jungle, which is coming along quite nicely and with good performance at 1.5km viewdistance. But how the performance really behaves can only said when I've finished piling in jungle.

As Mr. Hund kept on harassing me about Vietnamese and them not having tarmac, I got around making a new road, which is an absolutely painful task to do, as you need to get the road-texture seamless and mirrorable.

But, as usual: "Pix or didn' happen!"

33550258.th.jpg ye2r.th.jpg

ye3l.th.jpg ye4x.th.jpg

Just got a question for you Mondkalb, what CAN'T you do?

Smooth Animations and not hate communists.

Edited by Mondkalb

That's looking smart! The terrain has a lot of character.

The rocks in the first screenshot look nice. You may want to have a lot more places like this with rocks that can be used as cover so that trees aren't the only thing you can try hiding behind.

looks like a great map Mondkalb keep up the great work. also is there going to be any coast line or is it a land locked map?

regards

It looks like i'm finally getting a proper island for my Vietnam missions, it looks very nice :cool:

Please don't "over-clutter" the undergrowth, it looks fine on the pictures though.

weiter2.th.jpg weiter1.th.jpg

weiter3.th.jpg weiter4.th.jpg

Island is nearly complete. All that's keeping me from releasing this work is some proper missions to go hand-in-hand with the release. :)

WOW! Great job!

I guess now someone will end up knocking at your door if you don't release it soon..lol jk :D

It must have been a lot of work...thanks!!!

BTW:: waiting for the release to start working on a vietnam era mission...infantry missions will be great inside that forest..

Edited by ArmaholicBR

Looks like I'm getting busy placing claymores on sides of roads soon >: D

While the last few tweaks and changes are being made, work on missions for the island has started.

Here's a short teaser of one of the missions that'll come with the island:

unsco08riverpatrol.jpg

UNS Co 08 River Patrol

Two 4-man LRRP squads are sent by boat to gather intel from a Vietnamese village behind enemy lines.

The players are actually able to shoot out of the boat whilst driving.

Use your A and D keys to change the facing of your character. Setting a high floating zone for this mission is recommended.