Do anyone here have experience with running ASR AI as a mod on a dedicated server? Pros and cons?

So far I have left to see any major differences. Im running it together with GL4 and the Zeus AI findcover.pbo The smoke feature works good, as thats easy to spot. :) I have also seen some good flanking action, but not sure what makes that work. Might even be a mission based script.

I am actually developing this primarily for dedicated servers, since all I play is coop.

I would also love to hear about servers where it's deployed, how many users, big missions etc.

Major things that quickly come to mind and should be quite visible (compared to vanilla AI):

- AI reactions

- AI rearming

- AI shooting more human-like (since 1.10)

- Dynamic view distance adjustment on the server - allows you to have high day view distances and prevent AI from cheating when it gets dark and foggy.

Server view distance dictates how far AI will be able to track your movement once they detected you.

Update 1.10 on the way, will post it after a quick final test.

Edited by Robalo_AS

So to put in an other way: ASR AI is the soldiers brain/hand AI, not group manouvers and so on? Id like to call that micro AI.

I will be sure to post my experiences in this thread. Im very happy to hear that you have dedis in mind. :D

It is however very time consuming to test ai mods in comparison to vanilla. Ill see what i can do.

So to put in an other way: ASR AI is the soldiers brain/hand AI, not group manouvers and so on? Id like to call that micro AI.

Yeah, sort of. I'm just teaching the AI some new tricks. The stock AI never ceases to amaze me, players often give merit to some AI mod when they see the AI acting smart, but when in fact that's just the engine (well, tweaked correctly of course :))

I will be sure to post my experiences in this thread. Im very happy to hear that you have dedis in mind. :D

It is however very time consuming to test ai mods in comparison to vanilla. Ill see what i can do.

Thanks!

Update 1.10 on the way, will post it after a quick final test.

Hi Rob,

lovin' this mod, it's actually hard to play without it.

While you're testing the next version, can you please have a look at the rearming from BIS backpacks? My experience from last weekend's sessions is, that they don't arm from their own backpacks nor from the backpacks of their team mates. My team guys prefer to grab an AK from OPFOR while having 4 mags for their own rifle in their own backpacks; they don't touch it even in safe mode! You have to drop a backpack for them to recognize it as a crate.

Thanx for continiously developping this. It's one of those must have mods.

Guess Who:

That should be fixed since 1.8, are you running latest ? (1.9).

But I'll test it.

Guess Who:

That should be fixed since 1.8, are you running latest ? (1.9).

But I'll test it.

Yep, running 1.9. Doesn't work in 1.8 either. Backpack was a custom version inherited from the KSK packs. I did a little test mission with vanilla BAF soldiers though; just put down a group of Rifleman (Backpack) in Desert and removeMagazines of all of them. No one grabs a mag out of his backpack. Using CBA version 0.7.6.160.

Thanx for looking into it.

While you still haven't released it is it possible to have AI precision in this mod higher than vanilla? Meaning after fixes in a few recent betas even at 1.0 friendly units completely lose in the amount of kills to me which kinda feels like I'm not just a cog in the big machine anymore

Yep, running 1.9. Doesn't work in 1.8 either. Backpack was a custom version inherited from the KSK packs. I did a little test mission with vanilla BAF soldiers though; just put down a group of Rifleman (Backpack) in Desert and removeMagazines of all of them. No one grabs a mag out of his backpack. Using CBA version 0.7.6.160.

Thanx for looking into it.

Bug found and squashed, thanks for reporting.

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

While you still haven't released it is it possible to have AI precision in this mod higher than vanilla? Meaning after fixes in a few recent betas even at 1.0 friendly units completely lose in the amount of kills to me which kinda feels like I'm not just a cog in the big machine anymore

Default accuracy will be raised a bit but kept under control so playing 4-6 against several patrols shooting at you through clutter from distance won't make you ragequit :D

I've added a some more things so I'll need to test a bit more, will probably release 1.10 tomorrow.

Bug found and squashed, thanks for reporting.

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

I've added a some more things so I'll need to test a bit more, will probably release 1.10 tomorrow.

Well, thanx for squashing! :D Looking forward to the new version.

Thank you very much for this improvement mod Mr Robalo.

I'm really looking forward to the next updated version of this great mod.

Fantastic work.:bounce3:

Default accuracy will be raised a bit but kept under control so playing 4-6 against several patrols shooting at you through clutter from distance won't make you ragequit :D

Nice. Will surely test it when it's ready

Hey man, how to disable the debug where its saying in the right hand corner about

AI Rearming Enabled ... I looked in the configs and nothing! thanks.

Hey man, how to disable the debug where its saying in the right hand corner about

AI Rearming Enabled ... I looked in the configs and nothing! thanks.

That only shows when you trigger the change via 0-8-Equipment AI menu and it can't be disabled.

If you see that at startup then you're running an outdated version. See red notes in post 255

Its in the corner, and always has been.. lol ive got latest update :S ill download again and check and then let you know soon, sorry.

Just make sure you don't have asr_vfai.pbo anywhere, if you do, then get rid of it, that's a really old version of the rearming component.

Well it wasnt my version until I noticed what you said above! lol... it was the asr_vfai which was messing it up! working fine now, thanks alot mate :)

When you update it's best to delete old version first and then copy the new version. That way you won't have old files sneak in your mod folder. Sometimes updates remove files too, not just change them! :)

Updated in first post. Changes:

New configs for sensitivity (how well a unit sees) and camouflage (how easily a unit is seen) based on unit type and clothing.

Units are able to passively detect targets farther than before (about 400-600m depending on type and skill instead of about 300m).

Added configs for AI shooting (engagement ranges, fire mode selection and rate of fire).

Integrated my AI grenadier fix mod v1.3 (remove these addons if you have them: asr_cfgweapons_fix_grenadiers, asr_cfgweapons_fix_grenadiers_oa, asr_weaponreplacements).

Increased default accuracy skills a bit (they're tuned for use with latest betas).

Configured the recommended skill and precision defaults (open difficulty settings and hit default for them to be applied).

Disabled smoke when ACE Wounding module is enabled (redundant feature since last ACE update).

Added small delay (5-10 sec) before applying skills so we can set the "asr_ai_sys_aiskill_exclude" variable in advance (see v1.3 changelog notes).

Pilots and crewmen will no longer arm themselves with rocket launchers.

AI soldiers should not engage infantry with HEAT rockets.

Bugfixed: rearming from backpacks working again.

Bugfixed: was unable to re-enable rearming after disabling it during the mission.

Thanks for update Robalo ! Appreciate the time and effort you put in !

great work ! thanks. Will snipers engage and shoot from afar after the range adjustment?

great work ! thanks. Will snipers engage and shoot from afar after the range adjustment?

Will they passively detect targets at 1000m ? No

Will they shoot at targets that they're aware of at 1000m ? Yes

Will they passively detect targets at 1000m ? No

Will they shoot at targets that they're aware of at 1000m ? Yes

awesome.your work should be in the official patch. :D