@Ugly: Officers and snipers are even more attractive targets :) Pretty sure it's not this mod changing that, that's rather default game's AI behaviour, they evaluate threat and cost config for each unit type and based on that decide in what order to engage. I'm actually considering leveling them, because often players do not stick with the weapon for their class, while they're still evaluated as higher threats because of the unit type config (stock BIS settings).

Hmmm, I never noticed that kind of priority before, I guess that with your AI mod it becomes amplified in some way.

It would indeed be better to level that. I understand when an MG starts shooting at you that it would be more attractive to shoot at it more than other threats, but to ignore other more easily hit targets is probably an over zealous example of target fixation, I had not realised it was a BIS function.

Keep up the good work......

Flanking.... I was testing out MCC Sandbox the other day and dropped a stick of enemy paras at the far end of the southern runway, but lost sight of them presuming something was wrong with the scripts. 5 mins later they charged me from behind, having sneaked all the way behind the buildings to outflank me, without firing a single shot, sneaker ((%*#$ ers ! - Nice work :)

Hey Robalo. I will write up an explanation for 20343 tomorrow but the bottomline is that it is a good idea for something like ASR implemented on an "official" level in ACE as a module...

Because missions created with ASR in mind and without ASR in mind play very differently and sometimes get completely ruined by either a presence or the lack of it.

And ASR adds quite a lot of realism to AI behaviour right now so it's only along the line of ACE

I'd like to know how this can ruin missions, so I can fix it, because I've taken precautions for this not to (and it's a main design principle).

It's due to the info sharing.

I think the good and quick example will be Clean Sweep mission of CWR2 demo.

When playing without ASR the mission goes well, just like in OFP - you go into the village, you pop some heads, you extract.

With ASR as soon as you start killing and enemies spot you - you have every enemy there attacking you at once making you go against impossible odds.

Yes it's certainly realistic and I like it normally as that's what soldiers will do - but in missions not made with ASR in mind and taking place around the same area it may hurt the gameplay.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's something else there - but in other missions that's pretty much what info sharing causes.

Edited by metalcraze

I'm pretty sure you can just disable that in the userconfig file for ASR, by setting

//asr_ai_sys_aiskill_radionet = 1;

to 0 instead of 1. That disables the info sharing between AI squads.

I'm pretty sure you can just disable that in the userconfig file for ASR, by setting

//asr_ai_sys_aiskill_radionet = 1;

to 0 instead of 1. That disables the info sharing between AI squads.

Correct. But even with it enabled, it's pretty slow to propagate, so it must be something else. It's up to how you play too. When you engage an enemy group, take it out quickly to avoid them sending your location to others. If you're up against too many of them, you should not even be engaging them. Run and hide.

Indeed. And, if I may offer my two cents, I've been using your addon pretty much religiously as of late, and I'm not seeing the kind of AI-mobbing tactics that are being described, either.

I think the only time I ever really noticed it was when I was setting up a mission as a member of a platoon of troops that kept finding some... unexpected air support from a friendly helo that was supposed to simply fly past us, move a few kilometers north, and then turn around and assist. It kept engaging early, I realized, because my AI buddies were reporting contacts to the helo, who I hadn't remembered to set to not engage until I needed it to. All it took was a change in behavior and a slightly altered waypoint to make things act as they should have.

But even then, it was due to my mistake as a mission-maker, not the addon. If anything, ASR's AI-reporting is a LOT less invasive than, say... GL4's, who will indeed mob the first contact they run into. Sure, they're more alert, and I need to think harder when I'm planning ingress routes and such, but I haven't yet had a mission, vanilla or otherwise, ruined by the AI radio net.

Hello, I'm using 1.6 ASR AI+ACE2(1.3.0.373) with ARMA2 OA 1.59.

I can see ASR AI and ACE2 icons in the main menu but the ASR AI don't seems to be working.

AI never turn on their IR in the night, neither regular army troops nor D-boys, despite they all got IR in their guns.

Any idea why?

Edited by norlandis

Well if you are running the ACE2 A2 only version then that could cause problems, try getting the latest for OA

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12155

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12158

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12157

that is the latest ACE stable, for the betas (which almost everyone uses instead of stables) you must download six updater, which is available off of dev heaven.

Personally though I have not tested whether IR lasers are on or not yet.

norlandis: You're using wrong ACE version, grab the latest for OA.

Also, this mod does not force AI to use IR at night. You can order AI in your group to turn them on (select units, hit 6 then enable lasers). Then there are also ways to do it by scripting in the mission design. All of this is OA default behaviour.

The only thing this mod does related to that is that when used with ACE, AI will select either IR or flashlight more intelligently when they have both on the weapon (have NVG -> IR; no NVG -> flashlight).

Updated again.

CHANGELOG

=========

1.7 | 12 JUL 2011

Dedicated servers will continually change the view distance based on the initial VD, time of day and fog conditions.

Can be disabled in userconfig with asr_ai_sys_aiskill_serverdvd = 0;

Cars removed from the list of units what were "helped" to hear gunshots. They're hardcore enough by default.

Doubled accuracy for AI snipers (they were too inaccurate) and machine gunners (reduced ff due to extreme spread).

Skills are now applied without delay, as soon as the units are initialized.

Simplified soldier cost config, only 3 target importance levels.

Improved AI rearming support for the CWR2 mod.

Also updated recommended difficulty settings in post #20

Updated again.

CHANGELOG

=========

1.7 | 12 JUL 2011

Dedicated servers will continually change the view distance based on the initial VD, time of day and fog conditions.

Can be disabled in userconfig with asr_ai_sys_aiskill_serverdvd = 0;

Cars removed from the list of units what were "helped" to hear gunshots. They're hardcore enough by default.

Doubled accuracy for AI snipers (they were too inaccurate) and machine gunners (reduced ff due to extreme spread).

Skills are now applied without delay, as soon as the units are initialized.

Simplified soldier cost config, only 3 target importance levels.

Improved AI rearming support for the CWR2 mod.

Also updated recommended difficulty settings in post #20

Thanks for the continued work Robalo :) this has become my favoured AI enhancer addon :) I use it with SLX.

Robaldo,

In the userconfig, many of the options are commented out with //.

Yet you seem to imply that the on/off switch is actually the end 0/1.

Can I please confirm what the // lines achieve if left as default from the downloaded userconfig, I presume nothing ?

The values that are commented are also the defaults. Simply removing the // without changing anything else will achieve nothing.

Robaldo

Wow, thanks for the quick reply :)

Hi,

This is a great piece of work! I have a couple of requests for a future version that would help me out enourmously...

1. You mentioned a few posts back about adding a 're-arm now' action. This would be very useful as in the middle of a firefight in a heavy script mission, the AI don't always react fast enough (or at all) to rearm from dead colleagues/enemies when their main weapon runs out of ammo.

2. It would be good if you could make the search range for ammo boxes / vehicles / camps a parameter. It's currently hard coded at a 50 radius by the looks of the code and on a big map mission it would be good to be able to set this in a global variable.

Other than that, keep up the great work!!

Foxhound & Old Bear: Thanks !

Jedra:

1. Instead of that "Rearm Now" feature, I just made player's AI check for gear a lot more often, a few times every second actually since version 1.5. It was just easier to implement it this way. The AI will not take more than a minute to grab a new weapon if it's available, unless it's combat mode was set to stealth, then by design that will halt rearming.

Also, don't forget there's also a game feature, if you want, select the unit, press 6 then "take weapon x" so this should be pretty much covered in all aspects.

Otherwise, if it's not functioning, I'd like to see some repro steps/mission.

2. Sure, I will make the search radius a parameter.

AI radio net: is it possible that friendly AI could mark the map of known enemies position with a temporary marker?

Your map will get spammed really fast that way. It will be a mess.

Although I can see the usefulness of this if only spotted vehicles like APCs and Tanks will be marked on Side channel (that's what we, humans, do in a tactical coop anyway)

Also about the new recommended settings.

0.4 precision for veteran? Am I missing something important here because currently I have friendly precision set to 0.75 and skill to 0.85, while in the mission itself they have the skill slider all to 1.0 - and yet I still manage to get 20 frags while they do 3-4.

Foxhound & Old Bear: Thanks !

Jedra:

1. Instead of that "Rearm Now" feature, I just made player's AI check for gear a lot more often, a few times every second actually since version 1.5. It was just easier to implement it this way. The AI will not take more than a minute to grab a new weapon if it's available, unless it's combat mode was set to stealth, then by design that will halt rearming.

Also, don't forget there's also a game feature, if you want, select the unit, press 6 then "take weapon x" so this should be pretty much covered in all aspects.

Otherwise, if it's not functioning, I'd like to see some repro steps/mission.

2. Sure, I will make the search radius a parameter.

Thanks for the response - appreciated.

I am currently using this on a very script heavy mission with lots of combat happening, so that is probably what is causing my AI guys to seem a little lethargic! It's a sandbox mission, so it is difficult to reproduce an exact scenario. I did test ASR_AI in desert though and it does work as expected.

I take your point regarding the vanilla command menu - it is what I have been using. It would just be an easier step to select it from the action menu and then let the AI decide where to re-arm from. Given the script heavy nature of this mission though, I might just end up with the same problem! Erm, perhaps I will just have to make my mission more script efficient ;-)

Making the radius a global would be most excellent - I will look forward to that.

Instead of that "Rearm Now" feature, I just made player's AI check for gear a lot more often, a few times every second actually since version 1.5. It was just easier to implement it this way.

Checking several times a second! Doesn't sound very realistic and sounds quite CPU intensive, particularly with large numbers of AI.

Don't get me wrong, I love your just trying to improve it!

How do I, for example, I dont want to use the AI skills (I want to use BIS default AI) but I want to have the AI rearming while playing?

Is it as simple as removing the desired pbo, or I can disable something in the userconfig file?