Sign in to follow this  
jdmt

DLC - USMC Deploys to Takistan

Camo really can be done by modders, and quite easily (in fact was already done mostly afaik), so I don't think many would pay for that. Thermal textures and other OA features, on the other hand, are only possible if made by BIS - Modders would have to completely re-make the equipment, while BIS only needs to update it.

so why not get paid for the hard work of upgrading the old content to new standards?

Because upgrading the old content to new standards was something that BIS had to do in OA. OA didn't update almost anything, only breaking some AA2 stuff instead.

Do you really want to pay BIS for fixes now?

Jeez why not start to release stable patches for $5 like certain battlefront.coms and be done with it finally if people want (no actually demand) to be ripped off so badly?

Edited by metalcraze

OA didn't update almost anything, only breaking some AA2 stuff instead.

Thats great logic.

The new content (which works FINE btw) has new features, but the old content (which BI were nice enough to provide an easy method of merging together) doesnt have some of the new features. so now its broken?

I think you'll find the AA2 content works perfectly fine in AA2 and the OA content works perfectly fine in OA. Also, the AA2 content works in OA as advertised. I.e. without ALL the features of OA content.

Why do you guys get so defensive when people talk about paid DLC, if you don't want it, you don't have to buy it. Obviously BIS will give us all those upgrades in a future patch, probably the one that goes with this suggested DLC, as for the rest of it:

Where do I buy it, how much, and when does pre-ordering start? (My attitude towards ALL of BIS DLC).

Edited by JDMT

ywah, i concur to this suggestion. USMC to Takistan... (Also US Army to Chernarus, but thats another qeation) ;)

Thats great logic.

The new content (which works FINE btw) has new features, but the old content (which BI were nice enough to provide an easy method of merging together)

Thank you BIS for making an original game work together with an addon. It's totally not a small feat even though the majority of addons on the market do update the original content.

Right?

doesnt have some of the new features. so now its broken?

I think you'll find the AA2 content works perfectly fine in AA2 and the OA content works perfectly fine in OA. Also, the AA2 content works in OA as advertised. I.e. without ALL the features of OA content.

Actually certain AA2 content doesn't work properly in OA - I wrote in the neighbouring thread which one exactly, but guess I can repeat it here - some AA2 vehicles don't have damage textures anymore - like AH64 and ChDKZ cars (this is easily seen in the second mission of EW, as well as when you place those units in editor and set their armor to 0), civ conversations are disabled - while they weren't ideal - this detracts from Chernarussian as well as certain tactical experience, voice overs don't work for certain modules like the artillery support one anymore (in AA2 there are some quite nice comms going on when you order and arti-strike, in OA it's just "Over, Out, Over, Out, Over, Out" even though all audio files went nowhere and there are huge subtitles on the screen). There's some other stuff that I don't quite remember now.

So basically the only point in having AA2 installed together with OA is to have a model/island pack and nothing else. They could've at least made all those lasers and flashlights work on original weapons. Defunkt did it instead of BIS all on his own in his free time, so why not professional developers?

Why do you guys get so defensive when people talk about paid DLC, if you don't want it, you don't have to buy it.

Uh huh.

Except then it's either being unable to play on the server or being forced to watch models with ugly textures.

When you install OA you are 100% sure that everyone else have it exactly the same way. With many furniture-pack DLCs (with people wanting reskin for money that they can just DL from Armaholic instead) it will turn into a complete mess.

This is why proper addons are needed instead of DLC. Addons have so much new stuff and improvements that everyone will get them in the end and they will last for a loooong while

Edited by metalcraze

It's totally not a small feat even though the majority of addons on the market do update the original content.

Please name some addons or expansion packs which add new functionality to a game, and also update the ENTIRE back-catalog of data.

And remember that we're talking a LOT of content here in AA2, not just your 2 tank/2 apc/2 jeep BFBC2 or MW2 teeny-tiny games...

I actually do not understand why they arent making their prime game (which will be here for a couple of future years until some A3 or death in ashes) as much complex and variable as they could do. They've given us Brits that we can use in Chernarus and in Takistan...great. I appreciate that, at least one faction to use anywhere.

But we have US Army, ACR, KSK which we can use only in desert, with lasers, TWS, flashlights and stuff like that. And we have USMC and Russians which we can use only in woodland env. and without all of that great stuff from OA.

Please...its just these few factions to reskin (OA content) and give USMC and Russians new equipment, only few weapons to upgrade with flashlites and TWS and only few dozens of vehicles to add TWS layers etc speaking about A2 content....its really that much for BIS team of pros to do for another "A2 to OA standards DLC" for about 10-20 bucks? I dont think so.

Why not make ArmA 2 perfect and variable if its just this simple? I would definitely pay for this piece'a'work.

i wouldn't pay 10 bucks for reskins...

+1

The new british DLC is great. New Models, New Textures all in very high quality. Just what I wanted. No simple reskins.

+1

The new british DLC is great. New Models, New Textures all in very high quality. Just what I wanted. No simple reskins.

Yeah...you totally dont get that you would have complex and variable game with all units in the same standard and in all camo versions to use anywhere you wish. And all of'em in super quality like BAF. Srsly...thats not worth skipping one dinner in restaurant? :yay::bounce3:

in regards to woodland skins...

I like them in the desert!! :P

5-5.jpg

size0-army.mil-30433-2009-02-18-070245.jpg

r340797_1550446.jpg

JK.

Proper marine units would be nice though:o

How do I go about getting a poll on here?

Question: Will you buy it?

A1: Yes

A2: No

A3: Maybe

I don't think so. Since I think that CO should have gotten desert USMC when OA came out, I certainly wouldn't pay for it.

Edit: A2

For a next DLC :

Fix the M14, add M14 EBR,put the laser and retractable m203 sight working on M4\M16, add Desert Marines and m27 IAR, FMTV trucks for the US Army, give BW specops wheels,challanger2 and Iveco LMV for the british armed forces, mh-60 DIAP,CZ 805 Bren for the CZ armed forces, another opfor with french, russian,chinese mix weapons and finaly 2 new island or one big island.i will pay without a question.

Edited by upredictable

For a next DLC :

Fix the M14, add M14 EBR,put the laser and retractable m203 sight working on M4\M16, add Desert Marines and m27 IAR, FMTV trucks for the US Army, give BW specops wheels,challanger2 and Iveco LMV for the british armed forces, mh-60 DIAP,CZ 805 Bren for the CZ armed forces, another opfor with french, russian,chinese mix weapons and finaly 2 new island or one big island.i will pay without a question.

PS. and fix the most bugs possible.

That should fix whit a "Patch" not whit a "DLC" ;)

USMC (and russia) brought up to OA standard is exactly what I want for free thanks to the money I just paid for BAF DLC.

This is a fix and it belongs to a patch, not a DLC.

I would buy a new island or any other stuff that can help finance this and other fixes, but I won't pay for what I see as "a fix"

USMC (and russia) brought up to OA standard is exactly what I want for free thanks to the money I just paid for BAF DLC.

This is a fix and it belongs to a patch, not a DLC.

Operation Arrowhead was a standalone expansion(EDIT: standalone expansion = a new game in itself), so they made no obligation to upgrade the old content with FLIR and the like. So in other words, there is nothing wrong with the old content that needs to be "fixed".

The money you paid for the BAF dlc was for the BAF content, what on earth makes you think you paid for upgraded USMC and Russia????

@Jelliz :

1) Though it was also a standalone product, the compatibility with Arma 2 was promoted as a strong selling point for OA and Combined OP. Thus, it's not far fetched to expect full compability of those units, especially when many of them (Mi24, BMPs, Hummvees, apache etc...) are already done for other factions. You also get the new FLIR function in Harvest Red, but not the thermal maps... It sounds like a 50% done job.

2) It was stated that DLC also serve the purpose of financing patch development, as shown with 1.54. That's also 50% of the reason why I bought BAF (though it turned out better than I thought). Hence, if the BAF DLC is a success (not only break even, but makes a profit), I'm expecting part of that profit to be reinvested in the game development, which includes putting all CO units on par. If it barely breaks even or doesn't recoup it's costs, well, then I'm not expecting more than what I already have.

3) For a new player buying Combined operations + BAF, how can you justify that 50% of the game he bought is up to date, while 50% isn't working right (no flir, lasers...).

Edited by EricM

Actually, Vilas, having updated OFP islands sounds interesting. I never played OFP so it would be pretty neat to try them, especially up to OA specs/quality. :D

please try it

OFP is great, campaign... suuuuuuper

atmosphere, please try it, it is worthy, no matter of quality, it is worthy

I'd buy an upgraded to OA standards USMC pack, with desert and temperate options. I would also like to see BIS reskins of the US Army vehicles to fit in Chernarus. Russians so updated would be nice as well.

I am somewhat encouraged with the inclusion of the non-desert troops and vehicles in the British pack, which tells me that Chernarus has not been abandoned. I think that BIS must be at least mulling this over. Let's hope that they decide that it is economically viable.

I'm not sure if I would pay for something like this. I'm pretty sure I would, but I wouldn't be happy about it. But I would absolutely love to have (an official) M4/M16 with alternate sights, lasers, and flashlights. Possibly have a Weapons Pack DLC that includes these, along with a ton of other unique weapons? Then to add the Marines, have a Marine and Navy combined DLC? I don't know, either way I want an M4 with a NEW holographic (not the crappy one from ArmA 2) and flashlight.