Sign in to follow this  
JDog

USS Nimitz - WIP

Yea sorry no updates really. Textures are going... quite slowly. I've mostly been toying with the scripts, trying to make the catapults/arrestors work in multiplayer, but I've kinda hit a dead end. I'll get it sorted sooner or later.

So testing scripts and such, I run across something with the F14. It's been out for a while so might be a known issue idk, but first time I've come across it, and wow:

xbzY_i5CwBc

Edited by JDog

On note of the textures you may want to tile instead of full "UV", for example you could get a much more sharp surface if you use a tiled texture that would instead fill the entire top, then add the add the markings on top of flat polygonal planes, like decals.

That is for example how Crysis did it, I wasn't going to mention anything about it until I saw the ship formation you used, very similar to the final level.

Also that is some freaky light show.

Edited by NodUnit

Yea that's a good idea, I hadn't considered that for the deck actually, because of the markings. So your idea would be to have 2 layers of polygons for the deck, the top most being textured with transparency and the markings, while the bottom is tiled? I don't know how that would look anywhere but up close. It seems that sometimes if polygons are too close to each other, the bottom one starts to show through sometimes.

Re F14 Afterburner bug.

I forgot to get that fixed when Eble and i were working on this addon.Its a simple fix.We need to use the AB script from the last A1 release of the RKT_F16,it was fixed in that addon and should have been added to the other aircraft,F4,F14 and F15.

Thanx for reminding us.:)

Also,

Eble if ya read this check ya Pm box m8.

Cool. Upgrade it while you're at it! :D

Good news: W00t catapult scripts work 100% online now, FINALLY. This has been driving me crazy the past few days. Never done multiplayer scripting before. The arrestors shouldn't be too hard to convert. Then I can get to work on textures.

Yea that's a good idea, I hadn't considered that for the deck actually, because of the markings. So your idea would be to have 2 layers of polygons for the deck, the top most being textured with transparency and the markings, while the bottom is tiled? I don't know how that would look anywhere but up close. It seems that sometimes if polygons are too close to each other, the bottom one starts to show through sometimes.

That is the gist yes. Up close you could probably raise the decals by a bit and the player likely wouldn't really even notice unless you raise it high enough that when prone they see it floating..decals won't cast shadows so typically you could have it several inches from the ground and nobody would be the wiser.

For problems of Z fighting and such at high altitudes you could raise the decals a bit more so the textures don't fight over who gets screentime.

Yea he already said I could use/modify his CIWS for when I want to put it on the carrier. Also trying to work with F2F to get his RAM in there also. (I love that other people have made these models I was going to have to do).

I haven't had time at all this week really though, had to make a small website, plus school, plus daily stuff... bleh. Not that I'm looking forward to doing textures haha, but I wanna get back to work on this.

Update: I'm done with some stuff I had to do, so I should have time to get back to work on it this week. Hopefully I'll have SOMETHING to show you guys next weekend, but no promises. That is if I'm not too busy playing my 360 for the first time in months come Tuesday.

Edited by JDog

Began working on interior decor today (TONS to do), starting with the briefing room. Coming out kinda cool, I'm eager to finish it and get it all scripted. Hoping/looking forward to seeing some mission-makers take advantage of it when this gets released :) Might release the elements in it separately afterwards also, so people can use it outside the carrier.

I will definitely be using this in my missions, I'm already thinking about several things this can be used for :D Great work JDog as always, one of the biggest contributions to the modding community without a doubt :)

Great work! Don't always comment but I never miss an update!

Thanks Again for all the Hard Work your putting into this.

Great work! Don't always comment but I never miss an update!

Thanks Again for all the Hard Work your putting into this.

Me too! :p

I read the topic all the hour of the day with my phone... :rolleyes:

it's day 34, I'm still locked up in my apartment waiting for this mod...

have you ever gone so long without a shower that you actually start to smell OK again?

On a serious note, looking better and better each day, keep it up dude

On a serious note, looking better and better each day, keep it up dude

Each day lol, I haven't posted an update in 2 weeks! Nothin visual anyway. Trying to get some help w/ textures, I just been modeling some stuff when I get time to. I'll try to have a few screenshots this weekend, probably of the briefing room if I can get it textured, suppose I should practice/learn how to. I don't like posting untextured stuff :(

nothin visual anyway. Trying to get some help w/ textures, i just been modeling some stuff when i get time to. I'll try to have a few screenshots this weekend, probably of the briefing room if i can get it textured, suppose i should practice/learn how to. I don't like posting untextured stuff :(

:391:

I got the stern interior textured well enough for now, and I got the briefing room script-able too, to show you guys what it can do (or let mission-makers do, rather), so I'll see about getting a video of it up sometime tomorrow or Friday. W00t update on the horizon lol!

Here's the video, hope you guys like it. Don't mind the flat white wall textures in the beginning, do mind the "WIP notice" though :P

Honestly, I doubt most people would make any use of it. Heck even if no one does, I wanted to put it in and I think it's pretty cool! :D

eEMR1qJhzBM

SPECIFICS

Mission-makers, if they so choose, will be able to use setObjectTexture on 9 different props in the room (of course you don't have to use all of them), they are:

- 6 normal-sized papers on the table in the room, each positioned/spaced differently (two, not shown in video, are angled on top of others)

- The projector screen (if scripted, could create slideshows as well. or if you're REALLY CRAZY, even make a movie haha... but who wants to make every individual frame, gross)

- The whiteboard behind the screen. The middle section is covered, but if you made the screen transparent you could use all of the board.

- The map on the wall to draw battle plans or whatever

When it's released I'll be including blank templates also to use with the papers, screen, board, and the maps. That way its easy and there's no guessing around with the uv mapping.

*Thanks to Myke for help explaining hiddenSelections to me!

Still lots and lots to do....

Edited by JDog

very nice but i highly recommend you switch to type b cushioned fold-able chairs, they are the current issue

very nice but i highly recommend you switch to type b cushioned fold-able chairs' date=' they are the current issue[/quote']

You're not really start to "bitch" about the type of chairs, aren't you? FPDR ;)

Very nice JDog. Sure looks good now, love the way you detailed the room so much, the details looks perfect. Just an idea though? What about an option to turn off the lights before the projecter comes on? But other than that, keep up the good work :popcornsmilie:

Very nice JDog. Sure looks good now, love the way you detailed the room so much, the details looks perfect. Just an idea though? What about an option to turn off the lights before the projecter comes on? But other than that, keep up the good work :popcornsmilie:

Yea, still very much WIP :) You'll notice there arent even any shadows in the room lol. Interior lights and shadows I'll get figured out near the end. Still (very little) modeling to do, and tons of textures and decorating.

Oh that is very nice, is this being built soley (then exported obviously)in max? Do you have anyone working on props to fill the rooms such as piping, rails and other things?

About the HDR, if you have OA you should check the houses, some of them are affected but, unless its just me, some of them aren't and remain shadowed.