Sign in to follow this  
JDog

USS Nimitz - WIP

My personal view would be that you should make it as realistic as possible, i.e. accurate number and type of defence systems. As you say it shouldn't go down too easy.

Does Mando Missile not have a Sparrow? It deffo has a CIWS and some kind of ship launched AA as Gnat's Kuznetsov uses it.

Regardless, keep up the great work JDog. Looks great so far.

Mando might have the sparrow, but I don't think the mod includes the model, which is what JDog was saying he would have to make.

can give you our seasparrow if you want. it probably needs some new rvmats but its working on the frigates

can give you our seasparrow if you want. it probably needs some new rvmats but its working on the frigates

<- never even touched making rvmats yet. seriously im a total noob at this stuff lol.

If it's drivable then JDog stands for Jesus, and half the community will kiss him, while Crash will attempt to make love to him.

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

No it's not drivable. I decided on that from the beginning just because, as a carrier it wont be good at "carrying" while in motion due to game limitations. I do plan to have something to launch boats out of it, that area is actually already made and set aside, just needs some kind of mechanism to launch/retrieve boats to be made, probably from my imagination.

I'm going to work on this some tomorrow finally, probably textures, hopefully I'll have something to show soon.

Gnat is good at that type of stuff (see his FastSeaFrame mod)

Making something like that is easy, its just attachTo's for vehicles and stuff. But ideally, the carrier will be used in multiplayer where more than just a couple players will be on it. If the carrier moves, all those players will just start to slide off the deck. I'd make it drivable if it was feasible but arma 2 doesn't have, uhh... "object-based gravity" lol.

Making something like that is easy, its just attachTo's for vehicles and stuff. But ideally, the carrier will be used in multiplayer where more than just a couple players will be on it. If the carrier moves, all those players will just start to slide off the deck. I'd make it drivable if it was feasible but arma 2 doesn't have, uhh... "object-based gravity" lol.

It'll be so awesome as a floating fortress type place for players to plan and execute missions from, and also for creating defence type scenarious where players have to defend the carrier from airbourne/seabourne attack by jets, helicopters and small boats (how about kamikaze boats and planes).

Hey will all the guns be mannable where you have walking up to the gun itself to use it?

Hey will all the guns be mannable where you have walking up to the gun itself to use it?

Doubtful. But I'll put it on the list of maybes for after the first release, like if its updated.

I got some textures for the hull I'm content with (which aren't just a flat nasty light grey anymore lol) so finally making some progress. After the hull I'll probably do the island, then start working inside on the hangar. Also, I had been working on something smaller on the side somewhat, just for like modeling practice alongside the Nimitz. It's looking kinda cool though and might be useful/enjoyed so, I think I'll focus on that for a little bit as it might be quicker to finish, and doesn't need as much as the Nimitz. Anyway, I'll have something to show you guys by Monday for sure, even if its just a textured hull which really isn't that awesome haha.

I doubt hed be putting a Russian weapon system on a us aircraft carrier, maybe the phalanx though

Yea... I'm not putting Russian weapons on a US carrier, that won't make much sense. I'm gonna put a bunch of these on instead:

scarletmgt.jpg

Ok, I MEANT the Phalanx...(eyes rolling)

Good, my bad, I hadn't read message #173.

But now that you mention the Brotherhood of NOD...hmmm...KANE...

kane-1.jpg

So yea this other thing... worked on it some more today, maybe I'll have it out for people to play with within a week or two (that's far from a promise, knowing my schedule). It isn't quite as cool as the Nimitz, not as big, and won't have as much going on as the Nimitz but its somethin quick I can do and let people play with to just maybe ease the wait for CVN68. Also, it's counting as my practice model for texturing lol :) The model's done, so gonna start texturing tomorrow, then configs are cake, and I'll let you guys have it. And THEN... I probably won't be so burned out on the Nimitz anymore and will try to finish that up.

EDIT: Actually, it's pretty big now that I put it in-game... texture time. Should be done soon I hope. Man all this stuff sure goes by tons faster once you know what you're doing.

Edited by JDog

It saddens me that no one asked what that other thing I was working on was, no one wanted to play my game :(

Anyway, here's that "other thing" I was talking about. This is a render but it's already in the game and just needs textures finished up but shouldn't take too long, not nearly as many surfaces/stuff going on as the Nimitz. I'm planning for this coming weekend, next at the latest, so keep an eye out. Like I said, it doesn't have as much going on/as many functions (almost none) as the Nimitz, but hopefully it'll be useful and a welcome addition.

Royal Navy Future Aircraft Carrier

R08 - HMS Queen Elizabeth

QErender2-1.jpg

^click

ell that is just awesome. hope tjey dont change the carrier to a catapult design without a ski jump though! it looks so sexy

Any chance of making it work with mando missile? My comp aint too keen on mando nod... runs really choppy (Sorta my fault for using such an old comp)

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

O yeas... Good job on the Queen Liz old bean what what.... Nice to see us Brits get some love!

Nice one JDog, really like what your doing,

Regards padu.

Whoa, the next gen RN carrier! I was thinking it would be some kind of small frigate or AEGIS or somesuch. Thanks JDog from a pleasantly surprised Brit!

Never really liked ski jumps myself. Much prefer the smooth top of the Nimitz. Still, at least we're getting closer to having our own supercarrier as opposed to piddly Invincible class's. Hehe.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/USS_John_C._Stennis_%28CVN-74%29_%26_HMS_Illustrious_%28R_06%29.jpg

Yea I never really liked ski jumps either but, idk... it's pretty sexy on this ship haha. I just think the islands are too large considering there are two of them (each is almost the size of the 1 island of the Nimitz). The trapezoidal elevator shape also seems perhaps a bit inefficient. Overall though, I really like the design of the ship. Granted, I did use some slight imagination on it because even the pics on the MoD's website don't all match up. Just went for what looked sexiest haha.

And Wolfbite... I'm not sure if you're asking me to put mando turrets on it, even though they don't work for you lol? But yes I'll toss some Phalanx's on there, and maybe two Sea Sparrows also. There's supposed to be some new type of turret in development for the ship also I believe, from looking at some concept pics it almost looks like some space-age flak gun lol. Haven't been able to find any info on it though.

Edited by JDog

Royal Navy Future Aircraft Carrier

Very Nice! Looking forward to this. ;)