Sign in to follow this  
CaptRio

Left Handed players, UNITE!!!

I'm basically ambidextrous, I can use a mouse pretty much just as effectively with either (right has the edge I think), I can write almost as well with my left as my right and I am equally effective with a rifle firing left or right handed, though I prefer my right for pistols. For ArmA is just use default controls, though I've mapped some extra mouse buttons to adjusting zeroing.

I'm right handed and a lefty mouser. I've always preferred using keyboard controls with my right hand when gaming. Default settings though.

lefty here.

Mouse on the right and pretty much default controls (apart from binding OA secondary optics to my additional mouse button).

I'm way too much used to righthanded everything, apart from writing.

I'm left handed and I use a right handed mouse ' date=' default config.[/quote']

Me too.. :eek:

Same here as most lefties, just mouse in right hand and keyboard on the left hand.

This does suck when having to use a tablet in combination with a keyboard as I both use left and it's hard to even hold a pencil in my right hand.

But drawing with the mouse is easy with my right hand.

I can't trow nor kick with my right so I believe I'm a true lefty, but always used my mouse in the right hand, just like my father who's also a lefty.

I only know one lefty who uses he mouse in the right hand, but he has two mouses on his desk so his kids actually can use the right handed one.

You ultra-lefties are a rare breed.

Apparently I was born left handed but was brought up to be right handed, so I have been told.

I use a joypad in my left for movement and the mouse for aiming in my right hand, my trigger is the Joypad trigger though and my mouse buttons are for crouching or jumping etc depending on the game.

My flightstick is also set up for left handed use, it is a Saitek Cyborg Evo so it is not easy to switch sides on the fly or at least in the middle of a heated battle. I have always felt it more comfortable to use it left handed though.

There is an old saying in Scotland that you are Kerr Fisted if you are left handed, the whole of the Kerr Clan at one point in time were almost entirely left handed.

Same here. I hate it though . . . I'm actually right handed in everything else (except I can shoot with both hehe). My dad is left handed, so I was used to using the computer mouse on the left hand side. Plus, when I was younger, using the arrow keys made more sense than WASD, so I just went with it.

I absolutely hate it now because I'm constantly having to change ALL of the controls . . . and with games like Arma 2 it becomes quite a chore.

I gamed from before there was a mouse and I guess when I got my first PC with a mouse I just found it easier to have the mouse on the left and went from there, other than writing/throwing I do pretty much everything else right "sided", football I'm right footed, golf/baseball/bowling right handed, firing a rifle right handed, firing a pistol though come to mention it I'd be left handed with, very confusing ;)

---------- Post added at 14:09 ---------- Previous post was at 14:07 ----------

I'm left handed too!

I use default KB & mouse layout though - no changes apart from a few reassigns because my KB doesnt have a numpad... strangely, I also have no problem with joystick in right hand either... and - like someone else mentioned, I play golf right handed... but I can't even hold a pen with my right hand, or kick or throw a ball right-sided...

... I hold a rifle left-handed too! ;)

Hey Placebo! I notice you're one of us Happy Few... (what is the statistical average anyway? 1 in 10 or something??) - maybe it would be interesting if you could change this thread to a poll - simple question - left or right handed? - it might be interesting to see if Arma players follow the statistics or if, as I suspect, theres more lefties around than you'd expect.....

... just an idea...

B

Yeah it's 1 in 10 I believe, same percentage as "batting for the other team" so to speak, and funnily enough in certain cultures neither is "allowed", pink left handers of the world unite!

Well a "are you left or right handed" poll in a thread about left handed probably wouldn't be too accurate TBH ;)

Just because i write with my left hand doesnt mean i mouse with my left hand. That would be ridiculous! :p

BINGO!

It's a real pain!

I think Ill start practicing with my right hand, lets see if it works. :eek:

I always change the control of whatever game that I have the first time I start playing it, so whats the problem?:confused:

Mouse in the right hand, WASD, normal layout like everyone else. Even though I'm left-handed, I've held the mouse in the right hand since I was 4. Everyone else used it that way so it came natural to me. I guess if I found it awkward I would have switched. Since I didn't I guess I found it comfortable to use in my right :) Trying to use a mouse in my left hand now would be like walking upside down.

However, I absolutely cannot fly a joystick in the right hand. Or draw/write (use a tablet, in extension) with my right hand. Had to return a Saitek joystick because I thought I could use it in my right hand, was impossible. (Now that's a sucky part, finding a good lefthand joystick. Only the T.16000M from Thrustmaster out now)

Needless to say I do all the other stuff like a normal lefty does, eat, write, punch, kick a ball, etc. with my lefts ;)

It's funny, but...I'm a righty, but I use the left on the mouse. I started doing it to avoid over-stressing my right, but I guess I'm developing some ambidexterity.

It's funny, but...I'm a righty, but I use the left on the mouse. I started doing it to avoid over-stressing my right, but I guess I'm developing some ambidexterity.

Im also right handed and use my left hand for mouse. I use arrow keys for movement and hte num pad keys for alot of stuff such as numpad ins for reload.

Im also right handed and use my left hand for mouse. I use arrow keys for movement and hte num pad keys for alot of stuff such as numpad ins for reload.

Arrow keys for movement is sooooo 1990's. ;)

Arrow keys for movement is sooooo 1990's. ;)

I've used them ever since my first PC game gnome i think they were used to accelerate.

I've used them ever since my first PC game gnome i think they were used to accelerate.

But don't you have to move your hand to reload and pretty much everything? At least it's impossible for me to keep moving with arrow keys while doing some other things at the same time. Or maybe I have too old of a keyboard :).

Arrow keys are only for the simplest games that aren't played on mouse.

But don't you have to move your hand to reload and pretty much everything? At least it's impossible for me to keep moving with arrow keys while doing some other things at the same time. Or maybe I have too old of a keyboard :).

Arrow keys are only for the simplest games that aren't played on mouse.

Not really i have big enough hands where i dont have to move them much.

Not really i have big enough hands where i dont have to move them much.

those are some big ass hands. And I don't think it's a matter of how big your hands are.

Ok let's take a popular gaming keyboard http://www.turbozone.ro/fotografii/Tastaturi/Logitech_G15_Gaming_Keyboard.jpg

now how do you touch the arrowkeys with your fingertips while touching the numpad buttons with the same hand?

I see it being impossible to be anywhere close to as optimal as the WASD keys.

Edited by Arksa

I already asked a while back for bis to add the change primary mouse button:left or right option like in the original operation flashpoint.

Personally, I think a standard 101 key keyboard favours the lefty.

I have the mouse in my left hand - reload, climb over and push to talk all on mouse buttons.

Arrows for fwd, back and strafe. This now leaves a nice, logically arrange bunch of buttons in easy reach.

PGUP PGDN ( raise/lower stance) or Thrust

HOME-END ( Lean ) or Rudder

INS DEL ( currently free )

SCROLL LOCK is nearby for "get out" or double tap for eject

I never use any numpad directions (1-9 ) for directions, 7 and 4 are for weapon zeroing.

The only time i need to reach for the main part of the board is to use the chat, map,gps, anything that only needs an occasional tap really.

A few years ago I forced myself to use joysticks with my right hand, now i can use the mouse for freelook

I'm a lefty but I still play with the default configuration.

WASD is inefficient, I recommend a ESDF setup, simply shift over one key...

Q and T for roll left/right.. W and R for crouch/prone.. though this does put you further away from CTRL, SHIFT, and TAB, my pinky now has a purpose in life...

Left handed, this works great for me... if you are actually using the mouse in the left hand then you should sue the person who first showed you a mouse... ;)

Side note: if you know how to get get the right-side button working on a microsoft itellimouse, let me know, it's the only one that doesn't wanna register in the Arma key config...

WASD is inefficient, I recommend a ESDF setup, simply shift over one key...

I just tried that, your a freak :p

What few of you is talking about (doing some tasks with left hand and others with right hand) is called mixed handedness (or cross dominance). I'm cross dominant too; writing/drawing etc with my left hand, but throwing, punching, cutting, using the mouse etc with my right, so I can play like any right handed person.

Edited by tpM

I already asked a while back for bis to add the change primary mouse button:left or right option like in the original operation flashpoint.

Yeah, lots of ingame actions wont work with primary mouse, like zoom for instance.