Sign in to follow this  
SWT_Janowich

Vietcong 3

all hail vietcong, for it was truly a precursor to ofp/arma in terms of immersive coop play

What do you mean? Didn't VC come out after OFP?

Vietcong: 2003

Fist Alpha: 2004

Vietcong 2: 2005

Vietcong 3: 2011?

i was just implying it was a precursor to this kind of immersive co-op. i never played ofp and must have missed out i guess. i went from vc to vc2 then arma then arma2. they seemed like a logical progression!

i suppose the true granddaddy has to be Delta Force.

now that and DF2 and 3 I playedto death. loved the fact you could go by whatever route you fancied... but the repetitious statements of the AI were just a headscrew.

I wouldn't mind seeing Vietcong 3 made with something like modified ArmA 2 engine. Before anyone points out tunnel rats and trenches I think it could be possible with clever design.

We keep seeing things like Quake 3 or similiar corridor shooter engines transform into dozens of games, why not do the same on ArmA 2 series of game engines and results would be spectacular. Imagine mass VC attacks and large US helicopter assaults, something not really possible on any other engines without heavy non-dynamic scripting.

BIS probably should license it's code to 3rd parties and concentrate their own efforts to create next generation of military games. This I presume would be quite profitable.

Edited by Blake

After just reinstalling it and using vista it keeps crashing to desktop at a certain point on mission 2. Its a shame its done this and i hope someone comes out with a vista patch to fix it. I have seen older and less popular games come out with vista patches so i can assume its only a matter of time.

Unfortunetly no, that crash is around since Vista came out so i doubt anyone will ever fix it, it happens everytime the radio pops up.

If you switch to 3rd person before the radio calls it wont crash but thats not the solution.

I wouldn't mind seeing Vietcong 3 made with something like modified ArmA 2 engine. Before anyone points out tunnel rats and trenches I think it could be possible with clever design.

We keep seeing things like Quake 3 or similiar corridor shooter engines transform into dozens of games, why not do the same on ArmA 2 series of game engines and results would be spectacular. Imagine mass VC attacks and large US helicopter assaults, something not really possible on any other engines without heavy non-dynamic scripting.

BIS probably should license it's code to 3rd parties and concentrate their own efforts to create next generation of military games. This I presume would be quite profitable.

1. The BIS engine is not flexible enough.

2. It wouldnt be Vietcong but Arma: Operation Vietnam :eek: .

It wouldnt be Vietcong but Arma: Operation Vietnam :eek: .

I'll buy it NOW

Saluting all VC coop players. Good times.

I actually have two copies of Vietcong: Purple Haze (VC + expansion) in case I break one or loose one. :D

Still hoping they'll either sell it through gog.com or Steam. Preferably the first one.

Unfortunetly no, that crash is around since Vista came out so i doubt anyone will ever fix it, it happens everytime the radio pops up.

If you switch to 3rd person before the radio calls it wont crash but thats not the solution

Not a very optimistic thought really. I mean someone can fix and update anything if they know what they are doing. Take falcon 4 for instance. that game and its game engine should have died back in the 90's but to this day they have brought out hundreds of patches, updates and fixes and the game is still going stronger than ever

1. The BIS engine is not flexible enough.

2. It wouldnt be Vietcong but Arma: Operation Vietnam :eek: .

Yeah. There's things in engine which makes Vietcong The Vietcong.

Vietcong maps were lush with microterrain, that is something which gave alot more feeling to firefights, and i received several orgasms only by moving in there and staring those details. To this date i don't know any game which would offer as much. Crysis gets close with it's "jungle"-models but it's terrain forms are too round and flat and it had generated stamped on it. Unlike in Vietcong where all paths had sunk into soil etc. All told about mapmakers which really did pay attention to what they were doing. Which is one reason why Vietcong 2 was reviewed as partial flop. They got rid of thing which really made Vietcong the best of it's genre. Ofcourse i was also in love with that Vietnamese pointman and how he moved and acted on point. He's name escapes from me, sadly.

Then again that design forced them to make small maps which were corridors. But corridors hardly ever bother me that much, so for me it really didn't matter. Terrain it self offers so small seeing distances usually that corridors doesn't feel or see that much, terrain was also rich in forms so it offers much more alternative routes and tactics in much more smaller space that usual. Very often there was sufficient amount of movement space and terrain forms to get into flanks or even evade enemy presence if wanted. I must have played demo-mission (get thru bunker-zone after chopper crash) in tens different ways.

Everytime someone mentions Vietcong i take a trip down memorylane(youtube) :p

Vietcong is probably the best singleplayer game i have ever played :cool:

fuYL-keoGvU

Of course i was also in love with that Vietnamese pointman and how he moved and acted on point. He's name escapes from me, sadly.

yes you mean nagoyan (not the way his name is spelt but pronounced that way)

Yes indeed. Vietcong is one of my favourite games. Especially missions as tunnel rat are still deep in my mind ;)

I felt so lonely and scared..

Nguyen -"over here Trung si! there are many enemeee"

yes you mean nagoyan (not the way his name is spelt but pronounced that way)

He is written Nguyen and pronounced more like "Nyuen". The voice actor pronounced it wrong, which probably still is correct since real US soldiers did the same back then :D

OT: VC shares my "Greatest game ever" award with OFP

Or the infamous tunnels where 90% of players didn't know they had a flashlight :D

Too true.. I finished the game 2 times before I found that I had a flashlight. 2 times in those goddamn tunnels!

great game oh how i used to love killing my brother on this, great times

the PS2 version was truly awful, they cut the story out of sp!?

take that fan boys buy a PC for true cong

(...)

Edited by Andre

OMG ! So do I. :rolleyes:

No wonder reviewers and people in general said that it's claustrophobic. Many people here have seemed to be unaware of it :D

I did notice and use the flashlight, but it wasn't most pleasant experience even by then. :bounce3:

Btw. Did AI see lightless player as if he had flashlight turned on? During night-maps i drew conclusion that AI isn't much affected by darkness, maybe slightly but not much.

My defined favorite for whole original game was the moment when they found out French scrap tanks which inter thought to be Soviet T-34s. Trench clearance fighting with Arty support was one best moments in computer gaming i've ever had. Another was that Marsh area, where there were PSyOp chopper shouting propaganda and human wave assault at US lines. Then slow progress to enemy held territory to clear pockets of resistance. But overall whole campaign was good from start to finish, leisure time at base now and then: mostly shooting practice to feel of new weapons and going thru intel.

Vietcong, great game, really, I remember that map Hanoi Port (or something like that), which was my favourite.

Yours too? Especially in online mp matches this map was the most common.