Sign in to follow this  
suma

Patch 69645 - changes under the hood

How the patch 69645 works for you compared to previous versions?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How the patch 69645 works for you compared to previous versions?

• Stunning - performance a lot better, a lot more stable
    • Great - performance is a lot better, no new crashes or stability issues
    • Good - performance is a little bit better, no new crashes or stability issues
    • Mixed - performance better, but unstable (sometimes crashing)
    • Stable - performance same or not improved much, but a lot more stable
    • Same - it seems the same, I cannot see any significant difference
    • Slower - it runs a little bit slower, no new crashes or stability issues
    • Bad - it runs slower, it is somewhat unstable
    • Terrible - it runs a a lot slower, or it is very unstable (crashes a lot)

I've got significant FPS issues when going prone, standing up, zooming in by holding RMB or scoping, while apart from aforementioned situations, FPS seems "normal".

Example FPS measures vs. action:

walking around normally: 25 FPS

dropping to prone & standing up: stutter down to 7-10 FPS

zooming in & scoping: stutter during zoom operation and FPS steady around 7 FPS

I've tried to make a video but it did not record the FRAPS FPS indicator top left, for some reason.

EDIT:

Video on

for those with the good eye mark (since FPS indicator went missing)

I tried to repro it in vanilla editor mission with no luck yet.

EDIT2:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/10271

EDIT3:

Started some Warfare BE locally on my machine with no such issue yet, maybe a one-time issue, but maybe it will also surface much more after many player tried it for a longer while...

Edited by Fireball

Can I ask why you would need to do a fresh install? Doesn't the beta patch just over-write previous files?

radeon 4870. set normal quality except video is 1:1.

get the missing floor texture for the first few seconds of benchmark1. also parachute training mission has the parachute flikering very quickly every few seconds. no major perf improvement noticed.

Nice to have a patch after 3 months,25 fixes is good,but need to keep going,much more to fix...I don't really care about Operation Arrowhead,until they fix this one and make it playable,and enjoyable...

Edited by Spike 21

one thing to add. AI seems better and put down loads more fire and seem to take cover. is it my imagination or can this be confirmed?

looking around seems smoother but my distance is only 1600m

Edited by twisted

for the people who have teh white ground issue, what Graphics card do u have plz?
Everybody that has posted it so far seems to have an ATI card. I guess I'll test seeing as I have a GTX 260 Core 216

Negative, in my original post I stated that I have an NVidia card, but it is a 9800GTX, not a 8800 (typo).

may i ask these with the dissapering ground texture what's Your driver build?

197.55, 197.45, 197.41 or older? just for sure ... thanks in advance

NVidia 6.14.11.9107, yeah, old I guess :) 27.09.2009. Jeezus! Does time go by faster and faster the older I get? When I was a kid there was a whole year between each Christmas, now it's Christmas every bloody year - yikes! :D

To get rid of dissapearing textures just go to your distance slider and move it up then down back to your normal position. Should then all be good.

Not good, even if it worked. In multiplayer you often don't get to change this.

Overall feels smoother, except there is heavy lag when looking through a zoomed scope. I agree, it seems like the AI have improved somehow, but I'm not quite sure what it is.

I also have the see-thru ground problem. EVGA GTX 285 (1GB). nVidia driver 197.45. View distance = 2300.

Seems budget PC's benefits from this patch wich is good. Now make medium and kick ass pc's work equally good. ;)

Switching back to previous Beta for now. Too much stutter and weird textures.

EDIT: Just tested this build one more time, and when i just normally run the world stutters continously. Old builds stutter only at the start up when you look around/run to load in all textures etc and after a few seconds its all smooth. Now it keeps stuttering all the time when moving. Even on foot. And even if theres just plain fields with not much trees or buildings. For my system at least. Well see on monday with the new system.

EDIT2: I have to say though that BIS did something really good with this Beta patch regarding long view distance. Even though this patch is very stuttery (not lag) to me i can crank it up to 10000VD and it does feel good - even though through all the stutter. I can see its lighter on the system at long VD's. But the hard weird stutter gets in the way when it comes to playing and enjoying. I have more stutter at 500VD than 10000VD and that indicates somethings wrong. :)

Edited by Alex72

I also get disapearing ground since i installed this version

no addons used

Otherwise performance seems slightly reduced framerates on chernarus, but havnt had time to make any scientific tests yet!

GPU Nvidia GTX 285 driver 197.13 and Win XP

Edited by thomsonb

Disapearing ground also with Ati 5870 driver 10.2 and Win XP pro. Performance seems to be about same or little better :j:

I'm also getting dissapearing ground texture on VD 10.000m

1 thing i experienced, i dont know if it should be like that..

1 guy of my 5 men squad[ i was the leader] was killed, but never reported, till i reported his status via the menu. happened 3 times now.

Did you expect the dead guy to tell you on the radio he was dead... of course you'll have to request a report and if you get no reply it's assumed he is dead :p

stunning for me! (computer specs in sig.)

I've never been able to play ARMA2 with such beauty, 10k vd, antialiasing 8, everything on very high except terrain detail normal, object detail normal and postprocessing low/high (I wish there was a pp normal setting :( )

Not sure if this has always been in the game or if it came with this patch but I've never noticed as I've never been able to play this game with such high settings. I descovered while flying that sometimes the ground texture takes a while to load and before it loads it looks plain dark-green (but I haven't got the dissapearing ground glitch at all yet, no matter what settings I used).

The game is also using resources much better, all four cores were at 2/3 to 3/4 full and my ram was at a stable 2.5gb

Gonna test AI soon but:

Thank you very much BIS for your awesome efforts; a few more tweaks and this game will be visually-perfect!

The Ai seems much better, not sure how exactly but thy are much more responsive and work much better as a group, from what I can tell.

They also impact the performance less.

Edited by SASrecon

Good thing IMO that BIS keeps improving the AI. Great, keep it up!

Some scripts seems to be working very slow in official campaign too. In "Into the Storm"-mission the conversation with doctor was getting really slow towards end. It seems that the scripts are working fine at start of the mission but the more you play the more laggy those will become.

Overall feels smoother, except there is heavy lag when looking through a zoomed scope. I agree, it seems like the AI have improved somehow, but I'm not quite sure what it is.

Confirmed on the scope causing reduced FPS. Greatly reduced in fact. I thought it was the clutter addon at first, but I'm back on the old patch, and scope no longer causes fps drop. Also noticed a positive change on the AI. I like the new "reloading" messages too, not to mention the lack of "Go, I'm covering" messages :D

I'm hoping for a quickfix on the ground polygon/texturing issue, as we can then start to test it more in depth.

Works well for me (4870x2, Phenom II x4 @3.7, 6GB DDR3).

I'm playing with 3000+ vd for the first time: previously I left it sub 2000 - I'm incredibly fussy about fps.

No texture problems here.

I think a key improvement is that any 'stutter' now manifests as an occasional <half second pause, rather than regular micro-stutters. The slightly longer irregular pauses are easy to ignore, whereas the previous LOD thrashing could feel like wading through mud.

not sure it is related to this patch, but never seen it before. on a specops mission from specops module to rescue prisoners in a camp, when setting it as active task the fps ground to a standstill. before then things were quite smooth.

SecOps you mean? Secondary Operations Module. Saw you mentioned SpecOps in ACE thread so thaught they made a new module with special forces dropping in. :D

I confirm ground textures not being rendered sometimes, and from 10% to 20% loss in fps in both benchmark missions.

E8400, 4GB ddr2, GTX285, Windows 7 64bits.

_neo_

Edited by neokika

Confirmed on the scope causing reduced FPS. Greatly reduced in fact. I thought it was the clutter addon at first, but I'm back on the old patch, and scope no longer causes fps drop.

Could you two contribute evidence/computer specs etc. to my A2 CIT bug ticket

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/10271

That would greatly help to pinpoint this, since I had this too, but was unable to reproduce it, after starting A2 up for a second time only in vanilla editor. Thanks!

-testet the new beta yesterday with some of my mates during private coops and online-mp (domination and warfare in this case).

impressions:

performance:

In general, the performance seems to be the same overall, but the increase of the viewdistance isn´t effecting it so hard anymore. I was able to set it to 4000m-4500 with the same smoothness as it was before the patch with a Vd of 3000.

Important one I noticed, if I start the game (default world:Chernarus) it needs a bit longer to get to the main-menu as before the patch was not installed.

graphical bugs:

For me, I wasn´t able to detect any visual glitches, etc (hardware listed in my sig). 50% of the others, who were on ts (pc collections of Duals and Quads, mostly with ATIs VGAs (4890, 5850)) had the graphical bugs which are already mentioned above.

AI-performance:

mh-seems the ai follow the orders a bit faster (e.g. movement in dangermode), but they still have their own head (don´t really quitting the danger-mode in combat).-But this needs a bit more testing by my side!

RPT shows much this error (if it has something to do with laggy script behaviour?):

Performance warning: Very large search for 2224 (>400 m)
Performance warning: Search for 2224: t_pinusn1s.p3d was very large (1360 m)
Performance warning: Very large search for 2223 (>400 m)
Performance warning: Search for 2223: t_pinusn1s.p3d was very large (1320 m)
Performance warning: Very large search for 499 (>400 m)
Performance warning: Search for 499: r2_boulder1.p3d was very large (1800 m)
Speed range bad: 2.029e+006..2.029e+006,-512000..-512000

Speed range bad: 2.029e+006..2.029e+006,-512000..-512000 is repeated hundrets of times and finally this comes 6 times:

Speed range bad: 0.187709..2.029e+006,-512000..0.0329518

Edited by SaOk

In Benchmark 2 I gained +3, but if I use -cpucount=4 it's only +1. (tested 3 times each)

Might be because it's 2x2 cpu's, not a single quad?

About the same performance for me, and sadly it does not fix the Default video memory crash. :(

Though it did introduce a new error when it crashed, on top of the "v-buffer" thing:

Error during v-buffer creation: error 8876017c
Error during v-buffer creation: error 8876017c
Vertex buffer needs to be created before rendering. Out of memory? ca\buildings2\houseblocks\houseblock_a\houseblock_a2.p3d
Vertex buffer needs to be created before rendering. Out of memory? ca\structures\rail\railway\rails_linebreak_concrete.p3d
Vertex buffer needs to be created before rendering. Out of memory? ca\buildings\misc\plot_green_vrat_r.p3d
Vertex buffer needs to be created before rendering. Out of memory? ca\rocks2\r2_rockwall.p3d

Same problem here :(