Sign in to follow this  
Magnum0311

You can't Play this game Multiplayer.

How will PR fix his broken installation? :confused:

It wouldn't have broken it in the first place :)

Right now he needs to reinstall it and follow a tutorial on how to install all those mods ACE CBA etc etc etc.

P.S @Magnum0311 are you using the modified shortcut that six updater provided?

Edited by User2010

Well I see some posts on these forums and other forums wondering "Why doesn't anyone play Arma2??"

Well after 2 days from having purchased this game, I can tell you why.

This has proven to be the biggest pain in the ass of a game to try and play multiplayer, that at this point, I would say that there IS no multiplayer.

The server menu is packed full of servers that are empty, and when you try and join the ones that do have some players, you will end up with a message that you are "Using Modified File CA"

After which you will get a message "Session Lost"

Or "You were kicked off the game."

One person mentioned it might be that they are running the ACE Mod.

So I went out and downloaded the ACE Mod, and Six Arma Updater, and went through the very non user friendly attempt of updating and installing this Mod.

It did nothing to solve the problem of being kicked any time I join a server, or getting a session lost message.

So if any of you are wondering why this game isn't being played much, I think maybe you should start looking into those reasons and fix them before advertising that more people should join.

The way it stands now I'm about to call this game a waste of 53 dollars. :mad:

I agree with this. I stopped playing for the last few months. I just returned this week and found that most servers if not all are running the ACE mod.

Which is good, but the player count even on the weekends is next to none now. I'm really bumbed out. I don't have time for a clan or squad right now. Which makes it worse.

It's a good thing that this game is heavily modifyable, but at the same time a bad thing. Because the player count on MP was kinda low at it's peek, but now people have who are new have no idea about what they need to play, because they are casual gamers for the most part.

Edited by CzingerX

Even if someone is posting something that you don't agree with it's not necessary to reply in such a tactless manner.

Thats right but an offensive question will provocate an offensive answer. But sry magnum, shouldnt sound that hard more ironic. i forgot the fucking smilies

Edited by Pain0815

If it is kicking you because a file called CA is modified, then there is something very wrong with your installation of ArmA II.

Doesn't everyone get "xxx is using modified file - CA" and then connects normally? With 1.05 up and running, it should be possible to connect to "green" servers not running custom mods.

The OP is dead right. He's new to the game and is as baffled as I was by the all the hoops you have to jump through just to try to get on various MP servers and you still get kicked for seemingly unknown reasons. Bonus, you get a cryptic message! :p WhooHoo! It shouldn't be this difficult.

I was on Saturday night (in the US) and it was dead, dead, dead. A handful of servers had more than 10 people, most were empty and the others had 1 or 2. I've only seen MP this quiet on games that are 4-5 years old, not one that's 10 months old.

Hang in there though dude, MP is great and I'm hoping PR will bring us some decent, easy to connect to servers and people who like to play on them. Too bad we'll have to wait till summer. :(

if that's what the OP feels, that what he feels. He's the person we need to impress.

As a long-time player I certainly understand it.

Fully customizable game, or arcade style COD garbage that everybody can connect to?

It's a slippery slope and something even the smart people at BI haven't figured out yet.

It's painful spending weeks building a new PVP mission, host if for hours at a time, and only have one or two connects that haven't downloaded ACE so they couldn't join.

Thus I sit there and look at my PVP map.....by myself. :(

@OP - If you have downloaded ACE I'm surprised to hear you aren't finding servers. Sure, might take three or four attempts to find them, but you should be in a server within 3 minutes. From there you get experience, find servers you like, and the issue you thought was an issue doesn't even exist.

But a chat lobby would do wonders. I used to play Medieval Total War, which had a chat lobby and I loved the game because, even though every other comment in the lobby was from border-line retarded 16 year olds, it was an avenue to actually talk to humans to get a game without joining a clan that will eventually become addictive and too time consuming.

Then they made Empire Total war, removed the chat lobby, so I promptly threw it in the garbage.

Arma2 players are worried/complain the community is too small and the game is not popular enough, yet they scare everyone away by have 0 normal servers. Everyone is so obsessed with having their own thing, their own mods, nothing is ever default. It's such a sad mess and I blame the community that is over obsessed with mods. Then again I can also blame the developers who not having a more compatible and strict system so mods can't just be any dam change the user pleases like changing an icon on a patch on a unit.....

This is a case why I say "Thank you Infiniti Ward for no dedicated servers so to prevent a bunch of code heads from dividing the community into 1000 different groups."

/rant

If the original game was good enough without mods then maybe people wouldn't use mods on every single server. But at the very least ACE is needed to really get what this game has to offer.

Though I agree this game is far from "not fun" with no mods and wish there were some vanilla servers with missions designed for a small number of players (be it PvP or COOP) that are titled "new players welcome here!" or something like that.

This is a case why I say "Thank you Infiniti Ward for no dedicated servers so to prevent a bunch of code heads from dividing the community into 1000 different groups."/rant

I dunno, man. I'd rather have mods than not.

If it wasn't for the extreme moddability of OFP and its successors, we probably wouldn't be here arguing over it today. Mods are what keeps this game fresh year after year. It increases the lifespan of our game beyond what is usually seen in similar titles.

I do see what you're getting at, and you are right that we are fragmented. A happy middle road would be the est solution, I suspect - having mods but also making them very accessible when you needed them. Like an official mod-loading thingy (that's the technical term) that allows you to get the addons you need when and where you need them.

Like a yomas from BIS, I suppose.

I have said this before

What is ACEX ?

Well thanks for your help, but i honestly am not going to spend hours finding out what servers use what mods, trying to install all these mods, have them conflict with eachother just to play the game ...

Too many mods are killing this game online . I know i'm done with it as it stands now.

How on earth will someone that just starts playing be able to join any multiplayer game ?

There are more mods then players lol .

I have played many many hours already and i'm already sick of trying to find a server to play on .

crap.

I have about 500 hours of arma 2 in . That should be enough to be able to play the game decently .

You missed my point completely . My gripe is not about the game.

I just get fed up by getting thrown out of every server because they have some mod running making the clouds fluffier, or the grass an inch longer.

I personally don't find it fun to install 50 mods and have them conflict with eachother.

I want to play the game , not micromanage it .

Anyway, figured out what the problem was. Appearantly you need to make another shortcut and add some crap to the end of it to get the ace mod running .

There are about 4 servers i play on right now. All vanilla, i don't even care for the ace mod, only installed it to get on some servers.

Edited by Game__On

Boy... "Too many mods"... Did you ever choose the wrong game to play. :rolleyes:

Mods are what end up making these games last years longer than they would without them. Even OFP is still going after almost 10 years, and that is largely due to the mods being made for it. If you find mods a nuisance, then you're going to find you're the minority in this community, and it will not change.

I do agree though that there are a lot of little mods that don't really add much (just a skin or just a different soldier model or a very very similar variant of an already-existing vehicle) and when missions/servers use those it means you have to download them specifically for each mission/server. That usually results in most people just not downloading it, because why bother just for 1 server/mission?...

Something big that can be used in many missions and really affects the game, though, such as ACE or even MAP_EU, cannot be complained about. Without them the game would not be the same, and they can be used in more than just 1 (or very few) server/mission(s).

Different soldier models is important.

I love playing MP with lovely french units :)

Different soldier models is important.

I love playing MP with lovely french units :)

Yes, 'lovely' .

:p

Edited by Placebo

Yes, 'lovely' .

:p

Insulting a nation of people, many of whom are excellent members of this community, is not acceptable nor welcome here. Infraction +2.

He was just insulting the French army, not the entire nation :D

I'm sure there must be a simple solution to the OP's problem.

Try to find some more info on the server you're connecting to 's forum.

Don't expect a "I click and go" kind of thing.

The 5 to 10 minutes invested in figuring out what addons to load/where to find them is well worth the efford.

Downright stating "You can't play this game in Multiplayer" is not going to gain you much karma on these forums.

Try downloading my tool and connecting to for example the Kelly's Heroes server after downloading the mods with it.

If human kind started crying like baby whenever they run into an unmanaged situation, we'd still be living in caves, he'll we'd not even be doing that. Take matters into your own hands and fix your problem. If thousands of other people can do it, surely you can.

Have a nice day.

This game before release was advertised as a realistic milsim game which as standard it was OK but wasnt realistic in any way really, and before you start mouthing off about if you want realism join the army i did 7 years service in the british armed forces with multiple tours in Iraq/Afghanistan accumalating to probably 5 years of my service. im off on my last deployment this friday actually before i leave the forces for good.

But as i was saying the game wasnt cutting it really but with them allowing the community, and there is a big community out there you just aint looking in the right places, to modify the game it has brought it on in leaps and bounds. The biggest one is ACE2 this Mod has made the game what it should of been out the box, and before anyone says its a pain in the ass to install it took me two minutes to get it downloading through YOMAs ADDON SYNC (a great tool if ya ask me) and after a hour or so i was rocking round in our server with ACE yes it was a pain to begin with with all the updates but it was a beta so that was to be expected now it has a stable release.

JSOC our unit umbrella always have people on one of the servers be it 10th/20th SFG, 1st ID, USSOCOM.

Like someone stated always do research on a game before you spend money on it, this game for those who dont really play these games are not really good for the arcade COD type run and gun players (im not dissing COD heck i play it sumtimes), If you have questions ask, the community is here for a reason and that is to help new players who are struggling with the game all the units out there are very helpful and i personally have spent a lot of time with new people who try to join our server and have something not working right or something and they hop on our comms and ask for help.

IF YOU DONT ASK FOR HELP YOU WILL NOT GET IT ESPECIALLY IF YOU START DISSING THE COMMUNITY WHO THE MAJORITY WORK AND PUT A LOT OF TIME WHICH THEY DONT GET PAID FOR INTO THE MODS/MISSIONS YOU SEE IN THIS GAME.

So i suggest go reinstall your game try and get in touch with someone and they will give you a helping hand.

How will PR fix his broken installation? :confused:
It wouldn't have broken it in the first place :)

Right now he needs to reinstall it and follow a tutorial on how to install all those mods ACE CBA etc etc etc.

P.S @Magnum0311 are you using the modified shortcut that six updater provided?

@User my freind ACE has not broken anybodies game i personally and ill say 90% of people have had no trouble with it, yes early on there were a few stumbling blocks but what do you expect for a BETA mod as big as ACE2 is, it would never be perfect they will always find something to make it better thats the whole point of it.

So all is well is the best of the worlds and having lost 95% of OFP PvP population is absolutely not a concern?

I think not, sorry...

There IS smtg wrong, not working fine, badly done, etc... In fact, plenty of these things, enough to have made a whole portion of original OFP population go away, and losing a whole facet of what made OFP truely versatile and open. A2 has been overrun by simulation, realism-only freaks, tbh. BI emphasized too much this aspect of their game, and neglected some other important aspects (polishing, access ease (no, it's not a bad word to make the correct things easy!))

Edited by whisper

WOW so you insult people for their style of play now well thats one way to get noticed.

They play the game for its realism aspects and yes a lot of them are service/ex-service men/women stick to your OFP my freind if you feel this way. I never said ARMAII was perfect theres always something that can be done to every game to make it better for me and a majority of the community the game works fine and with the MODs that are released by the great guys in this community really help the game out as well.

If it is such a fail as a game please tell me as to why the Project Reality team have decided to work with it. so there is obviously something there that people like.

How did I insult anyone? :O

"realism freak" is an insult to you?

All I'm saying is that anything suggesting a change that is not realism-oriented is bashed no end these days, because it might change the game in a "wrong direction". This would never have happened in OFP days.

Suggesting a better/easier addon-handling method is not bad for the game.

ArmA2 should not be reserved to ex-service people. OFP wasn't

EDIT : quite funny reaction when I read the usual outcry against people promoting PvP styles, really...

Edited by whisper

Were addons actually easier to manage in OFP? Because if it was I would be quite surprised... And if it wasn't I can't see why addons handling has anything to do with losing the OFP crowd.

I would guess it's more of the recent MW2/BFBC2 and other games that simply work out of the box that attract the crowds. Yes even the kind of people who want to play games like Arma 2 still often quickly get tired of the problems and issues and prefer to play something that might be less for their taste, but at least they can play it without picking addons, finding missions that suit them in terms of quality, difficulty level and number of players required and then getting them all on a server and getting the rest of the guys to play them. Being able to just say "hey, let's run X game, log on to Y server and play" is very attractive to most people. Heck it's even attractive to me but I just don't like those games enough to still play Arma 2.

Arma 2's issues don't just make us lose "run&gun" players, they make us lose realism players that just get tired of all the extra effort needed to actually get the game started. And when I say "effort" I don't mean just installing ACE, that is easy enough, but there's a lot more to getting an Arma 2 game going than installing ACE.

I return you the favor, there's nothing harder to install in A2 than in OFP ;)

But I'm in complete agreement anyway :)

So all is well is the best of the worlds and having lost 95% of OFP PvP population is absolutely not a concern?

I think not, sorry...

There IS smtg wrong, not working fine, badly done, etc... In fact, plenty of these things, enough to have made a whole portion of original OFP population go away, and losing a whole facet of what made OFP truely versatile and open. A2 has been overrun by simulation, realism-only freaks, tbh. BI emphasized too much this aspect of their game, and neglected some other important aspects (polishing, access ease (no, it's not a bad word to make the correct things easy!))

Not to weigh in too much here because this thread is spiralling out of control why would mods (mostly ace2 from previous posts) drive 95% of the OFP community away. Bear with me here....

Say you have 1000 players on at a given night and 95% of those are the "modless" variety that is 950 players right? That leaves 50 players playing with ace2 modified games. Again hypothetical and the numbers have been kept low to illustrate a point.

So what in turn you are saying is t hat 5% (50 players) are controlling all the servers because most of the servers run mods or ace2? Because it would seem more like that if 95% of the old OFP community were playing modless versions there would be enough weight of numbers for them to set up their own modless servers.... I agree with you point that larger mods can fragment the community but I also have to point out the simple economic facts of supply and demand. The reason why most servers running on arma2 mp have ace2 is because that is where the regular players have been going to play arma2.

To summarize. If the vast majority of people didn't want mods on their servers we would have lots of servers without mods. We don't....again i'm not trying to take sides I just wanted to point out my opinion on your arguement.

I personally don't use ace and i can see how it is a pain coming into this game thinking it is mp ready when in reality you spend 2 days getting the thing working to run on most servers. It's a pain yes but blaming the community or various factions of it is the wrong thing to do. Really BIS should be the ones to make MP much more accessible but they have chosen to support a large vibrant and creative community instead. At the end of the day it is their choice and i applaud them for it. Perhaps at some point in the future either with arma2 or another project they will make things easier. But i should warn people that communities bitch either way...."Arma2 is too customisable and has too many mods"..."OMFG COD: MW 2 doesn't have any dedi servers or mods how awful!"....sure there is some middle ground but if you don't like it then go to BIS and state your arguements carefully and hopefully they will listen.

p.s. for everyone who just saw me compare an aspect of arma2 to mw2 i have put on my flame resistant jacket so go ahead because if you read carefully i compared nothing about the two games themselves.

p.p.s. @ whisper sorry mate this isn't really a rant against you more against this kind of thread in general it seems like every 5 threads i read these days descend into this kind of arguement.