Sign in to follow this  
Magnum0311

You can't Play this game Multiplayer.

Well I see some posts on these forums and other forums wondering "Why doesn't anyone play Arma2??"

Well after 2 days from having purchased this game, I can tell you why.

This has proven to be the biggest pain in the ass of a game to try and play multiplayer, that at this point, I would say that there IS no multiplayer.

The server menu is packed full of servers that are empty, and when you try and join the ones that do have some players, you will end up with a message that you are "Using Modified File CA"

After which you will get a message "Session Lost"

Or "You were kicked off the game."

One person mentioned it might be that they are running the ACE Mod.

So I went out and downloaded the ACE Mod, and Six Arma Updater, and went through the very non user friendly attempt of updating and installing this Mod.

It did nothing to solve the problem of being kicked any time I join a server, or getting a session lost message.

So if any of you are wondering why this game isn't being played much, I think maybe you should start looking into those reasons and fix them before advertising that more people should join.

The way it stands now I'm about to call this game a waste of 53 dollars. :mad:

ACE2 isn't the only mod being used in MP, there are many more. The servers tend to say whether or not addons or mods are being used in their names, or through putting the @ sign somewhere in their server name or mission name. I always find there are an abundance of vanilla servers so I have no need to download mods necessarily.

Also, you have BattlEye, which may kick you due to connectivity issues you are having. That is a tough nut to crack, as I have found out. Thankfully it doesn't happen often.

Finally, you must make sure your game is patched to the latest patch, in this case it's v1.05. Otherwise you will be kicked from most games due to obvious reasons.

Do you not play games for singleplayer aspects, though? ArmA II is pretty unique in that regard.

ArmA MP works in perculiar ways, compared to most other games out there. You need a bit of social engineering to get anywhere, because each server has a potentially unique setup.

First step is to ask youself what kind of game you want. Is it PvP or Coop? Do you want a casual game or a more strict, clan-based one?

A good second step would be to head over to the squad pages, where you can find all manner of outfits, organisations and club houses.

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90

A good many of those are recruiting, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you're signing any contracts; it just means that they are open for business.

Go check out their web pages, and you will find detailed instructions on how to join their particular server, at least on some of them.

I am a coop player, for instance. I play at Zeus Gaming Community twice a week and on Tactical Gamer whenever there's a game on. Both of those run off the Yoma Addons Synchronizer. That is my setup, yours will probably be different.

So, as I said, it might be a hassle, particularly if you were counting on a quick plug-n-play experience, but that is the way it is.

I hope this helps you in any way, and good luck to you.

ACE2 isn't the only mod being used in MP, there are many more. The servers tend to say whether or not addons or mods are being used in their names, or through putting the @ sign somewhere in their server name or mission name. I always find there are an abundance of vanilla servers so I have no need to download mods necessarily.

Also, you have BattlEye, which may kick you due to connectivity issues you are having. That is a tough nut to crack, as I have found out. Thankfully it doesn't happen often.

Finally, you must make sure your game is patched to the latest patch, in this case it's v1.05. Otherwise you will be kicked from most games due to obvious reasons.

Do you not play games for singleplayer aspects, though? ArmA II is pretty unique in that regard.

My game is patched, and it isn't my ping. I managed to join someones game earlier which was quite obviously a mod, some cops and robbers mod.

It let me download the scenario like it should.

In any case getting kicked off the game due to the mysterious "Modified file CA" happens with any server for the most part.

When I installed the game I got a lot of errors at the end because it kept trying to install STEAM crap, so I just hit ignore to each one.

And while the single player aspect on this game may be amazing.....no I do not buy games, especially war scenario games, to play single player.

If anyone wants this game to actually thrive with a lot of packed servers, then a lot has to be done to make it easier to play this game multiplayer.

You can't just advertise this game as being a multiplayer war sim and then expect people who buy it to go sorting through the internet and troubleshooting road blocks and doing all kinds of complex stuff just to play a match.

If it is kicking you because a file called CA is modified, then there is something very wrong with your installation of ArmA II. That is a core piece of ArmA II. If that is screwed, then I suggest reinstalling.

What Steam errors were you getting? You really shouldn't just ignore those...

Edited by Zipper5

No, no. I think the "modified file ca" is just the signature verification telling you you're using a mod/you're not using the same mods as the server. Are you using a mod? If you're using ANY mods aside from vanilla you should try removing them - not just mods in @modfolders, but any mods you've put directly into your Addons folder as well.

That said, I do agree to a degree - I never play public MP, partly because it's such a chore finding a populated vanilla server that'd play something I like. Then again, I bought this game for the SP aspect mostly, so no problems here :)

Regards,

Wolfrug

Can this be that the OP has overwritten some files in ARMA2/Addons maybe?

Well I see some posts on these forums and other forums wondering "Why doesn't anyone play Arma2??"

This has proven to be the biggest pain in the ass of a game to try and play multiplayer, that at this point, I would say that there IS no multiplayer.

The server menu is packed full of servers that are empty, and when you try and join the ones that do have some players, you will end up with a message that you are "Using Modified File CA"

So I went out and downloaded the ACE Mod, and Six Arma Updater, and went through the very non user friendly attempt of updating and installing this Mod.

It did nothing to solve the problem of being kicked any time I join a server, or getting a session lost message.

So if any of you are wondering why this game isn't being played much, I think maybe you should start looking into those reasons and fix them before advertising that more people should join.

Yup, welcome to the death of Arma2. It's sad that it is still being advertised out there and sucking money out of new players while every month just fragments more and more and becomes less and less new player friendly.

Oh great, Slyder's back. :rolleyes:

ArmA II is not dying, nor are they stealing peoples' money. If you're so hurt by stuff like this, a little bit of background research before buying the title would have revealed this to have been the case. Instead you spent your money prematurely while you were ill-informed. The only one to blame for buying the game and finding this out is yourself.

We're simply trying to help this guy out, so don't go flamebaiting in this thread, Slyder.

It's sad that it is still being advertised out there and sucking money out of new players.

Oh boy.

Here, a handkerchief, a pad on your shoulder and my foot in front of the door as its obvious till now you failed to miss any door on your way out.

My game is patched, and it isn't my ping. I managed to join someones game earlier which was quite obviously a mod, some cops and robbers mod.

It let me download the scenario like it should.

Yes it let you download the MISSION not any mods ;)

Next time you join a server and get kicked take a screenshot and post it here then we can help you telling which mods your missing :)

lol i can understand your point of view,it could be considerated a bit frustrating this game.also the MP is dominated by stupid boots and not qualitative pvp maps.

but before selling this game i suggest you to wait this project till come out:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=96700

p.s. first post here,hi all.

i dont have seen a section to say "hello" so i will use this moment to do it :)

Edited by ***LeGeNDK1LLER***

Hi all

At the top of the Multiplayer section Stickied there is this thread MP Mission Manuals Here Please

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=79628

The very first link tells how to get started in MP if you are New to ArmA II Multiplayer

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=93078

it is a simple step by step guide to ArmA.

Kind Regards walker

Do you copy your mods directly in your arma addons folder or you use modfolders?

If you dont use modfolders then you are not able to play anywhere, because no server has the same mod layout than you i think.

Delete arma/addons/stuff inside this dir. , reinstall all mods but only use modfolders to loafd up mods and NEVER copy those mods in your arma2/addons folder!

Because you are too stupid to get your game running the multiplayer is bad?

Arma has one of the best mp parts i know.

I think your error has nothing to do with arma, i think your error is sitting in front of your pc.

Edited by Pain0815

Before going on a rant, did you try what I indicated here :

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=97078

You gotta admit, though, BIS did name the folder "addons" yet you're not supposed to place any addons in it, so it IS quite counter-intuitive. Especially when some addons just come as a folder named "addons" as well without the actual mod folder.

For the OP, you can start by trying to find servers that don't run any addons (after you make sure your installation is actually clean of improperly installed mods), and learn how to install ACE and how to figure out which additional addons servers are using in a later stage.

Arma has one of the best mp parts i know.

I think your error has nothing to do with arma, i think your error is sitting in front of your pc.

wow this is the best way to receive and wellcome new people..:(

lol i can understand your point of view,it could be considerated a bit frustrating this game.also the MP is dominated by stupid boots and not qualitative pvp maps.

but before selling this game i suggest you to wait this project till come out:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=96700

p.s. first post here,hi all.

i dont have seen a section to say "hello" so i will use this moment to do it :)

Just because you don't like playing against bots doesn't mean everybody else think the same! I only play coop against AI and i enjoy it a lot :)

Even if someone is posting something that you don't agree with it's not necessary to reply in such a tactless manner.

Just because you don't like playing against bots doesn't mean everybody else think the same! I only play coop against AI and i enjoy it a lot :)

i know but problem is not the AI is their intelligence. i like the idea of a coop mission but not with these stupid AI.no so bad in open area but very stupids in

CQB.

but i'm sure the problem is no BIS which is not able to create a proper AI.problem is it's too soon to see AI reacting like humans.

p.s. my prefered MP mission would be a mix of boots and players on both sides on a large scale

operation.guess is just a dream at the moment.

Edited by ***LeGeNDK1LLER***

Well if you actually have an idea of how to make your dream work then start up with the editor... Or even if you just write it down in a way that makes it very clear of what it is and how it should work and why it would work well then maybe someone will pick the idea up and make it. But currently there are just too many "ideas" out there that can't really be translated into a good mission.

Maybe dont hit ignore when the game is trying to install, and you might end up with the files you need, like CA.

If you bought it from steam, you might need to install it the way they require for it to work right.

How will PR fix his broken installation? :confused: