wraith_v

ATTN NOOBIES! - New to ArmA II or OA - Here's the place for your questions

What's your modline?

Thanks for your quick reply pipscouse & PvPscene. I'm sure it's one of the mods I have running. With only ACE active, the 2 extra logos are gone, . I am quickly learning that many mods will conflict with one another and some can be responsible for many of the problems I've been having with crashes.

I am attempting to find out the mod that is the cause at the moment. I will report back when I fine out. I use Arma II Launcher 3.1.1 to launch the game.

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

This is why I still qualify as a noob. :D I had the 2 expansions clicked in the launcher.

MbqrA.jpg

Do not check those.

This was causing the logos to show up. Now they don't. Example.

Edited by neven
words

I think it does not hurt to have the pics twice.

The reason is probably as the game runs BAF/PMC automatically if found.

So there is no need to add it to the modline / tick them inside the launcher tools.

How do you command more than 9 AI on your team?

I keep forgetting the key strokes for the command menu to select the 10th , 11th , 12th etc guys.

Whenever I land on a repair pad in a chopper, or drive over one in any other vehicle, for some reason I lose all of my fuel. Why's this?

The type of repair pads I'm talking about are the ones in the TAW and 7th Cavalry Domination servers.

@PELHAM

More then 10 men in squad use ~ key ;). Or target on unit with mouse push backspace or spacebar key dont remember. And from menu in left side of monitor you cen choose unit 11,12,...50. And give him orders.

Whenever I land on a repair pad in a chopper, or drive over one in any other vehicle, for some reason I lose all of my fuel. Why's this?

The type of repair pads I'm talking about are the ones in the TAW and 7th Cavalry Domination servers.

This is the domination repair pad working. It takes away all your fuel and turns your engine off while it repairs and rearms the vehicle. It can take a while and you need to stay in the vehicle while it's working. It will refuel you when it's finished.

The problem can come with underslung vehicle as the repair pad gets confused and treats the airlift helo and the underslung vehicle as one and tries to rearm them both. The trick is to drop the vehicle next to it then drive or push it onto the repair pad.

Edited by Tankbuster

Greetings folks! Old school player of the original OFP coming back to apparently the true successor of OFP for a little dose of pain. Foolishly enough, I picked up Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising (hey it was $5 on steam, it was cheap!) thinking that it would be what I was looking for, but it turned out to be a mediocre console port.

Couple things I've been curious about since getting ArmA2:CA, pretty much exclusively regarding single player mode. I've been poking my way through the Red Harvest campaign doing my best to not get shot, and stop standing around in the middle of the road like a numpty and getting shot by a tank (oopsies!). One thing I've been noticing, is that I've been having a rather difficult time finding the enemy, especially with the clock based co-ordinates that my AI chaps say (what can I say? all my clocks are digital! :yay:), is there a mod or something that will add in more or less a nice noob friendly radar like I saw in Dragon Rising? or am I really better off trying to forget about that type of thing, just slowing down and trying to find them the old fashioned way rather than going for the immediate kill everything that moves Counterstrike style reaction?

So far my AI squad at least in the Red Harvest campaign have been quite useful, they're quite good shots! Last night when I did the 'Razor Two' mission in the Red Harvest campaign, I was cruising around in a HMMV with the MG on the roof. My dudes called out that there were enemies off in the distance, so I stopped the car, hopped out crouched and started scanning around to try and find them (I have my draw distance set at 6000 too!). I couldn't see a darn thing, and was about to call my AI compatriots nincompoops when suddenly my chappy manning the MG started firing off rounds. At first I thought he was trying to kill mosquitoes or something as I hadn't found anyone, and then I aligned my view to the direction of his gun and WAAAAAAAAAAAY off in the distance I could see a squad of enemies getting mowed down by my chappy on the MG. I scoped in with my rifle to try and get a kill or two myself, but with how quickly the MG was taking them down, and with my rifle having no real zoom on it I think I was more of a threat to the squirrels than the people I was shooting at! Well at least I'm good at driving the cars anyway. ;)

I suppose I should actually get to a question again...

After I finish off the campaign(s) I'll likely be looking for a map/mode similar to the 'Island War' mission/campaign that I found for Dragon Rising. I'm sure with the scope of ArmA2 being what it is, someone here has done something similar to that idea before.

Basically what I'm looking for is a map where it's Team A vs Team B (would be awesome if there was Team C/D too, but that's probably not too likely lol), and it's effectively a dynamic assault/war between A and B where they are each trying to take bases/strong points from each other and take over the map. Would be very cool if there was a main base that I could go to and 'buy' vehicles, men, and weapons at as well! I'm really only looking for this as a singleplayer experience, as with my pesky wife I really need the ability to pause my game. ;)

Could someone suggest a map/scenario/campaign/etc. that could give me that type of experience?

I've heard good things about the ACE2 modifications, but I think I might get a bit more experience under my hat before I start adding on even more difficulty to the game.

Anyway, thanks for reading my wall of text. :D

@Shadow_wolf33

Welcome, you join in 2002 and now first post :)

Ok, about yors question 1. Ace mod its not best mod for sp playing, Ace could make trouble in sp . About mission check warfare scenarios you must take enemy camps, you buy weapons and vehicles etc.

But i suggest to check armaholic website and download section for Arma 2 and Op. Arrowhead you can find ther very good user made campaigns with cutscens and voice acting. Go ther and download all :)

I probably made quite a few posts back in 2002, but I think they've all fallen off the internet by now!

Where abouts would I find these warfare scenarios? are they one BIG fight? or more like a bunch of smaller individual conflicts?

Yeah, I think you'll be happy with Benny's Warfare...

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7313

Capture the Island (CTI) mode.

You can play SP or MP (Co-Op and PvP)

Suggested addons to get:

WarFX-Blastcore:http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12975

Visual enhancement of explosions and other effects. (Needs powerful computer)

Vapor Trails: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7102

Must have...

Sun flare reduction: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6669

Optional.

ShackTack Movement: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=109628

Better movement near objects so you don't get stuck. (Essential for CQB)

Edited by EDcase

@Shadow_wolf33

You must search sp/ coop missions or warfare mission packs search for warfare in the name of mission. i dont like those missions too much so you must find them yourself :) i dont know names of those missions so im cant help you with this too much.

Right Bennys Warfare how cant i forget :)

And i suggest : J.S.R.S sound mod version 1.3

Edited by tom3kb

Thanks for the suggestions Edcase, I think that Benny's Warfare is exactly what I'm looking for! If I'm playing it SP do I have to run it like a MP map but with no one in it? or does it show up in the singleplayer selection menu?

Greetings everyone,

I bought A2: RFT, and I found my favorite part is using the Editor to make my own missions. I'm wondering how I can combine the original ArmA2 models that RFT doesn't have (eg. T-90, LAV-25, Vodnik, F-35 etc) into it? is this possible to combine them with A2: Free? or I have to buy A2: CO?

If I buy CO, will it combine automatically with RFT if I just install it into the same dir? or do I need to uninstall RFT first and install CO, then install RFT again? if I uninstall the RFT, will my missions be kept?

I sugest buy arma 2 CO, and then you must first uninstall RFT.

And then :

!. Uninstall Arma 2 rft.

2 Install Arma 2 co.

3. Install Arma 2 rft or only 2 dlc-s BAF and PMC from DVD in the main folder of arma 2.

Now you have Arma 2 CO with 2 dlc :) the whole game.

If you have problems with installation only 2 dlc-s from dvd check this

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=117164

Edited by tom3kb

You can combine a2 with RFT felixpf.

Possibly also A2F with RFT. We will have to wait and see.

For a2 with RFT:

1) install a2

2) install RFT in the same folder

3) launch RFT => CO active

Thanks Tom and Pv, I'll buy CO and combine them together, yeah!

How do I create mine fields and set up single mines where I want them in the editor?

you usually find them in the editor under objects and simply place them on the map

note that you first have to place a playable unit to access this

Ah yes, you have to place unit type "Empty" and then select from the various objects.

I found there are two types of mines, "mine" and "mine(RU)", and a selection of 4 IEDs (I suppose from the BAF expansion). When I place the mine, nothing happens by itself.

Is there some sort of trigger script I have to insert, such as "triggered by OPFOR/BLUFOR"? I tried JTD mines but those work by themselves. This must seem like such a noob question, but it has taken a while for me to fully grasp the usability of the editor.

Mines in arma2 react only on tanks and apc. But not on cars,trucks or brdm. You dont have to place any trigger just drop the mines and wait for enemy tanks :)

If you need anty personal minefield you have to use triggers and scripts.

To BIS

I just tested out the public release of

Take on helicopters

In ARMA+OA and wow is all I can say.

Please could you advise if there will be plans to add the new level of realism to the existing planes and choppers in ARMA2+OA plus the new render to texture?.

Please BIS add this as I love ARMA2 for what it is a SIM and this just tops it off even more its great.

Thanks

P.S

Any plans for a

Take on aeroplanes

So we can have more realism on the planes to in ARMA2+OA :).

The new render to texture would be great in ARMA2+OA imagine the Apache with all the working screens inside displaying what the camera sees it would be awesome.

Thanks

This thread really isn't the place to post your testimonial for take on helicopters, it would be more appropriate in the Take on Helicopters thread.

Thread here is for new players to Arma2OA with questions reguarding gameplay or the game in general.

Take on Helicopters is a another game outside of Arma2CO, or Arma2 altogether.

Maybe even post a suggestion somewhere.

Hi to all,

I bought the game (ARMA2) some time back and fiddeld with it. But due to time constraints (work and real life) and an older PC (performance) I was not able to play much.

As I am currently configure my new PC I think it is time to enjoy this game at last when I am done with that.

However, I remember that I could not get into ARMA2 due to lack of a lot of basic things, my own stupidity and some lack of time.

I did play all of the tutorials and fiddeld a bit with the "armory". It was a lot of fun in one way and much more frustration in another.

I am aware that this IS a simulation and not a simple action shooter.

The tutorials are not bad but there is way too much not explained properly (meaning not exhaustive enough) or not at all for a beginning player.

It is a little like todays flight sims (like IL2 etc.) which do NOT have some beginner level stuff like the very old Microprose/SWOTL sims (a LOT of basic training missions like just start the airplane and fly a circle) had.

For example I could not really figure out how to use the map properly !!!

This begins with the basics of the map itself like which icon/landmark features means what, use of GPS etc.

Its a lot of "try and error" finding out for yourself.

Is there maybe some kind of compilations of VERY basic stuff out there like:

How do I walk, run, climb (ok, its in the tutorial, but just to illustrate)

How to read the map (the map has the following sections<sreenshot>, it has on it an icon for tree<sreenshot>, road etc.)

How do I use this map.... (you are here, the moving icon there indicates....)

For the time being I want only the very basic infantry stuff (no vehicles or any advanced stuff) to ease me into the game.

Maybe there are some usermade additional training/tutorial scenaries out there explaining things in addition to the tutorials?

Possibly some pdf/txt file with additional/rewritten stuff to the manual ?

Some helpful links..?

For what its worth I also own ARMA 2 OA but did not yet install it.

Maybe there are included some of the stuff I am looking for.

I hope to get into it and maybe interest some friends for ARMA2 Free for some LAN sightseeing tour..:) with maybe some very dumb AI thrown into it.

I apologize if I am being to offensive or stupid but I really would appreciate some help to get me into this interesting simulation.

Thanks for any help in advance