wraith_v

ATTN NOOBIES! - New to ArmA II or OA - Here's the place for your questions

Hi, I have been through ARMA II and OA, and I would like to redo the campaigns with my wife - she has some experience with games, but not with a infantry-sim. It would be great if we could do the training missions together, but I think that is not possible in vanilla, is that correct? If so, are there any multiplayer friendly training missions to be found?

And one more question: is there any way to get an addon weapon (like RH's ACR) into official campaign? Thanks a lot for any help!

Which A.I mod is recommended for ARMA2: OA (for singel player use)?

I was recommended ASR AI in another thread, but according to the Six Updater it's not compatible..

Edited by mkultra

Hi everyone.

I just recently bought the Arma 2 CO package and I already learned a small fraction of the game, but still haven't touched a lot of the possibilities at all.

When I played the Arma 2 campaign I was a bit confused about the game mechanics in the "base building and recruiting"-missions; starting from mission 9 iirc.

My main question is: How is it possible to create a new "strategic" unit (I don't know how else to call it): The one that is visible when going into the Ctrl+Space command mode. For some reasons all units I was able to create in mission 9 were joining my Force Recon unit, so I had to click through 50 units with the F-keys. I could not figure out how to make them join a separate unit. Of course you can give them a color, but I wont play mission 10 until I know how to create those infantry / vehicles within another unit. Even in the Boot Camp no word is spent on that subject.

Second question would be: I finished the mission 9 just by looking at the strategic map for about 30 mins, sending units from village to village and easily succeeding due to massive amounts of money. Is that a matter of game difficulty? It was really easy to beat the mission on the second difficulty (regular?). How else should I use the money besides recruiting massive amounts of troops and just marching across the map defeating everything in my way just be the amount of men in my army?

Which A.I mod is recommended for ARMA2: OA (for singel player use)?

They all work in singleplayer, but they all do different stuff, and all require either Arma2 or Arma2OA.

You have AI mods for Arma2 and then you have AI mods for Arma2CO (Arma2OA, or Arma2 Combined Ops).

this means that some mods built in Arma2 are not compatible in Arma2OA, so if you have Arma2 only and not OA then this means that mods that

work in OA you will not be able to use because they are not compatible, so as 6updater has told you AsRAI will not work in Arma2 alone as it needs OA.

refer to my AI Compilation List of Addons/Mods/Scripts & Misc

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?117674-AI-Compilation-List-of-Addons-Mods-Scripts-amp-Misc

Like wrote, I use ARMA2: OA :) Steam version, if that matters.. Six Updater says it's not compatible with OA when i install it manually, and if i dont install it, Six Updater isnt listing that mod at all: http://piclair.com/data/bljdk.jpg

If you installed it manually then try the game out and see if you see influence of the mod in the game.

I ordered a hard copy of ArmA II - Combined Operations yesterday.

What are the recommended Mods and / or Addons or Fixes I should already download?

Should I download the six updater too?

thx in advance

I am an old Player. I played Operation Flashpoint, Red Hammer and Resistance. So I like the gameplay and I am used to the simulation way of playing. But there have been years since I last played Resistance - and I never played any other Bohemia game since then. So maybe a short list of what I should download or do is very welcomed for an old head like me :)

btw. cant wait for Arma III !! Wow it looks so great.

Hi tremanarch

Welcome back to the Community.

Well to start theres alot of popular mods, but as Im sure you may know its all about how you want to play your game:

Armaholic link for Arma2OA & CO mods:

http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=arma2_oa_files_modules

look through the list and read the descriptions and see what catches your eye.

Some great ones:

-Advanced Combat Environment 2 (ACE)-(realism)

-COWarMod -(massive compilation mod i built has 223 mods in it)

-COSLX -(updated version of the original SLX I had updated)

-Invasion 1944 - D-Day -(WW2) Ausome!

-Cold War Rearmed² : Demo³ -(currently a demo but this will take you back to OFP days but on Arma2 engine!)

-Project Reality: Arma 2 -(like Ace for realism)

- J.S.R.S. Soundmod (sound mod)http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11549

-RWS - Real Warfare Soundmod http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=13252

just a few I have used and would recommend, others can recommend to you some great stuff too, but like i said go through the list and see what catches your interest.

As far as fixes, just get the latest patch and betas too if you want.

6 updater is cool to from what i hear.

lastly Huge website where you can get all your addons & mods, scripts, missions, ect,. here:

http://www.armaholic.com/index.php

Hope that helps.

Günter Severloh:

It will say it needs this addon

q9wm6.jpg

No idea where to find it.. i googled it but couldnt find a download link :/

Also, do i need CBA and CBA_OA or just CBA_OA?

Thanks!

Did you download and install ASR_AI by itself (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12105) or is with something?

but that file VSS_vintorez is already in the game, CAweapons is in the addons folder of the Arma2 directory.

makes no sense to me I know about the CA but not what it means, as If you have Arma2CO then i dont see what the issue is.

yes you need CBA-->http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6231

if your running Arma2CO aka combined Ops then just CBA, if your running Arma2OA standalone then you need CBA_OA too.

read the readme included it will tell you how to setup your shortcut and which one to use.

Yes i installed it by itself, from that link.

i'm using this "C:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" -mod=@CBA;@CBA_OA;@ASR_AI

The readme for ASR_AI didnt say anything about how to set it up... that's the biggest problem with adding mods to this game i think, very little info anywhere of how to set things up, the modders just take for granted you're a harcore ARMA player since years it seems.

Hi tremanarch

Welcome back to the Community.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much. That helps a lot. I am trying out some mods right now.

Is there a list of the Graphical Options, mainly what they do? (HDR is so bloomy, and the Textures are sometimes low - switching between high and low i guess - when i come closer to an object then its sharp again.)

I had an intense fight in the campaign in the woods. When the shooting startet all of a sudden it felt like the real thing really. WoW - what a great game! What a shame i missed this one when it came out.

Edited by tremanarch

Is there a list of the Graphical Options, mainly what they do?

The manual-->http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/33900/ArmA%202_Manual_US.pdf?t=1299122957

pg 23, and 24.

Another idea is to test your game with graphics and stuff quickly, is to just go into the sp editor:

choose editor-->pick island--> new mission-->double click to place a unit (it will automatically be a player(you)-->name and save (usermission)

-->hit preview and play-->adjust your graphics and go from there.

to change graphics mid flight just hit escape to pause and make your changes then hit escape again to unpause.

hope that helps.

Im very new to ArmA II multiplayer online, so there are several questions I need to ask about :

1. Is it normal whenever I got killed and respawn in main base, my character always crawling forward until at least I ordered to stop ?

2. Why do if I kill someone, there isn't any anouncement (ie : player A killed by player B) even though I saw similar announcement in other player killed other player but never with my case ?

Any answer will be appreciated :rolleyes: , thank you very much

I'm not actually a noob but I have a noob question about custom faces.

Where do I put the .jpg or .paa file? I have a boxed edition of Arma II Combined Operations and there isn't a MyDocuments/arma2/otherusers folder. I have also looked in the game folder. I have tried to do the custom face since release and have read almost every post about how to do it but nobody has actually had the same problem so I am still stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Is it normal whenever I got killed and respawn in main base, my character always crawling forward until at least I ordered to stop ?

No its not, it could be a bug in the mission, or lag

2. Why do if I kill someone, there isn't any anouncement (ie : player A killed by player B) even though I saw similar announcement

in other player killed other player but never with my case ?

Depends on the mission, as all missions in this game are custom, they are not standard setup like other games.

What mission are you playing?

No its not, it could be a bug in the mission, or lag

Depends on the mission, as all missions in this game are custom, they are not standard setup like other games.

What mission are you playing?

er I forgot the detail name, but it is an 24th MEU Domination (there is an announcement in every beginning of the game "welcome to tactical realism gaming , no intentionally friendly fire and teambleeding for purpose ). About the bug from question no 1 , how to fix it ?

I just recently played again the same map, but this time sometimes I can't drive any vehicle ie : truck or bicycle or humvee , there isn't appear any User Interface to get in the vehicles (for example : get in as driver or gunner or loader and else) .

Is this considered bug as well ? :confused:

Sorry for too much asking :o

Thank you so much for the help :D

Edited by Special_Air_Service

Well, I would play a reg Domination and see if that works for you and i it does then its that missions your trying to play in particular.

Are you playing this on a server or hosting the mission?

Well, I would play a reg Domination and see if that works for you and i it does then its that missions your trying to play in particular.

Are you playing this on a server or hosting the mission?

on server, US server if correct, Iam not yet able to host a map :)

on server, US server if correct, Iam not yet able to host a map :)

Hosting your own map is pretty easy, download the mission from this forum or armaholic.

Go to multiplayer and host it. If the mission is only for dedicated server, goto arma 2 folder and run arma2oaserver.exe. let it load then run your arma, goto multiplayer and select local instead of internet. you will see your own server there, other people can easily join in by using filter and typing your server name. remember to vote yourself as admin so you can change the mission parameter or change mission.

really useful when you want to try the stuffs in the mission without making other player angry. You can also find the mission file that you play on online server in your arma2 cache folder. just copy the mission .pbo file to your arma 2 mp folder, then you can see the mission name when you are hosting.

you need to enable hidden files and folder 1st.

win XP cache location -

C:\Documents and Settings\ your windows user name \Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA 2\MPMissionsCache

Win vista and 7 -

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\ArmA 2\MPMissionsCache

Edited by gunso

Where do I put the .jpg or .paa file? I have a boxed edition of Arma II Combined Operations and there isn't a MyDocuments/arma2/otherusers folder.

AFAIK, it should go into the My Documents\ArmA 2 folder

Hosting your own map is pretty easy, download the mission from this forum or armaholic.

Go to multiplayer and host it. If the mission is only for dedicated server, goto arma 2 folder and run arma2oaserver.exe. let it load then run your arma, goto multiplayer and select local instead of internet. you will see your own server there, other people can easily join in by using filter and typing your server name. remember to vote yourself as admin so you can change the mission parameter or change mission.

really useful when you want to try the stuffs in the mission without making other player angry. You can also find the mission file that you play on online server in your arma2 cache folder. just copy the mission .pbo file to your arma 2 mp folder, then you can see the mission name when you are hosting.

you need to enable hidden files and folder 1st.

win XP cache location -

C:\Documents and Settings\ your windows user name \Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA 2\MPMissionsCache

Win vista and 7 -

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\ArmA 2\MPMissionsCache

Thank you :) , gonna try it soon , but for now I need to learn more about Multiplayer in ArmA II before hosting my own map, because Iam still unexperienced in Multiplayer mode :D

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

oh , How to play or at least found server that have low ping ? most of the server in server list are ranging from 150 ms at best and up to 300 ms which quite unplayable :(

Thank you :) , gonna try it soon , but for now I need to learn more about Multiplayer in ArmA II before hosting my own map, because Iam still unexperienced in Multiplayer mode :D

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

oh , How to play or at least found server that have low ping ? most of the server in server list are ranging from 150 ms at best and up to 300 ms which quite unplayable :(

The thing about arma 2 custom mission MP or SP, because it's a custom, each mission have it's own quirk or way to doing things because its scripted by different mission maker.

Reading the notes might help but with a game as vast as Benny Warefare, Domination or Evolution. New player might feel overwhelm by all the new function included in the game. Not to mention the list of configurable parameter when hosting it yourself.

Server with low ping depends on your location and internet actually. Using wireless provider usually gives quite high ping compared to land line (i'm talking about 3G n etc not wifi ) =)

People in US or europe usually wont have any trouble finding servers, but if you're in Asia like me. Then it's quite frustrating looking for servers because most of them are clan based with password and some of them play only on certain schedule. you can join their clan of course, Just look at the website on their server name that have low ping for you.

But if you're hosting, i've found that games are usually playable with people from distant continent around 3-4 player. Even with ping ~300ms, playing on public server will cause a problem with a lot of players tho with that kind of ping. But it runs fine when you're playing with just a few of your buddies hosts by the players.

Edited by gunso

Filter RCB in server browser (btw hosted in UK), if you see me on one of our servers,feel free to hop on for a game.

Ask away any questions you have about playing online :cool:

Filter RCB in server browser (btw hosted in UK), if you see me on one of our servers,feel free to hop on for a game.

Ask away any questions you have about playing online :cool:

I will try it :) , I hope it won't have high ping :p

Because Iam in South East Asia :D