Sign in to follow this  
icebreakr

Aliens vs Predator

Thats my problem then I think, I got a GTX275 a few weeks ago which has been great with Arma 2 & all my other games, yet this one even though it doesnt look like it should seriously challenge my hardware seems to be suffering with this random lagging, very odd! Im getting really brassed off with PC games being released buggy & unfinished, and then having to have intrusive online software (steam) chugging away in the background to let me play them!

Steam isn't to blame. To be honest, I've never had any problems with Steam.

But yah, it's the DX10/11 client. My FPS can be in the 100's but I get this weird stuttering lag that comes and goes.

DX9 runs fine and the visual difference is negligible.

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, the dedicated server files are released with a few big catches :

1. It seems you need to own the game on Steam to be able to install the dedicated server software.

2. You need to install the whole game (15gb) to be able to run a server.

3. You need Steam running to be able to run a server.

4. You need one Steam account per physical server (which means buying one copy of the game per machine).

If anyone wants to play with some ArmA2 community chaps rather than hang around on public servers, we've got a dedi server up. Although it may mostly go down at night. Mostly. Look for Volcbat, the password is stayfrosty. Feel free to use it.

And no, you don't need to buy the game to run a dedi server bulldogs. :) You just need to create a steam account for the server.

Edited by Pathy

Great Pathy, I mighty drop by with my squad buddies. Add me @steam: icebreakr.

That's good to hear. That info was from ausgamers, I'll let em know that their info is wrong

I loved the first 2 games and still play AVP now. Im getting the game for my birthday and looking forward to it. I dont really pay attention to reviews because i like to judge for myself. I have however heard frequent complaints about the melee attacks being very hard or unstable to control. I also have found out from playing the first 2 games is that there is a level of difficulty depending on the character you play as. The predators gameplay is easy because he is a walking tank. Marine medium, because alough still armed isnt as strong as the predator and also has to fight against tough predators and super fast aliens. And playing as an alien is difficult because you have to rely on speed and melee accuracy in order to win.

I have seen a lot of people asking about the colonial marines game. I admit i nearly sprayed my pants when i saw the screenshots and really looked forward to it, hoping it to keep very closely to the james cameron aliens. However i have heard that The game has been scrapped and will not be developed anymore. No idea why but its not coming out.

Also i saw a post on poject igi, i loved that game too, (not only because the character is british and shares the same full name as me.) but it was full on action.

i hope you will like it, cause me - not

it is different than AvP1 and AvP2 :(

this game is only good at graphics , sounds etc.

but main idea "stupid shooter to relax after day of work" is not present anymore

you don't have too much guns, Predator is weak here and has only one new weapon per level, you don't start with all weapons, you loose energy - zero fun of playing Predator

maybe missions storyline is good, but i always loved AvP for "stupid relax shooting" , for me AvP is best of serie , most "true" in feeling and there Predator was strong beast

from my p.o.v. it has as much to AvP1 as Dragon Rising to OFP (okay it was too sadistic comparision) , but i hate when i start with Predator with "training mission", than "do what arrow says" , than "only one weapon and after 5 shots only blade, cause you lost energy to fire"

i hope you will like it, cause me - not

it is different than AvP1 and AvP2 :(

this game is only good at graphics , sounds etc.

but main idea "stupid shooter to relax after day of work" is not present anymore

you don't have too much guns, Predator is weak here and has only one new weapon per level, you don't start with all weapons, you loose energy - zero fun of playing Predator

maybe missions storyline is good, but i always loved AvP for "stupid relax shooting" , for me AvP is best of serie , most "true" in feeling and there Predator was strong beast

from my p.o.v. it has as much to AvP1 as Dragon Rising to OFP (okay it was too sadistic comparision) , but i hate when i start with Predator with "training mission", than "do what arrow says" , than "only one weapon and after 5 shots only blade, cause you lost energy to fire"

I have to agree with you Vilas, the Predator is, in a word, naff.

None of the films, GNs or whatever have ever portrayed the Predator as having a "limited" supply of power. It can generate a small nuclear explosion FFS.

This may have been done in the name of balance but the Predator was far better in the first 2 games and MP was much better as well. It was much harder to find and kill the Predator in PH games and thus, far more exhilirating.

I've tried to go back to AvP 2010 a couple of times now but it has 0 replay value. The campaign(s) are boring enough the 1st time round, there is really no reason to revisit them and the MPs boring, cookie cutter maps that are copied and pasted from the SP game are all just symmetrical "arenas" that show little (if any creativity).

/yawn

Uh, didn't the Predator have limited energy in the 2nd game? If you used it up, you had to use some kind of recharge device.

Uh, didn't the Predator have limited energy in the 2nd game? If you used it up, you had to use some kind of recharge device.

yes that you could use at any time rather than having to find an energy source to recharge like with the batteries for the marine

yes that you could use at any time rather than having to find an energy source to recharge like with the batteries for the marine

What he said.

and Predator has no Alien-see vision :( as i remember only 2 types of view :(

other than AvP 1/2 - there "full arsenal" of Predie was available

vilas said:
and Predator has no Alien-see vision :( as i remember only 2 types of view :(

other than AvP 1/2 - there "full arsenal" of Predie was available

Whaaaat? No electric view?

yes, only thermal and usual human view (i played 2 missions before i took back game to shop)

only 1 weapon (except blades) and after 5-8 shots enery lost :(

to kill human sometimes 2-3 shots (as Alien) , so you may LOST all energy on ... 2-3 opponents , really, i don't cheat

i prefer AvP 1 much much more

and this auto-aim not works in AvP as in previous

AvP3 is weakest Predie i ever seen

Marine is good mission, very frightening but i always wanted play Predie in this game, when i want to play rifle and human - i have 1000 other games

Edited by vilas

vilas you do get more than two weapons as the pred u know...you just dont get them until later in the game...

later in game... eh

it is not the way many of us would expect continuation of AvP serie :(

there are 5 mission for each specie ? if i played 2 (one was stupid training) than how much gameplay left with alien-seek mask and new weapons ?

AvP3 was for me disappointment :( really pity cause i was big fan of AvP1

of course if someone not played 1999 game , i believe he will see this game great

Edited by vilas

i agree but as i was just suggesting u check what weapons u get before posting. The game is waaay to short for my tastes.

Its fun enough to play, but its far too daft in places, like if a marine sees you as the Predator, you just have to hide for a few seconds & they say "dont let your guard down" & go back to their patrol routes, and they arent at all bothered if they stumble on the corpse of one of their mates! Even in metal gear solid 10 years ago guards went on the alert if they saw another dead guard!

As I suspected, the DLC milking begins.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/108148/aliens-vs-predator-dlc-next-week

Rebellion/SEGA are another group of devs/publishers I won't be buying anything from again.

$50.00 for a 3 hour campaign and some forgettable MP and now they want more money for 4 throw away maps.

No thanks.

Even if it kills off developers, it's absolutely imperative that we do not support these greedy wankers. They are killing PC gaming with their unambitious cash grabs.

Edited by BangTail

50 USD for new missions ? hehehehehe

now we all see - only BIS is great

cause we can do missions ourselves , it only depends of our creativity :) the more lazy we are, the less missions we have :]

50 USD for new missions ? hehehehehe

now we all see - only BIS is great

cause we can do missions ourselves , it only depends of our creativity :) the more lazy we are, the less missions we have :]

Not $50.00 for new missions, that was for the whole game. They want ~$8.00 for the new maps which is $8.00 too much AFAIAC.

Whaaaat? No electric view? Gay!

It was established in the second film that he has all kinds of different filters. Movie continuity fail.