Sign in to follow this  
csj

the FEW

Excellent work CSJ, thanks for these its about time there where propper ww2 addons for arma 2. Bushlurker, cant wait for the island.

r you thinkin of addin some WW2 jets to it as well and plzz add the ju52 and a horten 229 plzzzz :)

Edited by blazer01

lol wicked release, just had a bit of fun on this.. :D

@Aeneas2020 re clouds, the clouds are 3D but objects not particle effect.

I thought particle effect clouds would be a drain on the FPS. I get a major frame rate slow down with a building collapse in game. If particle effect clouds work ok then yes that would be the way to go.

..but I am no good working with particle effects.

@Mr Burns , thanks for the advice "capture as png and convert that to paa", I have set fraps to png. My pc can struggle with ArmA sometimes so my picture quality will never be great.

I am happy to use op pictures for menu screens if supplied.

thanks for mirrors all :)

Brilliant. I really thought your planes were the best in OpF, good variety.

I ve just tried it and its cool :yay:, the Yac's pilots r cool too, and there is round parachute. It reminds me that Yac was working on a carentan project, is it still in work or he gave it up cause it would fit perfectly with these planes.

CJS i hope its ok with ya but i had to do a reskin of the spitfire if ya like pm me your email addy and ill email it to ya i think you many what to use it in a up date and if you like ill have a go with the 109 aswell and the p38 to m8e

... scale isn't too bad and it covers all the Important Places (and wales :rolleyes: )... or maybe it might be better to focus down more to just the SE of England and the opposite coast?

I guess it's just a question of if you prefer to fly over mostly water or mostly terrain... Also worth considering is the fact that someone else is currently doing the Brittany area to a much larger scale... Biggin Hill to Lille could be a better idea...

I'll see what it looks like in-game.....

B

Dont forget the north east of england! :) thats where I live & the area is dotted with dozens of large airfields that were all attacked (even my house has some strafe pockmarks along it from an ME109!) as well as the city of hull being completely flattened! the airfield at Driffield 6 miles from me was regularly bombed by Junkers 88's & there were constant dogfights overhead & night raids by the luftwaffe, dont let the south get all the glory, they forget we got it just as bad up here! :p

Anyway mod looks good & i'll definitely be checking it out!

re: parachute - I could not get the open animations to work as you would have noticed. If somebody can help with this I would appreciate it.

re: CfgGroups - The Axis side would revert to friendly. Side=0;- fixed now

@Aeneas2020 re clouds, the clouds are 3D but objects not particle effect.

I thought particle effect clouds would be a drain on the FPS. I get a major frame rate slow down with a building collapse in game. If particle effect clouds work ok then yes that would be the way to go.

..but I am no good working with particle effects.

@Mr Burns , thanks for the advice "capture as png and convert that to paa", I have set fraps to png. My pc can struggle with ArmA sometimes so my picture quality will never be great.

I am happy to use op pictures for menu screens if supplied.

thanks for mirrors all :)

I recently made some screens with The Few and if you want I can send them to you and you will choose whatever you like for new menu screens.

Edited by Danickas0

@Danickas0

Be glad to look at them, send them or post here.

My my, these flew nice CSJ :)

Had some good fun with them. What surprised me, and this is lack of skills on my part, i could land every one of them :p

Couldn't find nothing wrong with them except some cosmetic stuff.

Here's two screens and an explenation of it:

arma22010012512140937.th.jpg

On the P-38 the model sections don't overlap completely, creating a narrow opening to the outisde.

arma22010012512104652.th.jpg

On the 109 G model there are 2 things i think... Thinking because i believe it's a texture problem. In the pic i made you see 3 red circles. The upper two are the ones i believe are texture errors. The lowest and larger one is another gap in the model. These errors are on both sides of the G model. On the E model the top 2 problems are not present. The bottum 'gap' problem is there.

That's it. They look and fly very nice! Very nice job m8 :bounce3:

@Danickas0 - thanks I have pictures, couple of good action shots in there,

@Warrior Xâ„¢ - thanks X, p38 was more or less a straight conversion from ofp so needs a little more work and the bullet holes you put in the 109 texture I will fix. ;)

Hi guys!

Firstly - apologies to CSJ for such a big post in his thread... I mentioned this idea here first so I thought it only fair to report back here too...

Well I've played with the Battle of Britain "island" idea a little further... I abandoned the bigger map since it covers areas already being modelled by other people and adapted CSJ's idea to cover "Hammersmith to Lille".

Here's a few pics of terrain in-game...

BOB2_01small.jpg

"White" cliffs of Dover coastline (and one of Gnats WWII ships in the distance)...

BOB2_12small.jpg

Somewhere north of Hastings I think...

BOB_01small.jpg

Think this is just above Southend-on-Sea

BOB2_02small.jpg

Dover goes there...

BOB2_07small.jpg

A familiar river to Brit soap-opera fans...

More and better res pics HERE

Not too bad for a few evenings work...

This is a HUGE project - 40x40km... as a familiar example thats roughly 16x Isla Dualas in a square! - Those aren't real Arma2 roads in those pics - they're just lines drawn on the ground using an overlay with actual real-world road positions. (on the ground - they show up as gravel-textured tracks).

The trees ARE real trees - and are all placed via more real-world data - over 300 "wooded areas" - theres a nominal 1 tree per 10 sq m just to see where the forests are - it came to half a million trees!! God knows what it would be like if you used enough to give a real sense of "woods".

It's a huge area - and a comparable area of France on the other side of the Channel, also with realworld roads and wooded areas data in place...

(actually - it's tiny compared to Rip31st's Normandy mod map - which covers this area and a whole 153x153km besides!)...

Still... huge enough...

I worried slightly about continuing this map at all - the area IS covered by Rip31st Normandy map... but the two maps are so different... this whole map is only about a quarter of the area his covers and would almost fit on one of his beaches! - hehe... so I think they're sufficiently different to co-exist...

Island making takes FOREVER! doing an area even remotely covered by someone else would be a bad idea...

I'm already making another serious - and huge - map... The British Ministry Of Defence "Low Flying Area 14" LFA14 - which is about the western 2/3 of the highlands of Scotland... (some unspectacular pics of heather and... soon.... sheepshit clutter HERE if anyones interested)...

I've been working on that off and on for a couple of months now and I reckon it'll still take me till Christmas at least to finish... finish the roads more like...

I simply can't take this one on as a serious project as well...

However - I've pulled it together pretty well so far... theres everything needed to get it in game - shapefile data as overlays for forests and roads, readymade satellite textures and mask... it could easily be converted into a more likely-to-be-finishable 20x20km with relative ease...

Theres a full config with working clutter for Sand, Urban, Cliffs, 2xGrass and Forest Floor...

Everything in the pics is just raw terrain direct from the DEM... The heightmap needs careful editing where most DEM's do - around the rivers and the beaches - the two areas real-world data sometimes doesnt reproduce well at low res...and - of course - it needs the 4 or 5 hundred miles of roads laid - about 12m at a time - in the traditional BIS test-of-endurance manner...

THEN you get to start on the actual towns! - hehehe...

Having said all that - the tricky stuff is done - this is a Project on a Plate - so I'll just give it away as Open Source...

Someone will pick up on it with a bit of luck and develop it as it deserves... otherwise it'll become the Biggest Tutorial Map - Ever...

The files are pretty huge - satmap is about 600mb - the photoshop layers file with everything is about 2.5Gb - I've no idea how I'd actually give the project to someone... I'll tidy it up and package it, see what sort of size we're talking... the playable in-game demo "island" works out around 450mb I think..

Anyhow... I'll try to organise somewhere to host a couple of huge downloads and I'll offer the whole project on the Islands Editing thread or somewhere, where people who might be tempted to take it on hang out... when I get that done I'll also post a download link for the rawterrain-only demo seen in the pics if anyone wants to do a huge download to fly over a whole load of not very much!

So... Sorry to tease you guys, but no bombing runs over a reasonable-looking London in the immediate future I'm afraid... however, it's a viable-looking project, so someone might just make it happen properly...

Back to modelling "Home" - can't take any more of this green and rolling hills stuff...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Personally I think that the map part is not so important as the plane part. CSJ, is is the is a Battle of Britain mod or a full WWII aircraft mod? I would HIGHLY recommend that you concentrate on a wide variety of WWII planes in order to stimulate other WWII mods to actually get on the ball and start releasing stuff. YOu could tell them that they can use your planes only when they have stuff close to being released. :) That would give'em something to work for.

I noticed the Japanese pilot (alot of texture mapping problems) so I imagine that there will eventually be Zeroes?

My dream would be to have working bombers with actual working turret gunners but sadly I guess that's still an impossible dream (BI for some bizarre reason never implemented turret classes on fixed wing aircraft as far as I know). Imagine MP games with a full German bomber crew on gun turrets trying to fend off Hurricanes and Spitfires piloted by opposing players! Or vice versa a formation of B-17 bombers fending off M109's.

One doable thing would be maybe have the Stuka dive bombers with the "siren" added to it that a player could switch on (and that other players would hear as they dive).

At any rate this plane pack is a really good start. I hope that it continues to grow. Now all we need is some WWII infantry and armor. Sadly I imagine that will be years away from now.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

hehe

With the terrain I was thinking also of "Dads Army" invasion scenarios.... we had whole fleets of ice cream vans armoured with old bedsteads y'know.... Jerry wouldn't have stood a chance... :D

Stukas sound amazing tho...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Firstly, 'the FEW' can be used in conjuction with any WWII mod.

'the FEW' is an aerial combat mod but of course at times we would like to mix and match it with the WWII ground combat mods.

We will not be focusing on ground units (never even considered) but more on objects and props.

Yac has kindly provided the pilot model to start and maybe if he likes could include some air and

ground crew but that would be the extent of unit models I would imagine.

AA guns etc I am hoping that they would be covered in other mods.

"CSJ, is is the is a Battle of Britain mod or a full WWII aircraft mod?"

BOB is just one arena. Hopefully, with support, we can cover other arenas as the Pacific

and update aircraft models as they evolved through to the later stages of WWII.

"(BI for some bizarre reason never implemented turret classes on fixed wing aircraft as far as I know)"

not tested MP yet but hopefully will be OK.

the biggest problem I can see would be AI shooting the wings off their own bombers.

@Bushlurker

I have worked on several 51x51 maps so I can appreciate the work involved.

The idea for a BOB map is not to focus on ground units but more so ground targets.

It would be for air combat, bombing raids, recon etc AA, strategic targets, airfields and trains etc

I do not imagine combat troops by the number running around other then those manning guns

or ground crew.

Detail would be higher around airfields but villages, towns, docks and factories would be low detail.

They are my thoughts atm..

The other WWII mods would have or be making maps more suited to detailed ground combat.

I would like to see what you have so far.

I know most are busy doing their own thing but if someone can spare 20 mins to assist with some sqf

work that would be good.

Anyone that thinks they can 'help the cause' is welcome to msg me.

Great job on this mod, CSJ!

I've had some good times in Co-op using this mod (I made a simple "defend your airport against 20+ rabid Axis messerschmitts"-mission and loving it so far) - any word on when we might see bombers (or variants of the current planes with bombs)?

Can't wait to setup some convoy or search & destroy missions :)

Keep up the fantastic work - looking forward to seeing more!

thanks for comments gimpfarfar.

Next release will have light and heavy bombers. Atleast 2 for Axis and not sure re Allied yet.

De Havilland Mosquito ... and Bristol Beaufighter of course for night fights [you can have a radar on it !]