Sign in to follow this  
jasonnoguchi

Anyone Here Using Programmable Keyboard for ArmA2?

Anyone using programmable gaming boards for playing ArmA2? If yes, which one are you using and what macros did you set up?

Yeah for sure... Logitech G15 Gamer.... if I could justify $400aus I get me one of dem G19s :)

I use some G keys to put messages in chat like our server TS3 address, game tips etc

Then the important ones are just zooming in and out, 1st to 3rd person view, iron sights, swap gunner, fire mode etc

Edited by 76

I also use G15, only macro I have is for TS info as well. It works well for repeating the same thing over and over (and over and over).

I try to set one up to auto-run, that didn't turn out so well.

I didn't see much use for any other types of macros... but the LCD could come in handy (load outs, GPS, compass, wish I knew how to do that stuff)

I also use the G15 Keyboard.

I use G1 for EJECT

G2 for Open personal gear menu

G3 for switch gunner

G4 for Teamspeak

G5 zoom in

G6 zoom out

I wouldn't recommend to use the actual G15 3.04 Software because it seems that it is not working correctly with Arma2, I already send an email to Logitech about that issue.

If I press G2 to open my personal gear menu, my character looks left.....G2 is programmed with POS1 key (opens the gear menu in game), so somehow the new software is mixing something up there.

G5 and G6 (zoom in / out) arent working as well, no reaction.

Eject, switch gunner and Team Speak is working properly.

I made a roll back to 3.03 and everything was just fine, so its definitely the actual GamePanel 3.04 Software.

I bought a Wolf King when I played arma 1 and had to re-learn how to play my other games (cod etc) but now it's vital - it has all the keys in one palm reach, perfect for arma2.

wolf_king.jpg

keymapping:

K - teamspeak voicechat

Q/E - lean / nose-up/down

W/S - move/ thrust (double tap each for auto hover on/off)

A/D - turn/ pedal left

Z/C bank right/left

X - crouch

C lie down // altC change channel

R - change firing mode/ weapon

F - step over

G - reload

T - task menu

O - optics

B - change view // altB tac view

<space> sprint/ turbo // dbl tap space = eject

, = map // alt, =GPS // ctrl, = quickmap

. = compass // alt. = watch

M = playerlist

H = salute

N = nightvision

-/+ zoom

Then with my MX518 mouse i have

thumb button 1: V (changed to freelook)

thumb 2: TAB (next target/ stand up)

front of wheel: backspace (keeps menu at bay)

This means I can play with all keys without looking down or stretching, and use freelook on mouse while steering chopper/plane with left hand, and there's room for my beer on the desk too!

Edited by eggbeast

0278935_398016.jpg

79.99 and one in stock 10 miles away... damn i hate being poor.

wow. these two look awesome but they would piss me off using them for anything else.

I have a G19 I think. I don't use macros because I have an abnormal key config.

I use the pgup/pgdown/home/delete keys for movement, the arrowleft and arrow right for leaning, backspace, backslash, enter, shift and right control for reloading, perform action, jumping (where it applies) and the keypad keys for zooming in and out and stances.

It's kinda weird but it makes sense.

The macro keys are on the other side of the keyboard so they don't help that much.

I have a new Belkin N52 which I'm still trying to get used to. It seems to be better than a normal keyboard, or at least it's better WITH a normal keyboard (hasn't fully replaced it).

belkin-n52te-speedpad-20071004023827889-000.jpg

G15 here, love it. Love it for the LCD screen with all my vital PC info but the macro keys are great.

Ive got G1 assigned to W= forwards. so for every game where W is move forward, I now have auto-run.

I havent reassigned the other G keys yet, ive just done a reinstall. I did have them as hold fire, open fire, go prone, stand up.

To set Auto-run just record the W keystroke down but not up.

@Nazul, oh, that's a nice idea indeed! :) Auto run! that's a feature that has been requested by the community before. Does ArmA2 support the LCD gamepanel? What info are displayed?

I'm using a G15. Don't have it programmed or macro'd especially for ArmA2. I'm just to lazy.

G15 here....

To set Auto-run just record the W keystroke down but not up.

hmm, that easy... thanks

ok, I am deciding between a wolf king or a G15... one for ergonomics, another for functions... which will you guys prefer?

@Nazul, oh, that's a nice idea indeed! :) Auto run! that's a feature that has been requested by the community before. Does ArmA2 support the LCD gamepanel? What info are displayed?

No Arma2 support for the LCD, i just have my pc temps on it.

Its too bad the G keys dont actually have a key value then instead of macros they could be bound for different functions.

I use the G15, in Arma2 I'm able to montior any teamspeak channels i'm on, so I can see who is talking while playing.

I have the 'throttle' of my joystick set to vehicles, so I can just press the + power and I have auto drive :)

another hint is set aircraft power to analog and your able to fly helo's at full speed at about 2m :)

Oh yeh Teamspeak and Ventrilo plugins for the G15 are great. Easy to see whos talking.

After comparing the G15, Belkin N52te and the Wolf King XXTreme, I have decided to get the Wolf King XXTreme as it has the number and F keys that Belkin N52te lacks (belkin looks good for single player fps where you don't give orders to squads) and has the ergonomics that the G15 lack. Everything key I need for ArmA2 right within my left palm's reach certainly makes a lot of sense to me as I currently look down on the keyboard whenever I need to open the map or choose units etc... looking away from the screen at the keyboard makes me lose track of my enemies as I am using Trackir as well. Can't wait... arriving in 2 days time. :)

Id have to try it, but i dont like the look of it. Its not suitable as a standard keyboard for typing stuff. No macro keys either, you wont be able to auto-run.

Rubber keys too, yuck, theyre very unresponsive.

lol, not trying to turn you off it , just my thoughts.

Yeah, after reading everyone's post, I figured that the macro is only good for auto-run and since my gaming rig is a dedicated gaming rig which I don't do any work on, the keyboard don't need to be configured for typing so the rearranged keyboard on the xxtreme should suffice. All in all, I decided that I want more ergonomics and convenience of use than auto-run, hence the decision to get the xxtreme over the G19 or G15. :)

I have the G15 v1 and i have set my keys as such:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/1800/82674650.jpg

This works really well for commanding a team.

Here's an example of one macro:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3892/53100862.jpg

I have found that these delay settings work well for me.

I got this idea of someone else, and only modified it for my own use.

But if anyone wants it the profile is available here:

http://www.filefront.com/user/Runibl

my wolf king has plastic hard keys, and has served me well for 2 years without a fault. I have a logitech cordless kb so i can pick it up and move it outta the way whe nim playing - on my right side - then turn and type on it if im teamchatting. otherwise i use teamspeak or VOIP and the wolfking and mouse controls keeping it all neat and tidy - HOWEVER two biggies - the wolf king does NOT have ENTER or BACKSPACE on it as it was designed for counterstrike etc.

So you occasionally need to press ENTER on your keyboard (but really not often) but mainly BACKSPACE is the problem - this seems to be hardwired into the arma config along with the number and F keys (and TAB to an extent). This is why I have BACKSPACE and TAB coded to my mousebuttons using logitech setpoint driver for the MX518. think about it - no easy backspace means "TOGGLE MANDO HUD ON" keeps popping up when youre flying etc and similar menu hud clutter from other mods, as well as accidental number keypresses bringing up menus you struggle to remove when youre manouvering. one quick press ofthe button in front of the mousewheel and menus disappear for me.

anyway - I'd avoid the wolfkingthat comes with a keyboard on the side - think about how far apart your arms would be - that would just suck ass.

G15 here, very fond of the Teamspeak plugins for the LCD.

Works like a charm and it's the only reason i bought it, i don't really use the macro keys for now.