Sign in to follow this  
wld427

Su-24 Fencer

The Mig-29/F-14 shaders have been toned down a lot, I'm still tweaking those, but the final result really is personal taste.

I'm striving for a sort of 'matt' metal finish rather than shiny.

In saying that the super shader is working well if you look at the model from the side with the sun in front of you it shines, with the sun behind like this screens above, it appears a matt finish.

You'll have to forgive my crappy screen shots.

**on a side note my main computer has died again (twice in two weeks) no data loss tho, but it will delay the release of the Mig29/F-14/F-15 and the Su-24**

The effect you're going for is probably pretty realistic. The planes do seem to have a rather rough finish although you can see some reflectivity in them. Their reflections are certainly not very tight.

The reflectivity is best seen up close when a lot of reflected light reaches the camera or when light is very strongly reflected from the surface of the aircraft.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs26/f/2009/245/f/1/Russian_Sukhoi_Su_24_by_cwaniak.jpg

http://content.foto.mail.ru/mail/padov/1650/s-3717.jpg

I do disagree though that it's a matter of taste. Art, of course, is purely a matter of taste. Here, depending on what your aim is, you're ostensibly trying to emulate real life phenomena that are measurable in quantitative and qualitative ways, within the bounds of the fidelity of the shader sim. If that is true then there is a 'closest possible' rendering. It's a matter of intent, then.

I have once again been entrusted to take some photos and deliver them to the community for wld427.

SU2010-06-1721-13-55-78.jpg

SU2010-06-1721-13-35-28.jpg

SU2010-06-1721-12-54-48.jpg

SU2010-06-1720-58-53-65.jpg

SU2010-06-1721-22-47-83.jpg

She'll be ready real soon.

Edited by Ballistic09

Nice.

Is it using the ArmA2 weapon proxy system or the old ArmA1 "hide & spawn" system?

Brilliant work and nice photo's. Will be a good addition to the CDF

Looks very good indeed;

one nitpick -> could you please consider toning down the white; so it compensates for the overdone glow? A tiny bit more of gray should do the trick I think ;)

Concur with Topas and Gnat. One more suggestion for a future update, how about including a Rondel system like on the AN-72 to make it even more versitile? That in my opinion would be a great for all aircraft.

I really had not made plans to make anything else but the CDF Su-24 maybee in the future i will reconsider.

I really only work on this when i get burned out on PRACS.

If anyone wants to work on it or add imrovements to it pleast PM me.

We can make this a community addon like the F-16

Edited by wld427

Is Projects RACS still in development for ArmA2 or are you sticking with ArmA for now? Anyway great work on the Su-24. I loved the F-16C you guys did, had the best quality cockpit out of all the F-16 addons I have tried.

*facepalm* It's for ArmA 2. The thread is (was) 2 below this one actually. Makes for some interesting reading...

Have been looking forward to this one, it looks great, to my mind the level of sheen looks very good. If I might make mention of the 'standard' naming for aircraft vapour trail emitters...

_wingtip_left = _plane SelectionPosition "cerveny pozicni";

_wingtip_right = _plane SelectionPosition "zeleny pozicni";

_body_left_start = _plane SelectionPosition "body_vapour_L_S";

_body_left_end = _plane SelectionPosition "body_vapour_L_E";

_body_right_start = _plane SelectionPosition "body_vapour_R_S";

_body_right_end = _plane SelectionPosition "body_vapour_R_E";

...to my mind it's best if addon planes come equipped with the points required for other mods to enable these across the board rather than embedding their own scripts for just that model.

Have been looking forward to this one, it looks great, to my mind the level of sheen looks very good. If I might make mention of the 'standard' naming for aircraft vapour trail emitters...

_wingtip_left = _plane SelectionPosition "cerveny pozicni";

_wingtip_right = _plane SelectionPosition "zeleny pozicni";

_body_left_start = _plane SelectionPosition "body_vapour_L_S";

_body_left_end = _plane SelectionPosition "body_vapour_L_E";

_body_right_start = _plane SelectionPosition "body_vapour_R_S";

_body_right_end = _plane SelectionPosition "body_vapour_R_E";

...to my mind it's best if addon planes come equipped with the points required for other mods to enable these across the board rather than embedding their own scripts for just that model.

The body emitters are no problem, what is /was causing a problem is the wingtip ones, I got round this on the f14 by putting the emitters at the leading edge of the rear elevators.

But at night the lights would be in the wrong place.

What we need a script that moves the emitters with the swing wing.

Adding thse points (can't remember if I actually did it) takes about 10 mins max.

But at night the lights would be in the wrong place.

What we need a script that moves the emitters with the swing wing.

Don't know about the lights but a vapour trail script that dealt with swing wings is of course possible, in the meantime suggest the point to use would be whatever is furthest out/back but still contained within both wing profiles. Probably the outside edge when swept, level with the trailing edge when spread, at least then it'd never look like it's emitting from thin air.

desperate to try this soon.... looks LOVELY

sorr to dig up an old thread but if anyone is interested in finishing this up get in touch

Whats left to do on it? I would not mind seeing this in game. Any new aircraft are always nice to see/use.