Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment - Public Beta *2*!

My mouse is broken, but ACE2 still provides plenty of laptop trackpad fun discovering the vastly important tweaks for vanilla vehicles. Hinds and BMPs actually using their missiles! Tanks no longer shooting down A-10s, etc.

I have also ended up with a list of questions.

How the heck do I use the sniper's rangefinder? It appears to be nothing but another pair of binoculars. Guessing ranges makes scope adjusting not very useful. Can I configure my spacebar to show ranges but not identify units?

What is the rangefinder on the Hind and how do I use it?

Shouldn't flares not fire automatically against heat-seeking MANPADs, as there is no radar lock?

What do the tags of the added AH-1 models mean?

everytime i turn around something else is missing:

The AI audio (voice) acknowledgements and responses to my orders are gone.

How do you guys keep up with this stuff ...?

:butbut:

Wow really? Check the userconfig/ACE/ace_clientside_config.hpp. It's on the top of the page.

And follow TimRiceSE's advice. Good idea there.

You'll have to try. AI might be able to be given action command via the 6 command menu.

i tired that but no luck, i dont get this whole rope thing, i got a rope tried sync to me with the fastrope mod and no luck, tried just sync to helo still no luck and i tried both human and helo and no luck, i suppose its good for MP but im a lone gamer so have no thing, dose that mean i have to miss out on some features?

* You do need one of the four rope magazines to drop a rope from a chopper (ACE_Rope_M_50, ACE_Rope_M_60, ACE_Rope_M_90, ACE_Rope_M_120). Each rope has different length. [Xeno]

oh wait what is the rope box for cause i was using the ropes from tht? its the same just the ammo crate for them, still cant figure it out i even add the helo to the group!

Edited by [=SFLR=]DK

what the hell happened to the Vector NITE rangefinder? It used to be a really useful tool but now all it does is point some stupid red dot at the enemy. Is this a bug or as destroying a perfectly good working tool intentional?

They are cycle weapons "F"

Not in my experience. Are you sure it works to have frags, smokes, and flashbangs? I picked up three and threw them in that order but could not select the latter.

Then again, grenades occasionally disappear from menus entirely when using ACE.

Is it possable to reduce the accacurety of the AI?

Cheers.

Joe.

Cheers.

Joe.

Reduce?!?

ACE already practically halves their accuracy from vanilla.

I've had street-level enemies expend multiple magazines trying to shoot me as I stood on a third-floor balcony. We can't pretend that they're all doped-up shepherds with guns.

Edit: And another question, what is the difference between the two AT4 versions?

Cheers.

Joe.

You sure your using ACE? AI dispersion already seems like it's set to max, unless AI is shooting rpg's at passing helos.

what the hell happened to the Vector NITE rangefinder? It used to be a really useful tool but now all it does is point some stupid red dot at the enemy. Is this a bug or as destroying a perfectly good working tool intentional?

It's there. Load the battery. Check the thread, it explains how to use it now. Also the ace_keys.hpp tells how, I think.

Do any of the default helicopters come with usual thermal vision or IR? The key-binding is Shift+T but this obviously conflicts with Team Switch, which comes up even if you have no one to switch to.

DK;1548254']i tired that but no luck' date=' i dont get this whole rope thing, i got a rope tried sync to me with the fastrope mod and no luck, tried just sync to helo still no luck and i tried both human and helo and no luck, i suppose its good for MP but im a lone gamer so have no thing, dose that mean i have to miss out on some features?

oh wait what is the rope box for cause i was using the ropes from tht? its the same just the ammo crate for them, still cant figure it out i even add the helo to the group![/quote']

I only play SP iand it works great. But instead of the module try the standalone version from norrin. The newest version let's you jump in tell the AI pilot where to go. Then he drops you off via ropes, goes back to base to refuel and then will come pick you up when needed. It's genius.

Make sure to check the last page. He posted a special example mission that's does this.

Hey guys i need references for a Recce vehicule in usmc or army that is equiped with a suiveilance mast like the Canadian LAVIII and Coyote for my suggestion; http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/8271#change-37724

I know it exist in the canadian army , i saw them but i never seen even pictures of US counterparts and since we use almost the same equipement , i cant believe americans don't have it.

Coyote_recce_1.jpg

Edited by Hbomber110
wrong link

I know it exist in the canadian army , i saw them but i never seen even pictures of US counterparts and since we use almost the same equipement , i cant believe americans don't have it.

Oh c'mon don't you know? Our necks can do that already. No need. ;)

I'll vote for it. I've never seen any pics I can think of either. Good luck.

EDIT:

That's not the right link for the suggestion.

After brief research , i found that USarmy uses M7 FiST Bradleys , but no deployable mast :(

And the USMC use unmounted infantry for there FO's with fire support system (FS3)

What ever comes out DEVs head i will be very pleased if they make the life of Forward observers in Arma 2 easier.

Because i think that theres not enough people online at the same time to have 1 guy doing CAS ground support and an other one doing fire missions for artillery. I usually do both at the same time. But due to the lack of map tools like Map plus 1.0 (i know its coming) im doing dangerous approximation on grid coordinates for indirect fire. And at night , carrying a Laser designator and a range finder(for bearings) makes me dependent on countless 40mm flares lol.

After brief research , i found that USarmy uses M7 FiST Bradleys , but no deployable mast :(

And the USMC use unmounted infantry for there FO's with fire support system (FS3)

What ever comes out DEVs head i will be very pleased if they make the life of Forward observers in Arma 2 easier.

Because i think that theres not enough people online at the same time to have 1 guy doing CAS ground support and an other one doing fire missions for artillery. I usually do both at the same time. But due to the lack of map tools like Map plus 1.0 (i know its coming) im doing dangerous approximation on grid coordinates for indirect fire. And at night , carrying a Laser designator and a range finder(for bearings) makes me dependent on countless 40mm flares lol.

Ooooh, did you check out this:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=93200

I've been playing around with it lately and it's well done. Adds a new depth to FO's. It fits nicely with the ACE2 lasers too.

EDIT:

Ooops sorry. I see you've been there. Good suggestion.

It's there. Load the battery. Check the thread, it explains how to use it now. Also the ace_keys.hpp tells how, I think.

I've picked up both the rangefinder and the laser marker with their proper batteries, but neither the action button, nor the R or any ACE buttons makes it work. Where is that explanation?

And I should mention that I have yet to be able to switch to a special grenade via F and the USP SD pistol has no texture with the latest update.

Do any ACE team members read this thread to answer gameplay questions? Because as far as I can tell the wiki doesn't describe the features in any detail. Balaclava "requires some gameconfig setup." Gee, thanks.

I've picked up both the rangefinder and the laser marker with their proper batteries, but neither the action button, nor the R or any ACE buttons makes it work. Where is that explanation?

And I should mention that I have yet to be able to switch to a special grenade via F and the USP SD pistol has no texture with the latest update.

Do any ACE team members read this thread to answer gameplay questions? Because as far as I can tell the wiki doesn't describe the features in any detail. Balaclava "requires some gameconfig setup." Gee, thanks.

It works just fine. I have it integrated in my mission in the User Missions section.

The explanation is in this forum about 20 times and the ace_keys.hpp:

class ace_sys_rangefinder
{
	class Toggle_Power
	{
		[u][i][b]key = 19;  	// R, Toggle Power to Rangefinding Devices[/b][/i][/u]
		shift = 0;
		ctrl = 0;
		alt = 0;
	};
	class Cycle_Mils
	{
		[b][i][u][b]key = 19;  	// R, Cycle between Mils for Azimuth (and Elevation)[/b][/u][/i][/b]
		shift = 0;
		ctrl = 0;
		alt = 1;
	};
	class Preload_Battery
	{
		[i][u][b]key = 19;  	// R, Load battery or replace existing battery[/b][/u][/i]
		shift = 1;
		ctrl = 1;
		alt = 1;
		always=1; // Perform function even if device is not selected
	};
};

Did you transfer the updated .hpp's from @ACE/userconfig to userconfig/ACE folder? Those need to be checked everytime there is an update, it doesn't update the .hpp's instead puts them in there.

As far as the devs checking this thread, yes they do. But they don't look for bugs and other gameplay problems and posts. It would be pointless, this thread moves way to fast and way to many people ask the same questions over and over again when the answer already exists in the thread.

The devs set up a bug tracking system for ACE2 and yes they look/respond religiously. How do you think the updates happen? As far as other questions, yes the BIKI isn't that great yet but just about everything has been discussed/explained here countless times again and again. The "search this thread" function brings up anything I've ever needed to know about basic features and such.

I suggest you check the first post for the bug tracker and bring up any problems you see there. Most likely it's up there though. The community keeps that thing chugging and the devs sure do an amazing job responding.

All this has been mentioned over and over again in this thread already as well.

EDIT:

And from the ACE2 BIKI:

Rangefinding Devices

Vector 21

Vector 21B Nite / Rangefinder

- Range

- Azimuth

- Uses 2CR5 Battery

SOFLAM

GLTDII SOFLAM / Laser Designator

- Range

- Azimuth

- Elevation

- Battery, Overheat, Multiple Laser Targets

- Uses BA5590 Battery

Operation

Toggle Power using the R key, before trying to fire the laser.

Cycle between Mils settings for Azimuth (and Elevation) using Alt + R

Preload battery without having device selected using Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R

That's an ample explanation, the rest and more detailed is in the thread a bunch of times.

The balaclava set up is explained in detail in this thread and the first beta thread. I explained a few times and so did others. So regardless of anyone from ACE2 being here, there's an entire thread full of detailed explanations. And then the detailed explanation again, and again, and again.

Edited by Manzilla

to use the range finder, select it as your weapon, hit r, "fire" it.

*snip*

Thanks. The gameconfigs are likely the culprit like you said, although in that case I am at a loss as to why each update changes my client-side HUD settings.

The instructions for the rangefinder are indeed on the wiki, but wiki sites can be notorious mazes because most don't have site maps or user-friendly search terms. This one is connected to official BI content and the only useful article I have located thus far is the Features article, which occasionally has instructions but *no hyperlinks,* suggesting that no further information exists.

And I highly doubt that "this thread" is where the devs intend us to go to find answers. If the devs can't keep up with it, how are we supposed to sift through 2100 posts for each solution which may but probably does not exist? Many of the questions are extremely basic, and would be answered by a readme, which every mod and program I've ever used has. I don't care how long the .txt file would be.

Hi all, sorry if this has come up in this thread already, unfortunately I haven't got the time to read all 120+ pages and a search revealed nowt. Installed yesterday onto a fresh install of the whole game plus 1.05. Everything is working a treat, apart from the chat between squad members which I am not hearing anymore, ie, can't hear the orders I give or radio requests etc...

Anybody else have this issue?

Apart from that minor problem, this mod is exactly whay I expected- Awesome. Thankyou ACE team!

Hi all, sorry if this has come up in this thread already, unfortunately I haven't got the time to read all 120+ pages and a search revealed nowt. Installed yesterday onto a fresh install of the whole game plus 1.05. Everything is working a treat, apart from the chat between squad members which I am not hearing anymore, ie, can't hear the orders I give or radio requests etc...

Anybody else have this issue?

Apart from that minor problem, this mod is exactly whay I expected- Awesome. Thankyou ACE team!

The search this function command would've given you an answer in 5 seconds, no waiting for me. ;)

Just go to usersonfig/ACE/ace_clientside_config.hpp;

/*//////////////////////////////////////////////
CONFIG SETTING FOR : ACE 2 MOD - NO VOICE, NO RADIO CHATTER
--------------------
FEATURES: Disables AI radio chatter as well as player radio chatter
---------
TO ENABLE: Remove the "//" in front of the #define to enable the NO VOICE, NO RADIO CHATTER feature. To disable, think vice versa.
----------
//////////////////////////////////////////////*/

#define ACE_NOVOICE

Just add "//"(no "" of course) in front of:

#define ACE_NOVOICE

like this:

//#define ACE_NOVOICE

Good luck, enjoy and welcome!

Also, read my instructions above about moving the .hpp's after every update. Those files need to be updated from the ones' that DL to the @ACE/userconfig folder after every update.

Edited by Manzilla

Hello all, is there a way to get back the small crosshairs in my helo's, such as the apache? it is hard to aim without them, thank you.

Yes do this,

Go here or your equiv.

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\userconfig\ACE\ace_clientside_config.hpp

Once there find this:

CONFIG SETTING FOR : ACE 2 MOD - CROSSHAIRS

--------------------

FEATURES: Disables/Reduces crosshairs

---------

Possible selections as documented in ACE2 Wiki

#define ACE_NOCROSS

Once you find that section make it this:

CONFIG SETTING FOR : ACE 2 MOD - CROSSHAIRS

--------------------

FEATURES: Disables/Reduces crosshairs

---------

Possible selections as documented in ACE2 Wiki

//#define ACE_NOCROSS

Notice the two // marks before the above term now. Your crossairs will now be back.

---------- Post added at 04:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 AM ----------

@Manzilla,

I am currious, where the heck is the search function located???

Thanks,

Mike.