Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment - Public Beta *2*!

Hi there,

I have a linux ded server and I would like to force all clients connecting to have the same version of ace installed. Is verifySignatures sufficient for this?

There is another problem. The linux update script does not erase old ace keys(I will fix this soon). Does this mean clients with older ace versions will still be able to connect and play (and maybe crash server) ?

On the wiki page under server features I am confused between parameters check_pbos and check_all_ace_pbos. Having two variables for this seems redundant. Please explain.

Finally, this is more of an MP config issue, but will the following line work to globally disable stamina effects if added to the server config?

onUserConnected = "ACE_NoStaminaEffects = True; publicVariable ""ACE_NoStaminaEffects""" ;

Firstly I am uncertain whether the publicVariable command would be successful in this context. Secondly, if this does work, is it executed before the init.sqf i.e. could the init.sqf override to reenable stamina effects?

Did you update the updater recently? I had the same problem until I updated. Although now I have to start the DL through the web, I can't select 1 or 2(and so on) anymore.
@Manzilla, guess sickboy broke the updater in the latest update huh? Well, I guess I have to DL through the web as well... hope sickboy get this bad boy working again. :)

I believe there is a shortcut in the Start > SIX > Six Updater Suite called "Six Updater - Console" which has the same function as pressing 2 on early versions.

is there a way to activate the IR stobe for AI group members in game? or something to go in the init line?

Finally, this is more of an MP config issue, but will the following line work to globally disable stamina effects if added to the server config?

onUserConnected = "ACE_NoStaminaEffects = True; publicVariable ""ACE_NoStaminaEffects""" ;

Why not just add ACE_NoStaminaEffects = True; to your init.sqf?

Why not just add ACE_NoStaminaEffects = True; to your init.sqf?

every mission would have to be edited that way...

remember, no stamina = no backpacks/rucks. :nener:

-Ziggy-;1544189']every mission would have to be edited that way...

remember' date=' no stamina = no backpacks/rucks. :nener:[/quote']

As an extension of this idea - fatigue should be disabled UNLESS you're wearing a ruck. IMO (and I know everyone has one ;)) the fatigue system is by far the most contentious and restrictive part of ACE. Personally I'd just like to play the game thanks, so I always disable it. However, the above description would allow for more gameplay variance.

To summarise - fatigue should be disabled by default. But wearing a ruck should implement it, subject to weight variance. Also have the option to enable it under all conditions, serverside, for the realism players out there. I think that's a reasonable central line to walk :)

I read this in the ACE feature list...

"Flashlights

Tactical flashlights can be attached to some small-arms."

How do you attach flashlights to pistols or can it be done?

-Ziggy-;1544189']every mission would have to be edited that way...

Ahh i get it' date=' he want server to disable stamina system rather than the mission :)

-Ziggy-;1544189']

remember, no stamina = no backpacks/rucks. :nener:

About that.... weird it's like saying "if you don't wanna use our stamina system you can't use our rucksacks" :butbut:

But i don't care i like the stamina system but still weird :p

Ahh i get it, he want server to disable stamina system rather than the mission :)

About that.... weird it's like saying "if you don't wanna use our stamina system you can't use our rucksacks" :butbut:

But i don't care i like the stamina system but still weird :p

No doubt, it is. Good thing I like the Stamina System!

I like the stamina system as well, forces the player to play differently than normal. However, for my first SP mission I released it created a delimma. The mission takes the player across a mountain range into enemy territory to locate and rescue hostages. Naturally, they'll need rucks because there is no resupply and they have a long way to go (close to three kilometers) with enemy camps, patrols, and snipers along the way. I originally wanted to disable no stamina because its almost guaranteed the player will get tired after all of the fighting and running around hills. While I only started to black out once while testing my mission, I felt for other players who didn't already know every exact enemy location like me would most likely run into this situation a few times while playing. But alas, I determined having rucks and tons of ammo was a key to surviving this mission.

To summarise - fatigue should be disabled by default. But wearing a ruck should implement it, subject to weight variance. Also have the option to enable it under all conditions, serverside, for the realism players out there. I think that's a reasonable central line to walk :)

+1

Particularly since it appears that the AI are not affected, or at least not to the same extent as human players. This basically makes the stamina feature specific to PvP or maybe large scale co-op. But, in SP (or small scale coop v. AI), it puts the player(s) in a significant gameplay disadvantage.

+1

Particularly since it appears that the AI are not affected, or at least not to the same extent as human players. This basically makes the stamina feature specific to PvP or maybe large scale co-op. But, in SP (or small scale coop v. AI), it puts the player(s) in a significant gameplay disadvantage.

It is a disadvantage for SP players. I do like it though. For SP players like myself, I have to accept that disadvantage so I can use the rucks. They work beautifully for my missions and I need them as part of it.

That said I'm not sure why the devs feel the need to punish other SP players that don't want the disadvantage. MP I understand, but for SP it's nuts to disable the rucks if people don't like the stamina deal.

I like the stamina system as well, forces the player to play differently than normal. However, for my first SP mission I released it created a delimma. The mission takes the player across a mountain range into enemy territory to locate and rescue hostages. Naturally, they'll need rucks because there is no resupply and they have a long way to go (close to three kilometers) with enemy camps, patrols, and snipers along the way. I originally wanted to disable no stamina because its almost guaranteed the player will get tired after all of the fighting and running around hills. While I only started to black out once while testing my mission, I felt for other players who didn't already know every exact enemy location like me would most likely run into this situation a few times while playing. But alas, I determined having rucks and tons of ammo was a key to surviving this mission.

I think maybe a more useful implementation would be to simply reduce the speed of each unit subject to weight. Then have the fatigue passing-out thing as a serverside enablement as an additional option for realism. But certainly disable it by default IMO.

Well... It isn't that much of a punishment, as it is pretty easy to create a mission without it. And, I *really* like the idea of it. It is an additional (realistic) layer of tactics to deal with.

I think one of the remaining sore spots in A2 is the logistics (that the stamina issue helps illustrate). There's no real simulation of that, whereas it is one of the most important parts of the modern battlefield.

I just think the implementation needs to grow/improve a bit before it is made a standard/default feature.

While we're on the topic - I think there should be an automatic adrenalin injection. :D I think it would be easy enough (<--- famous last words) to determine if the person knows about any enemies within ~100m. If so, kick in some adrenalin. Just an idea.

I just think the implementation needs to grow/improve a bit before it is made a standard/default feature.

Hmm yeah this :) I know ACE2 is still in beta, and as such all features are beta, but I think *some* things can be beta-within-beta, to be enabled separately. I think fatigue, as a hotly debated feature, should come into this category. Maybe :)

@Grunt, Looks like I will have to switch to your solution then. :) Bye Six-updater, Hello Addon Sync 2009.

@jasonnoguchi. I use both of them. ACE and CBA with Addon sync 2009 and other addons like JTD or GL4 with six-updater. I think it's better use both cause not all addons are in only one of them...

Well... It isn't that much of a punishment, as it is pretty easy to create a mission without it. And, I *really* like the idea of it. It is an additional (realistic) layer of tactics to deal with.

I think one of the remaining sore spots in A2 is the logistics (that the stamina issue helps illustrate). There's no real simulation of that, whereas it is one of the most important parts of the modern battlefield.

While we're on the topic - I think there should be an automatic adrenalin injection. :D I think it would be easy enough (<--- famous last words) to determine if the person knows about any enemies within ~100m. If so, kick in some adrenalin. Just an idea.

Wait, I can make a mission that includes rucks but doesn't use stamina? I must be confused why people are discussing that then.

I stikll don't see how the stamina effecting only the player in an SP mission is not a disadvantage to most people.(I personally like it though) Not to mention it's not at all real to have something effect only the player when everyone else is not effected(AI). Again, I don't mind it though. Just can't figure out why it's not a complete disadvantage when playing SP.

Edited by Manzilla

Well... I may be speaking out of turn, but it seem like if you used the init line method to disable stamina, then rucks wouldn't be affected? Also, I haven't deconstructed the ACE stuff, but it may also be as simple as a game logic or something that monitors the variables for the stamina and "adjusts" it/them.

As I read recently someplace, "All things are possible." :)

I have brought up a server-side switch for stamina among the devs - just to let you know that has been discussed. The jury is still out, so can't say more about that.

But to the heart of the stamina issue. Mission designs that use ACE and then expect you to hump heaps of ammo all over God's Green Acre. I'd like to remind the mission designers that ACE includes a large number of vehicles, most capable of carrying extra items for you. :butbut:

IRL you'd only carry a full pack when going on a march where you'd not expect contact. You might ferry extra equipment (and walk ), but when near the fighting you'd drop off most gear in favor of a combat loadout. Heavy weapons are split up among multiple people. Any time you can get a lift a soldier will take that opportunity.

Ahhhh, I never knew about that. I guess being gone and not playing for a while will do that. :)

Very true evil echo. That's exactly why I put them in most missions.

Edited by Manzilla

Oh, indeed. I don't think there's an credible argument that a stamina system is not realistic. The only real issue in my mind is the gameplay. There are certain limitations (mostly AI-related) that require un-realistic gameplay from the player.

It isn't like you can tell your entire AI squad to load up the humvee with whatever choice of weapons you want from the ammo boxes. :D IRL, "Lads - grab the Stingers and the Javelins, a bunch of 203 HE, a few HuntIR modules and rounds, and... for grins how about a couple DMRs and a Barrett .50, load them in a Humvee, and meet me at the front gate." It'd be done in a couple minutes, and one of them could even drive to the front line. :)

Another derailing by the stamina debate team. Can anyone actually answer any of my questions instead of debating?

I have a linux ded server and I would like to force all clients connecting to have the same version of ace installed. Is verifySignatures sufficient for this?

There is another problem. The linux update script does not erase old ace keys(I will fix this soon). Does this mean clients with older ace versions will still be able to connect and play (and maybe crash server) ?

On the wiki page under server features I am confused between parameters check_pbos and check_all_ace_pbos. Having two variables for this seems redundant. Please explain.

Firstly I am uncertain whether the publicVariable command would be successful in this context. Secondly, if this does work, is it executed before the init.sqf i.e. could the init.sqf override to reenable stamina effects?

Where on the ACE WIki does it state stamina == rucks? Can't find it.

Another derailing by the stamina debate team. Can anyone actually answer any of my questions instead of debating?

Where on the ACE WIki does it state stamina == rucks? Can't find it.

Debating such topics is why this thread is here, it is not derailing. As far as I can tell only one person has insinuated that disabling stamina disables rucks, so I guess not many people know whether it does or not. But, it cannot be too difficult to find out can it? :)

Hey,

What pbo is adding the G-Forces to aircraft ? I want to disable it since it's completely unplayable with the TDF's Su25. I imagine the pilot isn't considered as one because it goes black and red for any maneuvers.

Thanks.

Oh, indeed. I don't think there's an credible argument that a stamina system is not realistic. The only real issue in my mind is the gameplay. There are certain limitations (mostly AI-related) that require un-realistic gameplay from the player.

It isn't like you can tell your entire AI squad to load up the humvee with whatever choice of weapons you want from the ammo boxes. :D IRL, "Lads - grab the Stingers and the Javelins, a bunch of 203 HE, a few HuntIR modules and rounds, and... for grins how about a couple DMRs and a Barrett .50, load them in a Humvee, and meet me at the front gate." It'd be done in a couple minutes, and one of them could even drive to the front line. :)

Now THAT idea I could go for. Better interaction with the AI, selecting gear, and loading your ride for you. sys_quartermaster anyone?