Sign in to follow this  
wasserkool

Why are there fans in russian helicopters - isnt that distracting?

I thought the developers added those USB powered fans in the cockpit for fun/laugh until I was watching the news and actually saw the SAME mini fans in real Mi-8 rescue helos...

Does anyone know why the manufacturer would add fans to the front of the cockpit? Wouldn/t that be distracting?

To cool down the pilots? I guess it gets hot in a helicopter with engines around you and guns firing, and missiles firing. Newer models and more technologically advanced choppers will probably have air conditioning.

air conditioning uses much more energy and weight much more than small ventilator

if west vehicles lack of ventilators than west pilots had worse condition of work , i believe it is good to have fan in vehicle when there might be hot

what is weight of air-conditioning system ? is it not better to carry 2 rifles more ?

Edited by vilas

Those fans are the pragmatic + working way of air cooling. Russians are pragmatic and probably dont like hitech that doesnt work like those simple and cheap venti fans. ;)

true.

in war there is best to use simple things that take heat, water and dirt without going down. also they are easy to repair... try to fix AC unit on field... if you have done some repairing on civilian vehicles A/C systems you know what I'm writing here. high pressures, takes right/rare tools, cooling liquid must be pure, lubrication solvents must be injected right amounts, UV water shit and it takes right computer systems and pressurizers to get those things working.

Really weird design choice. Why make a small cockpit fan when all you need to do is have a sun roof and take advantage of the much bigger fan right over your head...

:D

sun roof means worse visibility

also sun roof not help when you are on direct sun explosure

choper is not car

??

Sarcasm lost in translation :D

I believe there are directed air vents for US aircraft. Can anyone confirm?

Someone once said that this little fan mimics the main rotor, so the pilot know whats going on with it.

But is just a air cooler?

I thought choppers have windows that can be opened which can cool the pilots? Also, those fans seems really tiny are they really that effective? What type of cooling system do western helos use in real life?

Those fans are the pragmatic + working way of air cooling. Russians are pragmatic and probably dont like hitech that doesnt work like those simple and cheap venti fans. ;)

Very true.

The Russian Army (or AirForce) is also very low on cash, and so every unit tries to make the most out of what's available, to make life easier.

In reality, there's almost no vehicle - be it ground, air, or sea - that looks the same in Russia.

Very true.

The Russian Army (or AirForce) is also very low on cash, and so every unit tries to make the most out of what's available, to make life easier.

In reality, there's almost no vehicle - be it ground, air, or sea - that looks the same in Russia.

This is just the russian way of doing things I believe... It's the same story with the space pen myth (I think it's a myth anyways):

When the americans reached space in the 60's, the astronauts realized that their pens wouldn't work in low gravity. The american government supposedly then spent millions of dollars to develop a pen that could write upside down, or in zero G. After the fall of the wall, when the american astronauts met the russan cosmonauts in Mir, they showed their pens to the much impressed russians. The russians then showed their way of writing in space: a pencil. :D

That's probably not true, but it shows the russian mentality of not messing with things that are already proven to work just because they're outdated. :p

Cheers

This is just the russian way of doing things I believe... It's the same story with the space pen myth (I think it's a myth anyways):

When the americans reached space in the 60's, the astronauts realized that their pens wouldn't work in low gravity. The american government supposedly then spent millions of dollars to develop a pen that could write upside down, or in zero G. After the fall of the wall, when the american astronauts met the russan cosmonauts in Mir, they showed their pens to the much impressed russians. The russians then showed their way of writing in space: a pencil. :D

That's probably not true, but it shows the russian mentality of not messing with things that are already proven to work just because they're outdated. :p

Cheers

Haha, that's great and probably true. America (the government at least) leans too much on the intellectuals who tend to over think and complicate things. Focus too hard on the literal question and miss the simple solution to the greater question. Instead of asking what do we write with they focused on how do we make pens work.

When a helicopter is not moving with high speed (being in a hover or standing on the ground) it gets extremely hot in the cockpit, when the sun is burning. Modern and high sophisticated helicopters have an air conditioning system, but when there is no such system, then you can be happy to have such fans.

One thing I don't get is that helicopter addons that have such a fan actually have an action to turn the fan on and off. That's just ridiculous. Why not a rear window heater and windshield wipers for the cars out there, geez...

One thing I don't get is that helicopter addons that have such a fan actually have an action to turn the fan on and off. That's just ridiculous. Why not a rear window heater and windshield wipers for the cars out there, geez...

Because some geeks like to turn senseless things on and off and on again, and this will make them happy for a whole day? Me, for example :)

like the buzzer, back in arma days (where the buzzer gots synced via multiplayer) me and a friend uses the buzzer very often while driving supply convois to the front :)

Russian gear is simpler made - but easier to fix and can take more beatings. This should be common knowlege. :)

You'll be pleased to hear I've been working on a new mod. russianaircon.jpg

Those small fans just play havoc with your hair.

You'll be pleased to hear I've been working on a new mod. http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7623/russianaircon.jpg

Nice solution for getting fresh air but you should really disable the gunners fire button because the second he fires those unguided missiles he blows his AC units and his chopper of the sky :)

You'll be pleased to hear I've been working on a new mod. russianaircon.jpg

lol ok your pic beats my pic 10,000 times over