Sign in to follow this  
Rexxenexx

Sometimes freezes with grey screen on exit [Build 60000-also prev. Builds] Repeatable

People who have this problem, what are you using?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. People who have this problem, what are you using?

• Windows 7 + Nvidia card with 191.07 drivers
    • Windows 7 + Nvidia card with pre 191.07 drivers
    • Other Windows OS + Nvidia card with 191.07 drivers
    • Other Windows OS + Nvidia card with pre 191.07 drivers
    • I am not using an Nvidia based videocard

Voted "Other Windows OS + Nvidia card with 191.07 drivers", but I also had the problem in earlier beta patches using older gfx drivers.

Have never experienced this since running ARMA 2. I also never run FRAPS. WinXP32 - Nvidia 191.07.

I actually get this when im in windowed mode and click outside the window to read a text file etc. Happens very often.

Win7 32bit - Nvidia 191.07.

Good post, I experience it occasionally as well. I thought I was imagining things!

* AMD Phenomx4

* 4gigs of ram

* WinXP 32b

* Nvidia 285

I run 'PlayClaw (FPS measure and TS overlay) and 'TeamSpeak' quite frequently alongside Arma2.

My gut feeling is that it happens when I've played around a lot with the editor, alt-tabbed in and out a lot, then gone and joined a MP game.

- k

I usually use ALT-F4 to quickly exit the game, windowed or full. Never seen this though.

I get the gray screen bug sometimes. i dont think i am using the beta though. I have an i7 920 OC'ed to 3.78ghz, ATi 5850, and Windows 7 Ultimate w. 6 gigs ram.:)

This kind of behavior has been with me since 1.04 and later betas. It was not present in 1.03 for me.

I experienced it as early as 59025, which was a 1.03 beta I believe.

WinXp(32) Nvidia GTX 285, 9107 drivers.

Start Arma2, immediately exit as soon as you can.

=> 1 out of 3 times hang.

Ok, I did run into this problem, but only after repeatedly alt-tabbing out of the game/editor to view some internet pages. Doesn't seem to happen if I just load it up and play and quit.

This happens to me occasionally, like someone wrote in here it seems to happen when I leave the game to quickly.

My specs:

Win 7 64 Bit

Quadcore Q9550 E0 @ 3,77 GHz

6GB OCZ 1066Mhz RAM

Nvidia GTX275 869 MB Ram

latest drivers, problem began with the 191.07s and with one of the second or third last beta builds

This happens to me too. Last time right after playing in the multiplayer.

My specs:

Win 7 64 bits

Phenom II 940 @ 3.7 Ghz

4 GB DDRII 1066 mhz

ATI 4890 1024 MB

Can someone please test the following repro steps:

1. Launch Arma2 without the -world=x parameter. (i.e. make sure the game loads up with the standard aircraft carrier background)

2. Go into the editor with Chernarus as the map.

3. As soon as the editor is loaded, exit again.

4. When you have returned to the main screen, exit the game as quickly as possible.

Edited by MadDogX

I start Arma 2 without the -world parameter and it doesnt work with that either.

besides....the problem occures after several hours of MP gaming, cant say anything about SP gaming because I spend way less time in SP.

I get the grey screen from time to time as well with WinXP Pro 32bit SP3, 2GB DDR2 RAM, and an ATI 4850 1GB, 9.11 WHQL drivers.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

A little update here. I tried MadDogXs repro steps on the last page, and it works practically half the time.

Out of ten attempts it looked as follows:

1: Nothing

2: Nothing

3: Nothing

4: Black screen (same as grey screen but in black colour)

5: Grey screen

6: Nothing

7: Nothing

8: Nothing

9: Grey screen

10: Black screen (same as grey screen but in black colour)

Every single time I get the grey/black screen the game is stuck at using about 230-240MB of RAM.

Edited by Inkompetent

4. When you have returned to the main screen, exit the game as quickly as possible.

As quickly as possible meaning press alt-f4 which causes the game to shutdown gracefully? (there since OFP, wont corrupt profiles)

Or via the Exit button?

I tried this a bunch of times (using the long exit button way) and I couldn't get it to happen. I did once see a gray screen for 500ms but it exited normally.

If anyone gets this that knows their way around development(has visual studio etc), i think it might help if when you got the 'stuck' gray screen, debug the process and get the call stack while its stuck. Then put that in a CIT ticket for BIS to look at. If you load the debug symbols for that build, that may help to identify more useful info too.

I just got this last night. But i didnt play any lan MP. But rather was testing with AA.

Here's how it happened:

1. I disable AA ingame

2. exit the game just fine,

3. edit the ATI AA settings, so that 'maybe' I can use CCC AA instead of ingame AA

4. Run the game again

5. go to the editor, preview and noticed no difference, set ingame AA to hight, but noticed no differences also, so I thought maybe need to restart the game for it to have an effect.

6. So I exit the game, grey screen and wait for an eternity. had to CTRL+ALT+Delete, taskmanager and manually end ARMA2 task

Maybe had something with ATI CCC or ingame AA. but thats how I got it,- start the game with ingame AA disabled, edit ingame AA higher (low, normal, high), exit = grey screen

I tried this a bunch of times (using the long exit button way) and I couldn't get it to happen. I did once see a gray screen for 500ms but it exited normally.

Yeah, I tested this a few times myself but couldn't reproduce the grey screen consistently. Though I am pretty sure I never got the grey screen when I waited for a few secs in the main screen before I shut down the game. There must be some other factor.

Maybe Mr. Centipedes theory will work...

I recently had multiple grey screens upon exit from MP with beta 60899, but this definitely had nothing to do with AA, as I never enable it.

Specs:

GTX295

Nvidia 191.07

WinXP 32Bit

Seems to me game will exit fine if I wait for the exit button tooltip ("This will exit the game" or something thereabouts) to show up. If I press exit before this, it has a tendency to hang in a grey screen. Windowed mode.