Sign in to follow this  
kavoven

Stargate Universe [SG:U]

Since Rush is my favorite character I'm happy that he's back, but a more spectacular return would have been nice :)

Still this episode was really good and there was a fair amount of trailer scenes in it. I didn't expect that :)

very good episode, i like the characters darkness, a great new feature finally in the SG world

holy blue aliens batman... A little underwhelmed by Destiny's "main weapon" seems like a whole lot of gun for not much bang...

Also if you think about it, at the end of one of the earlier episode there is a ship that leaves the Destiny that looks a lot like one of the alien fighter/transports. Perhaps they put a tracking beacon on it.

Holy shit... I just checked out that scene again (at the end of episode 3) and you're absolutely right - it is one of the alien ships :eek:! There can be no doubt - the designs are 100% identical. So I guess that proves it: the aliens have been tracking Destiny for a while.

Now the question is: why weren't they able to take it over in the first place?

Holy shit... I just checked out that scene again (at the end of episode 3) and you're absolutely right - it is one of the alien ships :eek:! There can be no doubt - the designs are 100% identical. So I guess that proves it: the aliens have been tracking Destiny for a while.

Now the question is: why weren't they able to take it over in the first place?

'Cause they don't have the ancient gene to operate the ship. I think that's also why they kidnapped Rush and what'sherface, to learn how to use the ancient gene.

'Cause they don't have the ancient gene to operate the ship. I think that's also why they kidnapped Rush and what'sherface, to learn how to use the ancient gene.

That was my first thought too, but I remember Rush saying something about Destiny being so old that it doesn't have the ancient gene requirement to operate it. Just did a quick Google search and found the Ancient Gene page on the Stargate wiki. Scroll down to the "Trivia" section and you'll see it.

According to Dr. Nicholas Rush the Ancient starship Destiny predates the necessity of the ATA Gene. (SGU: "Darkness")

So it must be something else.

Perhaps they're simply lacking the knowledge of how to read ancient. On the other hand that doesn't explain how rush activated the alien ship that fast. I read in the internet that there won't be any other clarifications how he did that

Edit

Source:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2010/04/06/april-6-2010-sgu-production-update/

Kymm writes: “I must be missing something, so I am going to ask a stupid question (be kind) – since the alien ship can track Destiny through hyper space (they were attached to the ship in Air and have located them again in Space). We have found out that the aliens want the ship. Why did they not just take it before the Earth people boarded it?â€

Answer: We don’t know for sure, but it would seem they haven’t been able to board Destiny (although the pod that flew away at the end of Air III would seem to indicate they’ve been keeping tabs on the ship for some time now). As I mentioned in yesterday’s mailbag, prior to our coming aboard, all of the ship’s energy was used for its automated defenses – and, specifically, ensuring the ship’s shield remains strong and impenetrable. Since we came aboard, however, the ship’s power has been diverted to other areas like life support and weapons, diverting power away from the shields, weakening them, and making them more vulnerable in certain areas (which is what we saw happen in Space).

Kymm also writes: “OR when they caught them in Space episode why didn’t the small ships all clamp on and have boarding parties take over the ship.â€

Answer: That may well have been the plan. Or, maybe, they had another as-yet-to-be-revealed plan in the works.

Can't we agree on leaving the spoiler tags ? =)

Edited by kavoven

New episode! I liked this one quite a bit.

...though it doesn't quite feel like Stargate anymore...what, without the use of the, uhm, Stargates. Ever.

I do like the way that the power struggle is now taking place in a more confrontational manner. Enough of this petty political crap. I wonder if Young will do anything against the leaders of the mutiny.

Abs

New episode! I liked this one quite a bit.

...though it doesn't quite feel like Stargate anymore...what, without the use of the, uhm, Stargates. Ever.

I do like the way that the power struggle is now taking place in a more confrontational manner. Enough of this petty political crap. I wonder if Young will do anything against the leaders of the mutiny.

Abs

I thought it was good too.

Spoiler if you haven't seen the preview/ad for the next episode:

It seems that in the next episode they use the Gate. I suppose the shuttle might be involved instead but I thought they were on a planet of some kind and that might mean the gate.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary that they use the gate in every single episode, or even in the majority of episodes. We're way beyond the time when the gate itself was the really interesting thing - that was perhaps the first two or three seasons of SG-1. If they still insisted on keeping the focus on the gate now, more than ten years later, it would just get gimmicky. The show is evolving, which is not a bad thing. ;)

As for the latest episode, I thought it was a step in the right direction. They've definitely picked up the pace of the show and started mixing the drama with more action, which seems to work quite well. I just hope they manage to keep it this interesting.

I actually read somewhere that the second season is already confirmed, so we've got at least another 1.5 years of Stargate ahead of us. Yay! :D

Good episode and I'm interested in the next one. Though I expected the civilians to show more resistance. Since I'm always siding with Rush I really hope Young will be taken out of command.

Rush started it all the problems. He's a jerk. :p I bet if you were on the ship he'd put you in the chair.

Abs

Rush started it all the problems. He's a jerk.

Have to agree.

Science needs to be done and all, but theres no need to be an asshat about it.

Rush isn't just the source of the problems, he's the reason they're even there. He's the one who stopped the dial process to Earth when they were evacuating Icarus base, and dialled the 9th chevron address instead. It was basically his obsession that got everyone stranded. It's also pretty clear that he doesn't want to go back to Earth, so he's not even trying to find a way. Destiny is his baby, there's nothing for him to do back home.

Edited by MadDogX

First - all expeditions need sacrifices. You won't progress without.

Second - Like Rush said, dialing Earth might have caused damage on Earth with the explosion of the whole Planet going through. Plus they would have lost all the progress they made with the 9th chevron. People don't want to be on the expedition? Fine, don't join the Stargate Center. I mean, the whole point of it IS exploring new worlds!

First - all expeditions need sacrifices. You won't progress without.

Second - Like Rush said, dialing Earth might have caused damage on Earth with the explosion of the whole Planet going through. Plus they would have lost all the progress they made with the 9th chevron. People don't want to be on the expedition? Fine, don't join the Stargate Center. I mean, the whole point of it IS exploring new worlds!

First: Not entirely true, there is danger but going through a gate when you have no idea what is on the other side is stupidity.

Second: They didn't have to dial Earth, there are 100s, 1000s, or even 1000000s of other stargates to dial. Or they could've just fought their way to open ground and beamed up.

When you join the SGC, there is a certain expectation of people's responsibility to not get you killed.

One of the things that I hate is that the Airmen all seem to be pretty damn stupid. Like the one in the episode two weeks ago who just kind of stood there with the yellow glowing thing and didn't even call anyone about it until it was all done with.

I agree with Jakerod. They could have gone anywhere else in the galaxy. Rush's explanation about the blast coming through the wormhole was just a weak excuse to justify going through to the expedition site. Even Young called him out on it. Dialling the 9th chevron was nothing but a selfish decision made by a guy who didn't want to give up on his lifes work.

Thankfully, it's just a show. ;)

Abs

Thankfully, it's just a show. ;)

Abs

That doesn't mean we can't dish out some love/hate on the characters. ;)

Hahah! That was funny. :D Thanks for sharing.

Abs

That was good. Two of my favorite sci-fi shows.

Great show thats finally starting to kick off after the mid season break :)

I don't know if it has aired everywhere yet but I thought tonight's episode was quite awesome.