Sign in to follow this  
kavoven

Stargate Universe [SG:U]

I personally couldn't stand the previous Stargate series's. This one is actually quite good. This show is a decent alternative coming off of Battlestar Galactica,

Hu, I thought the Destiny was the gate seeder ship?

Nope, there was at least one ship that went before it and planted the stargates. This ship was mean't to explore them.

Also there are 4 known galaxies. Milky Way, Pegasus, Ori, and Ida (Asgard).

There are other aliens too. Furlings, Reetu, Asgard, Bug like things from the ones with the ship trying to terraform the planet, bug like ones that were like a plague, the giant ones from the episode with the crystal skull, the ones that were able to make themselves look human using the technology and im sure there are others.

Ah ok, I misunderstood that...

Would like to see the Nox again, I really liked them :)

Nope, there was at least one ship that went before it and planted the stargates. This ship was mean't to explore them.

^^ This.

Also there are 4 known galaxies. Milky Way, Pegasus, Ori, and Ida (Asgard).

Oh yeah. I forgot about the Asgard galaxy.

There are other aliens too. Furlings, Reetu, Asgard, Bug like things from the ones with the ship trying to terraform the planet, bug like ones that were like a plague, the giant ones from the episode with the crystal skull, the ones that were able to make themselves look human using the technology and im sure there are others.

True, but they are minor. The Furlings haven't been seen at all to my knowledge, the Reetu appeared in something like two episodes and most other aliens only in a single one. Anyway, my point was that the three known "main" galaxies (Ida was hardly seen) are mostly populated by humanoids because of the ancients. The galaxies visited by Destiny should be populated by completely different species, since the ancients have never been there. :)

Despite everything, I enjoyed it (only just got round to watching the episodes that have aired already)

Yes there are good bits and yes there are bad bits. It might not be a new idea, but it kept me entertained. And at the end of the day, isnt that what counts?

Hmm, seeing this info all together like this makes me think. Atlantis was special, it had a Gate, a base, and a ZPM (almost all others did not). Was it a galaxy link? I bet there are specific intergalactic gates, aaaand, not sure how they get the destiny through except the Ori black hole type gate. Well, it's a fractured piece of thought on the subject :p

Hmm, seeing this info all together like this makes me think. Atlantis was special, it had a Gate, a base, and a ZPM (almost all others did not). Was it a galaxy link? I bet there are specific intergalactic gates, aaaand, not sure how they get the destiny through except the Ori black hole type gate. Well, it's a fractured piece of thought on the subject :p

I think any gate can serve as an intergalactic gate, provided it's hooked up to the right power source. They used several different gates in the SGC during the run of SG-1 and none of them seemed to be incapable of diallig other galaxies, or getting dialled from them.

The special things about Atlantis (i.e. the reason the Wraith wanted it so badly) were not only the base and the ZPMs, but also the fact that the address to dial Earth was in the computer, and the Wraith needed the codes to open the Earth iris. So even if they had found a ZPM at some point and managed to hook it up to a stargate - perhaps in a base similar to Atlantis, they still couldn't have reached Earth. Although they could concievably have randomly dialled some other place in the Milky Way.

"Water" was a bit dull... There were some events, but still...No real progress. They don't tell us anything new about the ship or about the Ancients and thats what I always liked about Stargate :-/

I liked it, just as i've liked the rest so far. Ok so it's not your typical Stargate, but then again, Stargate was formulaic cheese, and lets face it, theres only so much cheese you can stomach! The slower paced story will always have its drawbacks, but I have a feeling Stargate Universe will stay fresh alot longer than its counterparts because it hopefully won't just be the same thing each week with slightly different prosthetics.

I find SG:U more cheesy than any other SG series. I didn't like Atlantis really, the characters sucked mostly. I still keep watching SG:U to see how it goes, but so far, they want to be so much like BSG its painful. Seems innovation is something that left the SG production team along time ago.

Since we are on the Scifi theme, I have to say that Caprica looks very interesting and the pilot was great. SG team are emulating BSG but BSG has already moved on. It saddens me because the concept behind the SG is great, so much potential.

I liked the last episode and show in general. The last two endings haven't given me the same "I can't wait until next week feeling" that the rest of the episodes did.

I find SG:U more cheesy than any other SG series. I didn't like Atlantis really, the characters sucked mostly. I still keep watching SG:U to see how it goes, but so far, they want to be so much like BSG its painful. Seems innovation is something that left the SG production team along time ago.

This depends on the season you started with. My first SG series was Atlantis and I like(d) it much more than SG1. (Still I had to watch all SG1 episodes to know the complete story =) )

(Still I had to watch all SG1 episodes to know the complete story =) )

I just started doing the same thing. I've only watched Atlantis, and I'm on the second episode of SG-1. Something tells me that once I'm done it all, I'll be waiting for the Stargate mod to hurry up so that I can get my fix! ;)

Abs

Its really cool how the whole story started and fits...Developement of the naquada generators, construction of the first ship... it all really makes sense at the end :)

Oh god how these forums went down the drain...

Way to add to the conversation. One's internal thoughts should be explained, lest one wants to look demented :D

Well, threads like these would usually be locked, deemed too off topic for off topic(oddly enough). There was a time when even humour was banned, as I got warned for asking how much more awsome I could be.

I guess things are getting more relaxed.

In any case, watched the first couple of seasons of the original Stargate when it was on TV and I didn't have the internets. Liked it, but some of the episodes were just insane in concept.

Well, threads like these would usually be locked, deemed too off topic for off topic(oddly enough). There was a time when even humour was banned, as I got warned for asking how much more awsome I could be.

So as someone who used to break the forum rules in an attempt at humour you're complaining that the forum is now more relaxed?

You're an oddball, Mehman.

Abs

Please don't hijack the thread for discussions about this topic ...

So as someone who used to break the forum rules in an attempt at humour you're complaining that the forum is now more relaxed?

You're an oddball, Mehman.

Abs

There's no fun in it if I'm not breaking any rules :D.

I didn't enjoy "Water" as much as the previous episodes, possibly because the situation was resolved too quickly and there were too many idiot ball moments. It seems like a one-off episode that may aswell not have happened. So far we've had two story arcs in SGU, each with their own purposes:

"Air 1/2/3": Introduced the ship, showed how the peeps got stranded on it, repaired it to make it habitable.

"Darkness/Light": Refilled the ships energy supply (well, partially) and told us out more about it (the ship apparently acts to preserve itself and anyone on board etc.).

Now with "Water" we had some aliens on board that were somehow consuming the water supply without actually acquiring its mass (where the hell did those tiny sand-grain things put 40.000 liters of water? :confused: As Cartman would say: the fuck?). And by the end of the episode

the bugs have been chucked out through the Stargate, a minor guy has died (served the idiot right for firing a handgun at a fucking cloud of dust), and the main character teetering on the brink of death was saved at the last minute.

The dead guy will probably never be talked about again, except perhaps a passing mention as a nod to continuity. The sand-bugs are now apparently gone. It would have been so much cooler if they had left them locked up in that room, to be picked up for some later plot. How could they escape from an airtight room anyway?

Overall this is the first episode where I would agree with the people complaining about the storyline not moving on much. Not only did it a lot of it make very little sense, but we're pretty much back where we left off, except for having less water.

@MadDog

Spoilers for Water

Regarding the air tight room it is possible they managed to open it a bit. They did break through the can that they were put in so I can imagine that its possible that they found a small opening/dent/crack in the door and used it as leverage to open it a tiny bit.

That guy was pretty dumb for firing too.

Its also possible that when they drink the water it turns to a gaseous state or something like that. I hadn't thought about that before.

Well, they did hypothesize that only a small amount came back through the gate, so I just assumed a small number came back that they used the water to multiply and become a large swarm.

Abs

The next episode looks promising!

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmcUWw-0qoY&hl=de&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmcUWw-0qoY&hl=de&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Sweet! I'm looking forward to it! :D Finally it looks like things will be heating up.

Abs