Sign in to follow this  
chammy

New Sound Mod in the making, slowly but surely

Its getting better for sure. Good work guys! :)

I noticed one weird thing - again maybe only heard on my Audigy2 - but the bullet crack from the M4 (only one i tested so far) has a lot of "dirt" in the sound. If you go 3d person and turn the camera so you catch the crack youll hear it hopefully. It sounds like a crack and then some distant window crashing/cymbals kinda. I heard it a lot when i was on the recieving end of US troops. Even though the bullets didnt hit anything but just pass me it sounds like windows in the distant break and some more "tingle tangle". :) This is with the latest version.

But very immersive in big battles! Thanks for the update and the hard work!

Now MW2 - that game has amazing sound effects. Try playing in 5.1 surround sound, it will blow your mind.

Really? With my normal speakers, at least, the sounds are muddy and unobtrusive. With so much combat going on 24/7, everything just fades into the background, punctuated by the soft thumpa thumpa of your own weapon every now and then. If you had Vopsound gun effects in one of those levels, you would be completely deafened in minutes. Which is probably why the sounds are so tame.

The SPR also has a empty shell hitting the ground in the end of the sample. Should be cut out since there is separate empty shell sounds hitting the ground in ARMA2. :) There is 2 shells hitting the ground now from 1 shot hehe.

Tell what you think of this quick clip here. Experimenting a little

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vZ1ew6MTWw

Haha wow! Lots of action. :D

Can you tell me how many units are firing roughly? Like i said in my earlier post the battles are beginning to be very immersive. Only beef i had last was the crack that contains some "dirt" in it (heard from the M4), and that the end of the SPR sample has a empty case/shell hitting the ground "plink" when the game has one itself. I think you just forgot about removing it from the sample.

But it sounds good man. You know it. :)

I just wanted to stick a quick clip there just to see what poeple thought of the sound there so I can just leave those in. I 'm going to take the vid down in a few minutes though. U see, I wanted to see the opinions and for myself, how pleasant sounding a mass fire fight would sound like. I will stick one up with the same stuff but from a far off distance.

All those will most likely be in the modules I am trying to complete at the moment.

A nice thing you could add was to reduce the volume of beach waves. They are currently (in vanilla as well) way too loud, especially when you are far away.

Also the DMR sounds as if it has a suppressor or something (even though it doesn't).

Is this on any addonsync server?

Edited by galzohar

sounds great Chammy. Really loving the impact and ricochet sounds too. Way more threatening than any other mod or vanilla. I agree that the cracks are a bit loud.

Version: 1.03.02 is available from the usual download link.

Its getting better for sure. Good work guys! :)

I noticed one weird thing - again maybe only heard on my Audigy2 - but the bullet crack from the M4 (only one i tested so far) has a lot of "dirt" in the sound ...

The SPR also has a empty shell hitting the ground in the end of the sample. Should be cut out since there is separate empty shell sounds hitting the ground in ARMA2...

Thanks Alex, both issues fixed. You only need report your findings once mate ;)

There is also a new M16 firing sound, plus another variation for the M4.

Don't be shy with your feedback :)

On my system, ArmA 2 sounds radically different when I switch between 'Game Mode' and 'Audio Creation Mode'. Audio Creation sounds are, as expected, much better quality and of higher fidelity, but it produces some wierd results in game - anyone else notice that or similar?

WRT supersonic cracks, I have balanced one or two of the loudest. It is a compromise though, so I won't be changing it too much.

If you can be specific with feedback it is much more helpful. Just as many of you have done, it helps tremendously.

Still waiting to hear from Sickboy on the rSync Updater network, hopefully he will get back to me.

I'll also take a look at what needs to be done for Yoma support as a possible alternative method of distribution.

A nice thing you could add was to reduce the volume of beach waves. They are currently (in vanilla as well) way too loud, especially when you are far away.

Also the DMR sounds as if it has a suppressor or something (even though it doesn't).

Yeah, waves could do with being toned down. Maybe one for the future.

DMR - wierd Galz.

Edited by Protegimus

kudos to you Pro. I really appreciate your work on this, listening to feedback and releasing fast updates. awesome stuff :thumbsup:

Just had a QUICK go at the latest release and at first was thinking... hmmm nothing has changed! then as i reloaded my weapon i noticed that i had a different sound come from it and again a 3rd sound after another reload which i really liked :)

the newest sound added for the m16? has a bit more thump behind the sound which i like compared to the other sound but if i am honest still feels a tad weak but certainly getting better :)

Personally i liked the loud crack sounds as it makes me cack my pants every time some enemy soldiers open up on me :O really made me dive to the ground thinking wtf !!

hope its not toned down to much.

i love the sounds you hear from distance they are perfect IMO! but machine guns should sound more powerful make them louder so they stand out more would really add to the overall feel of the battles thanks for the hard work so far!! :D

Thanks OrdeaL, updated release version: 1.03.01 resolves this, available here.

I'd recommend downloading from the above link as it is frequently updated.

wrt to subjective feedback on weapon sounds, config is relevant so please post it as requested together with your opinion.

Update includes a new M249 sound. Quality is limited to that of the source, but it still conveys some of the character of the sound produced when firing the weapon.

Protegimus

:eek: :eek: :eek:

A new M249 sound? :yay: Hell yea lol... i'll check it out, thanks!

Tested out the M249, it's sounding better than it was.

Now it just needs a more higher pitch crack.

Reference:

I can get the sound file and splice it, not sure what sort of sound u want though

youtube videos are good reference but average microphones are overloaded by shooting sounds. I think the lower frequencies are a little bit cut so in reality it may sound less metallic.

edit: the new M16A4 sound added is very different to the other two.

Edited by JumpingHubert

This sound mod is really starting to take shape, great Chammy and Protegimus(and everyone else invovled) :D

Agree. When you look at the water you can see small waves but by the sound of them you think they are 30m+ high :p

Really enjoying the development of this mod, I noticed today that the 203 reloading is the same sound as a magazine now which I hadn't noticed before is that just me? in which case I need to check out my mod folder, thanks.

*Edit: The reloading sound for the 203 works ok with the ACEX_SM but when only using the CSM2 mod you only get the sound of a magazine reloading instead, I knew I'd changed something, my fault.. ;)

Edited by Zebb

Did the 1.03 edition revise the AK series sound? Such as AK74, it's "burst" sound is quite differenct from the "FULL" and "Semi" sound.Its weird.

Hey guys. Not sure how much my opinion matters having only heard the sound mod on videos. (My computer is on the way from me last duty station) but it seems like their is no bass to explosions. Explosions in the distance are very quiet. Maybe its just the youtube video. Anyone else have an opinion on the explosions?