Sign in to follow this  
SPECOPx

How much View Distance is really needed?

How much do you guys is really needed? I currently have it at 2033.

I need all 10,000m if I'm setting up to snipe stuff with a tank. I don't know the technicalities of the graphics engine, but it's my experience that enemy units only draw out to ~2,300m with that view setting.

Using 2500, for me that's quite good (a lot better than the default 1600).

Im on 3000 which seems to work pretty well, I try not to look at the far distance too much while playing though as it ruins the illusion when I can see a bare hill in the distance that I know is covered in trees

I have it at 2000-2500 when I'm on the ground, it seems to be enough, except for situations when I need to spot aircrafts. And if I go flying around, I set it as high as possible until it lags too much :)

4000 for me, it lets you see more than enough if your a ground troop, and gives a nice framerate too!

5000m with stable 30fps and without ugly LOD changings would be nice to have.

Sure 5 km would be nice but I would settle for less if we just can get rid of thoose fugly LOD/texture pops/swaps!

Ohh and please fix the flickering on distance objects while your at it :butbut:

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

I use the default 1600 view distance.

But I would like it if BIS made it so the Engine could Draw objects really far, for example when im on the runway on Utes island, I put some cover and objects in the middle from the far sides I cannot see it they are not there until im about 500m from it or so, make objects draw out farther and Im having problems with aircraft disappearing at really short distances.

But Im sure theres a mod for that :)

I'm not really happy unless it's at 4000. Highly-scripted missions make me halve that, while my crummy laptop can, for mysterious reasons, handle 6000-10,000 in the Editor or Armory.

You really do want it as high as you can if you have any tanks or anti-tank weapons. Aircraft go without saying. You can detect enemies six kilometers off at times.

I use either 3000,3500, or 4000 given the amount of framerate slowdowns I might be getting on a particular mission.

Does setting view distance even work????

I have mine in the games options area set at 3600. But in the profile it still says 1600.

viewDistance=1600

Still at a loss why we set things at certain settings in the ingame options, yet these are not seemingly reflected in the configs.

I can't effectively use more than 2700meters. Something like 4000m would be optimal, but in campaign or editor missions with some modules and few units texture loading und FPS will become a problem.

Depends highly on the situation. I play infantry mostly, without too much vehicle stuff, and then 1000-1500 will suit just fine. I need to up it insanely if trying to take out a tank with a Javelin though at some distance, since object draw distance is significantly lower than the view distance.

Drawdistance should be improved + optimized so you can see vehicles + units like you can see buildings, stonewalls, rocks and trees in distance. AI on the other hand shouldnt be able to spot units in distance if the player isnt able to see them. Kinda cheating to send AI around only to spot the invisible units.

For planes and helicopters the viewdistance should be increased with altitude.

Would be nice to hear from BIS which view+ drawdistance they consider as optimum for Arma2 for different settings like lowest, low, normal, high and highest.

The view distance doesn't really matter cos no matter what you set it to, the objects in the game are drawn to 2300m max. I think you can see that far if you have your view distance set to 6-7km, anything above that is useless. I really hope there will be a separate object draw distance setting added in the game someday.

What sort of a system do you have Beagle?
Win XP SP3, Athlon X2 6000+, 2GB DDR II, ATI HD 3870 512MB Edited by Beagle

For me 3000 is just right (for me) .. but I use Victor Farbu's FPS monitor to dip in places and switch on/off as needed .. but in open areas mainly 3000.

The view distance doesn't really matter cos no matter what you set it to, the objects in the game are drawn to 2300m max. I think you can see that far if you have your view distance set to 6-7km, anything above that is useless. I really hope there will be a separate object draw distance setting added in the game someday.

That is what the mod is for which I posted.