Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

I know the story Lughnut. I do agree there was too much overhype with those games you refered (B&Ws and Fables). But anyway B&W (Fables I didn't play) are miles away from what is the Dragon thing. Even if it was behind its original intent, it his something we can appreciate for its concept.

Besides, Populous for example, it's not an just OK game. It's one of the most brilliant, ever.

I read a recent interview with Molyneux and I really think that he didn't over hyped those games on purpose because of greed. I think he honestly thought that he could make them. In the end those games just died at the beach.

That's not what happened with CM, Sion and Dragon Poo. There was greed intent since the day they stole the name.

How old is Populous? - Homeworld is IMO probably the best title of sorta recent. Was it revolutionary? Not really. Was it good? I think so. But the only truly REVOLUTIONARY title was Populous. Fable Revolutionary? Not really. Syndicate? So uncontrollable it was sick. Never patched really after the hyped launch. I wanted to LOVE that game, but you couldn't play it. Dungeon Keeper was good, but not what it was hyped as.

So much hype.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

Syndicate was one of my all time favourites. I preferred it over Fallout, but then again, I was always a big Cannon Fodder fanatic. Simple yet fun.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

As another brilliant shining example of CM engineering.... I picked up Ashes Cricket 2009 for the Wii before I relised it was made by CM.

Here's how gameplay go's. When batting, hold the B button and swing the remote. Every time the ball will be hit for 6.

For you yanks, basically think of it as a homerun every ball without possibility of anything else.

Agree about syndicate...when that came out for Amiga 1200 on if I remebmer right 4 floppy discs, it was one of my best games - fantastic. Never played the PC version, it seemed like a reworking of a classic, and we all know how that goes.

Can a game be overhyped if it pretty much lives up to the hype? Overhyping a product means the product falls flat of all expectations because of the hype. When consumers are satisfied that the pre release marketing was on a level with the product itself, then it becomes merely "widely advertised". The original release of Syndicate IMO was widely advertised. I can't really see the merit in uttering the name of a title like that in the samesentence, paragraph, post, thread, board, COUNTRY, as Droggon Rusing. It's like comparing UFO: Enemy Unknown to Empire Earth 3.

Molyneux thought of himself as a visionary, right or wrong, (and I have doubts about anyone who says: "I am the way"), he really thought his games were worth that much attention. Remember, this was back in the day where the people who made the games control the company. Programmers and designers held court over business interests.

So, imo, ('cause opinions by their very nature are anything but humble) to compare the advertising of this list of what many people believe to be classic titles, to the travesty of CM's bastardisation of the OFP name is erroneous in the extreme.

-------------------------------------

Hah...Cannon Fodder. What a game!!

EDIT: nice...

Edited by Bascule42
...and I thort I cud spel

Bascule42, that avatar is great.

Point sorta drifted from pre-launch hype to debated the games being hyped were good or not. That's not the point. The point is, the games were good regardless of the hype.

Ok let's take say Dungeon Keeper 1.

Pre-launch hype, made me to believe that you would design a dungeon, place the traps, and basically it was an engine/editor made into a game. The good guys would attack and then you see the outcome of the attack in realtime and then command your forces accordingly. Sort of a C&C in a dungeon.

It wasn't that. It turned into basically a city building game where you could only really control one toon and the others just roamed around until the good guys were spotted by the AI and they would just swarm. Not much control at that point.

I uninstalled/reinstalled tried again, still a city management game. Uninstalled. I wanted to command my minions but instead I managed a city. whoopie. Was it a good "city management game?" Yes. Was it a RTC? Heck no.

Now if the game would have been promoted as a Evil City Management game, ok. But it was promoted as a RTC Dungeon. Big difference.

DR was/is the same, promoted as one thing grand, turning into something totally different at launch. It's like saying "Here's a new Porsche dude." Open the hood and you have a Lawnmower engine in there. Then when you tell the dealer, you ripped me off jackass, they say....."Nice....." (or tough shit.) "I'm not doing anything for you now because you got upset that you got ripped off."

Cannon Fodder: man that was a cool game. Kinda mindless but wasted many hours with that.

edit: oh sorry..... "Nice...."

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

Luhgnut;1567607']

Pre-launch hype' date=' made me to believe that you would design a dungeon, place the traps, and basically it was an engine/editor made into a game. The good guys would attack and then you see the outcome of the attack in realtime and then command your forces accordingly. Sort of a C&C in a dungeon.

[/quote']

But that's the exact description of the game as far as I remember when I was playing it

But that's not the point. The point is that you've to do a natural distinction between Molyneaux/Bullfrog and Sion/CM and is unfair to put both in the same bag. There was pure greed intent on the CM side. I really doubt that was what happen with Molyneaux.

Sorry for the off-topic.

Point taken Luhgnut...

...and in that context, Dragoon Rolling must be the biggest lie in gaming history,even more so that when Rambo 2 came out for the ZX Spectrum. In fact, I'd go so far to say, the biggest lie in the history of consumerable media. A bigger lie than when Clinton said, "Who's Monica Lewinski", than when Tony Blair said "45 minutes...", when OJ said, "That aint my glove man", when George Lucas said "Star War is improved now...", when Delila told Samson, "You'd look cute with short hair", or when Judas said, "Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Jesu. It aint me"!

I'm not conviced though of comparing Lenton and Molynex though.

I can imagine Mr Lenton telling the board at CM HQ right about now. "We have been shot in the head. We are bleeding, but it's OK. I just want reassure the board that things are...

Nice..."

Edited by Bascule42
..one day my posts will make sence

This goes back to my previous post re: British Development companies. One thing they have in common is over-hype. More than any other group of publishers. PM basically wrote the book and is viewed as THEE British publisher that laid the groundwork for British game development / release strategy. He is the the most successful. CM is really the only remaining British development company out there. CM has Offices in PM's companies.

I find the similarities shockingly parallel. Bullfrog/Lionhead known for overhyping constantly. CM Over-hyping constantly. What I'm saying is that with a leader like Molyneux, that has a legacy of over-hyping being regarded as THEE pathfinder for british development, why not over-hype? It worked for PM, and I see Lenton doing the same thing. Not saying for certain (course) but its shockingly similar.

I totally agree that DR was the biggest farce to be released on the gaming public that I can recall and I've been doing this since Pong. As I sit here, I can't truly remember such misleading and downright false advertising/marketing.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

Ok I see the discussion developing, we went from simple bashing Dragon failure to discussing the mechanics of the Gaming industry .......nice

Ok I see the discussion developing, we went from simple bashing Dragon failure to discussing the mechanics of the Gaming industry .......nice

How is it possible to discuss the game thoroughly without providing context for that discussion?

all i can say is at the end of the day CM need to stick to car games and not mil sims as it is my time playing DR has now finished ill stick to ArmA 1 & 2 thank you

And now, we have this. Thread's been open for a whole day and there's not been a response, despite the number of people asking for one, including Templar himself. I think that's more than anything proof that CM does not care about the game or its customers anymore.

nah, it turned that way, cause I compared Lenton to another over-hyper is all.

-------------------

I can hear CM's reply now....

Everybody say it!

Everything's going to be nice.

I don't think they will reply. Will probably just go on a banning spree again.

Edit: Gah, got to stop talking about moderation...

Edited by Zipper5
Oops

Can someone please correct Sir Polaris that its not OFP2. They were not allowed to call it that as it is no sequel. Thats why it changed the name to OFP: Dragon Rising...

People will call it that no matter how many times they're told otherwise, it seems. Unfortunately, it appears that CM wanted it to be seen that way, as in the true sequel to OFP, which, we all know, is BIS' ArmA games. Hence why I made my signature.

Can someone please correct Sir Polaris that its not OFP2. They were not allowed to call it that as it is no sequel. Thats why it changed the name to OFP: Dragon Rising...

done.

And now, we have this. Thread's been open for a whole day and there's not been a response, despite the number of people asking for one, including Templar himself. I think that's more than anything proof that CM does not care about the game or its customers anymore.

Let's hope that the very last loyal CM customer who paid for that... product and now is ignored has learnt a lesson from this and doesn't get fooled by their next PR hype once the "sequel" is about to be released.

It's more than obvious that all CM wanted was their customers best - their money and now just ignore the last remaining loyal fans.

Well done, really... nice. :rolleyes:

Let's hope that the very last loyal CM customer who paid for that... product and now is ignored has learnt a lesson from this and doesn't get fooled by their next PR hype once the "sequel" is about to be released.

It's more than obvious that all CM wanted was their customers best - their money and now just ignore the last remaining loyal fans.

W0lle you're so nice.....

Well I don't feel guilty for buying the game but I would certainly never purchase a CM game again. My expectations weren't very high but surprisingly the game was far worse that. More so, the way that CM operates after the fact of a seriously lacking relese, was nothing short of abysmal -a shoeshine job as it's called on the streets. People praise their deceptive marketing as effective, but having run my own small business for 12+ years, it may have garnered them a short-sighted cash flow but the damage done to their name should last for a very long time.

I say should, because their business is geared for youngsters and there is no telling how much that demographic really holds grudges in the face of next years splashy marketing campaign. In my field, it would have been professional suicide.

Lol @ the "Please!" thread. I commend Templar for using up the end of his ban-resistence suit by calling CM execs out, but I wonder how long that'll last

Moderator to Higher Ups: "ok, this guy is getting outta control, can we ban him yet?"

Higher Ups: "Hmm, better call accounting to get the green light on that one"

Accounting: "Negative. His youtube vids probably sell an extra 50 copies a day -thats 50 X $5.00, well thats an extra $250.00 a day, better keep him onboard"

Moderator: "damn"

Edited by froggyluv

Nice... Thread is Nice... ;)

CM will never respond they know it was a money grabbing hiest.

Thats why Lemon Ah I mean Lenton said Nice...

Remember the Heroes? From their page -

We have moved on, OFP: DR is dead on arrival.

This group has been rotting and festering since: Nov 20th, 2009

A little piece of CM history and reminder of the times of OFP: DR.

I'll miss them :p

Moderator to Higher Ups: "ok, this guy is getting outta control, can we ban him yet?"

The sad part is that one of the mods posted in that thread also asking for CM to respond, and he PM'd Helios about it and said he got no response back.

It's a good product at a good price.

I'm enjoying it a lot and looking forward to any sequel.

It's shame it's a console port mind you.

I don't feel I was fooled by any PR, it's broadly speaking what I expected it to be. If anything, somewhat better.

People who like army games should pick it up.

I've got one friend who doesn't like Arma 2 but bought Dragon Rising when it came out and kept raving about how much he loved it. Haven't seen him for a couple of months, but he came around last night to setup a LAN and I asked if he wanted to play Dragon Rising and test out Temp's new coop mission. He said "Dragon Rising, nah, that game's crap"

Apparently it took him longer than most to see past the post processing.

Personally I just feel disconnected when I play it, and just can't find any enjoyment in it.

I've got it set up on my LAN too.

It's ideal for it in my opinion.