Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

CM's actions, or lack there-of does not change the fact that I love the game itself :yay:

Completely against the spirit of a true OFP game, eh? :rolleyes:

Why do you even post here Templar lol? If you love Dragon Rising, and Hate Arma 2, are you just falling back on us because we are kinder to you than the CM forums? :p

Not flaming or anything, just bringing up a kind of point :)

Well, this thread is about the game, and if he likes the game its his right to defend it here too, if he wants to. Doesn´t change the fact that Codemasters is entirely responsible for how they made the game.

Their lack of response makes it look as if it´s just a big blunder, rather than conciously made game design decisions. If it were the latter, you´d think they´d defend their choices.

And it seems as if the latest patch was more of a game breaker than a fixer. The memory leaks the game is suffering from are bad enough, or the inherent limits of the engine, but deep-frying graphics cards when idling in the main menu is a bit drastic of a bug. Maybe a remainder of that class-1 bug they said they had found back in december?

Somewhere in their "Work Pipeline" has to be a serious glitch.

Why do you even post here Templar lol? If you love Dragon Rising, and Hate Arma 2, are you just falling back on us because we are kinder to you than the CM forums? :p

Not flaming or anything, just bringing up a kind of point :)

cant argue with logic :)

CM's actions, or lack there-of does not change the fact that I love the game itself :yay:

What can i say, i love to hate it :yay:

Well if that doesnt sum this thread up nicely whith CM and their spoon too big for their cornflakes and the BIS Banana...

Seriously, this thread goes downhill very very fast now and maybe its about time to lock it up.

Yea, it's been months since the game was released, why is this thread still alive? At least make a new one if you guys want to keep at this pointless discussion... (seriously, almost 400 pages of CM bashing is enough).

Seriously, this thread goes downhill very very fast now and maybe its about time to lock it up.

Yet it´s the poor JCOVE thread to get locked ... silly world :notify:

Don't say that too loud, you never know what happens. :D

And please, stop discussing how they moderate their forums. I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing and what they can cause by banning left and right with no particular reason. Good thing is that if affects only CM and not us. :)

And now complain again about us being strict here and acting like dictators. :p

Edited by W0lle

(seriously, almost 400 pages of CM bashing is enough).

NO it isnt, they should know to the end of days that this POS

is purely POS for using the name of Flashpoint and bluntly lying

and exaggerating the product before release. Remember the rabiat

fanbois proclaming before its relase how GREAT this game would be

compared to ARMAII. (last laugh now)

And now we know the truth behind this so-called Mil-sim.

So lets voice it to the end of days.(2012? ;)

Hi all

CM's business model seems to be based on "You can fool some of the people all the time"

Kind Regards walker

I suggest to close this thread AND make it a sticky.

Hang it up to dry and for people to see. That way the moderators can close all new OFP:DR threads and point to the sticky and explain that all is said.

Dont close the thread. Its one of the 1st things i come to look at each day. Ive left this tab open permanently, Ive had this tab open for months now.

Carry on chaps.

Nice.... work!

Now once BIS irons out all the remaining issues with the RV3 engine/ Arma 2 and makes it run well like Dragon Crap, then we will see a true successor and a "Nice..." Spit on the face of Consolemasters.

Also if BIS could port Arma 2 to consoles and provide smooth gameplay and an editor, that alone would wipe out DR, because Arma 2 isnt built around thousands of stupid limitations like entity caps, and whatnot.

On topic: My review of Dragon Rising would look like this

Graphics: 5/10 Horrible looking textures even at Highest LOD completely 2D trees, foilage that looks like crap, character models that belong on PS2, LOD issues, hardly any detail, no WOW moments, the viewdistance is good but only if you like super low res textures and floating cities.

Story: 1/10 BAW, Boooring.

Gameplay: 6/10 Call of Duty Esque except delays on everything! Unrealistic wound system (total opposite of what they originally were going to develope)

AI that is good but cant hit you at 100 meters with an rifle or at 40 meters with a MG!! They cant drive at all! Perfectly scripted campaign so the game doesnt show off its weaknesses like only having 50 entities at once including dead bodies/remains

Audio: 9/10 The only thing good in the game, bullets sound good, voice acting is good, music is nice...

Multiplayer: What the hell is this ****!!? No Dedicated servers for A FLASHPOINT GAME ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!??? NO JOIN IN PROGRESS!!!? GAMES 10 YEARS AGO HAD THIS! 2 GAME-TYPES?!! Only 32 Players on PC and 8 on CONSOLE!!???? AI IN MP??!!!! TETHER LIMIT!! 4 FREAKING "MAPS" I mean areas on Skira to play MP on this is pure atroscity.

Total WTF BBQ MP gets a 2/10

Design: 1/10 EGO ENGINE IS FOR CONSOLES and ONLY FOR CONSOLES!

PC interface sucks, its glitchy lags all the time, cant even play coop for more than 5 minutes without a glitchy connection problem or boot.

No Joystick support, No Freelook, nice views of blurry textures an no detail in all vehicles.

Overall Delivery: POS (Not an average :) ) Biggest Disappointment in my video gaming time. :mad:

CM sold this game on pure marketing scams and lies, CM lost me and my squad permanetly as customers with this POS and their inability to make patches that work ala 1.02 burning up everyones GPU's and their incompetent Design team you know who im talking about....

Nice....

ZING

Like I said before, this thread is an ongoing autopsy of what went wrong and why - just like a crime scene ;)

Nice...review there. Accurate, honest and to the point.

EDIT: I vote for finishing every relpy on this thread with the word:

Nice...

Edited by Bascule42
Nice...

Wonder what the next move is... my bet, CM starts another section under CM calling it something else and releases another game under that section's name (drawing no links to CM) claiming it to be the best mil-sim ever made.

As for ending with a "Nice...", I'm sorry but I just can't do it

I'm in my own

Niche...

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

I'm amazed that most people don't pick up on just how bad an advert for Intel that is. Other than the fact that they've been told they have to say "Intel" in every sentence, there's also some just plain stupid things like how one developer playtests the game and shows you how he can run the game maxxed out at "60hz without dropping a frame" because he's using an i7 that can handle all that graphics....

I suggest to close this thread AND make it a sticky.

Hang it up to dry and for people to see. That way the moderators can close all new OFP:DR threads and point to the sticky and explain that all is said.

Nice.... idea

Luhgnut;1566839']

The fact of the matter is Lenton follows the teachings of Molyneux. To the letter. Molyneux's company actually houses some of CM's offices. Molyneux is well known for super' date=' over the top, promising anything and everything in a game pre-launch. He's done it for years successfully. He's a Hype guru. The game launches and 90% of the games don't have most of what he promises. He hit a home run with Fable and Fable 2 only because they were actually "ok" games and the timing of their release was perfect. But with all his games there's one thing that's common. They have MASSIVE launches, but then within a month, nobody is buying. If you say anything negative about any of his games after launch? He'll do one of two things.

1) he'll say "Yes, I'm disappointed that particular feature didn't make it into the final code. It's a technical problem that we had to scrap." - something like that.

(Yeah, scrapped a primary component that you've been promoting for months if not years.)

2) He'll sidestep. "The gaming industry is a very complicated industry and choices had to be made that are too complicated to explain here."

Basically saying "I'm smart, you're not, don't ask."

Sound familiar?[/quote']

I'm sorry to have to disagree with that, at a certain extent.

Peter Molyneux is "much more" than a simple Sion something.

Even if I concede that you're right with Fables, you must remember what is Peter Molyneaux:

Populous, Powermonger, Populous II, Syndicate, Theme Park, Magic Carpet, Theme Hospital, Dungeon Keeper, Dungeon Keeper II, Homeworld, Black & White, among others. The man deserves to be remembered also by the positive things he has done in the video game industry, and not only by the bad. He created new concepts and in a way is a visionary.

Please don't try to compare him with that Sion thing.

I'm sorry to have to disagree with that, at a certain extent.

Peter Molyneux is "much more" than a simple Sion something.

Even if I concede that you're right with Fables, you must remember what is Peter Molyneaux:

Populous, Powermonger, Populous II, Syndicate, Theme Park, Magic Carpet, Theme Hospital, Dungeon Keeper, Dungeon Keeper II, Homeworld, Black & White, among others. The man deserves to be remembered also by the positive things he has done in the video game industry, and not only by the bad. He created new concepts and in a way is a visionary.

Please don't try to compare him with that Sion thing.

No, I"m comparing Sion to Molyneux.

Yes, back in the day, Molyneux was putting games on cassette tape. But remember every one of those programs were overhyped. I'm talking about the over hyping. Not the failure or success of the title.

Don't believe me?

Molyneux has gained a bit of infamy in regards to his over-hyping of games he has worked on, dating back to Black & White. He has a habit of making too many promises about features and content in his games that end up either not being included or not actually as good as he made it seem. In spite of this these games still show a degree of market and critical success bringing a mixed response on his reputation as a game designer. This was especially true of the Fable series, Molyneux was quoted as saying, "Fable will set the standard for which all RPG's are compared". A review of Fable on Zero Punctuation by Ben Croshaw explored this trait of Molyneux, comparing how he had described the game would be with the final product. It was reported by Croshaw in his Fable II review that since then, Molyneux had contacted him and said that he believed the sequel would meet his 'unreasonable standards', which Croshaw described as 'Characteristically Over-Optimistic on [Molyneux's] part'.

Lenton is trying to copy Molyneux over-hyping. The difference is, that Molyneux has a reputation of having "ok" games. All these games were "ok". I did like Magic Carpet myself, but it was flawed and never fixed. Black and White was not what it was promoted as. Fable? Very short, and not really "setting a standard for all RPG's are compared." yeah ok. right.

It's the overhype and promises of things in games that never make it. CM/Bullfrog/Lionhead all overhype more than any others. and they are all related.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

mr nut has a point...its a common marketing practice...if you over hype something to such an extent even if it is utter shite a certain percentage of people will have followed the hype and invested so much in your product before you release it that they will love it no matter what flaws it has. This is commonly done when companies know their product is not going to live up to expectations but have no choice but to release (mainly games and movie industry). They have three choices, scrap the project and start again (the original half life became a gem because of this), admit the product won't be as good as expected (can't think of an example for this ever), or hype the doody out of it promising it to be the best thing since sliced bread and people will love it on whispers and promises (lots of games...hmm can anyone thing of one?)

I know the story Lughnut. I do agree there was too much overhype with those games you refered (B&Ws and Fables). But anyway B&W (Fables I didn't play) are miles away from what is the Dragon thing. Even if it was behind its original intent, it his something we can appreciate for its concept.

Besides, Populous for example, it's not an just OK game. It's one of the most brilliant, ever.

I read a recent interview with Molyneux and I really think that he didn't over hyped those games on purpose because of greed. I think he honestly thought that he could make them. In the end those games just died at the beach.

That's not what happened with CM, Sion and Dragon Poo. There was greed intent since the day they stole the name.