Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

Especially the first one is downright upsetting. Rubbing up to the original fanbase of a Game they didn´t even make themselves? That´s a pretty large leap to take for a publisher... and the gibberish about Military and Tactics and Realism and and and seems so utterly fake now that the game is out.

I saw these vids quite sometime ago and was convinced DR was going to be a great game. After release I thought "Wow these guys ( Lenton and his cronies ) are full of shit", now knowing what I know, I can catagorically state that Lenton and his cronies are indeed full of shit.

I find it funny that people are still hanging on over in the CM forums as the game is obviously dieing ( console versions now bargain bin prices on amazon and play ) with some guys stating it's possible to get a good "server" if you hang around for 30 mins or so and they think that is a good thing. I find the whole debacle quite hilarious.

I wonder, if you posted those quotes on the CM forum would you be banned? Would you be banned for trolling?

An academic study of trolling was done in 1999 by a scholar named Judith Donath. Here's what she had to say about it, in part:

"Trolling is a game about identity deception, albeit one that is played without the consent of most of the players. The troll attempts to pass as a legitimate participant, sharing the group's common interests and concerns [...] Their success at the former depends on how well they — and the troll — understand identity cues; their success at the latter depends on whether the troll's enjoyment is sufficiently diminished or outweighed by the costs imposed by the group.

"Trolls can be costly in several ways. A troll can disrupt the discussion on a newsgroup, disseminate bad advice, and damage the feeling of trust in the newsgroup community. Furthermore, in a group that has become sensitized to trolling — where the rate of deception is high — many honestly naïve questions may be quickly rejected as trollings. This can be quite off-putting to the new user who upon venturing a first posting is immediately bombarded with angry accusations. Even if the accusation is unfounded, being branded a troll is quite damaging to one's online reputation."

Let us review some of the highlights of CM's promotion campaign for DR.

* They masqueraded as original developers for OFP.

* They pretended to have the right to develop an official sequel to OFP.

* They listened to their community and ours and created a list of things we badly wanted in a sequel and lied about having them.

* They lied about not having things they did actually implement that would turn the communities off, such as force fields.

* This misdirection and misinformation was targeted directly at our wallets, giving them a 'rise' in revenue while we waste our time and money.

So, I ask the question. Who are the trolls? Those people who are wanting answers for obvious misrepresentation? Or those who are playing the identity game, seeking directly to use false statements to our direct deficit, and whose actions beg an emotional response by an invested community?

Just finished watching these videos Templar found over at ELSEWHERE, and it´s pretty stunning to take all this in.

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/operationflashpoint2/video/6196274/gc-2008-operation-flashpoint-2-first-look-interview

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/operation-flashpoint-2-gc/256748

Especially the first one is downright upsetting. Rubbing up to the original fanbase of a Game they didn´t even make themselves? That´s a pretty large leap to take for a publisher... and the gibberish about Military and Tactics and Realism and and and seems so utterly fake now that the game is out.

There´s also a few gems in there:

1:03 "You don´t have hitpoints, you don´t have FORCE FIELDS" <- I guess the Invisi-shield doesn´t count.

Later on tons of fancy equipment and talk about how the game wouldn´t be dumbed down.

Such a pity this had to happen. By now I´m also glad I didn´t buy into the hype that was going on shortly before the game was actually released.

As for the videos, nice finds. Kudos to Templar

Cheers

InstaGoat

Well, I think this is kind of explained by the insane number of developer teams who worked on the game over the time. Opinions were different, parts had to be scratched and money started to run out. Somebody in the top places messed up big time.

I Think whole CM messed up really big Time. I wonder how long it will take for the Players to trust CM again. (I fear ths will be way to fast)

I Think whole CM messed up really big Time. I wonder how long it will take for the Players to trust CM again. (I fear ths will be way to fast)

I'm like an Elephant; My penis is hu....I mean, I never forget!

I'm like an Elephant; My penis is hu....I mean, I never forget!
pmsl well am not geting any game from CM

any more thay can stick DR where the sun don't shine :D ill stick to arma 1 & 2

WOW those graphics in this trailer are awesome. What happened?! It looks like it was all there and ready. They really massacred it for the consoles.

it's called 3D software rendering. none of the pre-release videos were "in game".

the game runs like crap as is with the pre-2006 graphics, imagine how it would run with the graphics as seen in their rendered videos.

Amazing that 2010 people still fall for the pre-rendered trap :o

Its like showing some noob a game and when the render intro starts you hear things like "Man this game has great graphics!" :)

Always annoyed me like hell when people said oh man look how much better DR2 will be as it looks so awesome on screens... we all know the sad end to this story though :)

Shadow, Dynamo: Did you see that videos? Did you see all those gameplay parts of presentations 2 years ago? We don't talk about prerendered trailers, we talk about 100% pure gameplay, that looked much better in alpha stage than in final stage.

Dynamo;1565157']...none of the pre-release videos were "in game"...

Nonsense. Don't talk about things you don't know absolutely nothing about.

Edited by Mr.Wolf

Nonsense. Don't talk about things you don't know absolutely nothing about.

lol

more than 10 chars

DM: That Dynamo's statement was completely false and I'm sure you know that. So why "LOL"?

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Tonci87: I follow OFP:DR for a long time now and I saw many videos from presentations. There were lots of videos (from 2008) that consisted from commented gameplay. And that gameplay, although buggy, looked much better than final game.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

By the way, if we talk about that video from Nazul's quote, I agree it's prerendered. But in general, many pre-release videos are pure gameplay. I thought we talk about entire templar's post, there were two videos, on prerendered, one gameplay.

DM: That Dynamo's statement was completely false and I'm sure you know that. So why "LOL"?

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Tonci87: I follow OFP:DR for a long time now and I saw many videos from presentations. There were lots of videos (from 2008) that consisted from commented gameplay. And that gameplay, although buggy, looked much better than final game.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

By the way, if we talk about that video from Nazul's quote, I agree it's prerendered. But in general, many pre-release videos are pure gameplay. I thought we talk about entire templar's post, there were two videos, on prerendered, one gameplay.

Here's what cheezes me about all the pre-rendered. Ok, in 2007... they started, they then made more in 08..... and even up until 3 months prior to launch... after many project restarts etc.... they were still posting pre-rendered. Then E3 happened. Then we saw video's of what became final.... labeled "work in progress."

They were still passing pre-rendered off as final beta nearly until launch.

I'm fine with early concept video's, but to show pre-renders, and not stating that they are in game or concept 2-3 months prior to launch is DECEPTION.

You know, when I first launched the game, I hadn't seen any real "in game" footage. I wasn't following DR much cause I know CM as a marketing company with some software....

When the screen faded from black to game, for the first time. My jaw dropped. Literally. Wife was in the room and I literally said "WTF is this?" I backed out and checked what limited video options there was. Nothing.

Went back in game, started to move. WTF? I can't really run? Disappointment was instant and was in shock. Then I moved to the first contact, pop goes the AI. I side step by instinct and they don't even shoot me. Not even in my general direction. "holy schmikies!" uh... ok. Instead of "shock and awe" in the positive sense I was in "shock and disbelief."

I trod up the hill to the radio tower unopposed. All the radio chatter, and music, and "oh boy oh boy" excitement... Some AI jumps out like "surprise". I go. "meh." mow em down with no fear. Blow up the high value tower that should have been guarded by nearly everything. Call in the arty. move down the hill to the village..... not really get in the village, but just sorta to it. shoot a couple pixels and then told to go back to meet AI that are in the exact spot we spawned at, WTF? Where did these guys come from?

5 hours later. rolling the broken credits...... I was just going "wow", just "wow" what a pile of garbage.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

That video is from the guy who made the whole rendering

OFP DR videos.

He uploaded his one as proof in HD quality

you can also ask him questions on youtube, he talks openly as he

seems not to be employed at codemasters anymore, so check it out.

LOL. Just LOL.

Community-building at its finest...

I can't help but wonder if it's him replying or if it's someone who's been hired to post on his behalf. I wouldn't be particularly surprised if it was him, however. It's is pleasing to see even the most dire of DR fans, like Templar, bash his brains in after that act of idiocy. Well deserved if I don't say so myself.

LOL. Just LOL.

Community-building at its finest...

Thats just brilliant...or to take a quote from that thread:

"Nice..." :p

And now it seems they're even giving poor old TemplarGFX the brush-off...

What ARE they playing at over there? Pretty soon they'll have hacked off the last remaining supporters of Floperation Gashpoint and there'll just be a few lurkers like me slowing down as we drive past, to watch the ambulances carting the corpses away...

absolutely incredible. Lenton couldn't shuddup enough prior to launch. It launches, people bash it, and Lenton posts a single word. People begging, pleading to fix a few things and want some explanation and input from the publisher..... and a single word get's uttered.

"Nice...."

-----------------------------

Well there you have it fans.... CM's response to months of feedback from the community.... "Nice...."

ROFLMAO

Sounds like being saddened by a fact there's no 'thank you'

maybe that's what they expected instead of begging and pleading

If they did; it must be a paralel reality they live in

But let's be honest, who really expected anything more? They left it for so long without saying anything, they did hardly anything to improve the game, they shunned their community, did you really think Sion was going to come out an explain everything?

CM got their money. They know that it's possible that they could make even more off of a sequel. They don't care anymore about peoples' reactions to DR, or a community of any form, it simply made money, and that's all a corporation that operates like CM sees. These companies will be the death of the gaming industry if people keep buying from such con-artists.

I'm surprised we heard anything from him, actually. I thought CM had already severed its ties with the game and its development team. Unfortunately, it seems that the POS just won't die, largely in part to Templar's efforts, hardly to do with the developers...

lololol

worst game ever

lololol

worst developer ever

lololol