Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

Find it funny to read the CM forums nowadays. The few guys that cling to that shait program are now bickering and fighting with eachother over the smalles things. Typical behaviour when you stayed too long with a girlfriend that sucks. (no pun there cause that would be a good thing) :D

Viiiper

Nicely said, Codemasters said at the beginning this is not a one off and it will be supported, so if you are a betting person... . get your money down for the next one with all the improvements.

I think a more flexible editor will be nice with user implemented content.

I'm sure we will see commitment from the devs.

Major Hoser, PM me with any ideas...

Why does this guy still think CM is going to "support" this game or pull a rabbit out of the proverbial hat to magically make the game bad ass? This guy seriously makes me want to punch babies and throw up in my mouth.

Get your money down for the next one with all the improvements.

I LOLed when I saw this phase:D

Find it funny to read the CM forums nowadays. The few guys that cling to that shait program are now bickering and fighting with eachother over the smalles things. Typical behaviour when you stayed too long with a girlfriend that sucks. (no pun there cause that would be a good thing) :D

roflmao.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Why does this guy still think CM is going to "support" this game or pull a rabbit out of the proverbial hat to magically make the game bad ass? This guy seriously makes me want to punch babies and throw up in my mouth.

ok, reality check. Game took years to develop. Years. Within 30 days of launch it's a dead turkey.

I spoke with several people I know that are distributors and they all said that the initial pre-orders for the game were very low by their standards. (Gamestop). On Xfire, they are 4 places behind BIS by number of players per day, and if you average it, people play Arma2 longer than OFP/DR, so that means that the interest while PLAYING the game is shorter for whatever reason. By the trending, by end of weekend, A2 will be played more on Xfire than DR. And that's with a game that's what 5 months released?

Bottom line, is that the Engine (EGO) is so limited for PC's, that it cannot and will never be able to support open mass warfare. EVER. Unless you script in and out AI, but even then you will never see big battles with mass multiplayer like A2. It is technically impossible for that engine. So these holdouts thinking and holding their breath for some super patch, are stroking themselves. It will take a total re-write of their EGO (pun intended) to even begin to possibly present open warfare even close to A2. But they are so married to that EGO engine, that it won't happen. It would take years, literally to produce just the engine to support it. Nevermind the content.

Dragon Rising is dead as dead will ever be. With BIS releasing nearly a beta patch every week and those patches being very solid, and CM going the opposite direction. The writing is on the wall.

CM lied to the community. The community is what makes ARMA/ARMA2 still very lucrative. A2 is advancing and it's the community / business relationship that makes it strong. CM threw the community out the window.

They missed the opportunity. They went for the money grab out of desperation. They did it well. But for a "masterpiece"? It will never be.

Luhgnut;1494284']roflmao.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

ok' date=' reality check. Game took years to develop. Years. Within 30 days of launch it's a dead turkey.

I spoke with several people I know that are distributors and they all said that the initial pre-orders for the game were very low by their standards. (Gamestop). On Xfire, they are 4 places behind BIS by number of players per day, and if you average it, people play Arma2 longer than OFP/DR, so that means that the interest while PLAYING the game is shorter for whatever reason. By the trending, by end of weekend, A2 will be played more on Xfire than DR. And that's with a game that's what 5 months released?

Bottom line, is that the Engine (EGO) is so limited for PC's, that it cannot and will never be able to support open mass warfare. EVER. Unless you script in and out AI, but even then you will never see big battles with mass multiplayer like A2. It is technically impossible for that engine. So these holdouts thinking and holding their breath for some super patch, are stroking themselves. It will take a total re-write of their EGO (pun intended) to even begin to possibly present open warfare even close to A2. But they are so married to that EGO engine, that it won't happen. It would take years, literally to produce just the engine to support it. Nevermind the content.

Dragon Rising is dead as dead will ever be. With BIS releasing nearly a beta patch every week and those patches being very solid, and CM going the opposite direction. The writing is on the wall.

CM lied to the community. The community is what makes ARMA/ARMA2 still very lucrative. A2 is advancing and it's the community / business relationship that makes it strong. CM threw the community out the window.

They missed the opportunity. They went for the money grab out of desperation. They did it well. But for a "masterpiece"? It will never be.

RED:

I don't know about the whole "took years to develope" statement. You and I know that it didn't take years to produce. To say it took that long is a slap in the face of everyone involved in game development that have actually spent years working on and finally releasing a game.

I guess I'm just so bewildered how this Viiiper guy is saying the naysayers "will have their post dealt with" that makes me wonder how this guy even was allowed to stay as a moderator. He is unable to master the English language, extremely abrasive personality and makes such wild and ridiculous claims that there is a "super patch" in the work that is going to magically going to make everyone come back to the game. Please, someone help me make sense of this type of person that their solid-to-the-core blind following and unending devotion?

Now Helios is deleting negative comments and substituting this run on sentence statement: "**deleted comment off-topic comment intended to derail thread**"

Edited by Hans Ludwig

No talk about moderation allowed, just focus on the game

To bad I'm not talking about "moderation." I think the word you wanted to use was moderate or moderator. I don't have problems with 90 percent of any moderator on any forum; I chose to pick out Viiiper as a poster child of what one shouldn't be and makes the community worse when you have a development staff that seems to use trickery and not-so-honest methods to sale its product.

I know some of you can't stand Sir Polaris; he isn't such a bad guy when you know how to handle him. He is just our misguided, looking for the holy OFP that does not exist, but exist in some limited fashion in Arma2, fanboy. He is entitled to his opinion of Arma2. The funny thing is that he even admitted that he was going to reinstall Arma2 so how much better the current patches have made the game. Maybe CM has given many of a new incite into BIS products? Who knows.

Out of all this crap that CM has created, I do think BIS has a lot to gain from them. You can't deny that CM in an indirect way has actually done more for marketing of Arma2 than they have for their own product. So as much as I hate CM, they have drawn more attention to Arma2. That's the only concession I'll give Consolemasters.

Edited by Hans Ludwig

dragon rising did give alot of publicity to arma2 because so many comparison threads were made, people noticing all the arma2 vs threads that get deleted etc...

that crappy game was probably one of the best things to happen to arma2

unfortunately dragon rising seems to be the turd that just wont flush

dragon rising did give alot of publicity to arma2 because so many comparison threads were made, people noticing all the arma2 vs threads that get deleted etc...

that crappy game was probably one of the best things to happen to arma2

unfortunately dragon rising seems to be the turd that just wont flush

Much like this thread. it will not die.

The release date has long since passed, the game is dieing, if not already dead. Yet a few people still spew hate and bile as if the game was actually good

It is impossible to dispute that DR is full of problems, and that its very core design is flawed. but is it necessary to continually pat our selves on the back and gloat in our (arma II) apparent victory?

We fancy our selves to be the mature, morally superior community, but this just seems to be snobby and out right hateful to still be ragging on this poor tortured soul in its final pitiful gasps. Do the right thing, and just leave it be, let the game slip silently into the night.

Much like this thread. it will not die.

The release date has long since passed, the game is dieing, if not already dead. Yet a few people still spew hate and bile as if the game was actually good

It is impossible to dispute that DR is full of problems, and that its very core design is flawed. but is it necessary to continually pat our selves on the back and gloat in our (arma II) apparent victory?

We fancy our selves to be the mature, morally superior community, but this just seems to be snobby and out right hateful to still be ragging on this poor tortured soul in its final pitiful gasps. Do the right thing, and just leave it be, let the game slip silently into the night.

I agree.

We have won guys. There is such thing as a "sore winner" as well you know ;)

probably because some people not used to cheating called "marketing" and belive in other people's good will

and people who wrote about Arma2 were baned :D

but DR taught me 2 new words in english : epic fail and arbitrary :D

Edited by vilas

To bad I'm not talking about "moderation." I think the word you wanted to use was moderate or moderator.

XT9 auto-correction for the loss.

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Anyways, looks like we all need new enemies to spew bile about.... any ideas?

j/k.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

One last thing I forgot to add.

Completely agree that this is done and dusted. Time to close the thread and move on. Anyone who dislikes Dragon Rising and wants to come try ArmA 2 can come talk to us in the general forums, no reason to talk about DR anymore.

and people who wrote about Arma2 were baned :D

They are in the right track.. keep it up and their forums will be closed due lack of people. Go figure.. :cool:

The funny thing is that he even admitted that he was going to reinstall Arma2 so how much better the current patches have made the game. Maybe CM has given many of a new incite into BIS products? Who knows.

He is full of it, he never uninstalled ArmA 2 just like his prolly posting in these forums under his secret alias :dancehead:

Thanks for pointing the the mouse invert in the demo... Now I can play it properly now. It's been fun. But could the help popup be turn off too?

I dont get the urge to buy the full game though, so I think the demo is enough for me... if only I could get rid that popup hint/message

RED:

I don't know about the whole "took years to develope" statement. [/i]"

Uh, yeah, years....

Burbank, CA - Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - Operation Flashpoint2: Dragon Rising was today announced as the full title for the return of the leading name in modern military simulation gaming. Codemasters also revealed an explosive teaser trailer for the game in its booth (Hall 4, F01) at Games Convention 2007 in Leipzig, Germany. The Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising teaser trailer is now available to view and download from www.codemasters.com/flashpoint2.

Also, consider the fact that the EGO was in development prior to that even. so yes. YEARS.

Luhgnut;1494850']Uh' date=' yeah, years....

Burbank, CA - Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - Operation Flashpoint2: Dragon Rising was today announced as the full title for the return of the leading name in modern military simulation gaming. Codemasters also revealed an explosive teaser trailer for the game in its booth (Hall 4, F01) at Games Convention 2007 in Leipzig, Germany. The Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising teaser trailer is now available to view and download from [url']www.codemasters.com/flashpoint2[/url].

Also, consider the fact that the EGO was in development prior to that even. so yes. YEARS.

And you actually believe what CM says?

Just because x years pass between the announcement of a software package and it's release does not mean that it's actually been in continuous development for all that time. Often they hit a brick wall and have to start from scratch. Take for example Windows Vista. MS started working on a successor to XP after XP was released. There was a gap of five years between the two releases, but the actual product that became Windows Vista was only in development for about two.

Given the promises for OFP DR relative to what was actually delivered, I think it's fair to say that the goalposts were moved more than once.

Is hitting a brick wall and starting from scratch not part of the development process?

And suppose that ArmA 2 shares code with OFP:CWC, or even Poseidon. Does that mean ArmA 2 has been in development since the 90s?

I think it would be clearer to consider a software package in development for as long as that project has had people working on it. Therefore, the EGO project is not the DR project, and the Poseidon project is not the ArmA 2 (or Game 2) project.

Edited by Max Power

Yep, as far as project management gos, the development time is the amount of time spent on the project, but games are usually in development for a fair while before initial announcement, heck, info about flashpoint 2 was leaked long ago, around the same time as first mention of arma 1.

From what I remember, at that time it was mentioned that flashpoint 2 would take place across many continents

Is hitting a brick wall and starting from scratch not part of the development process?

And suppose that ArmA 2 shares code with OFP:CWC, or even Poseidon. Does that mean ArmA 2 has been in development since the 90s?

I think it would be clearer to consider a software package in development for as long as that project has had people working on it. Therefore, the EGO project is not the DR project, and the Poseidon project is not the ArmA 2 (or Game 2) project.

the engine has. My point being they took at least two years almost 3 from concept to launch. No matter what engine they used. Could be new or not, I guess it's besides the point, maybe not heads down banging out code, but they were designing it, and put it on the EGO which is not designed for this type of game. Yeah, you're prolly right, regarding engines, but from the time the said "We're going to do this" on some engine, it's been 2-3 years since it came out of the concept phase and announced that they were developing it.

Then people are waiting for some super patch that's going to make it into OFP with DR up to date graphics etc. It won't nor will ever happen unless they start with a different engine that doesn't cripple the sucker.

I think we agree on the same thing, but approaching it at different angles.

:p:p

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

And you actually believe what CM says?

huh? no that's the official press release that they are a "go" for Dragon Rising. And no I don't believe CM. Never really "liked" their games, they always felt a little "un-finished" or something. And they always seem to just drop a project after it comes out. DR will be the same. Guess it's their business model.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Just because x years pass between the announcement of a software package and it's release does not mean that it's actually been in continuous development for all that time. Often they hit a brick wall and have to start from scratch. Take for example Windows Vista. MS started working on a successor to XP after XP was released. There was a gap of five years between the two releases, but the actual product that became Windows Vista was only in development for about two.

Given the promises for OFP DR relative to what was actually delivered, I think it's fair to say that the goalposts were moved more than once.

yeah, I agree. totally. But what I was saying, they said "ok we're gonna do this. now what engine, or whatever is going to run it." so they had to start pretty early to decide which engine they would use. Create a new one, license one, or use one that's either on the shelf or in development. EGO was already viable (mostly) and they've said many times, that it's the cornerstone of their games. So they were pretty committed to the engine from a business/development standpoint for quite a while. I do believe they conceptualized it pretty good, and that's what they should do, then you either A) create an engine to fulfill the vision, or B) scale your vision into the engine. They picked B. And it bit them. I guess. They prolly broke even I would say. Maybe.

I just noticed something while watching the DR train wreck via their forums. I hope you guys noticed this also and can leave your suggestions on this matter.

With out further ado, please start with the drum roll, I have noticed a lot of the guys that were working on mods have been stating they have signed an "NDA." They also state that CM is working with them and "big things" are going to happen "soon."

What does this all mean? Is this another deceptive trick to make people assume that an SDK or DLC is in the works for the PC crowd? Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting tempted by these rumors. I'm just curious what kind trick does CM have up it's sleeve again?

I would guess CM will patch in the changes made by the AI mod, modding will not be allowable in OFP-DR, an SDK will not be released as the game engine is CM's bread and butter for racing games, they would not want anyone having a good hard look into it.

As for the modders I believe CM has 'one' modder, I know of one other guy that left a while back, no one else actually modded anything, infact one of the mods was a 'hack' that allowed speed hacking in game.

On a side note did anyone see that speed hacking is back after the patch... I can't access the CM forum for a bit but someone showed a tube vid of it.