Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

Is that figure in $ or units? The chart doesn't say and, if it does, I can't find it.

Hm, I found it on a thread in the CM forums where they were comparing MW2's sales to DR's, and the figures were all being tossed around as being monetary, not the number of units. Including those ones that I posted. But I'm not so sure.

The chart says specifically "Total sales".... i take that to mean total number of units sold.

Will be unit sales. MW2 sold around 1.21 million units in the UK alone on release day.

Yeah, even if it is in units, that's still quite a large failure for a company as large as Codemasters, is it not? Especially since that's total sails, not just release day.

...and that thread's been quietly deleted.

Someone opened a poll (not I), titled 'Bis have Codemasters to thank'. The options you could choose were 'Yes, I've already switched from DR to Arma 2' and 'No, I'm sticking with DR'. Over 80% of respondents had chosen the first option when I looked at it.

The person Luhgnut's referring to said that they had been most unimpressed with Arma 2, since it has no large-scale battles involving helicopters or tanks, whilst OFP:DR has near limitless battles on an unrivalled scale.

The character in question has a garish signature claiming that the Grid 2 demo will be the finest moment in the whole history of gaming on the PC. He went on to tell the people who responded to his post that his message 'hadn't caused offence to anyone'.

this is what I posted back....

something in regard to: Well, those are some pretty stiff claims. Let's see what he says is true.

Then sent them to that link. Then followed up with "Obviously you hadn't played more than 2 seconds of Arma2. Nobody will listen to anything you say after that video.

then it was deleted.

If ive read that correctly, thats just under 1 million total unit sales for the PS3 and 360 (any pc figures?). At say $20-50 revenue from each copy sold thats $20-50 million revenue on what are probably fairly low development costs, judging by the poor quality of the game.

As bad as the game is, they probably still turned a profit. Doesnt bode well

If ive read that correctly, thats just under 1 million total unit sales for the PS3 and 360 (any pc figures?). At say $20-50 revenue from each copy sold thats $20-50 million revenue on what are probably fairly low development costs, judging by the poor quality of the game.

As bad as the game is, they probably still turned a profit. Doesnt bode well

uhhh... you haven't been in the video game business. Believe me, profit margins if sold through retail outlets is much much lower. When I worked in a store (about 10-15 years ago) I could buy a single copy of any game at my cost. $12.00 That was what the store paid for it whole sale. Now the wholesalers have to mark it up to even sell it for $12.00 The retailers ahve a large markup if they have a store front, so most of the cost of games goes to the storefront via retail.

I would imagine that the wholesalers marked it up probably 20% so You're looking around $8-$10 a copy going to publisher. Ever wonder why the bargain bins are around $8.00 - $10 bucks? Break even.

Direct to drive and Steam are good options, because you get rid of brick and mortar sales for PC, but the PS and Xbox stuff has to be gone to a store and gotten for the most part.

So a million copies. I find that little inflated in respect to what I've heard from a few major wholesalers I know. Most stores only received 2-3 copies. Everybody wanted MW2. I would hazard probably around $4-$6 Million revenue. Which is peanuts, just look at Blizzard. They make that in a month. Oh BTW... many wholesalers have "buy back" clauses, like Best Buy, they don't buy direct. But their wholesalers guarantee a buy through, meaning if the title doesn't sell, they buy it back after certain many days. It's so Best Buy doesn't care, nor worry what's a hot seller, their money is covered. Ever wonder why Best Buy has so many old titles? The wholesalers want it out there as long as they can. So they don't have to buy it back. So the figures you're seeing is mostly wholesale. Not buy through. The wholesalers moved it, but the the title could be sitting on the shelves.

Believe me, the margins are not that lucrative. Only direct from developer is where the money is, or through a soft middle man like Steam.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

I found this MOST amusing and cute. Link

this guy is all proud because he can make AI spawn and despawn at random on the map. DR community should give him an award. Actually this is what he's providing as his entry into the Intel Mission Competition.

Let's see, how to do this with arma2 editor.

Create squad.

Drag around squad and hit copy.

click your mouse all over the map and hit paste (ctrl-v)

Or, wow, how about putting the Ambient SecOps module and sync to the player? There, you actually have missions/AI as well as reinforcments and support and that takes, hmmmm 10 seconds.

10 seconds and a map full of AI. Or I can spend hours coding LUA with DR.

pathetic.

To think to possibly win a competition to have AI on the map. Hilarious. The height of DR editing. lol... sorry, I just found this funny.

Remember, this is the same guy that couldn't figure out how to get his squad to dismount a vehicle in Arma2 and claims "it's buggy".

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

Yeah, don't see what the fuss is about here.

Despawn?

So that means if you fly over an enemy squad, shoot one guy and keep going, they're all gone? What fun is that? This renders tactical spotting dead.

I don't blame the guy for trying to make the game better but despawning to overcome the entity limit in a tac-shoot is just too lame.

Luhgnut;1501667']I found this MOST amusing and cute. Link

this guy is all proud because he can make AI spawn and despawn at random on the map. DR community should give him an award. Actually this is what he's providing as his entry into the Intel Mission Competition.

Let's see' date=' how to do this with arma2 editor.

Create squad.

Drag around squad and hit copy.

click your mouse all over the map and hit paste (ctrl-v)

Or, wow, how about putting the Ambient SecOps module and sync to the player? There, you actually have missions/AI as well as reinforcments and support and that takes, hmmmm 10 seconds.

10 seconds and a map full of AI. Or I can spend hours coding LUA with DR.

pathetic.

To think to possibly win a competition to have AI on the map. Hilarious. The height of DR editing. lol... sorry, I just found this funny.

Remember, this is the same guy that couldn't figure out how to get his squad to dismount a vehicle in Arma2 and claims "it's buggy".[/quote']

Aww, they're so happy! Who's going to be the one who rains on their parade and then gets shouted at for daring to suggest that DR is in any way inferior to A2?

Yeah, don't see what the fuss is about here.

Despawn?

So that means if you fly over an enemy squad, shoot one guy and keep going, they're all gone? What fun is that? This renders tactical spotting dead.

I don't blame the guy for trying to make the game better but despawning to overcome the entity limit in a tac-shoot is just too lame.

Exactly, you fly over a town, and people pop up. Fly past, they vanish.

There is no tactical. There will never be Warfare (as we call it.). It's a cheap trick. Mostly only used in Arma2 for like oh say, capture a town in a warfare game, and they reinforce and we leave to another town. You can spawn in hundreds of guys, in Arma2. I even did it buy accident. A script I wrote was incorrect, and when I triggered it, it went into a loop, and instantly I had thousands of guys spawning all around me. Pretty funny really. The whole valley was full of guys. So for giggles, I did the same but changed one thing. East Spawn.

Instantly there were a thousands of guys from both sides just blazing away. Before I could even think, the whole map was full of guys. Wish I remembered what I did. I let it run, but within 20 seconds, it was a sea of bodies and men and bullets. Then game crashed.. But at least I had a few hundred (if not thousands possibly) AI.

Anyway, back on subject, everything in DR is a cheap spawn in, despawn trick. You could literally as a mission designer, have an empty town through binocs, looks fine, then when you get close, spawn in a bunch of guys from nowhere. but once you leave, they all despawn.

what a joke.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

What more can you expect from someone who was about to come to ArmA II but was quickly snatched up by CM themselves? They're using someone who's become their community icon (after Sir_Polaris deserted) to continue milking the poor soles who are still thinking CM give a crap. That's what's going on. Only reason he's still supporting DR. Heck, they made him sign a NDA, and I bet he's now working on patches for the game with them. His AI tweaks aren't even that complex, which hints at the inferiority of the developers.

Only reason he's still supporting DR. Heck, they made him sign a NDA, and I bet he's now working on patches for the game with them. His AI tweaks aren't even that complex, which hints at the inferiority of the developers.

CM could easily make those same changes to the game as his "hacks" does, all they need to do is change their values concerning detection range, accuracy etc. they don't need him for that. Like CM gives a shit about him.

Of course they don't. They're making it out to be that way. But he has indeed signed a NDA, and it's incredibly obvious that's the reason he's still supporting the game. I really don't get how you can support it, even if the company is favoring you. It gives you a bad reputation, and forces you to play a game that you know deep-down is just a money grab.

CM could easily make those same changes to the game as his "hacks" does, all they need to do is change their values concerning detection range, accuracy etc. they don't need him for that. Like CM gives a shit about him.

no they don't. What I keep wondering is "why?" Why go though all that headache, and work and so forth, when the game will forever be a cheap nothing? Furthermore, everything that everybody wants is already in Arma2.

No matter what, the hardcap on AI will be there always. That puts a serious serious dent in mission building and scale of what they can do.

People were rightfully hoping and expecting Operation Flashpoint with up to date graphics. They STILL want that. and CM inferred and outright said everything that was in the original is in this game, but better. So they keep baiting people along thinking that POOF magically it will be OFP with DR graphics. It won't, it can't, it's dead.

*Speculative Radio Chatter*

Helo Pilot: "We've got incoming PLA just north of the bridge, intercept and destroy them"

Infantry Fire Team: "Solid Copy. Were on em!"

Helo Pilot: "Thats a negative Solid Mike, we've left the area..."

Infantry Fire Team: "Copy that, erhm next target?"

Helo Pilot: "Stay close to us, real close.Copy?"

Infantry Fire Team: "Oscar Mike! We're despawning and respawning as we speak. Solid Mike out!"

Lol, I just noticed the spike in people playing ArmA II on November 5th. That's when DR was starting to decline. According to Xfire at least. That's not just a coincidence. :p

lol @ the lol tag.

If you notice those xfire stats, there are over 300 more people playing DR for less time. With the inference that people are loading up DR, playing for a few minutes then quitting and wondering why the fuck they bothered.

Think those xfire stats say it all really, even if alot of people dont use xfire (me for one).

Went and got my money back for dragon rising, don't think I have ever seen a games forum have a topic about how best to get your copy refunded lol

EDIT: Lol at the genres for Dragon rising and ARMA2, looking at that you would think A2 was all run and gun :)

Edited by STALKERGB

what would have been epic is if the pilot would have took said lamer out with one shot from a pistol..... that would have been pure ownage :lol:

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Of course they don't. They're making it out to be that way. But he has indeed signed a NDA, and it's incredibly obvious that's the reason he's still supporting the game. I really don't get how you can support it, even if the company is favoring you. It gives you a bad reputation, and forces you to play a game that you know deep-down is just a money grab.

i signed an NDA years back when i was part of HomeLan when i was an admin for the AA servers it really didn't mean a thing to be honest. but i'm sure it does with a con-pany like CM

But he has indeed signed a NDA, and it's incredibly obvious that's the reason he's still supporting the game.

I bet he feels special :p