Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

I think you summed up why I play on consoles. I gave up PC games when they started requiring more than a good graphics card to play. Shelling out over $2,000 just to play a game you can't trade-in, you must be crazy.

However, I have seen the videos on youtube, graphics wise OFP:dr on my 360 beats ArmA on your over priced PC. :nener:

With comments like that i would think ur in kindergarden. Sorry dude but a console looks poor compared to pc.

Check out the Mi-8 and look at rocket pods detail carefully on this screen i took on mid rang graphics.

Now look @ the rocket pod in DR choppers and rest of them

Mi-8MTV3.JPG

Edited by vasmkd
fixed pic placement

Personally I think the graphics on Pokemon for Gameboy are much more advanced than both games, and Pokemon is also the ultimate mil-sim.... think about it.

:headscratch: I don't get it. :headscratch:

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

@vasmkd

That's ARMAII isn't it?

@360 player

Yes thats ARMA2, why? were u comparing to ARMA1?

Edited by vasmkd

templargfx theres quite a few aussie servers being active all the time too. Some are pubs you can drop into and play not so serious, theres other servers for more serious play. OGN is one, they have TS server, address on there forum. Domination and Evolution are gamemodes for the not so serious but it is quite serious gameplay compared to other games.

DR choppers HAVE rocket pods!? lol

friggin hilarious, I havent played the ARMA2 demo since before I got OFP DR. just played it again now. and it was friggin awesome :)

its amazing what playing a unfinished game will do to your perspective of another similar game. I was contstantly thinking, hey look, I can actually do this. or this actually works. ooh I can lean. oooh I can dive to the floor. ooh I can fight for my life when im incapacitated. ooh I look down the sights and FOCUS in. LOL

Im going to buy ARMA2 now

And u can be assured ARMA2 will only get better and there are so many mods and addons to come, very bright future here

Be good to have u aboard, also i'm pretty sure the cheapest is at http://www.cdwow.com.au/games/ARMA-2-PC/dp/120043#bc=d90d , i got mine from there and ships within 24hrs now

44.95 and free delivary

Edited by vasmkd

friggin hilarious, I havent played the ARMA2 demo since before I got OFP DR. just played it again now. and it was friggin awesome :)

its amazing what playing a unfinished game will do to your perspective of another similar game. I was contstantly thinking, hey look, I can actually do this. or this actually works. ooh I can lean. oooh I can dive to the floor. ooh I can fight for my life when im incapacitated. ooh I look down the sights and FOCUS in. LOL

Great you're getting the game!

I will be organising a coop event with ~40-50 players for all AU/NZ players (mainly people from clans). You are welcome to join us :)

Finally!!!:jump_clap::ok:

Ill be getting ARMA2 through steam. I buy all my games through steam nowadays, not because steam is cool (I actually hate steam) but it means if I go my parents, I dont need to bother taking a disc and installing it. I just run steam :P

once purchased Ill post in the proper forums :P

NICE ONE MATE. I SAID THE DEMO WOULD BE GOOD GIVEN THE CHANCE ;)

bloody caps lock!

just come out of ofp dr demo..... sorry conmasters but its not 1/4 the game A2 is

I think you summed up why I play on consoles. I gave up PC games when they started requiring more than a good graphics card to play. Shelling out over $2,000 just to play a game you can't trade-in, you must be crazy.

However, I have seen the videos on youtube, graphics wise OFP:dr on my 360 beats ArmA on your over priced PC. :nener:

Listen, i see no purpose in arguing. In fact i am completely placid about your tongue-in-cheek taunting.

Heres the thing. While you can get a second hand PC or even new built for well under $2000 if you know what youre doing (i can find a good machine for $400AU, that will handle all modern games through other enthusiasts forums) you are absolutely right that consoles (at least untill the recent reliability issues such as Red Ring of Death issues) are a much simpler, 'fire and forget' gaming solution. Theres no controversy here, if you dont have the time, wherewithal or energy to commit to keeping everything running then console is the way to go.

However, us PC players DO have the best hardware owing to the effort we put in, and we also happen to be able to play and compare PC games such as Arma 2 or Crysis against multi-platform titles such as OFP: DR.

I can understand you have no choice, since Arma 2 is not on consoles (would be nice if it was) but it is silly to be unrealistic about it. Dragon Rising does not look as good as Arma 2, not even close. You wouldnt even know, since by your own admission you have not played it (merely watched videos, and the way you write, it shows). However ive played Arma 2 extensively, and the Dragon Rising Demo. I know which looks more pleasing to my eye.

Dragon Rising has got a weird field of view, the textures and models are second rate as are the natural environments, and its got a very strange and overdone lighting. It doesnt particularly bother me about either game however, since both look considerably worse then something like Crysis (now THAT is impressive graphics), although Arma 2 does look more 'real' then that game (but far inferior engine to Crysis).

What DOES bother me is all the little details that Dragon Rising gets wrong, and the blatant way in which CM has conducted its business. This should bother everyone

Personally I think the graphics on Pokemon for Gameboy are much more advanced than both games, and Pokemon is also the ultimate mil-sim.... think about it.

Lol! Only just noticed this gem!

Great you're getting the game!

I will be organising a coop event with ~40-50 players for all AU/NZ players (mainly people from clans). You are welcome to join us :)

If you dont mind my asking, when would this event be?

Edited by irR4tiOn4L

i just left my synphosis on the dr demo over at cm forum, and i think i was as fair as i could be. i gave the demo 2 hours of my time, basically got bored with it. so whoever it was that sent me in this direction i owe a drink to. i'm really glad my better half booked as early as she usually does when she bought me dr for my b'day, it gave me chance to read up on some forums to find out what its really like, but then in all honesty.... one mans hate could be another mans pleasure. but i have come to learn in my (almost)39 years on this planet...learn from others mistakes.

i took advice to take the game back and i did, this was a few days after i got the demo for A2 which swung it for me anyway. then lastnight i clock the demo link for dr, so i created an account with steam and downloaded it.

its at best a consol game, graphics are good it runs ultra smooth (due to it being consol) but it lacks soul and depth. not the sort of thing i would want taking room on my HDD i'm afraid.

overall rating? 5/10

if i had no choice and i had installed the game which makes it a little late to return or swap. i think i would still play A2 demo over the full dr game. tbh i'd play the demo over any other game these days.

Edited by Colt45_GTO

@Colt45 GTO

"overall rating? 5/10"

I gave him 4/10, and I played DR full game + some money lost + feeling that I was lied. I have 33 years, and I am ashamed to be seen by someone (with same age) playing DR, I will donate the game to a 10 years child.

you are wrong, look at Arma2: General : Screens topic

and check screens

concerning 2000 USD to play game, hm... i think strong home PC is 1000 max ?

PC has also many other roles in home so it is universal

if you play console, you miss (or you not need) many other things

Arma/OFP offers much much more possibilities than default missions

if you knew what are addons , mission editor and etc, than you would find real sense of Arma

you know , one man buys shelf, table - other buys drill, some wood and make in home furniture himself as he want, for his needs etc.

when you go ONLY home-school - city transport is enough, when you must visit many other places, you need car, simply

the same with games, if you only know gaming of "ready products" you miss "customizable stuff, own creativity and etc."

simply you not know what you are missing or you have low level of needs (such people also exist as customers of pop-stuff , simply we are not like them)

if you think you win, it is your problem :P

we know what fun and possibilities for years of fun we have, you will play 20 times the same mission and purchase another game and another

count yourself your year spendings on games for console and compare it to A2 price ;)

you are not bored when you can only play few missions from game ?

you are not bored with limitation of console games ?

Edited by vilas

Is the demo Steam Only ? I don't have steam and I'm not too keen on installing it...

I want o try the demo to... but steam make me a bit worried... do I need to be worried?

no steam is pretty harmless.

Is the demo Steam Only ? I don't have steam and I'm not too keen on installing it...

yes its steam only. i was always the same with steam until lastnight, i had to install to try the demo.

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

you are wrong, look at Arma2: General : Screens topic

and check screens

concerning 2000 USD to play game, hm... i think strong home PC is 1000 max ?

PC has also many other roles in home so it is universal

if you play console, you miss (or you not need) many other things

Arma/OFP offers much much more possibilities than default missions

if you knew what are addons , mission editor and etc, than you would find real sense of Arma

you know , one man buys shelf, table - other buys drill, some wood and make in home furniture himself as he want, for his needs etc.

when you go ONLY home-school - city transport is enough, when you must visit many other places, you need car, simply

the same with games, if you only know gaming of "ready products" you miss "customizable stuff, own creativity and etc."

simply you not know what you are missing or you have low level of needs (such people also exist as customers of pop-stuff , simply we are not like them)

if you think you win, it is your problem :P

we know what fun and possibilities for years of fun we have, you will play 20 times the same mission and purchase another game and another

count yourself your year spendings on games for console and compare it to A2 price ;)

you are not bored when you can only play few missions from game ?

you are not bored with limitation of console games ?

think you missed a point here bud.......

the guy uses a pc to access the forums so for the price of a consol he could throw a bit more ram in, a bigger processor and a vid card ;)

It's like an ostrich sticking its head in the sand.

I hope you end up joining the real OFP community (real because it was born here) and end up with us in ARMAII.

Abs

The Ostrich is nature's most accomplished coward- lacking even the bravery to run away.

Welcome templargfx :)

You will soon if not already discover that this community is something special you only rarely find. This community is filled with very helpful people :cool:

When ya get arma 2, some things to keep in mind.

First, if you don't like the blur while moving, disable post processing.

Second, if you want your weapon standard fps style (stuck in the middle of the screen), turn aim floating point (something like that) down.

Last but not least, if the mouse feels like it's dragging a bit, force v-sync off at driver profile, (or use nHancer) and/or disable anti-aliasing (think it's only my card that doesn't like AA, but it doesn't like it in any game)

plus, as of patch 1.04 you can turn mouse smoothing down/off in options

If you dont mind my asking, when would this event be?

Soon. When the mission is ready ;)

I'll be posting the details in all major AU/NZ arma clans and game server forums. Plus of course my own (see sig).

When ya get arma 2, some things to keep in mind.

First, if you don't like the blur while moving, disable post processing.

one of the first things I did in the demo

Second, if you want your weapon standard fps style (stuck in the middle of the screen), turn aim floating point (something like that) down.

one of the second things I did in the demo

Last but not least, if the mouse feels like it's dragging a bit, force v-sync off at driver profile, (or use nHancer) and/or disable anti-aliasing (think it's only my card that doesn't like AA, but it doesn't like it in any game)

forced it off before I even started the demo

this aint my first rodeo ;)

so whoever it was that sent me in this direction i owe a drink to.

I think it was me (Gunner McDagget) and a few others that forced you.. .I mean, that lead you in this direction, but just in case you better buy beers for everyone on the forums

Whoever said DR graphics are better than Arma2.

Fact: DR has only one tree model on the whole island. Repopulated thousands of times. They don't even rotate the tree. Every tree is indestructible and and is the same size. Clones maybe?

Fact: Island is void of any buildings larger than a couple of huts.

Fact: There is only one cluster model of rocks, repopulated thousands of times on the island at different depths.

Fact: Particle effects are not particles in DR. Smoke is a 2D rendered graphic that rotates as you turn. There is no "volume" of air moving in any explosions in DR. You don't see dust clouds blowing out from around explosions.

Color pallet is washed down with a color overlay mask. That's why the colors look funny. I believe in that they developed the game with a vibrant color pallet, then saw that it slowed the game down, so they did a 20% opaque color mask to make it render faster. It's a cheap trick.

Character Models are the same. The marines and Chinese have the same body with nearly the same uniform with a slight change in tone for the Chinese pushed a little brighter. People have even complained on CM forums that they can't tell the difference between US and Chinese forces.

Vehicle models, don't have as high a polycount as Arma2.

CM claims a 35km view range. Well, if I narrow the FOV to 60 Degrees like they have (tunnel vision) populate the island with the same trees and rocks and wash the color pallet, then give you basically the same character model. NO doubt. It's all a trick.