889 members have voted

1. 1. What do you like?

• Jungle, seas, islands
    • Mountains, rivers, lakes, forests
    • Big residental areas
    • Snow lands
    • Alien worlds, fantasy
    • Deserts and rocky areas

As far as the "Real World" goes, I agree with Sushjake... A reduced scale Cyprus would make a great "Malden/Mediterranean-style" island.

Yep, another vote for Mediterranean.

A snow map and a desert map. I can wait until OA for Takistan, but I need Snoooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww!

I would like to see a map with a realistic border, and two main-bases on each side in the rear, away from the border itself. And along the border on one side (defending nation) prefixed static FOB's, and on the invader's side: Away out of sight of the border, prefixed temporary camps used as staging area (building up forces.)

All bases and camps should have defensive positions aimed 360 degrees around the locations, being placed on the map by the creator.

Main bases are ofcourse heavier fortified and defended then the local FOB's and camps.

Perhaps, if possible, make the border sit on the banks of a river, that one can blow-up bridges to trying to deny the enemy a rapid offensive advance into their own territory.

Map should be something like 15 km² radius, to keep things interesting for players who do not want to drive for 30+ minutes to reach their designated target area.

I also would like to see the two main-bases near to/in the nations capital city, and some villages spreaded accross the map, mostly situated along a river and/or highway, and much more rural area's away from the highway and river. The highway should have a realistic checkpoint just as any other road crossing the border, except for the most rural border crossings: These can have a border sign on both sides of the border, and having a patrol-road/path and watch towers on both sides.. One can also place a solid border. Fences on rural area's, and high beton-walls in villages, just like the Berlin Wall.

Also on both sides of the border, I would like to see siege-lines for those who like "trench war" directly looking into the direction of the border itself.

It should be clear to notice that both nations have mobilized their forces, and a war is imminent. Fortified positions in towns and villages near the border should not be forgotten.

A main highway across the map linking the two major capital cities together, and it should be the highway where the heaviest border-defences should be put up, complete with checkpoints and stuff, same goes for local roads crossing the border, variating from a controlled checkpoint on asfalt road, to a mere sign stating that one is crossing the border. (everything should be done for both sides of the border.)

Along the highway, villages should appear, as it is a vital lifeline for both nations. Think of something like the Soviet advance into Fulda Gap, Western Germany.

Let roads be useful according to their type and direction. Border should be well defended by static force positions pre-placed on both sides.

Thanks for reading, and i hope to have inspired somebody, 'cause i am not a map-maker, i cannot create terrain myself..

Edited by Thani '82
Forgot to add a few things to it.

Damn UNA-Roy, did you snatch a beta of my Isla Duala, it looks like you're describing the most of it? :)

Moderator: please add "Deserts and rocky areas" to the poll!

Edited by IceBreakr

i too back up UNA-Roy! when i read that i automaticly thought about what i described..the helmand province afgan! and i too like how UNA-Roy described the fobs and borders, it would make for any good afgan map! as my cusin tells me daliy how there always under attack...then have to hurry up and counter attack\catch before the insurgents get past the border!

Isla Duala (name comes from Duality, like island split into two countries and with war imminent) is exactly what UNA-Roy described, I even have 2 capitals. Map is tropical with a lot of undergrowth (bushes) but the inside of the "continent" is desert-like with rocks. Highway goes right through the map, but I didn't put river along the entire border, just dried up riverbed, but mines can be placed there, although "jezek" barricades stop tanks anyhow. So basically you can roll tanks through only on couple of "checkpoints". Map is suitable for all out war or specops actions that you play out with LRPs or quickly stealth approach via air. Rural areas have farms and couple of villages, but bigger towns are all located where the highway is.

Majority of Duala is "savannah", but there are placed where think jungle is (and all the ammo depots and storages) and also only sand areas where snipers, ATs and armor rule.

wow sounds perfect! please keep working on that map! man the ideas for missions are endless! also ill make and release this time, a very nicely and realistic fob\base's template for it too! just like the one for the razani map i made(but never released, maby i do that soon if ppl like want it)! may i send u some pics of fobs...i have? so if u add the bases you have some good references to build realistic fobs\bases, also i think i could build some nice bases so if you may need my help im here! good luck!!!

does your "island duala" contain at least 1 big city(big big big)?

I want a huge mega-city. Like New York or something.

Aelin: define big, Paraiso/Avgani like? I don't make cities that have non-entrable houses, thats unrealistic and I leave that for BIS (Chernarus is a big dissapointment due to closed buildings imho) and other authors.

I want a huge mega-city. Like New York or something.
b00ce,

Sizes like that filled with let's say buildings alone, would cause huge amounts of lag. You may wish of course, but i don't think this will be possible on an earlier date then the day Arma 20 is released. ;)

IceBreakr: Nice to hear you're working on a map like that.

Take your time until you feel you're completely done with it, and kick some bugs butt! :p

yes like avgani.But why do you need to make all buildings enterable?just 1 on 10 in a big city will works fine.Another things:have you seen the grozny battle?that's what I mean(I miss this kind of fight a lot in arma 2).

thanks for your patience

Snow island!

Wide open fields with some trees and wodden fences, marking the borders of fields.

A2_Winter_Island_001.jpg

Some farm buildings here and there.

A2_Winter_Island_002.jpg

Small to medium sized forests(with deer inside)

A2_Winter_Island_003.jpg

A2_Winter_Island_004.jpg

And a half frozen lake.

A2_Winter_Island_005.jpg

MfG Lee *xmas smilie here* (damned 5 images limit...)

yes like avgani.But why do you need to make all buildings enterable?just 1 on 10 in a big city will works fine.Another things:have you seen the grozny battle?that's what I mean(I miss this kind of fight a lot in arma 2).

thanks for your patience

We'll see what Operation Arrowhead will bring to us.

They said they would optimize the engine even further, adding new features to the game. But Arma 2 would be patched in the end, after OA has been released. Perhaps a few less addons to play with, but engine wise new things would be possible for Arma 2 aswell as for OA.

And seeing that OA will add an 70 km² urbanized map to the series, dense urban combat is to be expected i suppose..:)

Perhaps Bush Wars mod might release Arma 2 content?

Would be fun to take the savanna's in a reskinned Operation Arrowhead T-55 tank! From what I know (speculating though) OA has two standing armies: US army, and a Takistan faction's armed force, be it Insurgents, or something else.. But I think it will depict a third world army, with Soviet build hardware in use.:cool:

Edited by Thani '82

Snow island!

Wide open fields with some trees and wodden fences, marking the borders of fields.

http://lee.plankton.ch/A2_Winter_Island_001.jpg

Some farm buildings here and there.

http://lee.plankton.ch/A2_Winter_Island_002.jpg

Small to medium sized forests(with deer inside)

http://lee.plankton.ch/A2_Winter_Island_003.jpg

http://lee.plankton.ch/A2_Winter_Island_004.jpg

And a half frozen lake.

http://lee.plankton.ch/A2_Winter_Island_005.jpg

MfG Lee *xmas smilie here* (damned 5 images limit...)

OMG it would be awesome if half-frozen lakes weren't marked, or you didn't see the markings, and you fell through the ice and your squadmates had to pull you out. Epic.

Sizes like that filled with let's say buildings alone, would cause huge amounts of lag. You may wish of course, but i don't think this will be possible on an earlier date then the day Arma 20 is released.

Have you tried PMC 51km Desert in ArmA and checked out the second largest city with modern buildings (I think its city 34)?

While I understand you replied to New York city wish, its still good to understand that ArmA and most likely ArmA 2 will handle large cities just fine.

Probably the closest poll i have seen on these forums lol

I chose Mountains, rivers, lakes, forests

I would really like to see 3 decent airports for Russia/insurgents, CDF and USMC

and a big lake somewhere

Snow would be my second choice and and with all the goodies i mentioned

Have you tried PMC 51km Desert in ArmA and checked out the second largest city with modern buildings (I think its city 34)?

While I understand you replied to New York city wish, its still good to understand that ArmA and most likely ArmA 2 will handle large cities just fine.

I agree with you, except for those uber-large maps filled to the brim with massive forests, clutter, rocks, cities, etc.. Then again, I think Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead and beyond can handle large cities even better then Arma or Arma 2.. Or atleast, I hope it does..:teeth:

None too original I guess but I'd look to real-world hot spots like Somalia...

Villa%20Somalia.jpg

..or Gaza:

rafah_gaza.jpg

i want a island with a big rolling farmland with some bigger (not huge) mountains, big forrests, maybe a couple of swamps...

one bigger town with factories, harbor, airstrip/airbase and so on...

some mining facilities in the mountain parts, saw mills, fishing camps, larger farms and smaller villages..

a river and/or some lakes...

ruins not needed..

as long as it has great atmosphere you can add pretty much what you like, but you must have a thought with everything you place... "is it resonable that anyone has built a house/road here", "does it make sense to put a trashcan here"...

small details with a thought makes for a greater feeling then just about everything else...

and do NOT make some roads and throw out a few buildings around it and call it a "village".. that´s just crap imho..

98% of the islands have that type of object placement.

for me, Panthera is not a good example of a good island...

i dont get a "feeling" there...

it doesnt feel real to me...

rather take a look at the various FDF mod islands...

like Podaga for ArmA 1, that is probably one of the best islands i have tried...

they have really thought about how they have placed things...

my suggestion is, go out in the real world and look at how buildings, mail boxes, dumpsters and other things are placed...

take pictures, make drawings...

and then use it for your island...

THEN you have the potential for a mind blowing island/world...

and DONT rush it....

if you cant figure out what to do in a part of the island, move to a different area and make something there....

and do NOT mix spruce forests, djungle and desert, it does NOT make sense...

that is my advise...

follow it and im sure you´ll make a gem...

the_shadow: lol, Panthera is actually based on a real world location with more than 2000 photos taken that were put in consideration in over than 5 months of work ;) thats all I have to say :)

I'll also stop a work on Isla Duala for a short time since I got a few in-squad tips I'm making a "gamer" island and not a "simulation" one, whatever that means... but guess what, I don't have time to spend another 6 months on a new project based on RL (road network, structures, vegetation etc.), hopefully others will have it. Desert & jungle were added for the gameplay, thats the only reason. If you don't like - simple, don't visit em :)

On the other hand, yes, Podaga looks great but we only did couple of squadnights on it. I only wish there would be more settlements on it inc. farms in between two towns.

Edited by IceBreakr