889 members have voted

1. 1. What do you like?

• Jungle, seas, islands
    • Mountains, rivers, lakes, forests
    • Big residental areas
    • Snow lands
    • Alien worlds, fantasy
    • Deserts and rocky areas

Grub thanks for all the hard work ;) I'll maybe do couple of references to it in the new Duala ;)

Afghan relatively low on detail? Thats one of the harsh terrains man can face: rocks, formations, mud, sand, bush, trees, snow, high mountains... tell that to Nicholas Bell thats working on Razani and spent months already :)

I personally would like to see Helmand Region to recreate the missions from all the books I read about 3 Para and such.

Besides, Australia is in production and we all wait for that.

There's certain technical reasons why doing an entire country is difficult - not least the sheer enormity of making a 20x20km or bigger map (fortunately there's a whole team working on Australia, or it'd be 2012 before we saw it)... when you compress the region, you compress the horizontal scale - you have to compress the vertical scale too - or everything gets wildly out of proportion,,,

For example, in my (not the whole country but about 4/5ths of it) Scotland map I'm working on I've compressed a territory over 200miles wide into 20km wide... in that area the highest peak is over 1300m, with not far off 300 other mountain peaks of 1000m or more... The Scottish highlands look ridiculous enough in real life - it really IS an endless series of 1000m peaks - seperated by mile-or-less wide deep glens... however - scale that to 20x20km and those glens are now 100m or less wide! - instead of a small road with a field or two on either side in that glen, ramping up to huge mountains on either side, theres barely enough width left for a road! - and if I left the peaks at 1000m - its like a road between two huge sheer skyscraper cliffs! - so - to stay even vaguely in proportion, my Scotland "micro-terrain" currently has it's highest peak @ under 300m - and even then it looks "exaggerated"... to be more correctly in scale I'd need to drop the highest peak to about 130m - which reduces the highlands of scotland to a series of low hills - not good...

@ a max height of 300m it's a CQB - with hills instead of buildings - environment! :)

"low on detail"... hmm... well yesterday I was out driving in one of the areas covered by my map... we took the (only) road across the moor from Thurso to Wick (extreme north of Scotland, for those who don't know the area - not that far from the famous "John O'Groats")... within minutes of leaving the small town of Thurso and heading out along the Wick road we were surrounded by..... nothing! Seriously... nothing!

Theres the occasional tumble of stones that used to be crofts before The Clearances, the occasional bird... but apart from that... nothing... No trees can live there, no people want to... it isn't used for farming (nearly 200" of rain a year and full in the teeth of the atlantic cyclone front)... there a single road and NOTHING else for 50 miles or more in every direction... just low, tough grass and heather, and the very occasional insanely hardy gorsebush in a sheltered spot... And that's a civilised bit!!! - you can tell - there IS a road! - most of Caithness there aren't even any of them! - just endless sub-arctic "tundra" in every direction as far as the eye can see, and no indication of human habitation or even presence whatsoever...

That's fairly good news for the solo mapmaker faced with 20kmx20km to fill! - but it DOES make for kindof boring terrain, so you're forced into a sortof Zen-like less-is-more situation... "there's only 12 rocks in this square kilometer - but by God they're well-placed rocks!"

"low on detail"?? - Be careful what you wish for! :D

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Panthera is very close to RL terrain but I had problems too since its ~1:6 scale. If I would do 50x50 terrain I would be done by when A3 is out :) now I'll focus on terrains around 10x10 that are fun for coops and PvP/TvT engagements such as Warfare and AAS.

Just a little request for any potential new islands:

I think it would be neat if a map had a "US embassy" style compound on it, with big fences and guard towers, etc. This would be cool because you could have the USMC defend it, or have a situation where tensions were building in some foreign country and spec ops came in to get people out. Just my 2 cents

Just a little request for any potential new islands:

I think it would be neat if a map had a "US embassy" style compound on it, with big fences and guard towers, etc. This would be cool because you could have the USMC defend it, or have a situation where tensions were building in some foreign country and spec ops came in to get people out. Just my 2 cents

Or better yet, how about a "U.S. suburb" style map with buildings and houses that actually look like they belong in the U.S. (not eastern Europe:rolleyes:). I think it would be awesome and lead to some great "red dawn" style missions... especially with vilas' Project '85 mod.

It would probably be extremely difficult however because of the amount of custom buildings and objects that would have to be made in order for it to work. Perhaps someday, someone will take on the challenge...:(

Or better yet, how about a "U.S. suburb" style map with buildings and houses that actually look like they belong in the U.S. (not eastern Europe:rolleyes:). I think it would be awesome and lead to some great "red dawn" style missions... especially with vilas' Project '85 mod.

It would probably be extremely difficult however because of the amount of custom buildings and objects that would have to be made in order for it to work. Perhaps someday, someone will take on the challenge...:(

This for the love of god.

I want to play some World in Conflict style missions :P

AnimalMother92: about the embassy, check out Panthera's 2.31 southern town of New Skooma. There is a nice compound based on US Army's TDG mission and it even has a private beach ;)

I'm playing a lot of Risen now (latest installment of "Gothic games world" from Piranha Bytes) and there are really nice buildings for a seaside town. It would be lovely if a talented person would create new building packs we can use for new islands :)

I feel kinda bad putting BIS buildings on Duala with tropical/desert theme, they just don't fit.

I'd like to try some urban warfare. This is something operation arrowhead will have an I honestly can't wait to play arma 2 in an arabian setting.

I just posted this into the addon request thread, but maybe it's actually more appropriate here. Can the moderators please delete whichever post is in inappropriate place (not wanting to double-post :) )

This was actually proposed by somebody else in the original OFP forums back in 2002 or ´03, but I don't think it was ever realized. So I thought I'd toss it back into play for ArmaII

A map containing several well known landmarks as well as some generic environments and/or objects would be of great use to mission makers wanting to include cinematic cutscenes. Also movie makers could use such an island.

The island itself wouldn't have to be too complicated or big. It could perhaps even be square shaped, but big enough that each landmark could be viewed without interfering objects in the background. No actual missions would be played in the island (altough nothing would prevent such, if one wished to ). Instead, the landmarks would be used as dramatic scenery for cutscenes to show mounting political tension etc.

Examples of landmarks could include, but not be limited to:

-United Nations HQ Building, NY, USA

-The Thames House building, London, UK (HQ of the MI5)

-Kremlin and the Red Square, Moscow, Russia

-Pentagon building

-CIA HQ in Langley, Virginia

-Cathedral of St. Vitus and Vysehrad castle, Prague, Czech Republic

-European human rights court in Strasbourgh

The island could also include a number of more generic interior and exterior "sets", eg. a conference room, a holding/interrogation cell, a cheap hotel room, missile silo exterior (with opening blast doors!), an underground train station, international airport terminal, bank vault, secret government lab, Hangar 13 at area 51, the oval office etc. You get the idea

The island would also include several different urban and rural environments for exterior shots. Having all these on one map would ease cutscene capturing immensely. For perfection, a copy of the island could be created as a twin map, but with ruined versions of the land marks mentioned above.

I'd like to try some urban warfare. This is something operation arrowhead will have an I honestly can't wait to play arma 2 in an arabian setting.

I'm working on an urban map using currently.. But I'm having issues with roads that is delaying things.. Screenshots are here: http://antspace.wranga.com.au/gallery.html

We gotta think big, here's a short video what terrains are possible to do with todays top tools (for example Vue 8 Infinite):

http://vimeo.com/6711875

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_8_infinite/

I guess I'll be stuck with making of new satmaps for the next few weeks - from the scratch ;) screw crappy google low res stuff ;)

Edited by IceBreakr

@dialektiikka

I´m exactly with you, mate. Something like New York, London or Munich would be just awesome :)

I feel kinda bad putting BIS buildings on Duala with tropical/desert theme, they just don't fit.

exactly my fear:(

but what about caa1 buildings?

Aelin: CAA1 is for me a great project, but I cannot release a 100mb island and then ask the user to download additional 2gb+ file just to use it :)

So I take A1 buildings and repack the ones that I use. You can use my ibr_plants.pbo (feel free to pack it along with proper credits). I'll also create one more pbo for that "South Sahrani" feel that I need for my Africa project.

I would love to see a winter map and a jungle map, both heavily forested.

red square lenin tomb kremlin wall wooooooooooooooooooooooo will mazy sovit generals

Hi evryone

I think nice will be to see Mumbai or some big cities. offices, slums train stations

In Arma 2 we dont have many urban areas.

Im feed up east europe :rolleyes:

You have to understand that BIS used a very limited number of buildings for A1 and A2. With these assets its almost impossible to make a realistic town you guys are decribing. It takes not only a mapmaker a hefty amount of time to put it together but also 1-2 guys that have to make this kind of objects (possibly the ones you can enter).

You have to understand that BIS used a very limited number of buildings for A1 and A2. With these assets its almost impossible to make a realistic town you guys are decribing. It takes not only a mapmaker a hefty amount of time to put it together but also 1-2 guys that have to make this kind of objects (possibly the ones you can enter).

I think the reference must be avgani:big city with 1 main road and quarters,the rest of the map occupied by connection roads and plain/hills just to set invasion forces.enterable buildings just 1 on 10.industrial areas have to be avoided like plague!!!they miss the point:we need someone who has the courage to reproduce the modern fight in cities(many videos on youtube:grozny,mogadiscio,beirut,etc).

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

I forgot to mention another big lack of arma2 towns...plazas!!they are crucial points in all urban fights..we need huge plazas...

I'm currently building a 1kmx1km urban map using only the stock assets and I've got to agree with you here.. The lack of different buildings has led to a lot of work to stop things looking the same too much. I'm no modeller, so it's all stock and that's part of the challenge. I've created a bit of a backstory for my map, which explains some of the weird clashes in architecture.

I think the reference must be avgani:big city with 1 main road and quarters,the rest of the map occupied by connection roads and plain/hills just to set invasion forces.enterable buildings just 1 on 10.industrial areas have to be avoided like plague!!!they miss the point:we need someone who has the courage to reproduce the modern fight in cities(many videos on youtube:grozny,mogadiscio,beirut,etc).

I forgot to mention another big lack of arma2 towns...plazas!!they are crucial points in all urban fights..we need huge plazas...

Ahh, Plazas, the one thing missing from my urban map. This gives me further inspiration! As I mentioned above, it's been hard to avoid too much repetition, and plaza's are the perfect answer - an a way. My map has one of those dreaded industrial areas, however, it's been designed with combat in mind. There's also a large park, but that may yet become a housing estate.

Definitely snow lands, but moutains,rivers,forests are also very welcome