Sign in to follow this  
hollow point

Why cant it sound like this?

I agree that the feeling of shooting is a bit off. I have had the pleasure of firing many different guns in saudi. when you fire a rifle it is an event. doesnt feel like this in arma 2. I still remember how much the MP5SD stung my eyes!

That's a very good idea ! I like it.

Thanks, now we need an talented addon maker to realise such effect!

Found a video with sound effects someone created for several games, it looks like ArmA2 is the only game without such effects.

MfG Lee ;)

Nice video, but the ww2 guy missed the best ww2 game soundwise: MOH Airborne.

MOH:Airborne Recording the weapons

MOH:Airborne C47 Audio capture

Still got the game, it's great. On hard it's quite a challenge. :)

Games can only get so realistic unfortunately. Even if they go out into the field and record live weapons fire, the audio microphones don't have one thing that we humans do: Eardrums. Recorded sounds are ALWAYS different from what the human actually hears. I'm sure there are guys here that know what I'm talking about. When they add things like the ringing in the ears, that means your soldier/marine/whatever isn't wearing ear protection. If you want audio realism, after a while EVERYTHING you hear is muffled becuase of all the weapons fire, and after a while it feels like your being punched in the ears from machine gun fire.

Games can only get so realistic unfortunately. Even if they go out into the field and record live weapons fire, the audio microphones don't have one thing that we humans do: Eardrums. Recorded sounds are ALWAYS different from what the human actually hears. I'm sure there are guys here that know what I'm talking about. When they add things like the ringing in the ears, that means your soldier/marine/whatever isn't wearing ear protection. If you want audio realism, after a while EVERYTHING you hear is muffled becuase of all the weapons fire, and after a while it feels like your being punched in the ears from machine gun fire.

So very true..

watch this at 1:13 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbevxMfchNw&feature=related

That's what the microphone captures when m16a1 fires. it sounded very differently IRL...

though maybe that's just a crappy audio recorder. it was 1983 afterall

It would be better if your hear those real muffled sounds like you hear it with earprotection instead of those hollywood/remastered sounds. On the other hand some people would cry and moan if they dont hear such pimp'd sounds. ;)

Matter of time and money on the dev side and on the customer side the soundcard/audiosystem. And between both the OS and soundcard driver.

Ear protection could also be a feature for a "military simulator".

Put in your ear protection and you hear everything muffled, like in real life.

Don't use them and get deaf after some minutes in battle, like in real life.

Hmm, I should sell my ideas to a game company...

MfG Lee ;)

It would be very easy to replicate ear protection, a simple EQ change would do it, you would only need to roll of the higher frequencies and wham everything is muffled.

Im no coder, but I imagine it wouldnt be very hard to do.

That's a very good idea ! I like it.

I wonder why i haven't thought that before. It could easily programmed to a game. Only firegfights would be much harder with kick back bopping but more fun i think.

but the human eye doesn't "shake". If you're driving a car down a bumpy road, your vision doesn't move up and down...it stays focused on one spot (to a point of course). When I shoot at the range the gun and my body move from the kickback; but it doesn't jerk my vision around. IMO having your view jerk every time you fired would get real old real fast

but anyways back OT, I still think the sounds are pretty damn good in the stock game. The only think I don't like are the bullet cracks (which are way louder) and only one explosion sound. But then of course there's sound mods that fix those problems ;)

Edited by No Use For A Name

ARMA 2 has a crappy software based shitty horrible sound engine, if you can even call it one

its ulikely were going to see sounds that match real life sound 100%.

have to say though that the video footage of BC2 looked flipping awesome, cant wait to give it a try when it comes out. and yes i know it is not the same as arma, but that doesnt mean i dont have to like one style of game and hate the other does it?

Important is to fix actual sounds in A2, to be much more quiet when being heard from longer distances. Actual gunfire is way too loud from 400 meters, don't even mention that from 200 or 100 meters. That's what is the worst for me if we are talking about sounds in A2.

Important is to fix actual sounds in A2, to be much more quiet when being heard from longer distances. Actual gunfire is way too loud from 400 meters, don't even mention that from 200 or 100 meters. That's what is the worst for me if we are talking about sounds in A2.

That happens if you have CMSS or Crystalizer turned on (Arma doesn't support upmix effects and turning them on makes it sound like that)

If you have 5.1 and have those things disabled then sounds should be more quiet from a distance, at least it is for me, to the point that I pin point AI by judging the sound distance.

but the human eye doesn't "shake".

But your body "shakes" und your eye movement compensates that.

Shooting a rifle in arma does not "shake" your real body, because your body is IN the game.

This ingame body does move a bit when shooting, but this moving is not visible on the screen and that should be changed.

MfG Lee ;)

No trendy + shaky eyecandy until its done right.

Otherwise you will see those wrong + overdone camshakes that appear in most mainstream shooter/games. Same thing goes with those blood splashes and blurred, scratched vision. Sometimes its seem to be a dev trick to compensate gameplay/story issues. ;)

Everyone wants more realistic sounds. Start by setting the volume loud enough. That involves using headset on extreme volumes, since you cannot really give this to your neighbour without causing a war :)

I remember forgetting putting on ear protection when firing the AG3. We were on the range, so some added reverbiation from the range 'walls', but still... It *really* hurt. That's one single 7.62 shot. I won't vough for it's realismness, but the 'going deaf' scenes in Blackhawk Down due to M249 close fire doesn't seem so far off.

The biggest and only problem (other than pure bugs) in Arma is it's inability to play enough sounds at the same time, at least on my system (but afaik everybody has this). We could want for muffled sounds and better sounds all we want, some of which will come true via addons, but...

..if you want more realism, pump up the volume :D

..if you want more realism, pump up the volume :D

Im doing this quiet often, but...

Then everything else is also loud.

Try flying a helicopter at high volume, it sounds GREAT... until a bird flies near you and screams.

QUIIIEEECCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

Pure HORROR!

MfG Lee :crazy_o:

get VOP Sounds 2.1, srsly

I did and found the AR sounds srsly boring - regardless of how well all the other sounds were done.

Louder the "BANG" better the immersion. I tried Vopsound and didn't liked it at all. All the gear sounds are gone and also gunfire isn't loud enough.
Have to agree with you 100%. IMHO, the only sound mod where the ARs have balls is HIFIFX for Arma (the regular one, not the modular one). I think I've tried them all.
Battlefield 2...Of course, I could only stand about 10 minutes of the gameplay, but that's a whole other matter
Word to that, brother. I started to really get into that BC2 video but after about 20 seconds, I realized just how lame the gameplay was.
make it sound like the soundscape Hollywood has carefully nurtured over decades which is what you imagine it should sound like.
Sounds good to me!
Everyone wants more realistic sounds.
I think the take-away from this thread is most people really DON'T care about realism and are actually looking for more immersion from a "balls-out" soundscape. NOTHING adds immersion to a combat game like a great sound mod.

I like realistic sounds but the problem is you very rarely find good quality sounds from videos etc.We need someone with dat recorder and lasermike to do some recordings for us,when we can make good soundmods.

Hi all,

For me, the best soundmod for Arma 1 was HIFI FX, you could hear the breech metallic sound when you fired. Vops isn't bad but HIFI was really great !

I hope XIII 'll have time to port it over Arma 2 one day. Sound is really important for immersion !

Hi all,

For me, the best soundmod for Arma 1 was HIFI FX, you could hear the breech metallic sound when you fired. Vops isn't bad but HIFI was really great !

I hope XIII 'll have time to port it over Arma 2 one day. Sound is really important for immersion !

Here, here. Its a game about WAR! The sound should make it FEEL like one.

EA has access to infinitely better sound recording and processing facilities, and a professional sound design team. Its always going to sound better!

Well really, it doesn't take much (if you have access to a military proving ground) you can use an instrument mic, like one used for miking drums with a pop filter or muffle on the mic, and a condenser mic to record surroundings and a battery powered 4 track recorder.

I am in the process right now for a sound mod that has the likes

At least eastern weapons/vehicles should be easy to record for developers.Just go to some base which have vehicles and give small bribe to someone high enough and record whatever you want.

Just make sure its modular. I can't have Vopsound's awesome explosions because I don't like their bullet snaps.