Sign in to follow this  
hollow point

Why cant it sound like this?

Well really, it doesn't take much (if you have access to a military proving ground) you can use an instrument mic, like one used for miking drums with a pop filter or muffle on the mic, and a condenser mic to record surroundings and a battery powered 4 track recorder.

I am in the process right now for a sound mod that has the likes

Awesome Chammy! :) Nice to see you back in the BIZ!!

And yes. Try Chammy to make it modular. So for example aircrafts/vehicles and small arms fire etc are separate PBO's. Would be greatly appreaciated so we can use the parts we like. Feels most modern that way. ;)

Cant wait.

Alex

Sound adds more immersion then Graphics do in my books BC2 has perfect sound IMO might be overly dramatic but thats how every War game should be, I like how in BC2 they added that unique interference sound before you talk on a radio, Arma II needs more power to their sound and more echoes and cracks. :)

I hope someday we'll hear something like this in the OFP/ArmA series.

I'm a fan of proper sound. I think it's lame when people muffle sounds because some helicopter or gun is too loud to communicate... totally missing the point that that's not a bad thing!

I know that the hardest part about making sounds for ArmA is that you need 1 single sound file that sounds right when shot:

1. Indoors

2. Over snow

3. In a dense forest

4. In a mountain valley

5. Over hard sand

6. Over water

7. etc

The acoustic conditions of the environment change so much from place to place that one sound can be perfect for the woods but terrible for a grassland!

I've noticed Vopsound gunshots echo at length in some of the wild areas of Chernarus.

An other thing that is difficult in replicating real life sounds is the intensity of gun shots , from a 5.56 to a 105mm , i dont see much difference

IRL you can hear a 25mm autocannon fire up to several miles as well as the bursting shells. You can also hear the bang of an Howitzer 10km away seconds before the arty shell comes to you

The sound of a full speed jet going overhead is almost impossible to stand without ear protection since its no as instantaneous as a gun shot

Imo people need to buy AMPs and some decent headphones, insted of running it all from the back of their peice of crap audio outputs and then whing and moan to the sound designers that the sounds arnt loud enough.

Well really, it doesn't take much (if you have access to a military proving ground) you can use an instrument mic, like one used for miking drums with a pop filter or muffle on the mic, and a condenser mic to record surroundings and a battery powered 4 track recorder.

I am in the process right now for a sound mod that has the likes

Well yes the location recording would be easy enough,you can record anything with a few SM57's and a C414, I've probably recorded bands with less in the past, but really you need to follow that up with good processing - and I don't know about you but I don't think many people are going to have decent ProTools or Logic Rigs. For example Rockstar games have 2 ProTools HD studio's, EA will without a doubt have even more.

Good recording stock is the main priority in sound design. Dont matter if you got a £5000 studio setup, bad recordings = bad sounds.

Most of the time you can do without the studio setup and it mostly comes down to the skills of the sound designer themself and the skills they know. Programs and expensive equipment are just a luxury.

All you need is a good amp some good headphones & speakers and quality recordings, and a little knowledge of sound design itself. :)

Edited by Opticalsnare

You can't just bounce out a raw sound and be ready to rock, personally I've never come across audio of any kind that can pass without processing. I've also never seen a engineer work so well with mics and outboard that I've had no work to do in software.

Even a top of the line snare drum recorded with £1000's worth of mics running into best console will still need processing. If someone is good enough to bypass that entire process I for one would like to be show how.

I hope someday we'll hear something like this in the OFP/ArmA series.

Well the sound mod Chammy is working on surely sounds in that direction :cool:

You can't just bounce out a raw sound and be ready to rock, personally I've never come across audio of any kind that can pass without processing. I've also never seen a engineer work so well with mics and outboard that I've had no work to do in software.

Even a top of the line snare drum recorded with £1000's worth of mics running into best console will still need processing. If someone is good enough to bypass that entire process I for one would like to be show how.

Hang on a min where did i say there was no need for software? I was simply referring to that a good sound designer can do without an expensive setup like big expensive studios and what not. And that having good quality sound recordings is a must.

If you think expensive software is going to make you a good sound designer your wrong. There is knowledge, skill and lots of learning.

I find that as software is getting better it takes less and less to get good stuff made. I've seen guys go from nothing to great in mere months. Eventually, maybe not even in my lifetime, technology will replace talent in my oppinion. Im actually doing my major project dissertation on that very subject, although more in the music production field rather than interactive media, still a lot of skills do carry over at the moment especially in film dubbing and such.

And yes there is a lot of learning. Im in my 6th year of education in sound, and I still learn new things everyday, and everyday I find new ways to implement these new skills in my work.

That clip sounds great.

The BF audio engine has capability to mix the sounds and master the output. It's like the audio channels are mixed in a studio to sound as immersive possible. An important factor is, as with any music/sound production, every producer mixes different. Some want more true to life, other want it to sound like in that BF clip. Huge and immersive!

I can understand both :)

in my opinion BF has always had a brilliant sound engine, I remember playing BF2 on ultra sound, was awsome could actually here where choppers were in the ed space around you. The rest of the engine wasn't as good though.

in my opinion BF has always had a brilliant sound engine, I remember playing BF2 on ultra sound, was awsome could actually here where choppers were in the ed space around you. The rest of the engine wasn't as good though.

Yeah DICE hires some great people to do their sound design.

Very impressive sound (very impressive indeed) .... but ... its "perfect cinematic war" sound. Seems they based their audio reality on cinema output as apposed to "human real time sound".

So for that reason ... its great in its own sound world.

Well the sound mod Chammy is working on surely sounds in that direction :cool:

Wow!

Really like that sound mod!

You guys are making me want ArmA 2 more and more every day...

Wow!

Really like that sound mod!

You guys are making me want ArmA 2 more and more every day...

VopSound 2.1 mod is available now and is also great ;)

The Battlefield series has always had a pretty nice sound-engine. Too bad the game has never been that realistic in other areas. Hardly any recoil in full-auto? Need to shoot a guy with 12 rounds to put him down?

At least it isn't the constant flinch-fest of Call of Duty.

I remember playing GP legends my very old pc years ago. It looked like crap but the sound of that Ferrari made it feel real.

Ahh a beauty.

Anyway ontopic, it would be really awesome if Arma 2 had the BC sounds, and yeah i totally agree with sound being a very important factor for immersion.

IRL you can hear a 25mm autocannon fire up to several miles as well as the bursting shells. You can also hear the bang of an Howitzer 10km away seconds before the arty shell comes to you.

The sound in ARMA2 can be defined to be heared at any distance i think. Mark made his A-10 engine sound disapear much earlier. He also raised the range on bomb impact sounds. So its possible to make sounds travel further in ARMA. You can also set the occlusion distance limit - where the sounds in ARMA2 get muffled (very nice actually). The muffle range now in original ARMA2 is 1000m (1km). But it can be moved back or forth.

Will be great to see Chammy's soundmod. See what they cooked up. :)

Problem is the max amount of sound channels. Im not sure what it is in ArmA2 maybe 32 which means anything over 32 sounds at the same time causes sound glitches and problems.

ArmA 2 needs a better sound dynamics. 64 channels seem more like it, otherwise channel blending should help.

Hopefully the next-gen title from BIS will have a software DSP accelerated using OpenCL, because dedicated sound cards are dying as we speak.

those are some good sounds....no telling how much money and time they invested into capturing and tweaking them though...i agree that weapons have too quiet of a feel in a2, they should be much louder, you can talk amongst gunfire which shouldnt be possible

would be nice if doppler effect could be modeled, see the flash then hear the impact, this alone would make the a10's so badass hearing the freedom fart about 2 seconds later