Sign in to follow this  
Stilla-Killa

Is the game meant to be played in 1st or 3rd person view?

Did the game developers design the game to be mainly played in 1st person view and added 3rd person view as an option. Because most first person shooters don't even have the 3rd person view option. I have been playing off and on with the 3rd person view but I am wondering if I would enjoy the game more in 1st person view.

I still die on recruit lol. I couldn't imagine playing on veteran, guess I am to much of a wuss lol.

Stilla-killa do you happen to be from TGN?

in other news, it depends on the person, i myself like to play in 3rd person, it seems to give better situational awareness, in first person, it just doesn't feel right to me, but each to their own.

Stilla-killa do you happen to be from TGN?

in other news, it depends on the person, i myself like to play in 3rd person, it seems to give better situational awareness, in first person, it just doesn't feel right to me, but each to their own.

Yes I post over at TGN ever now and then. Less so now that my work has TGN blocked.

On singleplayer i always play 1st person expert/veteran whatever you call it, on multiplayer i'll play 3rd person as an infantry unit/land vehicle but in an air vehicle i use 1st person because i find it much easier to align the sights and fly lower, in 3rd person you can't see whats infront of your aircraft.

It also depends what mood im in but i love the immersion i get in 1st person, some of the stuff you experience can't be explained in words, just try a really simple mission in a forest: place 3-5 infantry groups of 3 factions each all with a 'seek and destroy' waypoint to the middle and try it in recruit and expert mode, theres quite a big difference!

I like abit of both , for car driving or flying i use 3rd person, but for fighting i will use 1st person , if im medic and healing people i will change from 1st person to 3rd person to look around as im healing , it just depends what you feel comfortable with.

I switch around alot, I just switch to third person view to behold the beatiful models and textures of the vehicles :)

I love 3rd person view and i get sad everytime servers settings remove it in Mp but i grin and play on in hope of next time there will be 3rd person view on :)

I prefer 3rd, because the First person weapon textures look weak in my opinion (I know its the same as the third, but its not so close up), but i don't play online. I do believe however that unless you have a multiple monitor display for first person, a third FOV provides the most accurate view.

It's meant to be played how ever you like.

Personally:

infantry = 1st person

aircraft (flight) = 1st

aircraft (taxi) = 3rd

vehicles (driver)= 3rd

vehicles (gunner) = 1st

helo (pilot) = 3rd

helo (gunner) = 1st

Vehicles have such poor visibility from the driving positions (in many cases there is no functional model from which to see and drive).

Aircraft cockpits are very well suited for 1st person.

I still have better situational awareness in helos if I'm in 3rd...the nature of hovering around stuff.

To each his own.

ymmv (and screw anyone who tells you how you have to play)

;)

You play it how you like to play it :) you don't let others say what's correct or what's incorrect. The only time you've got to comply is when you play on someone else's server :)

Personally, I like occasionally using the 3'rd person view. It allows me to look over or around obstacles that I'm pretty sure I would be able to in real life and not get seen. I call it "peep mode" :)

Also allows me to view my immediate area if I'm looking for something. In real life I don't wear a cardboard box around my head with a rectangular hole cut in the front, so ingame I'll take advantage of being able to see around my immediate person as though I have the actual spatial perception of real life.

Basically, it's all about using the various tools to good effect, to counterbalance the disadvantages of monitor viewing. I don't like magic views and cheat mechanisms, but I don't regard 3rd person as a cheat mechanism.

Edited by DMarkwick

Yes I post over at TGN ever now and then. Less so now that my work has TGN blocked.

hahha stilla-killa, i remember you as a ArmA post person on TGN. Didnt see your account was blocked though.

Lock it down baby, 1st person all the way, infantry, air, tank whatever you want. The way it should be played.

You play it how you like to play it :) you don't let other say what's correct or what's incorrect. The only time you've got to comply is when you play on someone else's server :)

Personally, I like occasionally using the 3'rd person view. It allows me to look over or around obstacles that I'm pretty sure I would be able to in real life and not get seen. I call it "peep mode" :)

Also allows me to view my immediate area if I'l looking for something. In real life I don't wear a cardboard box around my head with a rectangular hole cut in the front, so ingame I'll take advantage of being able to see around my immediate person as though I have actual spatial perception of real life.

Basically, it's all about using the various tools to good effect, to counterbalance the disadvantages of monitor viewing. I don't like magic views and cheat mechanisms, but I don't regard 3rd person as a cheat mechanism.

same here. I usually toggle 1st/3rd person in towns and cities. For me it improves situational awareness. I also usually use it when driving vehicles

3rd person gives me extra battlefield awareness when i dont use 1st person with my TIR on

I always play in 1st person except from when i drive a vehicle like the LAV then it's really annoying in 1st person, specially when you drive over a hill and the road turns on the other side then you end up driving off the road as you can't see anything :mad:

I mostly enjoy 3rd because the natural viewing angle is more than 180 degree and with egoshootermode you see only through a kind of tube ...

Check it while reading this:

You notice your naked girlfriend coming up from behind even before she reaches the direct line of your two shoulders. At last ... I do now ... aaaaaaaaaaarrggghhh ....

More details: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74908

Edited by Herbal Influence

Did the game developers design the game to be mainly played in 1st person view and added 3rd person view as an option. Because most first person shooters don't even have the 3rd person view option. I have been playing off and on with the 3rd person view but I am wondering if I would enjoy the game more in 1st person view.

this game is meant to be whatever you want, thats why BIS has no competition in many many areas where other games can kiss BIS ass (easy addons, mision editor, destructable env. without scripted cutscenes, ability to add own islands and atmosphere and even code changes )

I'd say stick with 1st person as much as possible. If you're using 3rd person mode to see over walls, then you should feel like a cheater. Same goes for some/most types of vehicle driving, especially ground ones. I.e, if you're driving a tank and informing your gunner where targets are because you can see so much better in 3rd person mode, you should feel like a cheater. Unfortunately some vehicles lack certain info/view "stuff" making them impossible to use without 3rd person.

I use first person for what I can, and use third for driving.

Two reasons really:

1. Situational awareness - i can't drive without my full (in actuality just over 180 degrees) field of view

2. BI didn't give us proper vehicle interiors for armor, like they did in OFP.

I feel like I'm cheating if I use 3rd person, though I occasionally switch to it when driving long distances just out of boredom.

I play both as its sometimes needed to go 3d. Im thinking of some vehicles that we cant see for crap when backing etc. No rear view mirrors in the hummer for example makes it hard to do nice backups in, and some other vehicles its hard to aim cause of different view blockings.

So i love and mostly play 1st person, but sometimes really need 3d person to even be able to know what im doing, and finally i play 3d sometimes just cause it looks cool to see your unit movin about. :)

I think the things that forces you to go 3d person needs to be worked on.

Play how you like. My personal choice is 1st person and using the look control. One thing I dont like about 3rd person view when playing pvp i.e. CTF etc is the ability to look over walls for me it spoils the realism and its like a cheat mode.

Edited by LockJaw-65-