Sign in to follow this  
SASrecon

Patch 1.05 suggestions

@D-Bone: You only "need" arty once. And that part of the mission is even doable without it (but harder). Having unlimited artillery would make the mission far too easy.

my suggestion is:

- Dx 11 usage, instead of the wastefuly working and old dx9 :)

- compute shader, or OpenCL usage for physics, and

So my suggestion is a technoligically new engine, instead of this outdated engine from 2006...

my suggestion is:

- Dx 11 usage, instead of the wastefuly working and old dx9 :)

- compute shader, or OpenCL usage for physics, and

So my suggestion is a technoligically new engine, instead of this outdated engine from 2006...

Ahem 2001..........

Dx11 and Open CL would be nice won't happen though even for the expansion.

Would really help optimizing the Code to run more efficiently I would probably get a 15FPS boost.

I got a 5FPS boost from 1.03 so lets hope some patch optimization will bring that kind of work without the task of redoing an entire engine.

BIS does need to step into the 2009 2010 era of Game engines though, :rolleyes:

Ahem 2001..........

2001? I can't remember dx9.0c and multi core cpu-s from 2001 :)

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Dx11 and Open CL would be nice won't happen though even for the expansion.

About a year ago, i've asked from a bi developer, that why they aren't use directx 10/10.1 in arma2, there are much of features that a game like arma can use very efficently, and nicely.

He said they don't see enough innovation in it to use it....

And this can mean 2 things:

- they aren't so pro developers, and they know nothing about dx10+

- or they are f**cin' lazy to code it :D

Because many gamers shun Vista, and only DX9 is readily available for XP? W7 isn't even out yet officially everywhere.

Keeping it at DX9 level means less potential bugs to work around. If i.e. DX10 allowed for easy fixing of dot sights (parallax free), it would mean that DX9 users had to be presented with the current method or a method that bugs. It's better to let everyone have the same, imho.

2001? I can't remember dx9.0c and multi core cpu-s from 2001 :)

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

About a year ago, i've asked from a bi developer, that why they aren't use directx 10/10.1 in arma2, there are much of features that a game like arma can use very efficently, and nicely.

He said they don't see enough innovation in it to use it....

And this can mean 2 things:

- they aren't so pro developers, and they know nothing about dx10+

- or they are f**cin' lazy to code it :D

The Engine is from OFP, it evolves since that for sure.. but never got rewrited from scratch i think.

In every new DX there is improvement in graphic, but also in optimization for it. (see DX 10.1 support for AA..)

For their next game, i think they can't miss DX11 and all the new tech available. Tesselation and physics inside the API are the first things that comes up in my mind.

Arma III is aways off, lets urge BIS to redo their engine from scratch this could, A) Give it updated code, new Coding language and scripting language probably, more efficient code, new features inegine, like DX11.1 that will include hopefully OpenGL 4.0 and maybe some direct computing so people with crazy good CPU's and Gpu's can handle all of the workload and get a better workload efficiency and also probably next gen VRAM and onboard RAM, coding the engine to cache all types of streaming textures,meshes,LODS this would severly help the game. :D

Tessellation, updated physics etc are just ice'ing on the cake though, I want to see the redone engine for the next gen coding efficiency that comes with the work and the better performance that comes with the GPU and CPU working in synch.

One thing this will do however is change the way the editor works, scripts are handled and things probably wont be compatible anymore with the prior games. :(

So even with the losses that come with the new engine in terms of modding and the knowledge of the familiar engine we will probably be more open to modding A3 and it will be easier to mod and script.

VSS Vintorez needs to be seriously nerfed. At the moment it's as powerful as any .50 cal weapon. Does a 9x39mm subsonic bullet really do so much damage that a shot to the toe kills every time? Highly doubtful.

Vickers MG is also way too powerful. You can shoot down an Osprey with around 10 hits while it takes a Minigun something like 1000 rounds. Again the caliber should make it only a little more powerful than 7.62 rounds.

Hi there.

My suggestion is tweak Manhattan mission. THey way it is, its a game breaker for me. So frustrating that I gave up the game, then came back after 1 month and started the mission again to finish it, but only with luck. So..

1) turn the smugglers task secondary (not a requisite for accomplishing the mission), because it is the most frustrating one IMHO.

2) fix the Artillary problem (I didnt get any support from it, since it disappeared from my comm menu); I think 1 barrage is good. More and the main camp gets easy.

3) reduce the number of sentry camps by 1.

when hosting a server the "unlock/lock" button should say "Unlocked/Locked". Easier to understand.

Added options hopefully in 1.05 patch

Motion Blur [on][off]

Cinematic Border [on][off]

Depth of Field [on][off]

High Dynamic Range [on][off] <<<<<<<< This one is VERY important, makes things way to dark, the aperture values are too dampened.

I would prefferably like a Radio Chat Disable feature or a minimizer.

Ambient Sound Slider 0-------5-------10

Object Drawing Distance Slider please make it go really high I hate how I cant see objects in the middle of the airfield from one of the far sides!

Animations: I like how in OFP DR, you can scale down the quality of animations from a distance I dont know if this a LOD setting but please add this, at range animations look really basic.

Particle Effects: Low, Medium, High, Ultra High: Scales the quality of explosions, particles, impacts and muzzle flashes. THIS WOULD ROCK!

VSYNC: Enabled/Disabled for some reason its forced....

maybe an option to enable Character Model details.

Adding more Options BIS will help optimize your game and let people without Godly rigs be able to run the game with fair quality.

Its pretty important option like you said, sometimes soldiers arn't drawn for me at long distances past a Kilometer and rarely at 1000meters if they're prone in foilage they become invisible because I guess the engine doesn't recognize the solider at that distance.

Its really lame, like i said above how I can't see objects like a flag and huge sand filled barriers from 1000meters, BIS should really work on fixing the draw distances for objects and put those fixes into a slider.

Nobody should have to mod that, BIS should've shipped the game with this Object Draw Distance Slider, this is why until a mod came out, for some people Jets and Helos would disappear in mid air if they went like a 1000meters ahead of them which really kills immersion.

Well since Im talking about graphical options in this thread, I'll bring up this aswell.

BIS, is there anyway you could code the LOD's to switch less noticeably and make them load faster? I have a 750GB @7200RPM HDD, and I heard from some on here on the forums that he did a test with different HDD's and found out the LOD switching was because of slow HDD's not being able to transfer and load the textures fast enough, could you maybe cache the tree textures ENTIRELY??? Caching them would mean that we wouldn't have to upgrade to a Solid State Drive and we wouldn't have to constantly load from, Super low res to Super High resolution.

Also BIS, since players rarely want to look at trees whilst playing Arma 2, why don't you decrease the resolutions of the LOD's, the Highest LOD setting for Trees at 200% 3D Resolution must be incredibly High res if a monster computer is brought to its knees!

Perhaps even a Tree Draw Distance Slider or Foilage Details options, Higher res trees/ Lower res trees, this could all be easily implemented.

This would optimize the engine greatly in itself, I would probably be able to increase my 3D Resolution again!

Anybody think this should be done, caching Tree textures alone seems brilliant to me! Thank me later if BIS does this. :D

Edited by Flash Thunder

Bugga performance etc, get the AI to learn how to drive, follow orders and not shoot through solid objects when their not meant to. Atm the game is bearly playable when you have the AI shooting you through terrain and buildings.

High Dynamic Range [on][off] <<<<<<<< This one is VERY important, makes things way to dark, the aperture values are too dampened.

Never gonna happen. HDR is a basis of the engine and can't be switched off.

Of course it requires tweaking. When in the forest in the middle of the day I want to see the ground and objects in detail and the sky overexposed. I don't want to see sky in detail and ground solid black.

I would love to see the Acog to be switchable from scope to short range sight, like in ACE mod, it would make it more realistic and usable.

I agree. HDR should not at all take into account the effects of the sky. Maybe it should only deal with available scene light (similar to how AI determines NVG usage). The direction you look does not affect it, although it would have to take into account if you're inside a building and turn up the effect maybe. I've noticed that engine already removes particle rain when you're inside a building, so this should be possible.

Maybe an option to try in a beta (configurable values), since a sudden drastic change like this could easily turn very sour for unforseen consequenses.. :)

Increase the blast of the anti tank mines. In many times T-90 has driven over 3 mines and it was like nothing happened.

Mines are fun to use and are important part in destroying convoys, but now mines are pretty much useless.

Never gonna happen. HDR is a basis of the engine and can't be switched off.

umm theres a mod which reduces it and makes ARMA2 very playable.

so it is possible ;)

as for everything else, i'd like trees cached, the ability to use the majority of my RAM, not be limited to just 2gigs.

more performance improvements, patch 1.04 made a huge improvement since when the game was released, but i'd still like more :rolleyes:

If theres a way to improve AI pathfinding, DO IT :p

Fix the sound.

Yeah fix the sound problems BIS, when you have your Sound Effects up more than 75% it starts to cut out and distort alot, like when shooting fully auto, static like sound.

Can you guys make it so the AI isn't so damn accurate I'm doing some testing here, im playing on Regular with the enemies at 59% and Friendlies at 69%

The Enemy AI can still spot you to easily in the dark or in foilage and they also have perfect accuracy usually always landing a bullet into my head in milliseconds, this is very frusterating I can't even do that since aiming is hard in ARMA 2!! :mad:

Can you give them some kind of realistic Reaction time not hit the floor automatically and turn around in your exact location and go POP while im still trying to aim! Does the AI also even have their aim thrown off when they're hurt, Its impossible for me to shoot them but it seems they're still 100% dead on with each shot even though they just soaked 2 bullets in the torso! :mad:

Please address this and the Ocean Frame rate ISSUE that I've stated before!

Here is 1. I`d just like to see a 1.05 patch at all. Seems awhile since we got the 1.04.

i want more Realstic Things !!!!!

like more Spy things :D

how about all the maps and missions from OFP and ARMA. I mean we can get them with mods but if they were officially in the game then more servers would use them

The Engine is from OFP, it evolves since that for sure.. but never got rewrited from scratch i think.

In every new DX there is improvement in graphic, but also in optimization for it. (see DX 10.1 support for AA..)

For their next game, i think they can't miss DX11 and all the new tech available. Tesselation and physics inside the API are the first things that comes up in my mind.

None of older game engines was rewritten. It's a common thing, that the engines evolving from the first game. No need to rewrite the whole engine for new technologies. Fe stalker was meant for dx8. And it came out as a full dx9.0c game, clear sky used some dx10.1 effects, and now call of pripyat will strongly use dx11. Unreal 2 engine also wasn't new, it was the upgrade of unreal 1 engine, and unreal 3 engine also the descendant of unreal 2. And i can say more games. Also those "rewritten windows" are marketing bullshits, it wasn't rewritten ever from 0.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

as for everything else, i'd like trees cached, the ability to use the majority of my RAM, not be limited to just 2gigs.

64bit release ;)