dmarkwick

JTD Fire And Smoke

To my knowledge its not setup to impair the field of view, its designed for destroyed vehicles and planes and such, hence smoke being from fires.

There was a mod if i remember correctly that had smoke that would impair the AI's view cant think of it,

I thought it was VFAI but thats an old version and the AI throw smoke impairing your view.

OK, thanks. I realised that the mod isn't 'designed' as a visual imparment system (such as deployable smoke) - it just so happens that in a particular mission I am doing, the defenders are defending across a 'barrier' that has been destroyed with a car-bomb. The AI are attacking that position and due to the F&S effect, I can't see the AI but they seem to be able to see my fireteam!

This is not a complaint or a moan by the way - merely an observation!! For this particular mission I will simply not use your mod, or I will use the info given in a previous post to shorten the F&S effect time.

Nice work on the mod though!

OK, thanks. I realised that the mod isn't 'designed' as a visual imparment system (such as deployable smoke) - it just so happens that in a particular mission I am doing, the defenders are defending across a 'barrier' that has been destroyed with a car-bomb. The AI are attacking that position and due to the F&S effect, I can't see the AI but they seem to be able to see my fireteam!

This is not a complaint or a moan by the way - merely an observation!! For this particular mission I will simply not use your mod, or I will use the info given in a previous post to shorten the F&S effect time.

Nice work on the mod though!

In fact the Fire And Smoke WILL impair the AI's view, this is now done by the game engine itself, BIS added AI viewblock to particles. In fact the ArmA1 version had viewblock abilities added by me, but it was CPU expensive and I was glad to find out that BIS added the ability to particles :) (I also released a smokeshell-specific addon that added viewblock functionality in ArmA1, which was perhaps my greatest moment :D)

Back when I first made the addon I did some testing and confirmed it for myself. However, the chaotic and random nature of the smoke itself will often allow the AI to "glimpse" enemy through the smoke, and from there you will get the appropriate AI response.

But, it's nice to know that a sufficiently dense smokescreen will block you from AI view :)

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

Getting the "Firedamage.sqf, Line 30" thing often. Is it any fix to this?

"_nearestFire = |#|nearestObjects [_thisObject,["firemarker...'

Error 0 elements provided, 3 expected

File JTD_FireAndSmoke\Scripts\FireDamage.sqf, line 30"

I get this sometimes, and I cannot fathom it :confused: it's basically complaining that an empty positional array is being passed to the routine, but I cannot find where that might be happening. However it's also been a long time since I did anything with this mod, so maybe I'd better pick up the threads again.

Might gbe better off just disabling, or allowing the option of disabling, the fire damage system, which was always a little flakey depending on PC specs etc.

Edited by DMarkwick

However it's also been a long time since I did anything with this mod, so maybe I'd better pick up the threads again.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnKibTJaMyZ4e0JHythvilL3GSYcqrpCIO00jUODXEGL0N5sYI&t=1

Good man.

I'm getting a "cannot load texture dmsmokeeffects\images\dmviewblockvis.paa" error when I try to drop in some smoke in the editor, can anyone help me out? Thanks.

I'm getting a "cannot load texture dmsmokeeffects\images\dmviewblockvis.paa" error when I try to drop in some smoke in the editor, can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Sounds like you might be trying to run the wrong game version. Try the JTD FireAndSmoke for ArmA2 not the JTD SmokeEffects for ArmA1. :)

Sounds like you might be trying to run the wrong game version. Try the JTD FireAndSmoke for ArmA2 not the JTD SmokeEffects for ArmA1. :)

I'm pretty sure I am running the right version. I downloaded it straight from the armaholic link, ver 0.3. I was running ACE when I got the error, but then I disabled it after seeing another post, but I am still getting the big white blocks like in my 2nd screenshot.

Here are screenshots of what I see.

arma2oa2011060206461667.png

arma2oa2011060206492259.png

when I try to drop in some smoke in the editor

... I think I know what you're doing now :)

There is no editor placement of smoke, those objects are old legacy test objects that simply never got deleted. All fire & smoke effects are done automatically ingame when a vehicle is destroyed. To use JTD Fire&Smoke, all you do is play the game as normal.

... I think I know what you're doing now :)

There is no editor placement of smoke, those objects are old legacy test objects that simply never got deleted. All fire & smoke effects are done automatically ingame when a vehicle is destroyed. To use JTD Fire&Smoke, all you do is play the game as normal.

Ah, well that explains it definitely. I thought I could "place" columns of smoke for battlefield ambience. I was staging scenes for some videos, looks like I'll just have to blow some stuff up :D

Thanks!

Ah, well that explains it definitely. I thought I could "place" columns of smoke for battlefield ambience. I was staging scenes for some videos, looks like I'll just have to blow some stuff up :D

Thanks!

You can script objects to have JTD_FAS effects:

nul = [this,20,((random 700) + 700),100,time,1,true] execVM "JTD_FireAndSmoke\Scripts\SmokeMain.sqf"

will give full fuel fire & tall columns of smoke when placed in the init field of an object.

Hi DMarwick,

is there a way to extinguish the fire per script? E.g. deleteVehicle on fire objects. E.g. fire_object = Firetruck getNearestObject["Fire"]; deleteVehicle fire_object?

Good question derdoe. I hate when FOB catches fire :)

DMarkwick: does your addon put entries to the mission.sqm as a required addon?

Good question derdoe. I hate when FOB catches fire :)

DMarkwick: does your addon put entries to the mission.sqm as a required addon?

It sometimes writes something to the SQM as an invisible object is spawned, but it's safe to prune any SQM dependency away.

@derdoe:

Unfortunately not, once a fire is spawned it runs its course.

I dont know if this somewhat annouying fire and smoke bug was already in ARMA 2 but when i drove a truck ( Russian Main truck Open variant stock) into the water and jumped out it exploded (i know thats in ARMA 2) but then a few seconds later i heard fire turned around and saw smoke coming out of the water and occasionally flames that were high enough to get over the waterline. Nothing game breaking but a headscrather

I dont know if this somewhat annouying fire and smoke bug was already in ARMA 2 but when i drove a truck ( Russian Main truck Open variant stock) into the water and jumped out it exploded (i know thats in ARMA 2) but then a few seconds later i heard fire turned around and saw smoke coming out of the water and occasionally flames that were high enough to get over the waterline. Nothing game breaking but a headscrather

I thought about doing something about that, similar to the aircraft altitude check, but I generally don't mind it. It doesn't happen often, and when it does it gives me info. I qualify it by calling it a water surface oil & fuel fire :)

hey there

i have a question:

i tried out your mod JTD_FireAndSmoke beta 0.3

but i just wanted to try out the @blastcore_visuals

till i noticed i have absolutely no fire effects anymore.

i figured your addon is blocking/conflicting with this one so i deleted your addon , but still i have no fire effects at all when i blow stuff up :(

can you help me out fixing it somehow?

Well, I can help you as far as F&S goes, but obviously it's not the cause of your no-fire problem.

F&S does not conflict with anything, as it's entirely self-contained (aside from it's CBA dependency) and only ever adds new effects, it never replaces any. So there's nothing for it to conflict with.

I can only suggest removing both addons, and trying them one at a time. Although, as I said, it cannot be F&S.

okay ill deactivate both addons and just try and see if cars burn after blowing up with the default effects ill brb!

edit: with default effects , i hit a car with the MAAWS and dual purpose ammo , the explosion shows fire for a second and the following explosion too , vehicle doesnt burn.

Edited by ascendence

DMarkwick are there plans for any future releases from you? I remember hearing something about something happening in your personal life, stopping development of your mods. Is this still the case? I've been away from the community for a while.

edit: with default effects , i hit a car with the MAAWS and dual purpose ammo , the explosion shows fire for a second and the following explosion too , vehicle doesnt burn.

Are you using any other addons at all? ACE for example.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Last year, my wonderful daughter was killed. It kicked it all out of me, and continues to drain and weigh on me, I'm not equipped to handle it.

I left home, got a job in the film industry and moved to Elstree. So I effectively lost everything and started a whole new life, which consists mainly of temporary distractions, I still pootle around in ArmA2, but no developments for a long time. All things being equal, I'll probably restart some project again eventually, improve the F&S (even though it currently does what I wish it to do quite well) and maybe restart the Weather & Climate thing I had planned before All This.

But the cyclic nature of extreme grief makes it difficult for me to maintain much enthusiasm for long, but, we'll see.

Kindest regards.

I´m also really sorry to hear about that. I wish you all the best.