Sign in to follow this  
Clayman

Topolka Dam and Beyond

Well, If someone makes a destroyable dam then I'll try to make a flood wave. ;)

Well I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard considering regular buildings are destructible, but you would need a different animation (or more dust so you can't see the crappy animation they already have) than sinking into the ground, actually I think someone should make a mod where buildings and water towers have a better animation when they get destroyed.

Hmmm, isn't it possible to create this without using Mapfact EU? And what about using (cameraPositionToWorld [0,0,0]) distance _damPosition - even more effective, since player won't have to be close to the dam, just camera beign nearby should trigger the dam.

An XEH compatible self-initialising config:

class CfgPatches {
class CLAY_TopolkaDamFX {
	units[] = {};
	weapons[] = {};
	requiredAddons[] = {"Extended_EventHandlers"};
	requiredVersion = 1.02;
	version = 2009-09-03;
};
};

class Extended_PostInit_EventHandlers {
CLAY_TopolkaDamFX = "[] spawn compile preprocessFileLineNumbers '\CLAY_TopolkaDamFX\init.sqf';";
};

sorry for changed filenames :)

Edited by zGuba

awesome! thinking about doing Pobeda dam? many of my "on the run" sequences in private missions use this as a border. It would be awesome/hilarious to see cop boats just looking like "how are going 2 get past THAT???"

And what about using (cameraPositionToWorld [0,0,0]) distance _damPosition

Dam(n), it just took me about two hours to find out that it's positionCameraToWorld and not cameraPositionToWorld. LOL!

:p :D

thinking about doing Pobeda dam?

Would like to do so, but the problem is that the terrain below the Pobeda Dam isn't suited for anything like a river or lake.

It would require a lot of terrain editing. On the other hand, it would be cool if there would be a river from the Pobeda Dam to the Guba Bay / ocean. ;)

But that's far beyond my skills.^^

Love the effects. Especially the mist. Thanks for the great work!

Would this ever be a simple addon pbo version in the end?

Its great but a shame its dependant on a few things and needs scripting :)

Seems like a keeper feature that should be an addon to me, great work though.

Bunny1_small.jpg

Wheelie1_small.jpg

First of all, many thanks to all the feedback and the good suggestions (especially to Deadfast, armatech and zGuba). I tried to add as many of the ideas as possible.

In detail the new version 1.1 of the Topolka Dam FX contains the following new / changed features:

- Addon version doesn't require MAP_EU anymore as requested by several people. Instead CBA is required now.

- Addons version will self-initialise (will add the effects to any existing mission)

- New sound for main waterfall

- Added sound to the small waterfall / rapids

- Main waterfall sound only played when at least one gate is open

- Added vertical movement to the river to simulate waves

- Randomised particles from small waterfall / rapids

- Light parameters can be changed at any time

- Fixed placement of some rocks

- Lights will be removed when script ends

Despite my non-existant knowledge of MP editing I've included .bisign and key files. However, I have no idea if this works in MP at all. Any feedback on this is appreciated.

Further information and DL links can be found in first post.

Edited by Clayman

Very cool, Clayman!

Thx a lot for this one! Will test it asap :)

Keep it up!

MfG, Medicus

Strange enough it seems to work in MP ;-). I put the key on our server and joined with the Addon using my AAS-Mission Total Annihilation which has a spawn-point near the dam. The following message appears: "Cannot load texture map_eu\icon\icon.paa."

After clicking OK it seems to work anyway but it´s a bit irritating. Looks and sounds awesome by the way! The reason why i said "strange" is, that other players without that Addon of course don´t see it and don´t have that river. They can just pass the area while i have to move my tank or whatever around the river-area now ;-). That´s of course not your problem, I´m just wondering that something like this is possible at all, but it is! Great job anyway. Any chance to get rid of that error-message?

Oops. I forgot to remove the icon entry I used for testing from the config. It's fixed now. Please re-download.

Good to know it works in MP. :)

Just wondering if you updated the scriptversion, too. Tested it and still have the sound-issue if all gates are closed.

MfG, Medicus

Actually the script version is updated, too.

Are you sure it's not the sound of the small waterfall you're hearing?

Or just another thought, do you have the addon version active while testing the script version? This might cause problems, as the global variables of both versions are the same. Never tested it tbh.

(Note to myself: Maybe I should change that in next version...)

Thanks for new version!

Another tip: You can use double while script to check for camera beign close instead of using triggers in "PostInited" script ;)

while {true} do {
while {true} do {
if (~~ && ~~) then {~~~~} else {~~~~};
sleep ~;
};
};

Concerning FX: single while loop has limit of 1000 loops, so for Your dam FX it would be wise to make it last longer by inserting one loop into another using the same condition - current one will stop after approx. 100 seconds.

There's also another thing that could be useful - Community Modding Bible. Try searching for objects that are already configured by developers.

Overall - awesome job!

@miller

Thanks. Links added to first post.

thx Clayman, that was a fast fix! Any plans for a "Pobeda Dam"-Version of this Addon?
Would like to do so, but the problem is that the terrain below the Pobeda Dam isn't suited for anything like a river or lake.

It would require a lot of terrain editing. On the other hand, it would be cool if there would be a river from the Pobeda Dam to the Guba Bay / ocean. ;)

But that's far beyond my skills.^^

Just adding the water effect itself would be no problem, but it would look pretty weird without any river below the dam. ;)

@zGuba

Thanks for the input. Will keep it in mind for the next update. :)

The link you posted asks me for username and password. I suppose it's time for me to register over at devheaven.^^

As always very nice job Clayman. :)

We are getting some issues in MP though, if not everyone has it.

I think the problems are:

1) Missing units array definitions of new classes in the config:

class CfgPatches
{
class CLAY_TopolkaDamFX
{
	units[] = {"CLAY_DamFXBase","CLAY_DamFXPond01","CLAY_DamFXPond02","CLAY_DamFXPond03","CLAY_DamFXRock01","CLAY_DamFXRock02"};
	weapons[] = {};
	requiredAddons[] = {"Extended_EventHandlers"};
	requiredVersion = 1.04;
	version = "2009-12-07";
};
};

2) Is that non createVehicleLocal in sound.sqf intentional?

waitUntil {!(isNil "CLAY_TopolkaDam_sound")};

while {CLAY_TopolkaDamFX} do
{
waitUntil {CLAY_TopolkaDam_sound};

_soundSource = "HeliHEmpty" createVehicleLocal [0,0,0]; // was createVehicle

Hi kju.

Thanks for reporting. I have fixed both Script and Addon Version.

Hope everything will work now the way it should.

As I don't have any posibility to test this in MP (and my MP scripting knowledge is _very_ limited), feel free to inform me about any other bugs you might find so I can fix them, too. :)

hey there im a total noob at scripting and editing, i was wondering is there a way to set it up so a player can walk over to the dam house and turn off and on the dam??

Sure that's possible.

Open / Close Gates:

To open / close any of the gates at any time in your mission set these global variables to true (open) or false (closed):

CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate1

CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate2

CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate3

You could place a trigger at the house with

player addAction ["Open/Close Dam","dam.sqf"];

and a small script dam.sqf:

If (CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate1 || CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate2 || CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate3) Then
{
CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate1 = false;
CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate2 = false;
CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate3 = false;
}
Else
{
CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate1 = true;
CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate2 = true;
CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate3 = true;
};

Sure that's possible.

You could place a trigger at the house with

player addAction ["Open/Close Dam","dam.sqf"];

and a small script dam.sqf:

If (CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate1 || CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate2 || CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate3) Then
{
CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate1 = false;
CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate2 = false;
CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate3 = false;
}
Else
{
CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate1 = true;
CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate2 = true;
CLAY_TopolkaDam_gate3 = true;
};

THANKS SO MUCH! worked like a charm, do you have one to turn the lights on and off? somthing like the post you just did that i can simply cut and paste into place? or is that asking to much?

also....

how do i get it to work for all players online? at the mo, it only works for the person who turnes it off?

Edited by PSYKO_phoenix

Pretty much the same as above:

If (CLAY_TopolkaDam_lights) Then
{
CLAY_TopolkaDam_lights = false;
}
Else
{
CLAY_TopolkaDam_lights = true;
};