R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

It sure will be worth the effort to OC your CPU.

I have hd4890 and e6750 and it really doesnt matter what i do with the Video settings cos it really has a minimal effect on the FPS (at least in Harvest Red). OCing my cpu I get the most noticeable effect.

So far i've learned that ArmA2 is all about cpu and its Mhz.

Is it hard to over clock the cpu? never done it? :) what are the risks?

Thnkx

It aint hard I have done it many a times.

But you need a good CPU cooler if your going to really.

And need to be care full because you can damage pc parts but these days there is a few things in pace to help prevent that.

Still need to be care full.

Google yo M/B and see if any tutorials come up for it on OC.

Ok I have done more testing and its my CPU slowing me down.

I have tested missions with AI and even if the AI aint in my view they are still causing a problem .

If I look up my FPS dont really go any higher.

But if I go to the same place on the map in the editor I get much much more FPS with no AI.

So the only thing that is different is the lack of AI on the map.

Damn ya would have thought a quad core Q6700 at 2.6Mhz would be able to handle this.

Ok I have done more testing and its my CPU slowing me down.

I have tested missions with AI and even if the AI aint in my view they are still causing a problem .

If I look up my FPS dont really go any higher.

But if I go to the same place on the map in the editor I get much much more FPS with no AI.

So the only thing that is different is the lack of AI on the map.

Damn ya would have thought a quad core Q6700 at 2.6Mhz would be able to handle this.

Ghz. And while a 2.67 quad might be fast for most people, on the arma forums it really isn't. I think I have one of the slower machines here with my q6600@3.3Ghz. If you have a decent motherboard overclocking should be really easy. If your cpu can go 3.2 on 1.3Vcore you might get away with having a stock cooler if you have a lot of airflow in your case. Still not recommended though.

but you can always try, and stop when you start hitting high temps (65-70 degrees measured with coretemp)

Edited by Leon86

Hi there yeah I will over clock it.

And nope I don't have stock cooler as I was going to over clock so wnet for the titan fenrar ;).

Me mobo is a ASUS Striker extreme the first one so still not a bad MB and should over clock this CPU ok.

Edited by stk2008

Hi all.

Well, today I installed OA and played couple missions.Everything went fine untill Open Season mission.Actually, helicopter drone went crazy.After some time it wouldn't go to the waypoint but it just circles around itself.But thats not a kind of problem for this thread.

The next mission "From Hell" is so laggy that makes game unplayable.I mean, I set everything to low, still almost no change.Still damn laggy.Probably because of night and NVGs.

My spec are:

Athlon X2 6000+ 2.7

3Gb DDR2

Sapphire HD3870

I konw it isn't a xtreme gaming rig, but hey, I had ~20FPS with GTA4 and ancient Athlon 4200+ 2.2Ghz.

Im downloading 1.57 patch, maybe it will solve something.

And yes, I have a original copy of game.So I hope its not due to the FADE.

My english isn't so good, forgive me for any unintentionally grammar or spelling mistakes.

Dropper: your PC is a little under-powered so here are a few tips:

1. Always get the latest official patch

2. Try the latest beta patch

3. In the Settings menu:

a. Set the resolution at 100%

b. Don't set the draw distance more than 2000m

c. Keep Terrain Detail at Normal or even Low

d. Disable AA

e. Lower Post-Processing to Low or even Very Low

And your English is fine mate. WAY better than my croatia ;)

Hope that helps

Failing that you can always try these tips

Edited by domokun

Just bought The combined operations package through Steam. I installed the game and tried to play but the performance was terrible....I play many other games at max settings and am 60fps or more without any problem....and When I play this game its almost as if I am getting 10 or even less fps....any suggestions to what I should do....I would love to play this game at max and I just dont understand if I exceed Recommended specs why the game performs so poorly. My specs are in my sig but here they are anyway...

AMD Phenom II x4 920 2.8ghz OC-3.36ghz

Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3

8gb 2x4 Kingston Hyperx 1066mhz PC2-8500 CL5 240-pin

ram timings 6 6 6 18 24 2t.......orignial is 5 5 5 15 idk if is should change is back or what

Ati Sapphire toxic 1gb Radeon HD 5850 775:1125

Win 7 ultimate 64bit

H50 cooler push/pull

case is a basic atx with 4 fans one intake(along with H50's fans) and 3 exhaust.

If anyone could give me some tips on what to do I would greatly appreciate it...ps I can play COD:black ops,,Starcraft 2,,Cs:s,,HL2,,,Just Cause 2,,,Sims 3,,,,,basically anything but Arma 2 or operation arrow head.

Just bought The combined operations package through Steam. I installed the game and tried to play but the performance was terrible....I play many other games at max settings and am 60fps or more without any problem....and When I play this game its almost as if I am getting 10 or even less fps....any suggestions to what I should do....I would love to play this game at max and I just dont understand if I exceed Recommended specs why the game performs so poorly. My specs are in my sig but here they are anyway...

AMD Phenom II x4 920 2.8ghz OC-3.36ghz

Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3

8gb 2x4 Kingston Hyperx 1066mhz PC2-8500 CL5 240-pin

ram timings 6 6 6 18 24 2t.......orignial is 5 5 5 15 idk if is should change is back or what

Ati Sapphire toxic 1gb Radeon HD 5850 775:1125

Win 7 ultimate 64bit

H50 cooler push/pull

case is a basic atx with 4 fans one intake(along with H50's fans) and 3 exhaust.

If anyone could give me some tips on what to do I would greatly appreciate it...ps I can play COD:black ops,,Starcraft 2,,Cs:s,,HL2,,,Just Cause 2,,,Sims 3,,,,,basically anything but Arma 2 or operation arrow head.

What settings do you play at? and when do you get low fps. Some missions in the campain are pretty heavy on any system.

Best thing to compare performance is post all your settings and run the 3 benchmark scenario's.

edit: I run at:

1920x1080

2000 visibility

aa off

low objects detail

high shadow detail

post very low

rest on normal

I get 51 fps average on the benchmark 08 scenario on my q6600@3.3 and an overclocked gtx260. Vsync is on and prerendered frames set to 0.

and 46 on benchmark 01

Edited by Leon86

My settings are

Vis 3600 which I will try lowering to what yours is

quality veryhigh

1920x1080x32--I am playing on a 46" led tv

3d res 1920x1080

textures normal Shadow-high(will change to what yours is as well)

vidmemory normal Hdr- normal

AF high Post Process-Low

AA off Vsync disabled(helped a little but I get screen tearing

Terrain Normal so i am going to have to enable

Objects High this)

Benchmark 1 avg 37fps

Benchmark 2 avg 11fps didnt try 8 but I will.....Idk why this is like that....so sad I really wanted to play this game and I dont see why I need to play with is looking soo crappy with dumbed down graphics.

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Ok so now I changed a few things and got some outstanding results

Textures are now at high

Vidmemory is at veryhigh---actually increased my fps

af-High

aa-off

terrain-normal

objects-normal

shadow-normal

Hdr-high

postprocess-off

vsync-enabled

and I did change my visibility to 2100...my fps is now 49 or 50 in benchmark 1....used to be 37....benchmark 8 was 57 so I think i am content...still sad that some textures load in late and from far away tanks and other vehicles look 1st gen graphics until u get close then they start looking good.

I have shadows on high because that way they're fully rendered by the gpu, normal shadows are determined by the cpu.

if you look at the complexity of some of the models, it's clear why the game can run sluggishly.

imo, an optimized low poly model with superior normal mapping is near indistinguishable from a higher poly model. case in point:

render010b.png

credit: alexvestin from facepunch.

you can have a hundred of these running around on the battlefield with no slowdowns. right now, lod 3 looks more complex than that.

im just going to add to the frustrated list here lol... someone PLEASE tell me how to get better preformance.

my system:

CPU: AMD PhenomII x4 955 3.2Ghz (OC'd to 3.5Ghz)

RAM: 6Gb DDR3 @ 1600 9-9-9-24

GPU: GTX 460 (800, 1600, 2000) = (core, shader, memory)

HDD: 500Gb @7200rpm

MoBo: Asus 870

i have all settings on NORMAL except for video memory = high and AA = OFF, my view distance is 2500 and im running a resolution of 1680x1050. i am only gettings 25-30 FPS MAX.

i know i should be getting better preformance than this but am not sure what i am doing wrong. any advice is greatly

one thing i notice is that looking at EVGA precision, it tells me that my GPU is only being 50-60% used while in missions but then when i hit ESC and go to menu, the FPS shoots up to near 70 and the GPU % goes up to 97-98 on precision..... is the game just not using my GPU correctly or what? i found this very odd.

what do you get in the benchmark missions 1 and 08 if you run at:

1920x1080

2000 visibility

aa off

low objects detail

high shadow detail (for gpu shadow rendering)

post very low

rest on normal

?

not sure how to do this benchmarck thing, i will post back if i figure it out

Its under singleplayer scenarios.

I have very low performance while in combat even with few bots(sometimes it drops to 1-2fps sshow or massive lag). For example I get this while running b-mark @ Chernarus with intense night combat. Many trigger spawned explosions & lots of friendly ai running about seems to have no impact on performance whatsoever.

My setup:

-A2(DVD) + OA(DVD) as CO with 1.57(latest atm) and latest beta;

-NO MODS(at least for the test runs I made to make sure it wasn't mod related);

-using Advanced System Care PRO/GameBooster PRO/CPU control to max out the performance;

-latest Nvidia drivers(default(application controlled) settings in Nvidia control center);

-71GB free HDD space(defragged every now and then);

-no viruses so far spotted by KIS 2010;

-no trash on desktop(only shortcuts - I like to keep it clean:D);

My rig:

-Win 7 Ultimate 64bit;

-Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz;

-4GB RAM;

-Geforce 9600GT 512mb(not OC'd);

-onboard sound card;

-hi cap HDD;

Ingame settings:

-1440x900 res(native monitor res);

-3D res @ 83%;

-1000m vd;

-textures norm;

-vidmem default;

-filtration high;

-AA off;

-terrain norm;

-objects high;

-shadows high;

-HDR norm;

-PP low;

-Vsync off;

okay so now i become even more confused... i have ran the benchmark test using the EXACT settings you told, EXCEPT i used 1680x1050 resolution since it is my monitors native.

these are the test that i ran: ( i used fraps to watch for max and min FPS values but am reporting the AVG FPS as what the game told me)

Benchmark 01: AVG FPS = 53 with a min of 39 and a max of 95

Benchmark 02: AVG FPS = 20 with a min of 12 and a max of 28

Benchmark 08: AVG FPS = 66 with a min of 40 and a max of 90

these results are way better than what i am seeing in campaign... now what in the world could be going on?!?!

in campaign after changing to these settings and AFTER these benchmarks i am STILL unable to break 30.

i am able to crank up my graphics and keep the SAME FPS. i turned AA on 4x and objects to high as well as pp to normal and view distance to 2500. my GPU usage shoots up to 95-98% when in contact with the enemy but still stays at a steady 25-28FPS... what does this mean???

now the thing that makes the LEAST amount of sense to me, when im sitting at the menu and the camera is panning across the terrain and buildings and animals, my GPU usage shoots up to 100% and i get 80FPS... why do i get such good preformance at the main menu and WHY does my GPU remain at only half use when im running around in campaign? when i do the armory i get great FPS as well. ~75-80... as you can tell im very frustrated haha

Edited by Covert_Death

Benchmark results =/= Campaign FPS

Engine sucks or optimization, or both...

Yeah, the campain is pretty heavy.

@Bars, I dont have a clue what could cause your issue. Ofcourse your pc isn't exactly a speed machine but settings are pretty low as well. Maybe try getting the gpu/memory intensive settings down even further.

Edited by Leon86

@ Covert_Death

The CPU is your limit and the campaign has many AI units.

AMD Phenom II x4 810 3.0ghz

DDR3 6GB Ram

Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC edition

Windows Vista 64-bit

Lags like a bitch at 1280x800 at:

Normal textures

Normal objects and terrian

Disabled shadows

Disabled HDR

No post processing

I shouldnt run this game at 10 fps as soon as I enter a town where tracers why abit.

I shouldnt run this game at 10 fps as soon as I enter a town where tracers why abit.

You are correct, what are your benchmark results? (Benchmark 1 & 2 from ArmA2)