FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Here's a quick and dirty wallpaper I made for the game. Enjoy.

cmdr.jpg

Abs

This reminds me of the Fallout series, Bethesda got the rights to the game and made Fallout 3 while all the Fallout 1 and 2 fans bashed the hell outa Bethesda and the game saying they are ruining the series.

I think you just don't get it. It's not like BIS has disappeared and hasn't already made a better successor more worthy of the name. We got ArmA 2 :)

Fallout 3 at least seemed to do a decent job of staying true to the name.

OFP2 might be a good game, but the name "Operation Flashpoint" just doesn't fit.

OFP2 can't go the same route of ArmA 2. There is no sense competing. They will simplify it to go for the more mainstream crowd. While that may upset fans, it's a smart move from a business perspective because ArmA 2 appeals more to the original fans anyway.

That's how I see it.

Edited by Maddmatt

Yo Abs, nice wallpaper, but you could stick a little OFP DR logo in the lower left corner :D

This reminds me of the Fallout series, Bethesda got the rights to the game and made Fallout 3 while all the Fallout 1 and 2 fans bashed the hell outa Bethesda and the game saying they are ruining the series.

Meanwhile Fallout 3 launches and is a massive success. The old fans of fallout 1 and 2 tear it apart at the nma-fallout.com forums while in the official forums new fans love the game.

Man this is like the same situation. We got people bashing the game at BI forums and will continue after release. Meanwhile OFP: DR will sell many copies, be a big success and be praised around the rest of the web.

My advice: let it go !

It will be called OPERATION FLASHPOINT and will be advertised as a milsim type game. Time to accept and move on.

Well, it sounds similar up to and including the first part. Unless you can tell the future, the rest of it is crystal ball gazing. With all due respect to your psychic abilities, we'll see what happens when it happens.

Love the wallpaper, Abs. Like how you used the pelvic-thrust from Pure Pwnage. :p

b142e1fd.jpg

Is it just me? As i some how find that "bleeding badly" and "nothing serious" is the keyword.(really, since when did bleeding badly not being a serious thing)

Everyone else around the web and in game reviews will be calling it a milsim and praising it etc.

Thats what i honestly think will happen.

Probably not a milsim, but they will say tactical shooter. Like CoD4 is a tactical shooter. Same genre it seems.

More than likely this will be the only place that will hate on OFP: DR.

Everyone else around the web and in game reviews will be calling it a milsim and praising it etc.

Thats what i honestly think will happen.

Ah yes! If everyone else says it's good, it must be good!

Meanwhile OFP: DR will sell many copies, be a big success and be praised around the rest of the web.

Again, things that are good and things that sell well are often two very different things.

Edited by echo1

To quote clarkson:

"stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound"

Guys you heard that its been leaked that Dice is making Battlefield 3?

Won't be out until next year but I bet that game has more promise than OFp DR :)

Opinions & facts mixed...and a promise of "hardcore video"

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=359683

Hi all,

The below has come direct from the pen of Sion Lenton, Executive Producer of Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. In the below he has addressed a lot of the concerns that some of you have had with the E3 footage you saw, as well as giving you a bit of inside info regarding what went on at E3!

-----------------

"First of all, Kudos to the Dev Team for a lot of hard work putting this build together, the reaction from the show floor was consistently positive and the queues were long.

I guess its one thing to play a game and be immersed in it and another thing to watch a recording off the screen of some “dumb COD player†(that would be me thank you very much!) playing this level for the benefit of the many press who came to see it.

Please remember we are now in an intense period of balancing and polish.

* As you all correctly surmised this is a modified version of the intro/tutorial level running on XB360. The thinking behind this was to make something users could pick up and play, we generally had only 10 minutes to demo the game and so needed something more compact. It is not representative of the main campaign missions which are much longer and more atmospheric/tense/dramatically paced

* This mission also has a number of secondary objectives which (if they choose to) the player can attempt, you hear them called out at the beginning

* The demo is absolutely definitely on Assisted (Easy) mode

* We were next to the Lego Rock band stall, nuff said! After day 2 it did begin to grate a little, however by day 3 we’d lost our marbles and were happily dancing and singing along

* These videos do not do our game justice; they are filmed from cameras pointed at a wall-mounted screen, positioned above the screen we were playing on, so the angle wasn;t great. Our game looks beautiful!

* The ‘Russian’ fireteam leader is supposed to be Hispanic! I don’t like his voice either, we are re-recording him!

* Artillery will make a noise as it falls thru the air (if you’re close enough)

* Alex Vestin’s estimates to run the island do not take into account recovery times from sprinting

* Sprinting and jogging animations have been addressed; focal point is now more static whilst still retaining the ‘handheld’ impact of footfalls

* We are still optimising particle effects, smoke grenades and smoke mortars already last much longer (minutes instead of seconds) this would have been easily observed if I had set one off

* Time of day/lighting/colouration/balancing etc. Call it what you will is under constant review

* Reload animations; not final speed

* I enjoy the occasional banana, but I’m more of an apple man

* Darth Eclipse, I recall meeting your dad, he must have been the guy who ‘Had to play this game and report back’

* Artillery times were faster for the demo

* Bottom right of the map = Time of Day

* Everyone has exploding red barrels, and I mean ‘everyone’. (I checked )

* Last comment on the barrels, they are not one shot explosions, often in the demo I would need to fire a couple of bursts to get it to explode

* There is definitely distanced based sound delay, im surprised you didn’t notice it! (must have been the Jackson 5)

* Weapon sway is in, but wasn’t in E3 build

* The build did not lag, I refer you the filming methods

* The guns sound like the real thing, I’ve compared both, trust me. The sound in OF: DR is fantastic, youtube does not do our awesome audio dept justice. The recent sound team updates give you a glimpse at the amazing work they are doing on the game

* Muzzle flash differs for every weapon

* The command radial is 3 layers deep, you only see a fraction of it in the video and it is context sensitive

* If you want to know what hardcore really looks like, look out for an upcoming video dedicated to the hardcore mode

* The USMC turned up and enjoyed seeing the game in action and so did the Army (obviously they thought they should have their own game as well )

* My personal highlight of E3? Watching half a dozen infinity ward devs queuing to play OF: DR

I hope this info is of use to you, we most certainly do read and discuss the forums (when we have time) please bear that in mind next time your about to press submit I’d like to thank you all for your comments. We try to take as much on board as we can however we are approaching the end of development so time and resource is very precious.

It seems the reaction on the whole has been very positive and this is a real shot in the arm for the whole dev team.

Oh, one more thing, I’ve just been informed we have been nominated for best PC shooter of E3.

Sweet!

Ian 'Helios' Webster

Community Manager

Edited by Cross

Interesting that he doesn't address the fact there is no leaning...

Looking forward to this hardcore mode vid, should be good to finally have some sort of comparison between Arma 2 and OFP: DR. Atleast for me.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist :D:

OAvPWO_ts4M

Interesting that he doesn't address the fact there is no leaning...

You know I thought for sure that the one area DR might outplay Arma2 was in the CQB, but WTH, no leaning? What does that mean you straddle sideways exposing your whole body when in close combat...? I can't believe they chose to leave that out more than anything else.

@MDX- LOL!

yep 300 pages for only 14 pounds :)

They're basically giving it away! ;)

Can't wait for the useful info like this:

"Don't waste putting 10 bullets into enemy soldier's head just to make him bleed, shoot the barrel next to him instead!"

:yay:

Good to see them address the issues. Hopefully it's only easy mode.

Funny to hear about the Infinity Ward devs playing the game, guess even they're sick of the same old gameplay :p

Still, those explosive barrels are overboard. They should burst into flames first and the explosion shouldn't be so powerful.

They're basically giving it away! ;)

Can't wait for the useful info like this:

"Don't waste putting 10 bullets into enemy soldier's head just to make him bleed, shoot the barrel next to him instead!"

:yay:

Pro-tip: You can recognize the explosive barrels by their distinctive red color.

I actually remember lots of games with explove red barrels, and alot of them were very fun arcade games. :D

@Maddog: Ok, now THAT's funny!

I wonder how they can write a tactical manual specifically for the game if they are still 'polishing and balancing' it? Won't the gameplay change if they make a tweak in the AI? Won't it change if they alter the damage one can take? Or the armored vehicles? Interesting, But I'll be surprised if it's not much more than generics and fluff.

Just saw this:

PC version in multiplayer mode, 16 against 16 players support, together with three

fellow AI per person will be a total of up to 128 soldiers. Console is 4 v 4 with 3 Ai per

player totaling 32. From E3 news release 2009

60 weapons and more than 25 vehicles (China and USA) From E3 news release 2009

It's a RACING game engine. You know, beautiful country, physics, dirt.. And a total of about 50-100 moving objects total, Detailed, destructable objects no doubt.. But very few.

This method of utilizing internal resources is the software equivalent of going to the local 'food service store', buying big cans of cheap ravioli, dumping them in a pot, and calling it a 'Gourmet Italian Dinner'. It's a canned package that is not really meant for it's retasked purpose.

Edited by Scrub

Come to think of it, why would i need to pay 14 pounds when there is a possible better one around the internet for free and dont need to worry about breaking the law? :p

Edited by 4 IN 1

You know I thought for sure that the one area DR might outplay Arma2 was in the CQB, but WTH, no leaning? What does that mean you straddle sideways exposing your whole body when in close combat...? I can't believe they chose to leave that out more than anything else.

@MDX- LOL!

It's a console port, perhaps it will have a cover system of somekind instead.