FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Codemasters can forget it! I spent £150 on getting TrackIR 5.

I left Call of Duty to get away from Arcade games, DR looks just that and arcade game.

Bohemia rules!

Edited by HOPEnSPIRIT

Stand back!!! CodeMasters PR implosion IMMINENT! The excriment has hit the rotary ocsillation device!!! *baaawhhaaaa... baawhhaaaa..* <-- *ahem* that's supposed to be a klaxon. :p

(get ready for the refugees)

It's funny to see some of the attempts to defend it -

...because soldiers do not lean in real life
Don 't worry guys, just run and gun, and you will love this game.

and my favorite -

OFP1 had no lean

I sincerely hope that there was some sort of irony in those sentences that I didn't pick up on :p

Edited by echo1

It's the blokes who insist OpF did have a lean that worry me more.

They might not know that the original was on PC, they could be thinking about Elite which did have leaning.

There is some grain in ArmA2 also but I think it looks really good.

afaik that's just a bug where it doesn't switch off when you take off the NVG's

afaik that's just a bug where it doesn't switch off when you take off the NVG's

Actually, Arma2 has an optional postprocess grain effect that can be activated via scripting - also others, like colorization, desaturation, blur etc.

These are used in the campaign, for example. Also most of the stock SP and MP missions, I believe. :)

EDIT: Just to be clear, the grain effect they use in the campaign is not really noticable at all. I discovered it by unpacking the campaign files and checking the scripts.

No it makes sense, the ability to lean fled the island alongside the civilians to make room for REAL WAR!

Official excitement level: Flacid :(

Actually, Arma2 has an optional postprocess grain effect that can be activated via scripting - also others, like colorization, desaturation, blur etc.

These are used in the campaign, for example. Also most of the stock SP and MP missions, I believe. :)

EDIT: Just to be clear, the grain effect they use in the campaign is not really noticable at all. I discovered it by unpacking the campaign files and checking the scripts.

You also have the grain in the main menu when it’s dark. It will cover the whole screen if you put the gamma on the highest setting.

It's funny to see some of the attempts to defend it -

...because soldiers do not lean in real life

Don 't worry guys, just run and gun, and you will love this game.

and my favorite -

OFP1 had no lean

I sincerely hope that there was some sort of irony in those sentences that I didn't pick up on :p

I saw those posts earlier today, and I think they were intended to be ironic. :)

In addition to the foolishness of these decisions by CM from a tactical/gameplay standpoint, with TrackIR in particular, it's not like it's a foreign concept to them. Several recent CM titles have had TrackIR support integrated... a couple of them after the community badgered them about it for long periods of time. Myself, as well as many others, have communicated our desire for this tech to be integrated into their game. This has been happening for months, if not years. And now, this is the response?

I'll probably still check it out, for curiousity's sake--and the hope that maybe they'll reverse course in a post-release patch. But, it no longer excites me like it used to.

I was a little hesitent about ArmA 2 at first, just because I love single player campaigns as well as online muliplayer/coop, and ArmA didn't treat me too well in the former dept. After reading tons of reports on A2 and OFDR, my allegiance is clarifying.

ArmA 2, FTW!

This game is so... brown and full of bloom. It makes me want to vomit.

why does everyone bash OFPDR ? i mean you guys have not even played the game and i admit i am supporting both ArmA 2 and OFPDR, but seeing so many arma fanboys bashing the game without even first touching it is a bit drastic... , and yes from what ive seen ArmA2 looks more like a better game, but im going to try OFPDR anyways, i don't need to bash it to show my support for ArmA 2.. i show my support by buying ArmA 2 and Enjoying it.

I don't get why everyone needs to bash the game so much??? have you played the game yet?? i saw alot of people before bashing arma 2 and saying OFPDR is going to be a kick ass game and now its the other way around. We will see when the game comes out..., I really don't see why people need to bash games as if its totally necessary. I think both games will be great, but in my personal opinion i think arma 2 will be a much better game than OFPDR.

why does everyone bash OFPDR ? i mean you guys have not even played the game and i admit i am supporting both ArmA 2 and OFPDR, but seeing so many arma fanboys bashing the game without even first touching it is a bit drastic... , and yes from what ive seen ArmA2 looks more like a better game, but im going to try OFPDR anyways, i don't need to bash it to show my support for ArmA 2.. i show my support by buying ArmA 2 and Enjoying it.

I don't get why everyone needs to bash the game so much??? have you played the game yet?? i saw alot of people before bashing arma 2 and saying OFPDR is going to be a kick ass game and now its the other way around. We will see when the game comes out..., I really don't see why people need to bash games as if its totally necessary. I think both games will be great, but in my personal opinion i think arma 2 will be a much better game than OFPDR.

Other than you just said the same thing three times over and over again, yes, OFP: DR needs to be bashed for a simple reason. There are people out there who played OFP and were highly excited by the game. But they never touched ArmA for whatever reason. Now they hear about OFP: DR and think it might be the successor. Which it is not. They visit the CM forum and read about it being the successor. Which it is not. Eventually they will read the posts of some ArmA2-is-the-real-successor-of-OFP-dudes and come to read in BI forum. Here they will learn "teh truth" about what was going on the past 8 years and realize that OFP: DR is the sandbox game without the sand, while ArmA2 is the sandbox game without the box :D

why does everyone bash OFPDR ?

It's not much about the game itself, but its about the name "OFP/OPERATION FLASHPOINT". To use the name, one must adhere to certain 'standard' if you want to call it that. But what happen now is it's nowhere near "OPERATION FLASHPOINT". I would think ppl would care less if they call it 'Dragon Rising' or whatever. Just drop the name "OPERATION FLASHPOINT".

Hence the hostility

It's not much about the game itself, but its about the name "OFP/OPERATION FLASHPOINT". To use the name, one must adhere to certain 'standard' if you want to call it that. But what happen now is it's nowhere near "OPERATION FLASHPOINT". I would think ppl would care less if they call it 'Dragon Rising' or whatever. Just drop the name "OPERATION FLASHPOINT".

Short, precise... and so true!

I see you have been shot in the head. Don't worry, it's nothing serious, but you're bleeding badly.

I'm going to wear this out if it kills me.

Oh, not yet. We are not even close to the barren, thread bare, ratty, tattered waste that is to come.

Oh, not yet. We are not even close to the barren, thread bare, ratty, tattered waste that is to come.

More than likely this will be the only place that will hate on OFP: DR.

Everyone else around the web and in game reviews will be calling it a milsim and praising it etc.

Thats what i honestly think will happen.

More than likely this will be the only place that will hate on OFP: DR.

Everyone else around the web and in game reviews will be calling it a milsim and praising it etc.

Thats what i honestly think will happen.

I doubt it. Plenty of the same stuff on the Codemasters forum...

I see you have been shot in the head. Don't worry, it's nothing serious, but you're bleeding badly.

I'm going to wear this out if it kills me.

Our new meme.

Hence the hostility

Spot on!

This reminds me of the Fallout series, Bethesda got the rights to the game and made Fallout 3 while all the Fallout 1 and 2 fans bashed the hell outa Bethesda and the game saying they are ruining the series.

Meanwhile Fallout 3 launches and is a massive success. The old fans of fallout 1 and 2 tear it apart at the nma-fallout.com forums while in the official forums new fans love the game.

Man this is like the same situation. We got people bashing the game at BI forums and will continue after release. Meanwhile OFP: DR will sell many copies, be a big success and be praised around the rest of the web.

My advice: let it go !

It will be called OPERATION FLASHPOINT and will be advertised as a milsim type game. Time to accept and move on.

No sht.

Arcade games sells more than SIM games.