Sign in to follow this  
Gunnarmarine

why you don't milk grenades

first it's not a cow, second nothing is made perfect. In iraq we had to give up our grenades because of a bad batch. It so happens it had a 1-3 second fuse. either way I think my hand would of blown off if I used it. also don't pop the spoon before you throw.

Sounds like some kid trying to pretend he's a vet with some totally useless trivia.

Bothers me to see this type of thing because someone trying to garner the "glory" from the comfort of his little hide away is degrading to the service men who actually are on the front lines.

Sounds like some kid trying to pretend he's a vet with some totally useless trivia.

Bothers me to see this type of thing because someone trying to garner the "glory" from the comfort of his little hide away is degrading to the service men who actually are on the front lines.

No, that's me!

My service time is so long gone that I begin to sound just as an old World War II veteran.

Back then everything was better. The women had curves and grenades were really dangerous. On my first grenade throw, I was more nervous than at my very first time with curvy Caroline.

I made the sergeant's attention that I "had my pants full", and that he should make sure that I do not throw away the ring first.

Edited by Beagle

"why you don't milk grenades"

Οk there must be some insider joke here and I don't get it.

As a bloody old vet of computer games I heard the term once somewhere. It means that you should not try to hold the grenade some seconds before throwing it. You throw them with the clip attached so they don't go off early.

Besides, I'm with BeerHunter.

That's OK Beagle.. I remember the first time I fired our FN.

We were straight off weapons training that started with .22's where we were taught proper safety etiquette , breath control etc.

The damn things made a whole lot of noise and kicked like a mule and I was nervous. The Range Officer said simply hold it tight and squeeze the trigger. Guy 2 down from me was also afraid so he held it about 4" away from his shoulder when he fired. The screams of agony could be heard all the way out to Farnham.

They hauled him away and we continued. My turn.

Hugged that lil sucker into my shoulder as hard as I could , closed my eyes and pulled the trigger.

After I knew what to expect , wasn't so bad after all (unless you tried fully auto..3 rounds then the birds started to come down :p).

(BTW - those were my cadet years in Quebec , served in KOCR Reserves in Calgary).

Ahhh the good old days... :p

Edited by BeerHunter

I don't understand what he's trying to advise us.

Actually I don't understand what it is to â€Milk a grenadeâ€

Since it's not the act of cooking it off (releasing the handle prior to throwing the grenade.) As that was a separate warning.

I would like the OP to clarify his warning, so that i don't accidentally milk my grenades.

Addendum:

I actually found out what the term â€milking a grenade is.†It IS the act of releasing the handle before throwing.

Which makes the OP even weirder. Maybe he thought the lesson so important we had to be told twice with different words.

I support the theory of a bragging civilian seeking acknowledgement in the presence of elite wargamers.

Addendum:

I actually found out what the term â€milking a grenade is.†It IS the act of releasing the handle before throwing.

Which makes the OP even weirder. Maybe he thought the lesson so important we had to be told twice with different words.

Awesome, advice for something i cant do in a game anyway! :o

Since it's not the act of cooking it off (releasing the handle prior to throwing the grenade.)

As another lesson, from my life as holiday soldier, I'd like to add that cooking explosives happens when the stuff gets too much heat (e.g. in a fire) and blows up. Happened for example on the USS Franklin in WWII (no, I wasn't there): After it got hit and the deck was on fire, some bombs cooked in the fire and went off after some minutes. (There should be video footage on the net somewhere.)

So IMHO and AFAIK cooking explosives off is not like milking grenades. Well, any vet here correct me IIDRC.

Late Edit: Just for completion ... Wikipedia has it all:

Cooking off (or thermally induced firing) refers to ammunition exploding prematurely due to heat in the surrounding environment. It can also refer to a technique used when throwing grenades to achieve a controlled, predictable explosion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_off

More in the article about grenades.

I would like the OP to clarify his warning, so that i don't accidentally milk my grenades.

lol :D

Edited by Atrocious

i lived on a farm when i was young,we had an old bull named Grenades.i was young and stupid,i thought it was a cow.i FULLY understand what the OP is talking about. :D

i lived on a farm when i was young,we had an old bull named Grenades.i was young and stupid,i thought it was a cow.i FULLY understand what the OP is talking about. :D

LOL :p

...and women.

LOOOOL...:icon_dj::biggrin:

Well obviously, milking grenades requires pressure to the teat, where as cooking off a grenade involves placing it in a pan of simmering water and stirring gently.

i thought it was called "cooking off" a nade not "milking".

I always called it priming the grenade...cooking off is when ammo gets too hot and explodes

As another lesson, from my life as holiday soldier, I'd like to add that cooking explosives happens when the stuff gets too much heat (e.g. in a fire) and blows up. Happened for example on the USS Franklin in WWII (no, I wasn't there): After it got hit and the deck was on fire, some bombs cooked in the fire and went off after some minutes. (There should be video footage on the net somewhere.)

So IMHO and AFAIK cooking explosives off is not like milking grenades. Well, any vet here correct me IIDRC.

Late Edit: Just for completion ... Wikipedia has it all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_off

More in the article about grenades.

lol :D

The largest accidental, non-nuclear explosion in history happened during world war one when a munitions boat, the SS Mont-Blanc collided with some other boat in the Gulf of St. Laurence on Canada's east coast. The ship burned until it exploded.

All buildings and structures covering nearly 2 square kilometres (500 acres) along the adjacent shore were obliterated, including those in the neighbouring communities of Richmond and Dartmouth. The explosion caused a tsunami in the harbour and a pressure wave of air that snapped trees, bent iron rails, demolished buildings, grounded vessels, and carried fragments of the Mont-Blanc for kilometres.

"Cooking" explosives seems to be different from "cooking" a grenade. One is a general term applied to too much heat on the outside casing of a bomb and the other is a semi-slang term used by some to describe the act of priming a grenade before throwing. Others call it "milking". Amirite?

Another piece of trivia, if I remember correctly there is a munitions boat similar to the Mont Blanc grounded off the southern coast of England. If that went boom it would do pretty much the same thing.

Techno is correct. Cooking off is heating til detonation. Cooking a nade is holding with pin and safety lever removed to allow the delay to burn a while before throwing.

Milking a nade on the other hand is what you do if you are a moron. This involes holding onto the nade (you think the safety lever is still in place) and loosening grip enough so the striker revolves and hits primer thus exploding nade in your hand!!!!