Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

NVidia default is 3.

But I'm always changing this value to reduce mouse lag.

Normally to 0, but in A2 it looks like 1 is the best choice.

MfG Lee

I agree to that. To get better/faster mouse handling i also see the best result at "1".

EvilFury:

Did you test set those values in the ARMA2.CFG? Shifting them around changed the performance extremely much for me.

EDIT: You can test what people have written in here. Myself i forced VSYNC OFF with Nvidia CPL, and set the both values in ARMA.CFG to "0" (zero). After that i could raise the resolution! That was impossible before with heavy heavy stuttering and low FPS.

EDIT2:

BTW does anyone of you playing the patch see the tracks made on the ground by tanks/cars? I think i didnt see them in 1.04 even. Just tested driving around and there is no tracks. Also i remembered footsteps was made before but i cant see any. Maybe this was explained and i missed it or theyve been removed to conserve FPS?

Edited by Alex72

In one of my previous posts I appreciated that with the latest 1.04 beta, I had no popping up or flashing textures. This was true about the actual mission that I was in at that time (Cold Breeze, or what is it called - "Mrazivý chlad" in Czech). However, as early as in the following mission, all the texture problems are back (no idea why)!!

Moreover, I have another game stopper!! After capturing Novy Sobor, there is a cut scene where Father Fjodor is speaking to an angry crowd and tries to convince them not to fight. Now, there is a NAPA jeep (call sign Sherwood or something) and he is so keen on driving through the crowd that he ALWAYS kills one of my team who are standing there!!!!!!!!! Christ!!!! Problem is this scene is scripted so I cannot order my men to move aside!

I think i will have to wait for new beta versions, because 59026 patch is running fine and without noticable low fps.

@Alex72: I also have vsync off via ATT. What do you mean by both values in CFG file?

This is mine cfg.

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=93750;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1680;

Resolution_H=1050;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1680;

Render_H=1050;

FSAA=2;

postFX=0;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=530792448;

nonlocalVRAM=1878523904;

Edited by evilfury

In one of my previous posts I appreciated that with the latest 1.04 beta, I had no popping up or flashing textures. This was true about the actual mission that I was in at that time (Cold Breeze, or what is it called - "Mrazivý chlad" in Czech). However, as early as in the following mission, all the texture problems are back (no idea why)!!

Moreover, I have another game stopper!! After capturing Novy Sobor, there is a cut scene where Father Fjodor is speaking to an angry crowd and tries to convince them not to fight. Now, there is a NAPA jeep (call sign Sherwood or something) and he is so keen on driving through the crowd that he ALWAYS kills one of my team who are standing there!!!!!!!!! Christ!!!! Problem is this scene is scripted so I cannot order my men to move aside!

I think you might need to creat a ticket in bug tracker and see if there is other people suffer from this bug

now beginning to see some changes with this patch 59210

my config:

3D_Performance=-4194304;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1080;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1080;

FSAA=2;

postFX=2;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=928129024;

nonlocalVRAM=527433727;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=0;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

anisoFilter=3;

TexQuality=1;

TexMemory=2;

shadingQuality=100;

shadowQuality=3;

sceneComplexity=500000;

viewDistance=1600;

runs much much faster now SP and MP

good work Bis:p

That's a massive number for sceneComplexity. I think it's usually suggested to have it around 160000 with 180000 for the max size, any higher than that causes a massive loss in fps. Although, I guess it all depends on your setup.

500k is very high object detail setting.

oh man!

So i can set these two variables in Ray's Tool? and what about the arma2 file? should i set them there too?

why did i buy ati card :936:

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

this is the change log:

[59088] Mouse lag can caused by GPU render ahead buffer be limited using GPU_MaxFramesAhead=N in ArmA2.cfg.

settings these two values has been left to speculation!

You must configure GPU_MaxFramesAhead only.

The other value is just a number set by the game to indicate how much it has seen at maximum.

Drivers have this number (a variable equivalent to GPU_MaxFramesAhead, called Render Frame Ahead or Flip queue Size) between 0 and 10. Setting it in-game with GPU_MaxFramesAhead higher than the driver setting will make the game use at max the driver setting.

Setting GPU_MaxFramesAhead to a lower value than driver will force the game to use the lower value.

So, with GPU_MaxFramesAhead to 1000 or 999.9 or whatever you listed, ie wayyyyy above the driver maximum of 10, you didn't change anything.

try GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1 or GPU_MaxFramesAhead=0

Don't touch the other value

This setting (GPU_MaxFramesAhead) actually depends on the fps youre getting. With tripplebuffering (wich arma2 uses), the optimal values are as follows;

Fps below refreshrate:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

Fps above refreshrate:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=0;

Since ArmA2 is so demanding, most computers cannot keep fps above 60 (or whatever you set refreshrate to) so hence for most people MaxFramesAhead should be set to 1 (to reduce mouselag).

Read more at: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3601&p=7

ARMA2 has built in tribuff.

A "0" value is LOWER fps with the 59210. my test=33fps

A "1,2,3,4,8" is higher fps with 59210. my test=43fps

Using the official 104.59026. my test=43fps

Using the official 104.59026. with any Value, my test=43fps.

My sceneComplexity=1000000;?! a million? was default? is that just a stupid non working number?

Edited by kklownboy

However, i was playing Cipher coop with my buddy yesterday, and we were both hunting down the road towards the objective on motor bikes.

when the other player hits the horn, i cant heare it. Its probably not very important, i thought id mention it anyway....

I can hear the engine sound, but not the horn. anybody else?

i noticed that a few betas back (1.03 betas. 1.03 might have had it too, never tested it plain) and wondered why i could not hear my friends horn but the AI could and would turn directly to me and start to fire if i managed to get close unheard. can that be fixed please? its hard to tell someone which vehicle your in when your in a crowd of vehicles :)

also just changing my drivers from the signed drivers and the beta Nvidia drivers have gave me a good 5 FPS increase in the beta.

191.03_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_beta ( that was my driver installer title)

i'm not going to bother with these numbers in the arma2 file, i left them like this;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=;

with read only file then used ATI tray tools, set vsync to off and flip queue size to 4 and refresh override to 72. Default setting in ati tray tools to high quality.

In the main menu i get 114 fps and during the game 40 in siege the tower user created mission where there are plenty of houses, i see minor screen tear only when i scope 80-fps. I also get some minor texture popping up only in the beginning of the mission. I'm very happy with the results, then later on i uninstalled CCC.

btw by changing these 2 values

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=;

do we still have to set the arma2 cfg file to read only?

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=;

yes, otherwise the game will write the values back to the file.

If you're going my route then don't forget to create arma2 profile in ati tray tools then edit 3d settings.

Edited by InFireBaptize

I think GPU_MaxFramesAhead= is an input and GPU_DetectedFramesAhead= is an output.

Meaning if you change GPU_MaxFramesAhead= then the game will read from that and utilize that value, but the GPU_DetectedFramesAhead= is driver based and is just telling you that that's the value the game detected that is set by your driver.

This means that if you set, for example :

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=8;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=2;

Then set the file to read only, and your driver is set to max pre-rendered frames=4 then the game will detect 4 frames and you'll get a value of 4 frames ahead, but the value of GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=2 won't change in the arma2.cfg (due to the file being read only) even though the game will still use the value of 4 instead of 2.

So long story short, no, I don't think you need to change the file to read only.

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=;

No, I didnt, whatever value I set, stays. Edited by kklownboy

I think GPU_MaxFramesAhead= is an input and GPU_DetectedFramesAhead= is an output.

Yes it is.

There is no point in setting the file to read-only, never has been.

Yes it is.

When i first got arma1 i used to set mine to read only when changing colour depth to 16-bit as if i didnt any temporary in game changes to other settings used to write 32-bit back to the file. I presume its the same in arma2.

Edited by xmongx

Did everyone miss what i asked?

Does anyone of you have tank tracks and tyres leave marks on the ground anymore? To me they disapeared i think(?) after 1.03 or so. I think it was in a beta they was gone first.

Maybe done to bring up FPS? Many situations where it was good to see them though. Dont know how many times i were the following car etc in a town and the guy in front took a turn i didnt see where i went - looked at his tracks and followed. Also in ARMA2 if someone went up a ladder you could see his footsteps by the ladder for a while. Very good it was.

Just wondering if it just my copy where i cant see them anymore.

Also noted the muzzle fire on M16, M4, M249 and probably more are too far to the left when firing. Will make a DH ticket. Just checking again if its just me.

..Does anyone of you have tank tracks and tyres leave marks on the ground anymore?

I have never seen tracks i think.. Should i?

Yes it is.

actually there is a reason to set to read only, if you want to keep a vidsetting when you start up everytime, even tho you test other settings saves a step... and or force a refreshrate. using a CRT with many choices, A2 hasn't always given me the refresh i want.

I have never seen tracks i think.. Should i?

Tank tracks and tyres on cars left long tracks on the ground yes. Also footsteps from units was shown in some places. But tracks/tyres was shown basically everywhere.

They are gone now.

tank and tire tracks are missing for me.

and sometimes when tanks or structures get destroyed, they just vanish without any debris.

I am still seeing tracks, are you sure they are missing?

Are you pulling my leg now? :D

Seriously though... Im starting to think i need a full reinstall of the game. Just getting weirder and weirder with each beta.

EDIT: And yes mate. I got no tracks since many builds back.

BIS: However, the mouse handling is perfect now! Skipping is gone since the last beta. Just so you know. Got nothing to complain about anymore. It started with NO problem, and we went through some scary stuff, but you turned it around and gave us options for the mouse and all is good. :)