Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

Hello all.

Well i have to say... The new 1.04 patch, the beta that is, is amazing.

I have between 30 and 55 FPS all the time playing Cipher 1.33b.

The frame rate is still jumpy, but is now in very playable regions.

before, playing the same mission, i had between 20 and 35 fps.

Thats also with the new 191.xx Nvidia drivers.

so far so good:-)

However, i was playing Cipher coop with my buddy yesterday, and we were both hunting down the road towards the objective on motor bikes.

when the other player hits the horn, i cant heare it. Its probably not very important, i thought id mention it anyway....

I can hear the engine sound, but not the horn. anybody else?

From a lot of testing with the latest beta v59210 i also have to say its really good. I ended up with disabling VSYNC and set both the "GPU_MaxFramesAhead" and the "GPU_DetectedFramesAhead" to 0 (zero). Somehow it made me do something that was never possible before - raising my resolution from 1024x768 to 1280x1024! Ive played for hours on all maps i have, and it runs great.

Just amazing, and the mouse doesnt feel skippy anymore when set this way for me. Initially i tested with the "zero" setting and it lagged a lot, but i hadnt disabled VSYNC wich has been needed for even smooth gameplay before.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

and the "GPU_DetectedFramesAhead" to 0 (zero)

That isn't a value you set. It's ArmA 2 reporting the highest number of pre-rendered frames that it detected the last time it ran.

But yes, I also found a value of zero to be best for "GPU_MaxFramesAhead" because it eliminated the bit of mouselag I got when the game went below 25FPS.

From a lot of testing with the latest beta v59210 i also have to say its really good. I ended up with disabling VSYNC and set both the "GPU_MaxFramesAhead" and the "GPU_DetectedFramesAhead" to 0 (zero). Somehow it made me do something that was never possible before - raising my resolution from 1024x768 to 1280x1024! Ive played for hours on all maps i have, and it runs great.

Just amazing, and the mouse doesnt feel skippy anymore when set this way for me. Initially i tested with the "zero" setting and it lagged a lot, but i hadnt disabled VSYNC wich has been needed for even smooth gameplay before.

Alex

i will try that after work. Have you done the above with mouse smoothing enabled/disabled?

That isn't a value you set. It's ArmA 2 reporting the highest number of pre-rendered frames that it detected the last time it ran.

But yes, I also found a value of zero to be best for "GPU_MaxFramesAhead" because it eliminated the bit of mouselag I got when the game went below 25FPS.

Oh well, yes they are at 0 now, but only worked after i disabled VSYNC as i said. With VSYNC that stuff killed my performance UNLESS i raised the numbers... So anyway this is supposed to be used/not used: it DID make a difference when i changed the numbers around.

When i have played they are set to "0" as well so there is no change. But that also means then that there is nothing new in the beta's to counter the mouse skip? Just head ghosts again maybe... Oh f*** it. At least it works now even though i have no idea why.

InFireBaptize:

I have the mouseSmooth slider set to about 30% in the options. VSYNC OFF in Nvidia CPL. RivaTuner with 100% fan, and overclocked my card slightly. My Windows7 32bit give my PC score of 5,5. Specs under my sig.

There is a bit of info so you can compare a bit to my system and settings. Good luck getting ARMA2 to run bit better. ;)

Alex

Oh well, yes they are at 0 now, but only worked after i disabled VSYNC as i said. With VSYNC that stuff killed my performance UNLESS i raised the numbers... So anyway this is supposed to be used/not used: it DID make a difference when i changed the numbers around.

When i have played they are set to "0" as well so there is no change. But that also means then that there is nothing new in the beta's to counter the mouse skip? Just head ghosts again maybe... Oh f*** it. At least it works now even though i have no idea why.

InFireBaptize:

I have the mouseSmooth slider set to about 30% in the options. VSYNC OFF in Nvidia CPL. RivaTuner with 100% fan, and overclocked my card slightly. My Windows7 32bit give my PC score of 5,5. Specs under my sig.

There is a bit of info so you can compare a bit to my system and settings. Good luck getting ARMA2 to run bit better. ;)

Alex

hmm, don't know where but i read that ArmA2 forces VSYNC ON and disabling it in nVidia/Ati control panel yield no effect?

So the values that are automatically detected which in my case 1000, 2 supposed to be good? or are we supposed to fiddle with them?

My fault! :banghead:

I double checked the Beta shortcut as suggested and yes, regrettably, I had two "-" instead of one before -mod. So I was just running the exe.

That explains why I did'nt notice ant differences when I tried out the betas. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

After erasing the second "-" no more flickering. :)

I dont know if i am experiencing the "mouse skipping" issus

since beta that removed mouse smoothing i have notice that when i am moving very very slowly the sights starts "jumping" and skipping pixel, it is even more noticeable when floating zone is set, that when the gun is pointing at the edge of floating zone and starting turning the hold body it start skipping pixel

Is this what you guys are talking about?

hmm, don't know where but i read that ArmA2 forces VSYNC ON and disabling it in nVidia/Ati control panel yield no effect?

So the values that are automatically detected which in my case 1000, 2 supposed to be good? or are we supposed to fiddle with them?

If you force V-sync off in driver (nvidia control center) then it forces it off, but with ATi it forces it off unless an application overrides it. From what I hear, Arma 2 overrides ATi's forcing V-sync off, but it doesn't override nVidia's.

I have nVidia and I forced off Vsync, it's definitely off, I get some tearing sometimes in my screen. This gives me a few more FPS.

I'm starting arma2 with -world=empty so you see only water with constant fps to compare changes.

When I change prerenderes frames from 1 to 0 I get a fps drop from 105 to 84.

Changing from 1 to 2 there is no change in fps.

So my value of choice is 1.

MfG Lee

I'm starting arma2 with -world=empty so you see only water with constant fps to compare changes.

MfG Lee

was 1 your default value?

NVidia default is 3.

But I'm always changing this value to reduce mouse lag.

Normally to 0, but in A2 it looks like 1 is the best choice.

MfG Lee

ok just tested the new two variables with empty world:

1000, 0 nothing changed

1000, 3 same as above

1000, 5 nothing

2000, 5 nothing

gave up. I think nVidia users are seeing a difference because they have that option in the control panel but not ATI users, anyone?

0=undefined

For ATI you will need to use Ray's tool, and make a profile ect.. or you can hunt down your key in the registry.If you have alot of driver installs you will be looking for awhile.

And yes you can run them side by side and you should.If you dont have the CCC installed then you wont get the profile(s).

Edited by kklownboy

@ InFireBaptize

Mate you need to pay more attention to the change log. You are using the wrong values.

Read #833 and #842 and try again.

0=undefined

For ATI you will need to use Ray's tool, and make a profile ect.. or you can hunt down your key in the registry.If you have alot of driver installs you will be looking for awhile.

oh man!

So i can set these two variables in Ray's Tool? and what about the arma2 file? should i set them there too?

why did i buy ati card :936:

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

@ InFireBaptize

Mate you need to pay more attention to the change log. You are using the wrong values.

Read #833 and #842 and try again.

this is the change log:

[59088] Mouse lag can caused by GPU render ahead buffer be limited using GPU_MaxFramesAhead=N in ArmA2.cfg.

settings these two values has been left to speculation!

put them in. Then it will show you whats up after you run the game.

Its not a big deal.It wont make your game suddenly go up to 1000fps...

Just take your time ,figure out the prog (ATi Tray Tool). Test in the editor,also make a copy of your current .cfg's.

MfG Lee

Didn't make any difference for me. FPS stayed at 103 every time.

I tried both nvidia's control panel and arma2 config.

Nvidia 9600GT

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.00GHz

Asus P5E

XP pro sp3

Aint those value are just used to reduce mouse lag? There shouldnt be much difference on FPS, and it is best to have vscan turned off as with it on the fps seems to be largely affected, for ati users you might need 3rd party tools to force them off

Aint those value are just used to reduce mouse lag? There shouldnt be much difference on FPS, and it is best to have vscan turned off as with it on the fps seems to be largely affected, for ati users you might need 3rd party tools to force them off
You do not need a thirdparty tool.

And here is the deal. I get different FPS between 59026 and 59210.

I use my editor save. Have all my settings the same, and add the new .cfg lines-

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=;

Start the game up with 59210, go to my test mission. 33fps at start.Shut it down chk the .cfg I now have this-

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead="0";

GPU_MaxFramesAhead="0";

Load up 59026, i get 43fps!...

Start changing the numbers, 1,2,3,4,8 using both xx210 and xxx26.

59026 never changes(duh), but with the 59210 and 1,2,3,4,8 i get 43fps~ With 0 it is 33fps and is smooth.

3 was the most clunky/stutter movement, with 2 and 4 seeming to be less clunky than 3. 1 was best, smoother and 43fps.

59026 is as clunky/stutter as 3 with 59210. So for me is #1 FTW!

Here is the full .cfg

language="German";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=-4194304;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1440;

refresh=90;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1440;

FSAA=2;

postFX=0;

HDRPrecision=32;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=2023038976;

nonlocalVRAM=2023038976;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead="1";

GPU_MaxFramesAhead="1";

Thnx Bis

now beginning to see some changes with this patch 59210

my config:

3D_Performance=-4194304;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1080;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1080;

FSAA=2;

postFX=2;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=928129024;

nonlocalVRAM=527433727;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=0;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

anisoFilter=3;

TexQuality=1;

TexMemory=2;

shadingQuality=100;

shadowQuality=3;

sceneComplexity=500000;

viewDistance=1600;

runs much much faster now SP and MP

good work Bis:p

I have a different kind of problems. Low fps with 59210. In main menu when ship is shown i get only 10-15 fps. Even with empty world i get only 30fps, compared to 59026 where my fps are with empty world 130fps. I tried to uninstall beta and no changes. And yes my shortcut has -mod=beta. What the heck is wrong?