ArmA 2 Sound Design

Should Mark XIII become B.I.S. Sound Designer  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mark XIII become B.I.S. Sound Designer

• Yes of course.
    • Maybe. I'm not sure.
    • No not really.

Dear B.I.S. Team,

in the past B.I.S. made some good decisions by taking people from the Community to work for them.

One of the most skilled and talented of them was/is snYpir founder of E.C.P. ( Operation Flashpoint ) and now Lead Developer of VBS2.

MaddMatt a very populare and very skilled FX designer of A1.

He also made some FX for A2.

We really have some very talented people in the community, which put a lot of time and passion into their projects.

I like to name one guy, which really can make ArmA 2 feel totally different.

Mark XIII

For a game the sound is a very important aspect. Even more in war games like ArmA 2.

The sounds of a game make it rise or fall.

If you fire a weapon and it sounds like a old rusty can then you may lose interest in fiering the weapon, but if you can't stop fiering the weapon, becouse

you felt in love with it's sounds then for sure you use some sounds made by Mark XIII.

Since some time Mark XIII and me do share some stuff, where we are working on.

Some time bevore Mark XIII was that kind to send me a new version of his HiFi Sound Mod for A2.

It's private only, which means he do this modification only for a few selected people, where i have the luck to be one of them. :)

After playing a few minutes i immediately noticed the new unbelievable different which was added by his new HiFi sound modification and it was more then just WOW!!!

It change the whole game to a totally different side of view.

His sound's make every explosion a 1+ and every shot a 1++

I simply don't understand, why B.I.S. do not get this guy to make the sound for A2.

For sure B.I.S. will take who ever they think they should take, but if we are true and if we compare the A1 and A2 vanilla sounds with the A1 and A2 HiFi Sounds made by Mark XIII, then we all will very quick come to the same result, which sounds are better. ;)

I bet he can do better then every other sound designer out there. ( Anyway which game it is. )

Mark XIII really is born to make sound modifications and it would be a shame to not have his talent in A2.

Here is a little video showing the ArmA 2 HiFi Explosion and SMAW sounds.

The video was made at an very early stage of HiFi, but already a big different and really worth to watch and hear. ;)

HiFi Sound mod

So please B.I.S. give this guy a go!! You will not regret it.

Thank you very much.

Umm...since when such internal decisions are made by public polls?

Are you thinking that BIS and Mark arent professional enough to speak/write and decide on their own?

Umm...since when such internal decisions are made by public polls?

Well why not? No one get's hurt.

Sometimes things need a little push so ppl start thinking about it.

No of course i think bouth of them are professional enough just in interrest.

Also this place is for suggestions. Isn't that a suggestion?

Well, if Mark is interested, he needs to contact them personally. Which he did.

What he can try is get in contact with BI via third party people, yet a forum is really

not the place at all for this.

Ok firstly, I would like to thank SNKMAN. He's been a friend on these forums for awhile now an I appreciate what he's trying to do here :)

Now...

As Kju states I did apply, as you can see above in the link.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=75375&page=3

So again thanks SNKMAN, its really nice to know people think good of your work and to go to so much effort on my part...

CHEERS

I know Mark is an extremely hard worker that strive for the best when creating. He is constantly pushing his work further to make it outstanding. Not only that but he listens to others in the know to double check his work. Ofcourse im being biased here since i know Mark, but when i feel someone is as professional and dedicated as he is im gonna stick by him and the OP by saying: Yes i think he should get the opportunity to help BIS. Why not? BIS needs all the help they can get, and here is a guy that can and will. Whats the problem?

Anyway, BIS knows where i stand. :) Mark's latest work - unreleased - is kick ass. Were talking about new ways of immersion never done in these series. Maybe it gets released as an addon, maybe not - but its quality enough to get into the game itself. In my honest opinion as a former sound wrangler.

Regards

Alex

I know Mark is an extremely hard worker ..........................

Mark's latest work - unreleased - is kick ass. Were talking about new ways of immersion never done in these series. .........................

Regards

Alex

so) this is great) I'm all at support yours idea now// but// whats a secret work???

whatsuuup??? @Alex72, @Mark XIII??? what you guys hide from yours) almost a friend friend) nikita's???

comunnity waits for some info/demo/promo/videos/screens))eta/reliasedate))

Edited by nikita320106

Well may there are some other way's but to me this is ok. :)

It's just a poll so everybody can think about it what he wants.

I did this becouse i do really love the work of Mark.

I never heared sounds like his. So why not support such a talent. ;)

Yeah so far his Sounds Mod is private only. Like many other project's too. He is not the only one, who make stuff which is/will not be released.

That's the reason why i made this poll. His sounds are just AWESOME and change the feeling of the game completly, so i thought he really have to support B.I.S.

But well... We will see...

Don't get me wrong! It's not in my mind to force someone to something it's just a little think about. :)

odd poll, but hell...the boy has some good skills!

Judging by what i've heard from his a10 sound mod, which is great and now this video SNKMAN posted, i would have to agree, personally i dont know Mark, (hey mark nice to meet ya) but he obviously knows whats up when it comes to sound design, and in all honesty alot of the stock arma2 sounds are not up to par with the rest of the game, so hopefully BIS will consider looking at him for future titles, or his private mod could maybe be implemented into the game, speaking of that, now im dyin to hear this private mod lol.

I say HELL YA! HiFi sounds was (IMO of course) the best sound mod for Arma1 (and I tried them all). He's the first one to get the bullet sonic cracks and the GAU-8 perfect. I remember when I was playing after I first installed them and got shot at and almost pissed myself lol. And of course all the other sounds were spot-on also ;)

Can't wait for (fingers crossed) HiFi Arma2!

Edited by No Use For A Name

In my opinion the original ArmA2 sounds are very weak! they transmit no realistic immersion. Even OFP and even ArmA1 sounds were better.

Please BIS improve this important effect.

In my opinion the original ArmA2 sounds are very weak! they transmit no realistic immersion. Even OFP and even ArmA1 sounds were better.

You and me must have two different sound files with our default ArmA II installation. For me, the weapon sounds far exceed ArmA's and DEFINITELY OFP's. OFP's weapons sounded like typewriters and lacked sonic cracks, ArmA's were just "ugly" sounding. ArmA II's now has many different sound files for such small things as even distant muffled explosions.

But I dunno, you must have something different.

If a soldier fire behind me i cant tell you if the soldier is close or far.

It does not have the perception OFP and ArmA have. I like some weapon sounds, the wind environment but the rest of the important sounds are miss placed, they do not transmit a realistic feeling and immersion. Also when the soldiers speak.. i think i don't need to say anything about the horrible words combinations. OFP was much better in this subject.

It doesn't happen much, but i have to disagree with you on this one Bravo.

Some of the sound effects in Arma2 are stunning, the "getting shot at" effects are really really good.

Of course it could always get better and if someone that makes stuff better could join the team that would be great!

Also I wouldn't know exactly what the job "Sound designer" would incorporate, but it might incorporate a lot more then "adding nice sounds", so my vote is uncasted as i don't know exactly what the job description is.

This doesn't mean i don't like what the guy does, it just means i'm plain stupid.

Edited by Yoma

I must say I dissagree also...Arma2 sounds are way better IMO. The ones that really need work are the heavy caliber (30mm, 20mm, 23mm, etc) and more variety for explosions. The weapon sounds are 10x better then Arma1/OFP (the AK-47 in Arma sounded horrible)

I don't know about you guys but while playing coop in mp servers i cant really understand if a vehicle is far or close to me, nor to mention i can't really tell, by the sound, what vehicle is.

While you are inside a truck the sound is strange.. sounds like a steam. Sometimes i feel the truck is flying and not touching the ground.

I hope and i somehow believe this will be sorted with time.

ARMA2 suffers from sound problems. It seems very few people acknowledge this. My entrys on dev heaven about it gets less attention than the score board showing wrong scores...

Not being able to hear from where sounds are coming is mighty serious in these kinds of games. But it seems no one gives a flying fart. Well all of us sound nuts noticed, but we cant change the core stuff sadly.

And on top of it all now Mark is without a computer... The world is caving in. :( I really hope something good comes your way mate, and soon! Your work is fucking amazing and it will be dull not to be able to beta test all the latest great sounds.

Good luck and may the force find its way back to you mate.

Alex

PLS....BI should make SOUND ENGINE NOT ONLY SOUNDS...sounds don't mean anything..The interaction and behavior of sounds means alot...It adds to the Atmosphere of battle PLS READ MY POST

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

My SPecs:

AMD Phenom X4 940 OC 3.2 Ghz

Ati 4870 Palit Sonic Edition

4GB 800mhz Ram

500GB

PSU 700 Watts Silverstone Olympia

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

i spent $1245 for my computer just for ArmA II and this Bohemia Interactive Dissapointed me...Should have bought Airsoft Equipment I'm so isolated from my Firends right now

Edited by Planck
Duplicated emboldened text.

I disagree .. arma2 sound is far better than arma1 .. the guns for a start. Yes its not going to be what modders can pull out the bag but comparing A1 sounds with A2 is easy.

Anyway, Mark has applied and so he should IMHO, would be nice to know sound for next arma releases were coming form a source we are familiar with .. if it happened.

No offense to Mark XIII and I haven't tried any of his stuff for Arma2 but I'm really happy with the sounds in Arma2. This is the first time I haven't been actively waiting for a sound mod. Of course, more variety in terms of explosions would be better but overall I really like it.

re previous couple of posters.

couldnt disagree more with people who think the sound is good in arma2. APC's that sounds like VW Campervans, mini guns that sounds like a childs plastic toy gun. etc etc it really is very poorly done considering in a military sim sound is so important for situational awareness, identifying friend and foe etc.

Id support anyone who can fix this!

While you are inside a truck the sound is strange.. sounds like a steam. Sometimes i feel the truck is flying and not touching the ground.

Not only that but inside the cockpit of an aircraft you can hear a seagull or bird when you pass them up LOL.

---------- Post added at 06:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 AM ----------

re previous couple of posters.

couldnt disagree more with people who think the sound is good in arma2. APC's that sounds like VW Campervans, mini guns that sounds like a childs plastic toy gun. etc etc it really is very poorly done considering in a military sim sound is so important for situational awareness, identifying friend and foe etc.

Id support anyone who can fix this!

Amen,

I am familiar with Dynamic Sound library and BIS uses sounds from it. Although, I don't think the guy in charge with the sound took very good consideration on picking the proper sounds for it. Not sure if he'd done enough research. I don't want to sound negative or talk down on him but there are thousands of sound effects that would have fit better for all weapons and explosions.

BTW, Mark's computer died , if no one knows already, so everyone hang tight for him to return with some great stuff.

---------- Post added at 06:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 AM ----------

Yeah, actually a bit better than ArmA1. OFP, for the time it had come out, sounds were realistic enough, it certainly immersed me, difference is is that ArmA1 and 2 have hundreds more sound effects , that are probably not all are used, like ArmA1. But for ArmA1 and 2 to come out with just a tad bit of progress on the sounds, you would think that after waiting 6 to 7 years for a few OFP , or Arma rather, that the sound improvements would have been colossal.

Edited by Chammy

I must say I dissagree also...Arma2 sounds are way better IMO.

Yeah i too think the sounds of ArmA 2 are way better then the sounds of ArmA 1.

But well if you compare them with some sounds from HiFi then you totally hear the different. ;)

The Assault weapons and/or explosions of Mark's sounds mod feel much more powerfull and way stronger.

Edited by SNKMAN