Sign in to follow this  
Big Dawg KS

Tools Released

Awesome

I can bet that we are going to be seeing addons being pumped out every day from now on.

Let the modding commence :D

Ooh just found textures can be displayed in the O2 viewport now! Great stuff!

I have to say you don't deserve any thanks for this BIS, not a SINGLE new feature in visitor, same bugs too. What a disappointment. I truly regret having wasted so much time working with this pile of shit in the hopes that arma2 would at the very least bring about some new features and bug fixes to ease modders pain, but no... ultimately I guess I have no choice but to cower and bow with my ass held high and bare as there are no comparable alternatives to quench the creative drive to produce large scale game environments.

Edited by Opteryx

Opteryx is right. V3 has not been changed atall, well apart from some strings added here and there and maybe a lil more code. BIA have managed to create Visitor 4, why not release that lil beauty, I am sure that members of the Terrain Making community would not mind purcahsing some professional tools for use with ArmA 2. If not that then sort out V3. Please??

Okay Community Update yesterday and tools released today and upsurge in BIS response to questions...I dunno what to do with myself :)

Let's keep this up!

BIS is awesome:)

Plus an expansion pack coming for this awesome game :D

Opteryx,

I do believe you just said what everyone else has kept bottled up inside! It is indeed a sad day. Why must we keep silent? It seems as if anything negative at all is said, a thread gets shut down. Seems like bad business to not listen to your best clients and even more so when you shut them up.

Opteryx is 100% on the mark!

Why must we keep silent? It seems as if anything negative at all is said, a thread gets shut down.

Because people don't know how to do so without breaking the forum rules...

It's rare to see people who have legitimate complaints, much less seeing them post them without flaming.

um lol is all i got, and underground is where we go, speak your mind why not

though i have never heard opteryx say anything to the likes of being so upset. can't really blame someone that has spent 5k+ hours making some top notch stuff... and still using tools that are.. 'toned down' from the ones used to make the game.

oh well... like opteryx said... there is no other sim engine to produce large scale environments.. so i don't get mad.. nor cry 'foul'... no sense any more...

lets just hope they honor their word and do watch the people that actually have 'experienced' input to add.

So basically,

We (The Community Modders) get given, ok sub-par/average tools that work but are full of bugs. So that is 1 development task, community tools. Ok, so the second is the BIS Official Closed Elite Tools complete with KY Jelly, I am guessing judging on other sources they include (Landbuilder, Better versions of V3 and O2 more tools we dont know about) all of the ones listed there when used in paralell i can only imagine work really well. So I propose this. As an update say maybe in a few weeks or something, BIS releases the tools that they use to create there mods, what can be so secret that you guys cant release them to us? If you were to release some of the tools even if it was just Visitor 3 Updated of Landbuilder to work with eachother then i can see the LOD of some of the terrains to go up ten-fold. Also with O2, personaly I havent looked at the 'special' versions of all of these but, again, what is so different, and what makes you guys so 'special' so that you can have them, so instead you then use another DEV team to create a 'dumbed' down version of the tools and then pay them more blah blah blah. Instead you could release the tools to us and all of us that is saving money, time that could be used for fixing A2 and therefore making everything alot more productive.

Not a flaming thing or a complaint just a suggestion that is backed by a massive community.

Just my 2 pence.

OChristie

Big thank you for these tools. I thought first that those are too complex for me but FSM editor is too good to be true. It offers endless possibilities to mission making without drowning to separate triggers and scripts. I just opened one FSM script from campaign and I have already first FSM-script running that I made myself.

Big thumbs up for the O2 improvements:

- viewport directx (finally no more retarded viewport shading)

- textures in viewport

- new Tools

- new scripts

- select many cases at once (even though i dodnt know if this was there before but i just noticed it)

+ rvmat binarization :) awesome thnx bis.

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

GEORGE SANTAYANA

Lets examine two companies and their respective products:

Microsoft = buggy Windows

Apple = OSX

Now, Windows, by general consensus is plagued by bugs because of the closed and secretive nature of its source code where on the other hand OSX, being relatively open sourced has much fewer bugs.

This can be directly compared to what we are experiencing now. I wonder how much money BI would save if they let the highly skilled and talented members of the community fix what was wrong? They've been fixing things that were broke for years, it wouldn't be anything new.

OSX is the worst example. And apple is the worst company. You blame Windows for being closed, but have you looked at all apple products?

Big thumbs up for the O2 improvements:

agreed and meant to say a good thing or two about what was released... didn't want to sound like i was upset. just taken off guard by opteryx's post.

and the FSM editor is very nice as well.. just finished messing with it.

So...are there any updated tutorials for this stuff? Or do the old ones still apply 100%?

Thank God they're out....let's hope for the sample models! But, for the record. I've began work on my projects again.

Do the new tools have the ability to set up hand positions on the weapons as they are in ArmA2? Such as holding a vertical grip etc.