Sign in to follow this  
.kju

Object drawing distance tweak

I dl'ed both from dev haven. It appears the low visuals still work (got used to them and see no difference now)

Draw distance definately does NOT work and I dl'ed them again beforehand...

I just had a look inside the new view distance pbo's. I believe the 'real' mod content is simply missing. To me it definitely looks like the new version is doing nothing.

Small build accident made, I guess ;)

Regards

A.

Thanks for the reports!

Fixed version available at the same place/link.

Mikero's rapify was the troublemaker. :)

Thanks Kju! Your the greatest. :)

Damn it was annoying playing without this addon... Really does a lot.

EDIT: To be completely honest it seems i get better performance with this. I dont know if im correct in this, but it seems that when this addon is in effect it loads the objects out in the VD fog but not the textures (or the very lowest textures maybe), and that makes it smoother for me than without wich will load the objects plus higher textures at the same time wich will give me "stops/stutters" as villages comes into view. Superb.

Thanks.

Edited by Alex72

:o I haven't tested it yet, but if this last report is true then BIS should definately look into it.

Not being able to see tanks at set VD is also a big gamebreaker.

I'm trying to get the latest versions for _visible at distance files but i can't download anymore without a dev-heaven account. Is this correct?

*fixed*

Edit: needed an account to get to files.

Edited by zeep

You can use the guest account as stated on the site. ;)

This addon is a must for all Arma players!! :D

It increased my performance and you don't see objects appear and disappear at short distances, everything at a distance suprisingly still has a High LOD value, meaning you can be looking at a person at 1000 meters away and they still have some detail and it doesnt take forever to transition from each lod like I did before I installed the mod. :dancehead:

Kju this is a Brilliant Mod, but I really hope BIS can do this also in an update or patch, Object Draw Distance Sliders FTW!

Thanks though Kju your mods really help the playability of the game. :yay:

I think BIS should have sliders in the settings where you could tweak your own draw distance for objects, vehicles, grass and trees. Just like in Oblivion.

They should atleast make it possible for us to tweak the tree draw distance.

Luckilly we have kju, this is a very good addon!

This addon is a must for all Arma players!! :D

It increased my performance and you don't see objects appear and disappear at short distances, everything at a distance suprisingly still has a High LOD value, meaning you can be looking at a person at 1000 meters away and they still have some detail and it doesnt take forever to transition from each lod like I did before I installed the mod. :dancehead:

Kju this is a Brilliant Mod, but I really hope BIS can do this also in an update or patch, Object Draw Distance Sliders FTW!

Thanks though Kju your mods really help the playability of the game. :yay:

Agree... but SO depressing how many public servers still don't allow this mod, absolute insanity :eek:

Yep. Many pub servers doesnt seem to have a clue about the progress of the game when it comes to addons or doesnt care.

Not saying servers should allow all kinds of addons, but allowing the ones that make the game better in terms of performance, drawdistance, sounds etc. Would make the pub experience nicer for sure.

Yep. Many pub servers doesnt seem to have a clue about the progress of the game when it comes to addons or doesnt care.

Not saying servers should allow all kinds of addons, but allowing the ones that make the game better in terms of performance, drawdistance, sounds etc. Would make the pub experience nicer for sure.

Are these ran by indepedant admins/companies I don't know how servers really operate and all, but in any other PC game I've played like Wolfenstien the admins on there had their hands on alot of addons/mods, why would somebody not want to play with this tweak, are they not apart of this community? This boggles my mind.... No wonder why I still have no motivation to take my squad in PVP! :mad:

Madness!

Independant mostly. Some really good guys out there. :) Some share the payment between friends and let people play, and some have teams/squads that chip in and let others join when they dont have serious teamplay nights etc. And some lucky ones got powerful enough server at home.

@Kju: This addon rocks as you know. Are you making any more work on it or is it done? just checking.

It's not madness at all, if you run a P-v-P server (or to an extent any server) the last thing you want is one group of players able to see enemies farther away than another group. I do not hold with the philosophy that it is the second group's own fault for not coming here and seeking out all of the modding options available. The other issue with this modification is that it causes units to render before the trees that they may be in cover behind and we all know how that pans out with the grass/clutter.

Ok ok not the drawdistance then (wich everyone should play with. Unless you want the low drawdistance). Soundmods, nicer textures, better performance. Dont see the harm in that.

Just saying people should keep up more. When they dont - it gets divided. People wont go to some servers because they run vanilla, and think its boring (in many peoples mind after been playing with addons that enhance the game). So servers lose players.

Anyway - offtopic.

Edited by Alex72

Ok ok not the drawdistance then (wich everyone should play with. Unless you want the low drawdistance). Soundmods, nicer textures, better performance. Dont see the harm in that.

Just saying people should keep up more. When they dont - it gets divided. People wont go to some servers because they run vanilla, and think its boring (in many peoples mind after been playing with addons that enhance the game). So servers lose players.

Anyway - offtopic.

RHM4's/M16's :D

Ya I know the Problems Defunkt care to tell me again?

Kju for some reason I forgot where you posted it but you mentioned your having a beta test for a caching tweak I guess, does what I want and caches tree textures and stuff so its easier on the HDD, where's a link to that? :)

Are these ran by indepedant admins/companies I don't know how servers really operate and all, but in any other PC game I've played like Wolfenstien the admins on there had their hands on alot of addons/mods, why would somebody not want to play with this tweak, are they not apart of this community? This boggles my mind.... No wonder why I still have no motivation to take my squad in PVP! :mad:

Madness!

In those games, addons are auto synced.. it would be a lot better that way.

You can vote on this suggestion here: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/5520

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

Kju for some reason I forgot where you posted it but you mentioned your having a beta test for a caching tweak I guess, does what I want and caches tree textures and stuff so its easier on the HDD, where's a link to that? :)

Here is the thread for kju's test addons http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=88899

Anyone cares to test?

[60522] Improved: Longer view distance for objects when high view distance is used.

BI did not tweak the config, yet it seems an engine change.

So would be nice to see how it changed without the addon and with. :bounce3:

Anyone cares to test?

BI did not tweak the config, yet it seems an engine change.

So would be nice to see how it changed without the addon and with. :bounce3:

Heh i just downloaded your tweak like 20 min ago, but nice if BIS fixed :cool:

I set up the view distance for 7500 m and noted that your tweak still draws objects further away than the standard BIS values.

I was using a couple of A-10's to attack an AA battery. (With me on the ground as an observer). Using BIS standards, the missiles appeared first, and then the A-10's, wheras with the object tweak, I could see the A-10's as they fired their missiles.

Edited by Das Attorney
typo

Will test right away Kju. I posted over in the beta release thread that i thaught you would know. :D

Be back with report soon.

EDIT: Super fast test made me see tanks at over 4300m! (10,000VD used for that) :) Im sure i can see even further. Need longer island hahaha. Forgot to see if we see houses in the VD-Fog though. That i love with Kju's addon. Back to testing.

EDIT2: Hopefully this addon works together with the new so we can see it all in the VD-Fog. New beta is good for people that can have long VD, but it leaves the VD-fog empty and for me with 2500VD it doesnt bring anything. If it made us see objects INSIDE the fog it would have braught something for everone.

Oh well, back to Kju's addon. :)

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Will test right away Kju. I posted over in the beta release thread that i thaught you would know. :D

Be back with report soon.

EDIT: Super fast test made me see tanks at over 4300m! (10,000VD used for that) :) Im sure i can see even further. Need longer island hahaha. Forgot to see if we see houses in the VD-Fog though. That i love with Kju's addon. Back to testing.

EDIT2: Hopefully this addon works together with the new so we can see it all in the VD-Fog. New beta is good for people that can have long VD, but it leaves the VD-fog empty and for me with 2500VD it doesnt bring anything. If it made us see objects INSIDE the fog it would have braught something for everone.

Oh well, back to Kju's addon. :)

Alex

Yes, you are right, BIS fix do not allow building and other show in fog.

Stiil this is an essencial addon.

Yeah, the new beta seems to allow objects to be drawn up to the border of the fog.

Upon reaching that border, there is a hard cut, which works very well if you're playing as a ground unit, but could be improved for air units. Still its much better than before.

So Kju's fix is still a requirement IMO.

@Kju: Do you think it would make sense to give the trees another shot using this apparent engine change?

Not it does not unfortunately.

Either it is simply currently not possible or we just dont know how to make

a correct config for vegetation.

man I want such a supercomp to run higher than my 1500, but comp wont allow it (FPS would drop..)

Seems like a nice addon, I shall test it when I get my computer upgraded ;)