Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

WIP JTD Fire And Smoke

Manzilla that pic is just mesmerizing. Certainly I feel for anyone who took losses in that but what an awesome display of nature.

DMarkwick, looks great mate. So much atmosphere to be added!

That would be a good idea, but after the killed event I don't think the fuel for the vehicle is readable. I mean, I'll do a test on that tonight, see if it's true.

Don't know if you did your test, but the fuel should be readable. There is actually a burn script in the game that uses it, although it's only used for aircraft at the moment.

Hello all,

whats about heat flicker for burning vehicles?

Is it possible to integrate heat flicker, if generally possible, also for not burning ;) vehicles especially for the engine or the exhaust.

Tino

. Your Arma1 addon with viewblock is one of the few ESSENTIAL mods that I never play without.

Fact!

Yours was a standout mod for ArmA, mate. Truly. It made the overall immersion factor far far better. Can't wait to see what you can do for ArmA2.

Cheers

Hey DM,

Was just curious while playing aa2 today--will there be anything done as far as smoke grenades are concerned someday? It seems at least for me--not sure about anyone else--but the smoke from the smoke grenades usually don't seem to be enough or something and seems to disappear way too fast--again at least on my end. Maybe it's a visual problem at my end?

If not, figured I'd ask you. :)

Hey DM,

Was just curious while playing aa2 today--will there be anything done as far as smoke grenades are concerned someday? It seems at least for me--not sure about anyone else--but the smoke from the smoke grenades usually don't seem to be enough or something and seems to disappear way too fast--again at least on my end. Maybe it's a visual problem at my end?

If not, figured I'd ask you. :)

As far as anyone knows it's a bug introduced in patch 1.03. I guess it could be fixed, assuming it's just config settings, but it will probably be fixed by BIS in any case.

This new effects have some great impact on game perfomance?

I know its a little stupid question...but i'm a little curious about that.

This new effects have some great impact on game perfomance?

I know its a little stupid question...but i'm a little curious about that.

Yes there will be impact on game performance. There is a HELL of a lot more smoke & fire going on, and that will drag your fps down at least a little. But the real performance sucker is the viewblocks, as they cannot be "floated" like particles I need to constantly create and delete them, which can get horrible.

But then again, I base that observation on my own tests, which are usually deliberately heavy. Normal use should be not too bad at all, it just depends whether you think the drop is worth the extra immersion and functionality.

Lord, F***, that is just awesome!!!

nice, cannot wait for this, things are coming together here with some really nice wip mods that are going to make this game so epic, any eta on when you might get this out?

Very nice.

Now if a vehicle blows up, will it always spread on fire?

That could prove to be annoying if it had a high percentage of spreading

But the real performance sucker is the viewblocks, as they cannot be "floated" like particles I need to constantly create and delete them, which can get horrible.

Are you sure you even need the viewblocks? Particles should block the AIs view in ArmA 2.

I'm not sure how well it works though. Some testing is probably a good idea.

Are you sure you even need the viewblocks? Particles should block the AIs view in ArmA 2.

I didn't know that about the particles, if that's so then it makes my work SO much easier :)

Do you know how I can find out more about this?

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Very nice.

Now if a vehicle blows up, will it always spread on fire?

That could prove to be annoying if it had a high percentage of spreading

The tests I do are done on empty, static vehicles because the AI naturally avoid getting entangled in trees & stuff. In practice, in tests in Chernarus during even quite heavy battles, it only happens occasionally. And even then it's mostly single trees in isolation or in gardens or something. Occasionally a treeline will go up.

Edited by DMarkwick

I didn't know that about the particles, if that's so then it makes my work SO much easier :)

Do you know how I can find out more about this?

As far as I know it should just work, nothing special required. I don't think there is any info on it though.

I was told about it by a developer a while ago. Seems to be true, I've never been shot through smoke like I was in ArmA 1. And smoke grenades seem to hide me from AI (before/after the 1.03 patch that broke them, of course).

Yeah, it seems to be working alright, AI never shot me through smoke.. They try, but all thats visible is tracers coming from the smoke and flying away above my head..

Edited by Cole

No special setup for these particles? OK I'll assume that all particles are viewblock objects :)

Do you know if spaceobject particles are also viewblock?

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

'Nuther vid.

Should we start a poll as to whether people think that's real in-game footage, or whether D used his 1337 CGI skeellz to put real fire footage into ArmA terrain? :D

Great work. :)

I like it alot, but what is the fps impact?

I like it alot, but what is the fps impact?

I think, like most things about ArmA2, that each person must make their own minds up about the FPS hit. If I get 30 FPS normally, then with a heavy tank battle I get 20 FPS, I don't know whether I've lost a third of my FPS or whether I've lost 10 FPS :)

As I only have one machine to test this on, and this machine is about 5 years old, I cannot really say. However, It's nearly always at least playable even on my old rig.

I think, like most things about ArmA2, that each person must make their own minds up about the FPS hit. If I get 30 FPS normally, then with a heavy tank battle I get 20 FPS, I don't know whether I've lost a third of my FPS or whether I've lost 10 FPS :)

As I only have one machine to test this on, and this machine is about 5 years old, I cannot really say. However, It's nearly always at least playable even on my old rig.

Just wondering, it looks like it is worth a small hit, but it it would say take anything above 15% and other mods also taking its toll....well, you get picture. I can only state that it is really impressive work sofar, and adds to the immersion factor :icon_eek:

Perhaps it has been asked and i just didnt read it. But will the fire spread will be influenced by the weather (wind speed/direction and rain)?